• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Uh ok :) Just wanted to talk about the DK Matchup a little. When you were talking about that ''-If you do get grabbed, you lose a stock. DK has an infinite to kill move that's gaureenteed on Lucas.´'' I just wanted you to tell me which move that was. If its the Cargo throw grab release to regrab, is not guaranteed at all, not even the Down smash is guaranteed.

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
When Lucas is grab released he can DI away enough to not let Donkey grab you again or just Dsmash you. It depends to the side you are DIng. I say its not guaranteed because a smart donkey will start moving side to side trying to screw you. Anyways I will upload a video maybe on thursday. :p

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Isn't it frame proven to be GR'd

hence why it is banned at tournies =p

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Lol It doesnt matter if its banned or not at tournies :p the point is just to show it. I will post tonight If its guaranteed or not. The matchup still hard :S It would be 65-45 IMHO.

Edit:
Lol I mean...65-35. :p

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Ok so you cant escape really...:S I tested it again and the thing is that donkey has to grab you and just turn around. Sadly Lucas can do 3 things only:

1-Try to sorprise Donkey falling right in front of him and start jabbing like crazy (If he is expecting you will fall behind like you should). This you do it pressing away and with the C-stick keep smashing that same side.
2-Sorprise him pressing Up to get out of the grab and start jab again >.>(If you press up while being cargo grabed the game will read it as if you are pressing up every single frame and you will fall behind him)
3-If Donkey doesnt turn around (something I really doubt) just DI away from him.

I tested it on slow mo and the best I could get was getting the jab at the same time he grabbed me >.<

Lol still 70 - 30 Donkey ***** :/

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I've never found yoshi's island bad for lucas. With the slope you just have to change how you PK thunder, and make sure you don't stop in the middle, and you are fine. As for the left side, you don't bother trying to grab it(although i've slid up it a few times). Lucas's PK thunder is owerful enough to ensure that he reaches the platform anyway, at least, that's always been the case with me, and i play on that level quite often.

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
The problem with YI is that if you use your recovery next to the wall you will be screwed, the middle platform is not good for lucas neither.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Both:True, but for both, there is a way around it. If you can go straight up, do that, and even if you can't, just mke it so it pushes you only slightly away. I've done it before, quite easily. As for the middle, as i said before, you just have to make sure you don't stop where those middle blocks are. Remedy: Be a bit closer to the middle blocks when you do it. from memory, lucas's PK thunder can go upwards through the blocks, can't he? I know he can do it from at least 1 direction....

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Both:True, but for both, there is a way around it. If you can go straight up, do that, and even if you can't, just mke it so it pushes you only slightly away. I've done it before, quite easily. As for the middle, as i said before, you just have to make sure you don't stop where those middle blocks are. Remedy: Be a bit closer to the middle blocks when you do it. from memory, lucas's PK thunder can go upwards through the blocks, can't he? I know he can do it from at least 1 direction....

Ok, Thats another problem, If you do it straightly up you can be left free to any attack which is bad. My point is that aiming the ledge is difficult due to the stage randomness :(
I think you can handle with the platform in some matchups (Big target - using Lucas Down smash, for example) but the thing is that this stage is always worst for Lucas. The phantom platform screwing your pk thunder, the wall-screw thing, the shy guys messing up your pk fires and the slopes makes Lucas game a little more complicated. Haha my favorite part? Nobody likes this stage :p I have been playing on it more often. If you can recover right then you can do it ok in the stage, so I got your point :p

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Hey guys. Stopping by to say whats up.

Mekos its true that those type of stages screws ppl up but i believe Galeon is good on lylat for that same reason. But of course thats a different stage. YI is just stupid in general.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Its called thundersliding I think.
but basically you run off the ledge and PKT right before the leave the ledge and you slide forward while the PKT doesn't.

D

Deleted member

Interesting. How much control do you have over the direction it sends you, or does it always direct you back in the direction you came at a downward angle?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It's thundersliding. It's basically using the edge cancelling like with Mario's cape, if you've ever done that. Since you're using the running momentum, and you're floating through the air, you almost immediately hit yourself with you PK Thunder. You have a tiny amount of control based on how up or left you hit on your control stick and how far of a edge cancel you get.

D

Deleted member

I'm not having any luck pulling this off. Are you supposed to have the control stick pointed a certain way when you use PK Thunder, or....?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It has to do with the timing of when you run off the platform and when you initiate the PKT

D

Deleted member

I got it to work sometimes last night by doing it just before I left the edge. I'll try it with the jump as well, though. If that works...then could this be possible to do on the ground, and not just on platforms?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Are you sure that works, Nasty? I thought it had to do with the momentum of the edge cancel... does it still carry over with the jump?

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
@ rPSI... I'm positive it works (at least it seems that way for me, lol). When i do it, i don't really see the jump animation come out, so maybe i'm hitting the upB at the right time. Whatever the case, it helps with my timing. haha.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah, the jumping at the same time is probably a placebo effect type thing. But if it works for you :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I tried it on the ground with a short hop and it doesn't seem to work that way.

At least I got it working normally on platforms most of the time. :awesome:

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking about switching to Ness instead of Lucas... I can't even zap jump because I play with Wii - Remote. Should I? I know this is a weird question to ask in the Lucas boards...

Chuee

Smash Hero
If you want to it's up to you.
Though it isn't bad if you can't zap jump, I can't consistently zap jump myself :3

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
That's kind of hard with just wii remote. :p I've only been able to do it twice and no clue how I moved my hands so fast. O.o

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
omg yall! I beat ADHD in a set!

I don't care if it was wifi. His record is 82 wins and 8 losses now. The matches were so intense. It took me three tries but I learned so much from him.

Man brawl at the top level play is so different. It's like a game of chess! So much mind games involved! It's so much fun!!

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Why does Lucas airdodge whenever I try to tether the ledge without using my doublejump?

Top Bottom