• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There's nothing wrong with simply improving on an established formula. It's just a matter of how well it's done. Now, if you're waiting years for a sequel to come out, and all they do is improve on the established formula....I can see the complaint. At the same time, if the improvements are good enough, then the point is moot.

With that being said, I still think the first person combat in Skyrim is a bit ehhh. I haven't played much of it though, so I won't make a strong judgment on it. I'm just not into medieval games in that kinda setting.

I've played Dark Souls a lot. Not a GOTY winner for sure.

The main complaints I'm hearing about Skyward Sword is...

1. Graphics (for the Wii, not comparing to other consoles)
2. Some issues with fetch quests and wasting time going back and forth.
3. Slow start to the game.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I've heard controls complaints too, mostly on the swimming and bombs, sword combat seems like everyone is good with. and as happy as I am that the overworld is now denser and more of it's own area, some people are complaining about it being "marioized". personally I think I'll love it that way though, some people have approached the series as if the overworld shouldn't even exist, I've had people say to me "but zelda is just about the dungeons" and I think that's really stupid. I think at this point nintendo is going to be increasingly victimized by their own experimentation, because while they will do rehashes like TP, they've changed the series enough multiple times where nothing they do will make the whole fanbase happy now, everyone has a different idea of what a zelda game should be and the series itself has lost focus

I've also seen complaints about running being tied to the stamina guage and I can agree with that already, one of the little things I loved in MM was that you can get the bunnyhood pretty early and greatly improve your movement, I wouldn't like an arbitrary limit being put on that

Spire

III
BRoomer
Skyrim is a fantastic Elder Scrolls game and single-player RPG. But that's it. I am still tenfold more hyped for Skyward Sword because it looks to deliver a type of gaming experience Skyrim does not, a type I find myself to be far more interested in.

Aside from playing Skyrim for Skyrim's sake, I don't find much to do in the game all that interesting. Far more exciting is the TES construction set that has been available for all PC versions of Elder Scrolls games since Morrowind. With that, you can transform the game however you wish.

etecoon

Smash Hero
mods are definitely a big part of TES experience, I dunno why the game was so hyped for 360

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've heard controls complaints too, mostly on the swimming and bombs, sword combat seems like everyone is good with. and as happy as I am that the overworld is now denser and more of it's own area, some people are complaining about it being "marioized". personally I think I'll love it that way though, some people have approached the series as if the overworld shouldn't even exist, I've had people say to me "but zelda is just about the dungeons" and I think that's really stupid. I think at this point nintendo is going to be increasingly victimized by their own experimentation, because while they will do rehashes like TP, they've changed the series enough multiple times where nothing they do will make the whole fanbase happy now, everyone has a different idea of what a zelda game should be and the series itself has lost focus

I've also seen complaints about running being tied to the stamina guage and I can agree with that already, one of the little things I loved in MM was that you can get the bunnyhood pretty early and greatly improve your movement, I wouldn't like an arbitrary limit being put on that
Oh yeah, I have also heard about the controls complaint, but I just chalked it up to the user more than the wii mote + sensor bar.

I think what people are becoming disappointed about are that Nintendo hyped Skyward Sword up to be this immersive, massive, explore from the sky type of game in which every part you explore has some importance of depth to it. In reality, it's more like Wind Waker, but condensed and there are areas that will come off as useless (think those pointless islands you could stop by for no reason.)

People also seem disappointed in the story. Nintendo is slowly making Zelda more cinematic by the game (this one including the most yet), but the story seems to go no where in terms of depth and detail. Also, due to the cinematic feel, it seems like more people are wanting voice acting.

I have the game on me, so I'll probably be playing it bit by bit. Honestly though, due to school...I'm not gonna get a chance to truly play it by the time you guys get it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't know what the story is in full and I'm avoiding spoilers best I can, but I think having a real love story between link and zelda was probably a mistake because link isn't a strong lead character. I get on TP a lot for being rehashed but the one thing I do think it brought in that was really good was showing that link can be a silent protagonist and you can also expand the story by having another character serve as the main character(midna).

though ultimately I'm more of a minimalist at heart and zelda trying to get on MGS or FF status in the story department is kind of disappointing, as much as I do love those series' too. the best story doesn't need to have the most dialogue or the most movie scenes. particularly in games I think the interactive element is the best way to get the player immersed in the experience and care about the world and the people in it

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The main complaints I'm hearing about Skyward Sword is...

1. Graphics (for the Wii, not comparing to other consoles)
2. Some issues with fetch quests and wasting time going back and forth.
3. Slow start to the game.
I'll comment on some of this.

2. Fetch Quests really aren't that long. At least not yet. Maybe they get bad at the end of the game?
3. The slow start has become acceptable because, proportionally speaking compared to the rest of the game's length, it's really not that long. **** Skyward Sword is long lol. I beat Portal in less than the amount of time it took me to get from the start of the game to the end of the first dungeon.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I'll give my opinions on a few things too.

1. Graphics here are a hit or miss for some people, just like in WW and TP. I personally like it a lot. (BTW, There are some 1920x1080p pictures around the net of the game taken with dolphin, and they look stunning!)
2. Fetch quests, I only got to do one after the first dungeon. It was pretty entertaining, optional, and no hassle at all.
3.The slow start was ok for me, since I they were teaching me stuff as I was learning the mechanics.
4. No complains about the stamina gauge here. There are this plants that refill it all over the place, so by the time your stamina is almost depleted, you often run into another one. Besides, normal running is as fast as TP's running and doesn't use up the stamina.

Not spoilers, but jut in case.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll comment on some of this.

2. Fetch Quests really aren't that long. At least not yet. Maybe they get bad at the end of the game?
3. The slow start has become acceptable because, proportionally speaking compared to the rest of the game's length, it's really not that long. **** Skyward Sword is long lol. I beat Portal in less than the amount of time it took me to get from the start of the game to the end of the first dungeon.
In regards to the...

slow start, people are complaining it takes about 8 hours into the game before things get moving and the game lives up to its hype.

And while that is your opinion, I have seen a good number of people complain about fetch quests.

Also, some other minor complaints people have been talking about...

- early dungeons are short and formulaic
- the sky portion of the game does not have much content

I guess the sky part of the game goes back to how they simply turned the ocean of WW into a sky, and just condensed it. As I stated earlier.

Though I'll have my own opinions on the game after I finish it. I don't plan on playing New Game + though since it's
simply replaying the game, but taking more damage.

@LT Ah...well I figure that's how the Wii Mote + worked....nevertheless, some have complained about the issue.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Maybe ya'll should take some time and just look at the game.

The sky portions look stunningly beautiful. Just take some time to appreciate that when you fly through them and you're at your destination in no-time.
Never was I bored while sailing in Wind Waker, and I completed that game twice/thrice.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I got bored sailing in WW, because it just felt like I was sailing forever in an endless ocean x.x.

That's why I'm happy that they condensed it. I mean, they could have made the sky like WW where you fly for long minutes, not encountering much of anything until you get to your location.

The game does look beautiful, but I still don't understand why they Nintendo opted on not having Anti Aliasing. Too many jagged lines and pixels =/. Especially in the dungeons.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
WW sailing was made fully bearable for me because imo it had the single best overworld theme in the entire series.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Eh... One of my biggest gripes is the soundtrack that I've heard so far doesn't really have that "Zelda" feel.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. First time they go with a full orchestra. It has its hits, but a lot of forgettable ones as well.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
WW sailing was made fully bearable for me because imo it had the single best overworld theme in the entire series.
This x 1000. It was so heroic.

Has anyone heard the 25th Anniversary orchestral music? It's really good, and the Windwaker medley is outstanding.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
the music is one thing I'm not really saving myself from spoiling, and I have to say, whoever said the music is disappointing or whatever is completely off their rocker. i must own this soundtrack

etecoon

Smash Hero
they didn't say it was bad, just that it wasn't quite "zelda", which I kinda have to agree with in places. it's definitely a departure from classic zelda but WW and TP already started this transition, koji kondo has been doing less and less of each soundtrack(just one song in SS). kinda like how final fantasy and nobuo uematsu are inseparable, hitoshi sakimoto is a great composer too but it was just...different when he took over.

that being said I really like most of the soundtrack from what I've heard, very little that I would say is disappointing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, the soundtrack is not bad. It just doesn't live up to the "Zelda" standard. I mean, the guy who did most of the soundtrack I believe was responsible for the SMG soundtrack, and that was a solid if not great soundtrack.

It's their first time going full orchestra, so maybe that's it?

With that being said, a really great soundtrack you guys should check out is Xenoblade's.

@TRG, hey, wern't you the one excited about the
Zelda Romance Trailer?

Hate to break it to you, but there isn't really any romance in the game. False Nintendo hype.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm holding out on skyrim just because of DLC, wait for the cheaper GotY edition. I have a huge steam backlog already anyway, SS is probably the only game I'm going to buy at new release price any time soon

Spire

III
BRoomer
Been familiarizing myself with Skyrim on the 360. I'm surprised at how well it runs, honestly. It is bustling with Zelda resources, granted it's all much more realistic. I was able to transform Oblivion's resources into new experiences, so I bet I could make Hyrule using Skyrim's editor. I know I can. ahioasjdaoidjaodihajos[dija !

kupo15

Smash Hero
brosuke said:
The sky portions look stunningly beautiful. Just take some time to appreciate that when you fly through them and you're at your destination in no-time.
Never was I bored while sailing in Wind Waker, and I completed that game twice/thrice.
I was ok sailing through WW the first time, but going back it was terrible and made me realize how rushed the game actually was (but thats another discussion). So boring, long and a waste of time and the warp points weren't the greatest either not to mention changing the wind direction every 2 seconds breaks the game's flow. PH did improve WW's sailing flaws with the "draw your on path" mechanic.
I don't understand SS and Nintendo trying to keep this form of traveling around, what happened to making a normal overworld that is engaging and fun to explore like Lttp or OOT? MM less so than Lttp/OOT (ST being the worst one) but just running around on foot like this is simply better instead of feeling disconnected from the game with clear cut "travel" sections. These newer forms of travel should be "optional" and a more efficient means of travel through already throroughly explored places of the overworld just like how Epona served in OOT, not a minigame of sorts like WW/SS. Next thing you know Zelda will readopt The Four Swords formula (I hope not) or turn into Star Fox Adventures lol

And what ever happened to useful warp points? Lttp, OOT, MM had great warp points to minimize travel. TP less so, WW even worse, and ST tops it off as the worst warp system.

I swear, 99% of game mechanics and design in Nintendo's 1st gen versions of each game during major turning points (IE first 3D version, first 16bit version) were perfect that the only way to show the consumer that the game has "evolved and changed" is by making them worse. Prime examples are worse versions of items, less interactive worlds, lots of empty space, tedious tasks such as setting the wind direction then coming back in 5 mins, and now
stamina for holding onto vines, balancing on tightropes, and running stamina instead of Pegasus Boots
etc...

I'm still excited to play SS but this news is very disappointing to hear.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I like the MM overworld much more than OoT's, if anything I'd say it's closer to the 2D games in design while WW and TP's vast expanses of nothingness really started with OoT. still love OoT but I've always felt it gets too much credit, in many ways it was a step backwards from LTTP that the series never really corrected(possibly until SS, everything I've read almost makes it seem like a reboot of the 3D series)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Makes you wonder if the Wii U Zelda games will have a system similar to TP, OOT, MM, and WW where there is "space" to walk through and explore. The only difference will be there will be more detail to the barren lands, which might make it more easier to tread. Kinda like Fallout or ES.

Personally, I'd be more interested in more towns. From what I understand, SS kinda fails in that department.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I like the MM overworld much more than OoT's, if anything I'd say it's closer to the 2D games in design while WW and TP's vast expanses of nothingness really started with OoT. still love OoT but I've always felt it gets too much credit, in many ways it was a step backwards from LTTP that the series never really corrected(possibly until SS, everything I've read almost makes it seem like a reboot of the 3D series)
Well, I feel that MM's is better because of the great sidequests but I feel that OOT required more exploring?? OOT was a more cohesive world whereas MM was very sectionalized and direct. You can clearly see each phase of the game right next to each other in one little space. The areas they went to however were much more expansive I think. But would you really call places like the Swamp, Mountains, Ocean and Canyon parts of the overworld? I thought the overworld is something that connects these main sections together in which case it would be Termina Bay or Hyrule field? I think some clarification is needed for me.

But I agree that OOT is a step back from Lttps expansive, exploring overworld. Lttp almost feels like the whole game is nothing but overworld in comparison lol

Makes you wonder if the Wii U Zelda games will have a system similar to TP, OOT, MM, and WW where there is "space" to walk through and explore. The only difference will be there will be more detail to the barren lands, which might make it more easier to tread. Kinda like Fallout or ES.

Personally, I'd be more interested in more towns. From what I understand, SS kinda fails in that department.
Really? That is a real shame! The best part about WW was Windfall Island and one of the best for Lttp was Kakariko Village, MM ClockTown. I hope SS has at least one major town that delivers an engaging experience. More would be great too.

Its a tragedy to play a game such as Zelda where it is becoming lazy. I understand that pumping out Lttp after Lttp quality games is really tough but that is what a professional is. It feels as if Nintendo in the early versions of the game had something to prove, but now they feel like they can sit on their franchise's legacy and not work as hard. I hope SS is a true reboot of the franchise. 5 for days until I find out!!

etecoon

Smash Hero
I would call woodfall, great bay, snowhead, and ikana canyon parts of the overworld, just like lake hylia and death mountain are part of OoT's overworld.

skyloft is said to take a lot of influence from clock town but I think there aren't any other major towns in SS, maybe there are but I'm avoiding a lot of that, this is pretty much the only zelda related place I go to now until I play the game

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Really? That is a real shame! The best part about WW was Windfall Island and one of the best for Lttp was Kakariko Village, MM ClockTown. I hope SS has at least one major town that delivers an engaging experience. More would be great too.

Its a tragedy to play a game such as Zelda where it is becoming lazy. I understand that pumping out Lttp after Lttp quality games is really tough but that is what a professional is. It feels as if Nintendo in the early versions of the game had something to prove, but now they feel like they can sit on their franchise's legacy and not work as hard. I hope SS is a true reboot of the franchise. 5 for days until I find out!!
No, no. You misunderstood me. Of course Skyward Sword has its "one town" that is great with what it does. I was just making a general statement that it would be neat for future Zelda games to have multiple towns with a robust amount of characters. I mean, if there's one thing I know a lot of Zelda fans like myself find appealing about the game is the interesting NPCs you get to encounter.

With that being said, I'm fine if future Zelda installments strive away from a GTA or Assassin's Creed feel where there are 100s of people walking around that you really can't talk to. Instead just have towns with 20 or so people that you can all talk too.

kupo15

Smash Hero
^^totally agree. Luckily there hasn't been a single NPC that you can't talk to and find out more info on in any Zelda game. At least not to my knowledge.

And I was also agreeing that more than one town would be great lol

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I got one image for Gamespot's review of this game

The internet is going to go to town.

etecoon

Smash Hero
his address and phone number have already been leaked apparently

I've done a lot of trolling in my time but even I'm amazed at the venom that comes from the internet sometimes

Top Bottom