• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

Xylitol

Smash Rookie
Hey there Lucas boards, longtime Lucas main here who only recently made an account on SWF (I've lurked the Lucas boards and some other parts of the forums for a long while).

Now that introductions are out of the way, I have a quick question.

How do DKs usually go about chaingrabbing Lucas? Like, do they mostly just regrab him and pummel like a Marth would, or do they usually cargo grab, release from that and then regrab? Depending on the usual course of action, I might have found out some interesting (or maybe not? :cool:) stuff about the regrabbing part.

Xylitol

Smash Rookie
It's done out of the cargo release.
Alright. Now then, the frame advantage for DK is 20 frames, right? DK has to turn around and regrab Lucas after the cargo release. (right?) A grab alone takes 8-9 frames or so, I believe.

Just now I attended a small local tournament where a bunch of Southern Finland brawlers gathered. I played both friendlies and pools matches against a DK main, and he kept chain grabbing my Lucas. However, one time I guess I kept mashing my buttons a little too long trying to escape the grab so that I buffered an upsmash. DK's grab missed and I hit him with the smash. I assumed it must have been because of the few invincibility frames in the beginning of Lucas' usmash. This was fairly hilarious for the first time, as it seemed like an unlikely occurrence and a mistake on DK's part, but after testing it out in further friendly matches it seemed to work reliably enough that the DK player didn't dare to try chaingrabbing me in the aforementioned pools matches (I still lost, as a grab from DK still means a free dsmash for him :().

Does this warrant further research, is it just too situational, or is it impossible against a "good" DK?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
You pretty much hit it right on the head. Frame perfect, DK can always get the grab. However, if they don't get the timing right (which you refer to as "good") then the DK will grab during the invincibility frames and miss. I've already looked into this before, it's still an infinite, the DK just needs to do it right.

Xylitol

Smash Rookie
Oh, okay. Well, I guess I can still torment this particular guy with it until he brushes up on his timing. :awesome:

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
I've been main Ness for a while :ness: However, I feel like I've underestimated Lucas, and now I want to second him, because of his amazing abilities :D (his PSI magnet pwns) Is there anything I should be learning right off the bat before anything else? :lucas:
(Heheh, bat. See what I did there?)

lil cj

Smash Lord
I've been main Ness for a while :ness: However, I feel like I've underestimated Lucas, and now I want to second him, because of his amazing abilities :D (his PSI magnet pwns) Is there anything I should be learning right off the bat before anything else? :lucas:
(Heheh, bat. See what I did there?)

The only time you should second Lucas with Ness
is in doubles...their a great team

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
So I used to main Wolf, but had a Lucas epiphany, I'm wondering, to pull off the advanced techniques and play Lucas generally better how necessary is it to edit the buttons?

If it is essential, what should I edit?
Posting this here. ^^

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Are you able to punish lucas's Nair if you powershield it? I'm think PS>jab can work but then again it could be like MK's Tornado and I can PS>Usmash but I wanted to get it straight from the source.

Thanks in advance.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Are you able to punish lucas's Nair if you powershield it? I'm think PS>jab can work but then again it could be like MK's Tornado and I can PS>Usmash but I wanted to get it straight from the source.

Thanks in advance.
Not if they do it where it's 0 on shield.
If they buffer it out of a jump then maybe, but I don't know if PSing it is actually practical.

Tallbus1

Smash Rookie
So I used to main Wolf, but had a Lucas epiphany, I'm wondering, to pull off the advanced techniques and play Lucas generally better how necessary is it to edit the buttons?

If it is essential, what should I edit?

Kaoculus

Smash Cadet
some people have their c stick edited to be special. i don't have that but can still do ATs, but I do use l as special to zap jump. tbh though you can do without that too, it's just easier for me.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
c bouncing is the most updated and supposedly practical way to do AT's because u dont have to change ur s stick and u can still SDI.
but honestly b sticking is the easiest once u get used to it.
the c bounce hing takes forever to master the timing

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I remember Koozy's controls. About every single one of them is special.
It's all up to preference really. If you can get clawing down and what not, standard controls are just as good as special controls. I prefer to be able to SDI, so I just use standard controls and claw zap jump. Koozy will vouch for me on that one.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Why does KoozyKRIS seem to differentiate between C bouncing and using the Bstick in his previous post?

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Why does KoozyKRIS seem to differentiate between C bouncing and using the Bstick in his previous post?
Because Bsticking requires the C-stick to be set to "special" whereas C bouncing you let the C-stick stay set to smash attacks.

I use C bouncing bc in my opinion it's the best option bc it's easy to use, you can keep your C-stick for SDI, and you can use your C-stick for retreating F-airs.

The following is my control setup for C bouncing:

L set to jump
Y set to grab
Z set to special
Tap jump off
Everything else stays the same.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
1.) You can't Magnet Pull without PK Fire, you need to PK Fire's momentum to push the Magnet.
2.) When you start the Magnet after the PK Fire, have your control stick in a down/left or down/right position, then quickly slide it under the bottom in the other direction.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
I remember Koozy's controls. About every single one of them is special.
It's all up to preference really. If you can get clawing down and what not, standard controls are just as good as special controls. I prefer to be able to SDI, so I just use standard controls and claw zap jump. Koozy will vouch for me on that one.
yeaaaaa this dudes pretty freaking good at claw. im amazed everytime i see him do zapjump.

ΡΨ=2good

PZ

Smash Lord
So I was just playing brawl for a sec out of boredum then the cpu lucas uses pk thunder to recover and over sv's platform when he was suppose to fill the rath of ending lag he didnt even have any kind of lag at all

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Always DI towards the corner. If you hit where you would normally go into the ceiling blast zone, Fastfall B-Air or N-air is the best cancel. If you are hit where you would normally go into the side blastzones, air dodge and then double jump so that you go towards the corner more. Your ultimate goal is go towards the corners so that you have a further distance to travel and have enough height to make it safely back to the stage.

T-block

B2B TST
When stopping vertical momentum, the aerial you use doesn't matter, as long as you fast-fall it as soon as possible (you can fast fall as soon as the aerial begins).

For horizontal momentum, is air dodge really better than n-air? I forget when the cutoff is.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It's generally better to do a faster aerial in case you end up needing to a double jump.
Don't question my momentum cancel. Ask Koozy how well I live.

T-block

B2B TST
Why would you need to double jump when cancelling vertical momentum?

It's not that you're doing it suboptimally... it's that you're placing an unnecessary restriction on yourself =P

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm generally refering to moves that send you to the corner rather than straight up. If it's entirely straight up then yeah, doesn't matter. But most kill moves send you to the corner. So it's just a better habit to use the quickest aerial.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Could I get Frame Input/Window Maps for the DJ Zair shenanigans?

I'm having a hard time recreating it in real time because i don't understand the input maps from the video

TheFourthOctave

Smash Cadet
What's the main use for Lucas' zap jump? I usually find myself using it rarely to hit someone in the air with PK Fire.

TheFourthOctave

Smash Cadet
Okay, one more question(I'm somewhat a newbie with Lucas):
Is there a difference in trajectory with thundersliding to the left or right? I seem to pull it off more when I do it to the right. Or is it just me?

Top Bottom