• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

napZzz

Smash Hero
i wanna see ur vids of ur luigi nappy

go go go power rangers!!!!
I barely have vids of my snake, let alone my luigi or diddy >_<
What is it I should be looking out for as a Diddy? I main both characters (but I enjoy Luigi more, so I usually play him more) so I really want to be prepared for this. Actually I'm probably over thinking all of this but advice would be nice.
Watch out for snake. Its kinda hard unless you play it rly safe. I dunno. Falco can be annoyin gif you dont know the matchup

CR4SH

Smash Lord
What is it I should be looking out for as a Diddy? I main both characters (but I enjoy Luigi more, so I usually play him more) so I really want to be prepared for this. Actually I'm probably over thinking all of this but advice would be nice.
If the infinite is banned, play luigi on him. Juggle him to 75, if he bair camps you just chill underneath him and spot dodge when appropriate. Once you get him to 75 jab shoryu. You should take a game or more before he figures out what the hell is going on and how to deal with it. Unless of course he's really good, in which case, play well?

Otherwise, use diddy on marth, mk and gw (since diddy has the advantage and luigi has a disadvantage). There are a couple other characters I use diddy on too, but mostly because diddy ***** them extra hard and luigi feels slightly disadvantaged. Mainly ike and maybe wolf. That's strictly optional of course. Also if anyone cps you to FD, japes or mansion, diddy is a solid choice, though of course optional.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Diddy's "vs snake" matchup thread is pretty complete, check it out
The thing with snake is that we can't kill him till 200 ; so if you're leading by 50%, you're still considered losing.
That, and Diddy's best stages are Snake's best too, any CP strat is gone :V
There are still tricks to overcome this, which are found in Diddy's matchup threads :p

napZzz

Smash Hero
You gotta get a gimp a match on snake. Or else its tough to keep it equal :(

I dont think its rly that bad tho. SNake gets juggled like a *****, but its way too easy for him to rack up damage as well and kill low

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm gonna go Luigi on everything except MK, Marth and G&W. I originally planned on just going Marth for G&W but if Diddy has the advantage then I'll go for him.

I don't know what to say vs. Snake. I'll make probably just choose whoever I'm playing with best on that day. Luigi vs. Snake sounds like a pretty solid matchup though.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer

yoshq

Smash Master
oo luigiking you were nair? then i saw you playing some toon link on the livestream, good stuff.

and there you go, praxis said it, marth sucks!

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Thanks praxis! Didn't know you saved any with diddy. No one give me crap for losing to a Peach either, on FD her spacing game is really hard to get around, and Praxis is at the tippy top of Peach's metagame soooo... screw you guys =p

Also I think I did some neet stuff. The luigi mains out there who know what they're doing should critique me too since I don't get vids out that much.

And yeah Yoshq that was my tourney match against Dr. mario12. Hes freaking **** with TL. I won the set, but any other comments? I thought I played pretty dece.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I am completely confident about Marth. Trust me, you're spacing wrong. A lot of Peaches have similar problems with Marth, it takes a certain mentality. Luigi has the tools needed to space him evenly or near-evenly.
Luigi only has Jab and Cyclone against Marth for "spacing". Maybe F-air. The only way you're feasibly landing anything else (besides from juggles) is by powershielding or baiting Marth into doing something like DBing into your shield.

I really hate going up against other G&Ws, especially if they know how to abuse N-air and U-air. G&W has a perfect juggling game on Luigi due to how floaty Luigi is. If Luigi is above G&W, he's always going to get hit. Getting past G&W's D-tilt is also a chore, and if he's not Bucketing Fireballs, D-tilt neutralizes them.

Luigi is also one of the easiest characters for G&W to edgeguard if the G&W knows his tools. Weak F-airs (and Up-B) are enough to kill most of Luigi's recovery strategies, as they can stop even misfires and fully charged missiles. D-air is a guaranteed hit and potential stagespike (or vertical kill) on low recoveries. And then if Luigi really is recovering ridiculously high, G&W can just U-air to set up for some more juggles. =/

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
Luigi only has Jab and Cyclone against Marth for "spacing". Maybe F-air. The only way you're feasibly landing anything else (besides from juggles) is by powershielding or baiting Marth into doing something like DBing into your shield.

I really hate going up against other G&Ws, especially if they know how to abuse N-air and U-air. G&W has a perfect juggling game on Luigi due to how floaty Luigi is. If Luigi is above G&W, he's always going to get hit. Getting past G&W's D-tilt is also a chore, and if he's not Bucketing Fireballs, D-tilt neutralizes them.

Luigi is also one of the easiest characters for G&W to edgeguard if the G&W knows his tools. Weak F-airs (and Up-B) are enough to kill most of Luigi's recovery strategies, as they can stop even misfires and fully charged missiles. D-air is a guaranteed hit and potential stagespike (or vertical kill) on low recoveries. And then if Luigi really is recovering ridiculously high, G&W can just U-air to set up for some more juggles. =/
I think that Marth is a bit easier to faced than G&W when you are playing with Luigi.

The thing about G&W is that he is really RANDOM when it come down to facing him. He is really anoying and Most of Lugi's Move get beatten by most of G&W's Moves. The Only Moves that I say that can beat most of G&W Moves are Luigi's N-air, Fireball (Don't Spam it because of G&W's bucket), B-air, UP-B and possible Tornado.

Marth is slightly easier but yet hard to fight. Like G&W, most Marth's Moves has more Ranged than Luigi's moves. When I am facing a Marth player, I use Fireball because I can stop most of the Marth Players from doing something. Oh, and I attend to grab Marth as much times as possible.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The thing about G&W is that he is really RANDOM when it come down to facing him. He is really anoying and Most of Lugi's Move get beatten by most of G&W's Moves. The Only Moves that I say that can beat most of G&W Moves are Luigi's N-air, Fireball (Don't Spam it because of G&W's bucket), B-air, UP-B and possible Tornado.
Luigi's N-air always gets beaten by G&W's Up-B and N-air, and G&W's U-air stalling also makes it worthless. D-tilt beats Fireballs. G&W's F-air, N-air, B-air, and D-tilt are extremely difficult for Luigi's B-air to work around. Up-B is good if you can Jab him. Tornado gets stopped cold by F-smash or B-air.

If he's spacing correctly and playing super conservatively on stage, there is very little you can do to create an opening against him before he can block on reaction. Once you're offstage, he usually can be as aggressive as he wants, and there isn't much that Luigi, or anyone for that matter can do if he knows where your recovery is going.

Marth I guess is a little better to deal with since he has existent ending lag, so his juggles are a little weaker, and his offstage game covers less area, meaning you have more area to work with to get back onstage safer.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Wat

It's called back air >_>

It'll punish a whiffed fair every single time.

Yep. Yep.

Oh wait.

Everything you said here also applies to Peach.

G&W has no approach, and is obligated to approach due to lack of projectile. **** his 2D face.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I am completely confident about Marth. Trust me, you're spacing wrong. A lot of Peaches have similar problems with Marth, it takes a certain mentality. Luigi has the tools needed to space him evenly or near-evenly.
Peach doesn't get pushed out of range every time she regular shields an attack. Peach has a solid projectile.

Please explain or expand.

What good G&Ws have you played with Luigi good sir?
NOJ, please be less condescending in the future.

Suspect

Smash Hero
I played Hylians and UTD zacs G&Ws

Hylians in some singles friendlies back when i 1st picked up luigi and then in a teams tourny bout a month ago

UTDs in some team friendlies a while back

When i first started playing the matchup i got *****, but i know how to play it now. Wish i still lived in Texas to try against them :(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wat

It's called back air >_>

It'll punish a whiffed fair every single time.
Maybe it's just me, but I hate this move in this matchup due to its ending lag in the air. Which is why I specifically mentioned F-air, which has similar range, but half the ending lag.

G&W has no approach, and is obligated to approach due to lack of projectile. **** his 2D face.
No approach? Spaced B-air. Walk -> D-tilt. spaced N-airs. Fullhopped F-airs. You're not punishing those if he does them right.

If he gets the percent lead, he can just stall Luigi since Luigi basically has no real approach that doesn't involve baiting.

Also, he does have a projectile, and Chef is a safe move when he gets a volley out. And it's also a great way to edgeguard Luigi.

And LK, I HAVE played against other G&Ws irl in this matchup. That's partly why I hate this matchup so much. It's very tiring if he plays it correctly.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Spaced bair doesn't work on anyone. It's not an approach. You can drop shield and attack during the inactive frames, or just shield through the whole thing and let it push you back, or retreat and bair through the inactive frames.

Spaced nairs are easily punishable if used as an approach, they're only safe as a retreat.

You're wrong about Bair in the Marth matchup. Fair works amazingly as Peach and has similar properties. You should use it to punish missed fairs. The ending lag doesn't matter if it hits.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
So yeah, killing Marth can be hard as f*ck.

just played NEO last night and i couldn't kill him till he was at 240%

with an up-throw too.

flm

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So yeah, killing Marth can be hard as f*ck.

just played NEO last night and i couldn't kill him till he was at 240%

with an up-throw too.

flm
Never in my life has it ever taken that long to kill with Luigi :p. Smash F smash up angled :D. Course your alot better then make so what do I know :p

Worst it's taken me is 200% on lousy Snake.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Spaced bair doesn't work on anyone. It's not an approach. You can drop shield and attack during the inactive frames, or just shield through the whole thing and let it push you back, or retreat and bair through the inactive frames.

Spaced nairs are easily punishable if used as an approach, they're only safe as a retreat.
It works pretty darn well if you're that friend of mine who doesn't just SH spam it like an idiot. And what are you doing to punish it with? Jab? Oh right, you can Jab cancel, except the problem is Luigi's Jab cancel options all have much shorter range than his Jab, so depending on how far you slide/how much he doesn't suck at spacing, landing a combo gets pretty iffy.

And now just to be emo, let's think for a moment that this actually is a staple strategy. After all, the success of Luigi's Jab cancel does partly rely on neutral DI and interrupting reaction time.

G&W's N-air is safe on block, and excellent in crossovers. If he's keeping you guessing as to what move he's going to approach with, it's a pain in the butt to consistently punish him.

That wasn't even the worst of it, considering how hard it is to get around his F-air and D-tilt. =(

You're wrong about Bair in the Marth matchup. Fair works amazingly as Peach and has similar properties. You should use it to punish missed fairs. The ending lag doesn't matter if it hits.
What Marths are you playing? Because frankly, I honestly have had pretty little success spacing with B-air against Marths that don't throw out attacks randomly and let themselves get baited easily. I mean...if he just waits and just scouts your options with SHFFs, what are you doing to create an opening? B-air is much too punishable to be worth it except in combos and edgeguarding from my experience.

Jeb

Smash Cadet
Imo it's better to approach via a full hop + aerials/air dodging, going behind and a bit over G&W. Honestly, there's really nothing luigi can do on a direct ground approach because of G&W's dtilt + SH bair. SH'ing is still asking for a bair. Fireballs are fine as long as you don't... spam too many.

Also I don't know why a lot of luigis overuse the tornado on G&W. First, G&W's dtilt cancels out the tornado and it's easy to spam the dtilt, blocking the approach, and second the tornado is easier to shield grab than it looks.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But Jeb why would you ever approach him? You have a projectile and he doesn't, and if he dares to bucket you get a free uppercut.
G&W DOES have a projectile as a matter of a fact, and it has similar range to Luigi's.

Also, he can just Bucket at 0 percent, or edgecamp.

Once he gets the percent lead, he never has to approach. It's not even hard for him to approach due to how bad Luigi's fireball is and how hard it is for Luigi to challenge anything G&W does.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
**** yes i got to see boss yesterday guys, olimar+luigi > zss+ diddy (logic boss and snakeee and diddy kong even though it was a friendly) BUT OMG LMFAO BOSS ***** ADHD'S STOCKS SO QUICKLY LMFAO

i learnt SO much from my tourney, boss just mind****s with your head to the point he'd wanna make you cry LMFAO. i learnt that, on the ledge, ledgedrop to rising tornado can gimp like crazy, stage spike, and mess up diddy kongs upb recovery

i learnt that boss like almsot never green missiles 0.0. i learnt that luigi and olimar in teams are sooooooo beastttttt. they can make the legit comebacks as long as luigi gets the grab upb early asap.

i also learnt that diddy kong is ****ing hard as **** if he has 2 nanas and pressures u with them to the edge.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=253426

ny results thread ^^

midwest results thread =D

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8704486#post8704486

good **** cr4sh, also how did you lose to mister eric's rob? did you go luigi? cus i lost to a rob too in my winners bracket but went mario instead, because i personally think rob is gay >.>

CR4SH

Smash Lord
That was a really poor placement for me honestly. I did really bad in pools and that got me a ****ty spot in the bracket. Like, out of the people that placed 17 and 13, only eric, s2 and greg have EVER beaten me before. And most of them I usually beat up on.

If I had played correctly in pools I probably would have been up there with eric and sai. I usually place with them. But I lost to jon in pools. When you play snake and you're not thinking correctly, bad things happen. =\

As for eric? Well, he's pretty good and rob is a slightly bad matchup for luigi. Plus he knows the luigi matchup like the back of his hand. You should have seen the way he top gimped me on brinstar, it was really beautiful. I won the brinstar game with one of the sweetest shoryus of my life, but lost motivation in game 3. He's a real good buddy of mine and I have a hard time playing him serious, so when I get behind in game 3 I just start doing goofy **** just for a laugh.

Top Bottom