• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

TheJerm

Smash Champion
tehehe, I copy jash's one video released on the the web.

That person knows nothing

Chip and jash are the best

Luigi is funny =]

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
dang, so i guess PT is better than luigi now according to certain people in the tier list thread
Which is total Bull, PT is being overhyped...PT's good where he is. Someone here with more Luigi knowledge than me go to that thread and say why it's...wrong :p

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
lol, I meant it as a compliment.

Esca is the best luigi, face it.. he's the future.
It's Boss, than Biglou....than a huge ****ing gap in skill between them and the next Luigi.

Boss doesn't even play this game that much but when he goes to tournaments he's still the best LMAO

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
so going back a page or so, I too find utilt with weeg to be a great kill move, often once you get them to around 100% they get real cautious and space alot more and it makes it quite hard to get that kill in so I've found that its often better to just build up a bit more damage and then go for the unexpected utilt kill rather then missing the kill move and being punished.

Famous

Smash Champion
I played pikapika at apex with luigi...On FD, Luigi wins the matchup...It's pretty even on Battlefield and Yoshi's

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Remind me to tell PhantomX to change ToC for the LBI. I have bad memory. Srsly, I'd forget my taint if it wasn't attached to the area between the sack & crack.

How did this lead to me talking about **** and ******?

Oh yeah, bad memory.

TheMann

Smash Ace
Luigi's got the slight advantage IMO. Or it could be cuz I get to play a good pika all the time and adjusted to the matchup. But it just seems Luigi can kill pika too early and abuse his stupid priority.

TheMann

Smash Ace
well i just read that he was just spamming fsmash in the game lol.... but pika does die extremely early :D
Lol really? XD Well... still good CP. Just gotta learn the match up. And hey, spamming F-Smash is too stylish ;). Its like a dance.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So...anyone here think PT>Luigi? Cause that's the general consensus in the tier list thread...

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I consider Luigi recovered as soon as he touches the stage; whereas, you consider Luigi recovered only after he has regained a neutral positioning on the stage. This is a fundamental difference.

Here's how it went ALiAs: zhao said, among many things, "Luigi's recovery is predictable." I refuted ONLY that in my post without anything about Marth. Then zhao brings up Marth gimping Luigi as support that Luigi's recovery is predictable, and in the same post says he hardly ever gets gimped by anyone except Marth and MK (which I consider contradictory). Then you make a long post where you explain your definition of "recovery" and pretty much say that Luigi's recovery is predictable because in the end he can't counter Marth when he's on-stage. I say you guys must not be recovering right, again without mentioning Marth. You ask for videos of me to make the point. I show them. You make an in-depth analysis of (your definition of) my recoveries and then say Marth and DK would have been better examples since they guard the ledge better. I post a video of Marth and say that the fact that Marth will not chase Luigi should make a point that Luigi's recovery (by my definition of recovery) is unpredictable.

There's a good amount of characters that can gimp Luigi's recovery (by my definition, up to when he reaches the stage). Marth is not one of them. Unless I make a mistake, I will touch the stage. And if he chases me off-stage, he's more likely to get KOd.

But for the sake of argument, I'll agree that Marth can easily gimp Luigi's recovery. That Marth is a beast at defeating Luigi's recovery. That against Marth and a few other characters, Luigi's recovery is nearly pointless. Ok... then does using the best gimpers mean that Luigi's recovery is predictable? Isn't that like saying you suck at basketball because you always lose against Kobe Bryant? If someone wanted to make a point about you sucking at basketball, wouldn't it be better to point out how you lose against someone who sucks at it? Luigi's recovery is sucky only if people who suck at gimping can gimp Luigi.

So how about we take Marth out of the equasion? Yes?
But I keep saying over and over again that it doesn't matter if he's predictable offstage, if the majority of characters don't have to deal with him off stage. Even if you say he's great offstage, my point was that it doesn't matter, because they'll just force him on the ledge, where he's worse off. You're praising a feature of Luigi that doesn't really matter. He's great off stage, so people don't mess with him. It's still difficult to make it back on stage without hitting the ledge first, and from there you're in a very bad position. If we equate that to sports, it's like running a soccerball up field and always getting boxed out where it matters most, on the last line of defense. You don't have to actively pursue the guy with the ball, you know where he has to go and you just let him go there. Outwitting the defense and bypassing them is akin to true progress if you ask me, everything else is just seeking an opportunity.

If say, he had a recovery like a floaty or Rob or something, then it would be more feasible to me by virtue of the fact that it's easier to prevent yourself from getting pinned up on the ledge. Wario in this case would be great to get back on stage, because of the ease of control and the speed he has in the air. His B moves that he can use to recover are easy to see coming and bait however, so he's hindered and his talents are moot.

It's not even the best gimpers, it's just character match up. I already said DK can shoguard and Mario can cape and fireball, they aren't what someone would immediately say "the top gimpers". DK is the example of forcing you to get to the ledge, and Mario is a mixture of that and active pursuit off stage/passive pursuit off stage (with fireballs). I'm not going to run down all the examples of how x character can gimp Luigi, because that's all theory craft and pointless.

Classicrf

Smash Rookie
Mario's cape/spike ***** Luigi off-stage, unfortunately. It takes creativity to beat Mario in that arena.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
So...anyone here think PT>Luigi? Cause that's the general consensus in the tier list thread...
lol nah. But it's pretty close to even since most of my games result some last hit games..

it pretty much gets pika in his advantage if Luigi doesnt get his early ko, or else pikachu can play a extremely gay hit and run and camping game.. but it's pretty fearsome matchup either way...

Themann, you live in the same state with the best pikachu possibly in the world lol. Course you get viable exp which is good =D

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Wow, I hadn't noticed how long a post I had made until you quoted it ALiAs. So, does that mean you accept that Luigi's recovery isn't predictable, even if only the off-stage part (what I consider the recovery)?

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
*facepalm*

Most Luigi users' recovery is predictable, I'll admit that. And I admit that once he reaches the ledge, Luigi is at a huge disadvantage against almost anyone. And I'll also admit that many characters can gimp Luigi's recovery. But he can mix it up so much that it isn't predictable.

No matter who you are, you're gonna reach the stage either from above, the side, or below (or in MK's case, from the other side of the stage)... not just Luigi. You see his slow horizontal speed and slow fall speed which gives the opponent time to counter him, and mistake that for predictability; but in the air he is still well able to be unpredictable.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I just don't think "predictable" is the correct word to describe Luigi's recovery. It bothers me as much as people calling his Cyclone a Tornado.

Which reminds me: anyone heard from zhao? The worst of the hurricane is over... he's probably without electricity or internet at home.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
hes still alive dont worry about it lol,

hes still on aim these days, elhe go get aim, and make kig get aim, and get luigiking aim and we'll have a cup noodle / meta game discsusion with all the kewl luigis like marios did

LuigiKing

Smash Lord

hes still on aim these days, elhe go get aim, and make kig get aim, and get luigiking aim and we'll have a cup noodle / meta game discsusion with all the kewl luigis like marios did
I has MSN though O.o And oddly enough my mom just bought me a giant thing of cup noodles because I moved =p

TheMann

Smash Ace

AIM party!!! I'm down.... I'm just barely on aim sadly lol. I talk to Zhao sometimes on there tho.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Sorry, AOL doesn't allow me to use "elheber" as a username and therefore I refuse to use AOL. When I try to sign up as "elheber" it says the username is in use. When I try to recover what I assume is MY password, it says the username "elheber" doesn't exist. So I say **** them.

It's gonna have to be MSN or no deal. Sorry again, but it's AOL's fault.

Top Bottom