• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The Human Abstract's last album has really grown on me. Some cheesy choruses aside, the instrumental aspect of the album is really awesome. Almost every track shreds like mad, and I love the neo-classical side to the band.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The Human Abstract's last album has really grown on me. Some cheesy choruses aside, the instrumental aspect of the album is really awesome. Almost every track shreds like mad, and I love the neo-classical side to the band.
I highly suggest you check out From Chaos to Eternity, Rhapsody of Fire's new album, then. They got dat delicious shredding. ;D

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I've always avoided Rhapsody because I imagine them to have that ridiculous Dream Theater power metal type singing which is a huge turnoff for me. What're some good new tracks to check out?
If Dream Theatre is too power metally for you, you should probably stay away from Rhapsody. Regarding Rhapsody's latest release, as expected a fine work. They've been heading for a darker sound ever since Triumph or Agony (quite hard to avoid doing so, though, considering how ridiculously up-beat their earlier work is (: ), which isn't a bad thing to me (Manticora being my favorite Power metal band by leaps and bounds, after all).
They've dropped some of the orchestra, which is rather sad for me though; I've really enjoyed their use of it. On the other hand the lack of Orchestra doesn't reduce the epicness of their sound, so it's fine :) - A very worthy final album finishing up the fantasy story they've been telling for 14 years now (favorite tracks for me: the title track and Tornado, Heroes of the Waterfall Kingdom has some weak parts imho, but contains really good ones, though, so I'm kinda torn on it.)

On a completely unrelated note: I've recently come across Gojira, who play something that probably is best described as Death / Thrash / Groove metal, or more easily as: pretty awesome. (youtube is hating me for being German again, blocking their content for copyright stuff, and I'm too lazy to fire up a proxy right now, so find sth to listen to yourselves :) )

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Care to elaborate? I'm talking about the bombastic bellowing Labrie does on most songs. It's annoying and cheesy, so I call it power metal singing. My least favorite example of that style of singing is the dude from Dragonforce. I don't know. It doesn't help that they are usually singing about flying on the wings of eagles or whatever. What is power metal singing, if that's not it?

Palpi

Smash Hero
I really dislike Dream Theater's vocalist, I dunno, I just don't think he is that great, Fabbio from Rhapsody is great, but just a little too, vanilla for me, if that makes sense.

Palpi

Smash Hero
My favorite vocalist is Tony kakko, from sonata arctica, I only really appreciate power vocalists with something different to offer, and think Tony has exacty that.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
@Luigitoilet: The ZP Theart (Dragonforce) ain't got **** on Ben Sotto from Heavenly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGL2zE6Qknk). Studioforce have the added bonus of being just boooring as a whole instead of just *way* over the top in a way which I can't take serious at all (like Heavenly), though. (I actually enjoy Heavenly a lot, if I'm in the mood).

@Palpi: Manticora got a pretty unique vocalist :D

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
@Luigitoilet: The ZP Theart (Dragonforce) ain't got **** on Ben Sotto from Heavenly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGL2zE6Qknk). Studioforce have the added bonus of being just boooring as a whole instead of just *way* over the top in a way which I can't take serious at all (like Heavenly), though. (I actually enjoy Heavenly a lot, if I'm in the mood).

@Palpi: Manticora got a pretty unique vocalist :D
yeah, I consider Dragonforce a joke more or less, especially after I saw them live. But, that was first thing that came to mind when I was trying to explain what I meant by power metal singing. Dragonforce is like the perfect embodiment of everything I hate about that genre, cranked up to 11.

Heavenly sounds a lot better...and he's a great singer but I still don't like it very much. Only sparingly.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Heavenly is a wonderful band and I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows them.

It's difficult for me to really articulate what's different about how labrie sings versus most other pm vocalists, just that I feel that there's a notocable difference from what I like.

My favorite vocalist is Daniel Heiman.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I've been learning a lot of Protest the Hero stuff lately, because I just changed to E flat tuning and I gotta give those guys props because some of this **** is hard as hell!

and man, the instrumental aspect is so beautiful without Rody meowing over the top the whole time

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Heavenly is a wonderful band and I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows them.

It's difficult for me to really articulate what's different about how labrie sings versus most other pm vocalists, just that I feel that there's a notocable difference from what I like.

My favorite vocalist is Daniel Heiman.
I'm trying so hard to know them all, and am always saddened when I realize there's so many amazing bands which I've never heard of, and probably never will :(

Another really unknown power metal band: Madryghal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzn446jYB9c
and some folk metal: Raventhrone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtEDaXOO0DQ

Oh, and what is Limp Bizkit doing in here? :(( I am disappointed!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Haha, I was joking about Limp Bizkit. I think it's hilarious that they are trying to make a comeback, and they sound exactly the same as they did 10 years ago.

but, they do belong in here more or less. Due to the level of activity/traffic this thread gets (read: barely any), I decided to make it an all inclusive "heavy music" thread. so yeah, even nu-metal/rap metal has its place here :3

Xyzz

Smash Champion
This is madness! Blasphemy!
Nah, jk, I personally don't enjoy nu metal (Disturbed being the only exception) / metalcore (I do like some a lot of non-metal stuff, but those two genres have failed to produce bands that are interesting to me.); but well, I suppose many people dislike black / doom metal, so each to his own (:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I pretty much hate all nu-metal outside of System of a Down and a couple of Korn tracks haha.

I love black metal, not a big fan of doom metal at all yet though.

I like metalcore a lot as anyone can tell from most of my posts. I am really more inclined to more experimental and progressive heavy music (not progressive in the literal prog-rock/metal sense, just as a general musical philosophy) so my favorite stuff is post- or math-core.

But, honestly, I try to ignore genres as much as I possibly can. They are only useful in discussion, but I almost never take genre labels seriously. It is much better to describe each individual band by their own merits than trying to throw a specific subgenre label on it

Geist

Smash Master
Dunno who's a Dream Theater fan here, but for anyone who's interested, they released their first single off their newest album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08

I'm surprised at the lack of instrumental ****ing, especially considering Mangini is on drums now. He fits well though. And Labrie doesn't do his wailing thing either.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I am a massive classic metal fan.

Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Motley Crue.

I love a bunch of different metal but Pantera just **** everything IMO.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Dunno who's a Dream Theater fan here, but for anyone who's interested, they released their first single off their newest album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08

I'm surprised at the lack of instrumental ****ing, especially considering Mangini is on drums now. He fits well though. And Labrie doesn't do his wailing thing either.
HYPE.

This sounds actually really good. Mangini's drums work better than I could've ever imagined!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Unearth is ****n awesome. I think they are metalcore more or less.

August Burns Red is good, but for some reason I just can't get into them. I've seen them opening for like four different bands over the years. They put on a good show, but I rarely ever want to listen to them on my own time.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Lykathea aflame. Since they're pretty obscure, and completly awesome (at least I think so, since nobody mentioned them to me, and there should be a a lot of folks who would've known I was going to LOVE them), I thought I'd mention them here :)

Prog death, somewhat similar to Edge of Sanity (and the first death metal band whom I like even better then them; might be the WHOAAAA NEW STUFF YAYAAAAYAAAAAY effect, but they're at least just as great =) ).

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I've gotten into As Blood Runs Black's new album

The intro is pretty beast.
Also JFAC's Genesis Album has been up there recently.

Top Bottom