• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Jane

Smash Hero
i ****ing love BTBAM. like, my love for them only grows, never diminishes.

i've been going on a BTBAM marathon since yesterday, and have loved every second of it. i can always appreciate something small in their music that i never caught before.

also, my least favorite album, alaska, is not that bad. its just that, aside from selkies, the first half of the album gets a bit bland for me (by BTBAM standards). but the second half of the album really picks up. backwards marathon is amazing, as well as the ending, laser speed.

tl;dr BTBAM > you

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Backwards Marathon has always been one of my favorites from BtBaM. I think I'm like most everyone else, because my favorite is Selkies, but yeah. I'm not a big fan of their first 2 CDs, tbh. I only really like Mordecai and Ad a Dglgmut off Silent Circus... and Destructo Spin... and maybe a few more. BUT, nothing off their self titled album stood out to me.

Jane

Smash Hero
oh man, i love their first two albums, i loved their original hardcore-y sound. but yeah those two, especially self titled, tend to be fans' least favorite album.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
BTBAM is still one of my favorite groups, but I hate that it seems they've found a specific sound that they are sticking to. Before The Great Misdirect, every BTBAM album sounded almost like completely different bands made each one. After Colors, they decided to stick with that kind of format and it's a liiiiiittle stale now.

Their self-titled slayyyyys. Use of a Weapon is by far their most overlooked and underrated song. The end of Fire for a Dry Mouth is one of my favorite BTBAM "moments" with the melodic 2-step riff. Also the emo interlude on More of Myself to Kill, the black metal riffs in What We Have Become, ALL of Aspirations...****, I just don't understand how most people think it's a weak debut.

The Silent Circus is a weird one. Something about the production and the way the instruments sound is really...weird. Mordecai will probably always be my favorite BTBAM song, but the rest of the album is fairly hit-or-miss. Shevanel Take 2 is the only song of theirs that I'm embarrassed to listen to in public. Ad a Dglgmut is classic, as is Camilla Rhodes and Destructo Spin.

Alaska is great. I think the only weak part about Alaska is that one instrumental, Medicine Wheel. It's very boring, and I LIKE quiet interlude tracks normally. I also hate the ending of Roboturner.

Colors, to me, is the best metal album ever made. It's in my top 3 of the entire last decade, and very close to being my favorite album period. I'll never forget when it first leaked, and I was so curious as to what it sounded like. I couldn't even grasp it at first, it was just too much.

The Great Misdirect is...okay. I wish they went in a totally different direction from Colors. But still, most of the album shreds. Disease Injury Madness is a perfect song and Swim to the Moon is brilliant. I don't like Fossil Genera very much at all, and I can do without Desert of Song.

I think the Parallax EP is slightly better than Great Misdirect, but like I said, the band is getting too comfortable imo.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
"These teardrops have salt stained my pillow" How can you not like those lyrics? :awesome:

Idk, I'm just not a huge fan of what BTBAM was going for in their first 2 albums. They're too thrashy and uncoordinated to me. The only song I liked off the first CD was Shevanel, because at least it was calm. And I only like Mordecai and Ad a Dglgmut for the calm parts. At least in Alaska and Colors, they didn't just sound like they were hitting random **** for half the song, for the most part. Like I can tolerate the thrashy parts in Alaska, where I really can't in the first 2. Plus, his growling vocals keep getting more and more tolerable as the years go on, which helps me enjoy the albums more. Colors is definitely my favorite CD by them. The Great Misdirect was good, but I don't find myself replaying it as much as I did with Alaska and Colors. The first song on Parallax Hypersleep is amazing, the other 2 didn't really stand out to me much.

I'm just really picky I guess. If something is too heavy or thrashy to me, I don't like it. I'm also not a huge fan of bree bree breakdowns, they sound terrible. I'm probably going against half the thread by saying this though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That's understandable. BTBAM was one of the groups that got me into this genre of music, and at first I pretty much hated everything except the melodic parts. The majority of it, like you said, sounded like it makes absolutely no sense. As I started to actually learn to play the music, the beauty of their composition just started jumping out at me. It's abrasive and discordant music, sure, but it is definitely not just random notes. I dunno. The sound just really grew on me. Now I'm absolutely infatuated with discordance and dissonance in music.

I disagree about Tommy's vocals. I think they are definitely the one thing that is not evolving at all. Listen to a song from the self-titled, like More of Myself to Kill. The sheer variety of different timbers and sounds that Tommy utilized was much more exciting than the monotnous and unchanging mid-range growl thing he's done on every song since Alaska even if he wasn't as technically proficient back then as he is now. The lows in More of Myself to Kill make me wet myself. It's all to individual taste of course, but man he needs to change it up once in a while.

To me, breakdowns are not inherently good or bad in themselves. They can be an incredibly powerful and effective stylization, but I think they should be rare. It should feel "earned" when a breakdown comes in. It should not be the only musical technique present in a song. The other problem is that people are so lazy and uncreative, that they use breakdowns as a crutch rather than a real emotional expression. They also tend to use the same handful of rhythm patterns so it makes so many songs in the genre sound alike.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
The last half of Shevanel Cut a Flip is the most beautiful thing ever, I love it.

Ad a Dglgmut and Lost Perfection B have the best breakdowns off that CD. Camilla Rhodes is a runner up.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
my fav BTBAM breakdowns!

self titled- Use of a Weapon, Aspirations

Silent Circus- Aesthetic

Alaska- Autodidact

Colors- Ummm. White Walls, I guess. These later albums don't really have much in the way of breakdowns.

Great Misdirect- Obfuscation

Parallax- Augment of Rebirth

my favorite breakdown of all time is probably this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSLWJoeF7c0#t=2m45s

.... or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU2nZC1lEcc&feature=youtu.be#t=3m10s

........or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkH0Yoj9fsc#t=4m0s

IAmHero

Smash Rookie
I have to agree with you about BTBAM Luigi. They have definitely stuck to a certain formula, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Parallax EP was cool. Their new album I'm sure will be just as good. I don't think they ever disappoint.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
AAL's new album leaked...

...and ALL THE SONGS SOUND THE SAME DX. Literally every song is a form of distorted prog/djenty groove with Tosin alone in the intro fingerpicking. There isn't a single acoustic or distortion-free song in the bunch, except for a few random tidbits and half of the song "New Eden" (also Wave Of Babies isn't on the album DX).

Good news is that Tosin is badass on it anyway, and "An Infinite Regression" is a BEAST of a song!

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I always felt like most AAL songs sounded similar anyways.

That's the thing, it's more monotonous now than before, trust me, if you've heard both of the singles released, you've heard the album :(. Odds are it will grow on me the more I listen to it, but so far only one or two songs have given me the "Damn that's good!" feeling that the first record gave.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well, they have one of those 10 string stick guitars. If I spent that much money on an instrument I would definitely want to use it to its full potential.

It's a little ****y and emotionless, but sometimes that is fun. At least in some cases. They're much more fun to listen to than Behold the Arctopus *shoots self*

Jane

Smash Hero

Jane

Smash Hero
rofl, there is some gold in the related videos of your links... abuela verga, rectal smegma, "tampax vortex - super*********" ahahahah

that fermented anal nectar song was kinda cool.

while we're on the subject of morbidly offensive bands, any of you guys ever listen to anal ****?

i lit your baby on fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5eFk5x0o44

you quit doing heroin, you *****
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AIJuRGYmWk

or my personal favorite AC song,

i respect your feelings as a woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEZunJmyjw

Top Bottom