• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Heh, Fox ain't bad at all, just catch him in a utilt and upsmash him, like 50% right there.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Luigi (i think) has the second worst horizontal movement in the game. And since luigi is generally played more aerial like, i can see why it would look slow.

However, it's our job to make him look as fast as possible ;p

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Luigi feels slow b/c you've been playing Wario... I CANNOT play Luigi after playing Wario so long.
how did you know...? (no seriously, HOW DID YOU KNOW? LOL) the transition to moving from wario in dubz to singles, than marth to singles etcc then to luigi does feel weird to be honest lol..

luigi slow? wtfff stop playin so much wifi hippy xD
he does feel slow though x_x i think i play too patiently sometimes lol

Luigi (i think) has the second worst horizontal movement in the game. And since luigi is generally played more aerial like, i can see why it would look slow.

However, it's our job to make him look as fast as possible ;p
He does have 2nd worst lol, worst one is DDD >_>.

and to make him look fast, ask chic, buffering at top speed on wifi makes u look gud.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I just D-air camp like a ***** until I see fit to Tornado. Speed problem solved. =P

Okay that doesn't really work against G&W that well...What also helps is getting them above you and then learning to use attacks while doing your jumps to increase your vertical mobility. Jumping into someone and D-airing is pretty ****.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Luigi is a super secret big fat fatty. He hits like a fatty. He lives like a fatty. And he even moves like a fatty!

As for fox, you really shouldn't be fighting him on SV unless it's his CP. Also, ban the **** out of FD. You want to keep the stage as small as possible because he's so fast and you;re so slow, and he wants nothing less than to be near you. Gimps are good, juggles are good. Uair hits him out of shinestalls and the dairs he tries to drop from them. You can chase a high shinestall with the side of a tornado, but thats not something you should do often. As for when you should platform camp? When you're ahead. Fox coming to you is never ever a bad thing. Just don't get predictable with it.

One way to try and get fox out of their camp game or at times punish them for trying is an old standby. Corner them on a ledge and short hop an aerial to a landing fireball. This one-two is particularly effective against fox's GTFO move, phantasm, in three ways. First, the short hopped (probably dair), can catch phantasm straight up, and send him off the stage for a guard. If you manage to catch him with the fireball it leaves him close to you and stunned. This also leaves you an opportunity to buffer a shield or jab, depending on what he's doing now. Or you can land with a tornado to keep him from getting comfortable.

Take what you like, leave what you don't. You know, play around with it. But those are some ideas.

Edit: I almost forgot. Don't **** with his dair when you're on the ground. Just roll away. It's just not worth it.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
i have a pink name to match my pink luigi

suck it LGD
Your name is magenta color, not pink. It would be the same color as my name. =P

Sigh, my friend DK2's Luigi is so good that he made my Luigi feel like a noob level by performing 3 Up-B's on me. I need more practice on my past main again. T_T

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
Wario's heavier than Luigi and lives longer than luigi Kev.

idk wtf ur talkin bout lawls
I'm perfectly aware of that. That's why the comparison you referred to isn't mentionned at all in my post -_-

idk wtf UR talkin bout lawls /lolcat-ghettospeak much?

140 isn't fatty standard by any means. Once you're hitting the 180s, then you're fatty. 140 is like midweight.
My bad, the conversion to B+ messed up my survival standards for vB lol

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Luigi might have slow horizontal speed and fall speed, but he makes up for it in lightning-quick attacks. There isn't one attack he has that I would say has a hitbox that comes out late.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Wario's heavier than Luigi and lives longer than luigi Kev.

idk wtf ur talkin bout lawls
Play me IRL and I'll show you just how long Luigi can live with proper DI and momentum cancelling. Luigi lives just as long as a fatty if you know what you're doing off the sides, off the top hes just midweight though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Most of the time, I live to like 170% with Luigi with good DI. Usually that's mainly because I'm too slippery to actually be hit by fresh KO moves and because I don't get gimped, not because Luigi is actually heavy.

Just saying...I mean one of the advantages to Luigi defensively is the fact your opponent can't put much shield pressure on you, and that Tornado and Nair are gay enough to keep you safe from a lot of stuff that would like to be called a KO move.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
What characters are you facing? B/c if we're gonna throw out random numbers, I've lived to 260 against Falco in tournament, and 230 against GW, 205 against Snake, and these are vs people that are pros with their character :\

Luigi isn't going to be hitting fatty numbers ever.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I live into the 180s pretty regularly. Fair fastfall missile is stupid good.

Most I've ever lived to was like 280 on some Ike kid. Well most in a tournament that is.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I'm perfectly aware of that. That's why the comparison you referred to isn't mentionned at all in my post -_-

idk wtf UR talkin bout lawls /lolcat-ghettospeak much?
Lolcat - ghettospeak, that's pretty funny.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I forget to DI upwards when launched sideways sometimes. Still, fAir to GM momentum cancel does a good job of keeping me alive.

You guys know what I forgot to test? I forgot to test if using a Rising Cyclone or SJP when launched upward will save you... What I mean is, even on Corneria you can fly up as high as you can and not knock yourself out. I deduced that perhaps when you use your own rising recovery moves you don't activate the top blast zone... so PERHAPS if you do a RC or SJP when launched upward by an attack you might be able to save yourself by actually flying higher. Can someone test this with the help of a friend? I'm all alone.

Skool Boi, isn't Marth's fAir faster than his dAir, and thus better at momentum canceling faster?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I've never tested it but I know the mechanics. You have to be under your own trajectory to live above the specified blast zones. If you're sent flying by an enemy's attack you don't have control over yourself until you at least fast fall (not sure if even that entirely counts).

The only character I know of that can kill themselves off the top is wario, not because he necessarily goes higher than anyone (I think sonic and luigi can get higher), but because his fart animation isn't considered "his" by the game.

yoshq

Smash Master
The only character I know of that can kill themselves off the top is wario, not because he necessarily goes higher than anyone (I think sonic and luigi can get higher), but because his fart animation isn't considered "his" by the game.
my friend and i were just playing, and he was wario, and he farted himself to death at 20% from off the edge at a spot right above the stage

TreK

Is "that guy"
oh ****.

I lost ALL the matches where I used Luigi today. I got the worst bracket possible okay, but wtf. And it's not just loosing, it's being 2 stocked. I'm sad. And I still don't want to drop Luigi. I did some random *** newcomer mistakes like nair spamming against a olimar, being too confident, all that ****...

**** that, I need smashfests. Wifi sux.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Skool Boi, isn't Marth's fAir faster than his dAir, and thus better at momentum canceling faster?
the f*** if i know i just picked marth up as a secondary, lol i main luigi

its me Jack Frost

I remember once i was fighting a DK with Marth and he hit me with some strong attack while i was at 160% i DI'd to the other side of the stage and dair'd twice and lived, it was crazy

the last post i made in here i was talking about when im using luigi

Top Bottom