• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
As much as I love this show, it is definitely nothing compared to the original. Not too knowledgeable about it, so I don't know who made the story, who is working on this from the previous show, but it just seems very different. It is like someone took the high level bending power of the previous one, advanced less than 100 years later, and now it is pretty much the norm. We just see metal benders, lightning benders, we even see the one main fire bender redirect lightning at one episode. Then we get blood benders who can blood bend everyone in a room without the moon, they don't even try to explain that, they just go, "Oh! He is the son of the first guy to do it!" Yeah, that doesn't explain at all how anyone is able to do that, really hoping they touch back on it, but beginning to doubt it.

Also, the typical trait you see in shows or movies where named characters get a significant power boost by virtue of being a named character is something easily forgivable (though I personally find it annoying), The Legend of Korra employs it even more than the previous Airbender show, with little airbender kids taking on trained equalist warriors simply by air bending, when much older and trained benders crumble at their skill and excellence. Yes, it was suppose to be a "Whoa!" or "Hahaha!" moment, but it just dropped how much I took that moment seriously, I mean, I had to quickly flip the switch that was in serious mode and suddenly I'm like, "Yeah, anything can happen right now." Asami is a lesser case of this, I mean, I can accept she can fight, but she does so better than equalist trained warriors? Huh?

One final criticism is the love feud between the four characters. I enjoy it, I do, and it is very necessary to add that level of depth to the show that is otherwise pretty straight forward in comparison to the first show. But really I'm just kind of waiting for Korra to be with Bolin and Asami to be with Mako, because they really go out of their way to show how shallow and small the infatuation is with Mako on Korra's end and in contrast show how well and genuine Korra and Bolin are. That alone just makes it seem like, "Yeah, Korra and Mako just shouldn't happen, and in a matter of time it is going to be made official, so now I'm just waiting for it."

I'm not exactly knocking on the show, I record every new episode and watch it, love it, it just seems so different and definitely has its glaring flaws that keep getting thrown in my face when I'm really enjoying myself with the lovable characters, action, humor, and art.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
@Heel

trained equalist warriors? I'll admit they're pushing it with those kids, although they were trained by an airbending master and fought regular people who were trained chi blocking underground for a short period of time. On one hand some of them seem really powerful, on another some seem really weak and there's no way of differentiating the two during battle. There was the moment when they broke into the underground place and everyone seemed to get slaughtered in one hit but a single masked chi blocker ran in and put up a fight so I would argue that there should DEFINITELY be noticeable ranks here.

Besides that...just look back at the smash meta game at how what went for great back in '02 is like, what medicore players learn first. Besides, Toph, a young child created it, but it's so far fetched for grown men trained by the creator to know it? If anything I'm not sure the bending is big enough. All I've seen is small wisps of fire being thrown, nothing compared to what people were able to do in TLA.

I have my own issues, but the story still laughably stands over like 90% of **** I see coming out of Hollywood today and for all the issues Korra has, it's still hilarious that we're talking about the drama, romance and moral issues for something that airs before Spongebob.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The only case I'd agree on is that the growth of Team Avatar has been unusually fast unless it's been months since their first encounter with the Equalists. I remember how Korra and Mako got owned when they were looking for Bolin. Now they are taking out machines. I agree some chiblockers would be naturally better than others (except Mr. Mustache, he just gets owned), but as I said earlier...the growth has been surprising.

Aside from the romance progression, my only other concern the background to blood bending. I really do hope it gets explained. It would seem lackluster on their end to not do so.

Besides, TLA had its problems too. I'm not sure which romance was worse. Korra's fast developments with Mako, or Aang chasing after Katara for 4 seasons.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I think the thing with the kids is that it wasn't so much that they were stronger, the chi blockers were probably just surprised that kids were attacking them. Pretty sure they're used to striking teens/adults and not children. Probably just caught them off guard.

I think it's plausible that the team is getting better against them though. I think after one encounter with a chi blocker, their fighting style becomes less effective because the opponent now knows what to avoid and how to respond. In TLA after Suki's first encounter with Ty Lee and her gang and being defeated miserably, she was much, much more evenly matched with her when they fought again in The Boiling Rock. Katara adapted to fighting Ty Lee more efficiently as well after the first encounter too, iirc.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
As much as I love this show, it is definitely nothing compared to the original. Not too knowledgeable about it, so I don't know who made the story, who is working on this from the previous show, but it just seems very different. It is like someone took the high level bending power of the previous one, advanced less than 100 years later, and now it is pretty much the norm. We just see metal benders, lightning benders, we even see the one main fire bender redirect lightning at one episode. Then we get blood benders who can blood bend everyone in a room without the moon, they don't even try to explain that, they just go, "Oh! He is the son of the first guy to do it!" Yeah, that doesn't explain at all how anyone is able to do that, really hoping they touch back on it, but beginning to doubt it.

Also, the typical trait you see in shows or movies where named characters get a significant power boost by virtue of being a named character is something easily forgivable (though I personally find it annoying), The Legend of Korra employs it even more than the previous Airbender show, with little airbender kids taking on trained equalist warriors simply by air bending, when much older and trained benders crumble at their skill and excellence. Yes, it was suppose to be a "Whoa!" or "Hahaha!" moment, but it just dropped how much I took that moment seriously, I mean, I had to quickly flip the switch that was in serious mode and suddenly I'm like, "Yeah, anything can happen right now." Asami is a lesser case of this, I mean, I can accept she can fight, but she does so better than equalist trained warriors? Huh?

I'm not exactly knocking on the show, I record every new episode and watch it, love it, it just seems so different and definitely has its glaring flaws that keep getting thrown in my face when I'm really enjoying myself with the lovable characters, action, humor, and art.
Same creators made the story (Mike and Bryan), a veteran director from a number of TLA's episodes has directed every ep so far (Jaoqim Dos Santos).

It makes sense for bending to improve drastically because of the time gap, and the improvements made after the end of a 100 year war. Progress is no longer crippled, and the era of peace and rebuilding would undoubtedly lead to many breakthroughs especially since the main characters and others collaborated to make the world better. Plus, an avatar alone would make the world better, and since Aang was gone for quite some time, there'd be massive catching up needed.

About the airbenders, it'd be a bigger shock if the equalists stood a better chance. Aang outmatched (random) opponents when he was 12 and had great skill; his son proved that he's not to be ****ed with either. Wouldn't that skill pass onto Tenzin's kids aka Aang's grandchildren? Tenzin's been teaching his kids since they were atleast Meelo's age. In the 2nd ep we saw one of them get through that air nomad contraption without being touched. Also, there's only 4 airbenders excluding Aang, Korra and the newborn; compared to the millions of water/earth/fire benders, its very understandable that the Equalists aren't as prepared to face them. Plus, in TLA we almost always saw kids beating up adults. Airbenders also are nimble, and focus on being hard to hit.

Oh, and Asami's father paid for her training, presumably after the death of her mom. Since Sato's an Equalist supporter and has ties, its easy to assume that Asami's lessons could tie in with methods the Equalists had to learn.

We never got an explanation for Combustion Man's bending or Azula's blue fire either.

Just my input. :)

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm really hoping it's not the case that Amon just chi-blocks people in some way that people believe is permanent. That would be horribly underwhelming for me. Part of the excitement of Amon is that, without actually killing anyone, he provides a certain finality to actions. I was never worried for the safety of characters in TLA because, with the exception of a few Azula moments, and Jet dying for no reason, I knew everyone would be safe. But with Amon, this safety is gone; I worry about characters losing their bending, which is honestly the next best thing to dying (with regards to maintaining a mature and intense experience).

If, down the line, we discover that this isn't actually permanent, and Amon is just a lame con artist, I'm going to be disappointed. The dynamic we get from Amon actually being able to energy bend, for his issues regarding inequality to manifest in the form of a power which literally equalizes, a power which, up to now, had only been used by the Avatar, the very personification of bending, is incredible. And it would feel cheapened for this to just be some sort of high-level chi-blocking.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
No, i agree that would terrible and I can't think of any reason there would be for the writers to do that. I mean they could do it to take away bending from important characters and bring it back when needed but that sort of thing would ruin the show and I think they know that.
batman's dead? Only for this week.

My guess is he is energy bending, he can't bend an actual element but when benders fight him, he can bend their energy. This would explain why he stood up to blood bending and I don't think it'll be long(literally I think they'll show it next ep) that Korra will try to hit him with a stream of water and it will just fall when it reaches him.

At the same time air benders wouldn't be effected by this since they don't hold or create their element, just push it. I only ay this because I'm REALLY hoping Korra's inability to learn air bending or be in touch with her spiritual side comes heavily into play. they put so much emphasis that it NEEDS to be important.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm more inclined to believe Amon is also a waterbender, and thus able to combat bloodbending, than to believe he has some unheard of power. But we'll have to wait and see. I just don't like asspulls. Aang taking away Ozai's bending was bad enough.

Also, does anyone want to speculate as to who Lin's father is? I was thinking Sokka for a while, for a few reasons, but then I realized that would make Lin and Tenzin cousins, which sounds too taboo for an American kids show. But I feel like they must have gone out of their way to specifically not tell us who her father is. Something tells me it's either an important detail, or they're just going to throw a surprise later as a form of fanservice.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I was wondering if instead of taking their bending away he's actually absorbing it, making him more resistant to it such as the blood bending.

I've also read theories of him working with a spirit/a spirit sharing his body to give him these abilities. I think he mentioned something about communicating with "the spirits" in one of the early episodes to give him a solution to taking out benders or something.... It was some speech he was giving a crowd, I can't remember what episode though. xD

Kal

Smash Champion
It was the third episode.

"That is why the spirits have chosen me to usher in a new era of balance. They have granted me a power to make equality a reality. The power to take a person's bending away. Permanently."

He's vague about it, so he could be lying about the spirits being involved, but I think it's a possibility. If it is a spirit, it's going to be one of the jerkass ones like Koh.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
First off, thanks for the feedback everyone. :D Now let's dig through this~

Same creators made the story (Mike and Bryan), a veteran director from a number of TLA's episodes has directed every ep so far (Jaoqim Dos Santos).
Ah! Thank you, I am surprised, really.

It makes sense for bending to improve drastically because of the time gap, and the improvements made after the end of a 100 year war. Progress is no longer crippled, and the era of peace and rebuilding would undoubtedly lead to many breakthroughs especially since the main characters and others collaborated to make the world better. Plus, an avatar alone would make the world better, and since Aang was gone for quite some time, there'd be massive catching up needed.
Yeah, this is what I told myself, but not all that much time passed, and only a handful of people knew how to do it, and it is extremely dangerous (in terms of the lightning bending and redirecting it), basically an entire human lifespan passed by. I'm just not sure that it would have not only been propagated, but be done so casually in that time span.

Of course, as I watch it, I'm going to try and continue to think as you say, for I'm sure that is the reasoning behind what the creator's have done. Just personally feel a bit dubious on the subject.

About the airbenders, it'd be a bigger shock if the equalists stood a better chance. Aang outmatched (random) opponents when he was 12 and had great skill; his son proved that he's not to be ****ed with either. Wouldn't that skill pass onto Tenzin's kids aka Aang's grandchildren? Tenzin's been teaching his kids since they were atleast Meelo's age. In the 2nd ep we saw one of them get through that air nomad contraption without being touched. Also, there's only 4 airbenders excluding Aang, Korra and the newborn; compared to the millions of water/earth/fire benders, its very understandable that the Equalists aren't as prepared to face them. Plus, in TLA we almost always saw kids beating up adults. Airbenders also are nimble, and focus on being hard to hit.
More interesting points, though there are things you could bring against them. As an example, yeah, those are the descendants of the avatar, but they aren't avatars. Aang showed how much more proficient he was in airbending than everyone else as a child, and it was because he was the avatar. True, his descendants would likely be skilled, but those kids seemed especially young and didn't have any experience in serious combat.

As for the fact that there aren't many airbenders, I do realize they aren't as well known to the Equalists, but their training isn't only targeting the specific bending types, they are also well trained adults. Seeing Tenzin wipe up the floor with them is certainly believable to me, but the children... eh, saying the equalist fighters don't know how to fight airbending so much that when a children does it they are puddy in their hands, but skilled earth/metal, water, and fire benders are easy peazy.

Just another thing I have to stretch in order for me to accept something in the story.

Oh, and Asami's father paid for her training, presumably after the death of her mom. Since Sato's an Equalist supporter and has ties, its easy to assume that Asami's lessons could tie in with methods the Equalists had to learn.
Yes, but older, stronger, and a higher quantity of Equalists should have no issue tearing her down.

Though I must refer to when I said that kind of thing shouldn't surprise me, just something that irks me nonetheless. A third thing I have to tell my mind to be okay with what I'm watching.

We never got an explanation for Combustion Man's bending or Azula's blue fire either.
With the former I thought we were told he was surgically made to be that way as an experiment? The latter I have to agree, though I remember at the time just thinking she was very strong and angry so her flames were hotter, which is a smallish stretch.

I think the thing with the kids is that it wasn't so much that they were stronger, the chi blockers were probably just surprised that kids were attacking them. Pretty sure they're used to striking teens/adults and not children. Probably just caught them off guard.
I'd believe that trained cold fighters would feel that way initially at the very most, but when they realized that and started trying to take them down, that excuse loses weight fast. It would have been more believable if they all three came out and took them out in one surprise attack, not surprise some, then seriously beat the rest up.

@NinjaFoxX

To add onto what I've already said about that point, it is funny that a lot of the things the kids did you could replace with any other element and it would have been the same, like flinging fire or water, especially when the youngest son started just shooting darts of air. The air didn't really make the difference I think in a lot of it. The bad guys just turned into zombies that walked into the attacks, like someone messed with the CPU level putting it from 9 to 1 as soon as the kids showed up.

Besides, TLA had its problems too. I'm not sure which romance was worse. Korra's fast developments with Mako, or Aang chasing after Katara for 4 seasons.
Hmm.. well at least with TLA, the characters didn't have too many love feuds and characters weren't confused as to who should be with who, not only did the viewers know what should happen, but the show didn't really make the characters confused. I think there were some episodes in TLA that through some trouble in the love waters, but nothing really so central as what is in The Legend of Korra.

Kal

Smash Champion
Neither Combustion Man's ability nor the blue fire are explained in universe, but I'm pretty sure Combustion Man was just able to fire bend through his third eye tattoo. Because the fire bending was so compressed, it came out as explosions. Or something. Fire benders are probably able to control the intensity of their flames. Given that Azula is a prodigy, it makes sense that she would have more intense bending than most fire benders.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Combustion_Man
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Firebending#Special_techniques

Keep in mind that TLA had a ton of filler to make sure the romantic subplots were developed properly. LOK got only one episode that was really devoted to it. I don't find the romantic subplots too annoying in LOK, anyway. My biggest gripe is basically "**** Mako, Bolin is better."

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Neither Combustion Man's ability nor the blue fire are explained in universe, but I'm pretty sure Combustion Man was just able to fire bend through his third eye tattoo. Because the fire bending was so compressed, it came out as explosions. Or something.
You think Combustion Man could've been the dude adult Sokka was talking about in the Yakone flashback? The Firebender that could bend with his brain?

It'd make sense.

Smooth Criminal

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, he was referring to Combustion Man. Remember him hitting Combustion man in the eye with his boomerang?

Also, I don't get the complaint about Tarlok. Sokka gave an explanation, more or less, for why Yakone could do it: he was a gifted ****. Apparently, it's genetic, and his son got it too. We are talking about a universe where the Avatar can bone a water bender and have a kid without any bending abilities. When you look too deeply into any of it, it won't make sense, because the reality (and therefore the logic) you have to compare it to doesn't really match. Some things just need to be left alone, and I think, if you are willing to accept Azula's blue fire, Combustion Man's third eye explosions, and the deus ex machina asspull that is Aang taking away Ozai's bending, even after every other Avatar told him to kill Ozai, even an air bender, then I think you should be willing to ignore that they didn't fully explain the whole bloodbending ordeal.

Besides, if they had explained it in depth, it probably would have sucked. "Yakone is just, totally super duper good at bloodbending because of the Midi-chlorians asspull that makes him strong."

While I agree that the kids being able to beat those chi blockers was kind of dumb, it was just rule of funny. If the writers wanted it to be believable, rather than to showcase Meelo being ****ing awesome, they'd have had all three of them simultaneously attack the equalists. Again, just rule of funny, which I don't think is a deal breaker given how those those equalists are just mooks.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, I guess a mind trick like that where someone thought they lost their bending would be kind of interesting, but not really final, or dangerous, and would thus lose the sparkle.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I disagree with not having an explanation for Yakone's blood bending to be okay. Alright, it's one thing Combustion Man could bend the way he did. However, he wasn't some super important character that provided story or background to the overall arching plot. Yakone and in turn Tarlok have played a central role this season alone, and in the past and present. For both to be such dangerous individuals, it's hard to believe they could blood bend on any given day.

Though I suppose it also makes sense. Like the falling comet that amplifies a fire bender's powers, the full moon has its effects on water benders as well, most likely amplifying them. Yakone and Tarlok could be benders, which would probably super omg wtf beast out if there was a full moon.

Whatever Amon is...I'm just tired of him. I want his *** kicked or at least see him exposed for being the bender he is. I want to see how his followers take to him, when they find out he's been a hypocrite this whole time.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I get the feeling that his face isn't actually damaged, he is just hiding who he is. The way he said that in one of the earlier episodes made me think he is lying.

People probably have said that already, a bit late jumping on this bandwagon am I? :laugh:

Also, the theory that Amon is absorbing the bending is excellent and perhaps logical. If you can take away bending, why couldn't you take it? Really interested either way how he was given the ability (I also agree that if it isn't something big, it will be a bit disappointing, almost all of Amon's allure is from his ability to do that).

Does anyone know that when the finale comes, The Legend of Korra is over? O: Still foggy on the details of this show, sorry haha.

Kal

Smash Champion
Theboredone, since we're discussing the character's ability, and not the character himself, how relevant he is to the plot, as opposed to how relevant his ability is to the plot, is not really the point. Tarlok's ability to blood bend was relevant in only two episodes, and it was about as necessary as Combustion Man's ability to blow **** up. Tarlok could have just been a fantastic water bender, beaten Korra legitimately, then lost his **** to Amon, the same way Combustion Man could have just been a regular fire bender, tried roughing up the Gaang in the traditional fire bender way, and gotten ****ed up by Sokka's boomerang. So I think claiming that it's ok for Combustion Man to have an asspull ability, but not for Tarlok, is a little peculiar.

Obviously, this is a matter of opinion, and your mileage may vary, but it just seems silly to me to make a big thing out of the blood bending. So what if a character in the show has a hereditary ability to bloodbend even without a full moon? The explanation seems sufficient to me. What don't you find sufficient about it?

Also, I'm not the least bit tired of Amon. What a magnificent *******.

Heel, I think they have plans for one more season after this one, with the possibility for more. Personally, I don't think the "absorbing bending" idea makes much sense. Why is Amon is so agile and shown dodging bending abilities if he can just absorb them? I'm thinking that he's either a water bender, and thus able to combat blood bending, or he has some **** going on with the spirits, which is how he acquired energy bending.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Theboredone, since we're discussing the character's ability, and not the character himself, how relevant he is to the plot, as opposed to how relevant his ability is to the plot, is not really the point. Tarlok's ability to blood bend was relevant in only two episodes, and it was about as necessary as Combustion Man's ability to blow **** up. Tarlok could have just been a fantastic water bender, beaten Korra legitimately, then lost his **** to Amon, the same way Combustion Man could have just been a regular fire bender, tried roughing up the Gaang in the traditional fire bender way, and gotten ****ed up by Sokka's boomerang. So I think claiming that it's ok for Combustion Man to have an asspull ability, but not for Tarlok, is a little peculiar.
Tarlok and Yakone's blood bending and background have been involved in more than just two episodes. Think about it, Tarlok's entire ambition has been surrounding season 1. Why? Because his father shamed his family, but he shamed his family by being a mob gangster that killed anyone who crossed his path via blood bending. There has been discussions for as long as Korra has been having those visions that there maybe some relations between Tarlok and Yakone. So just their "presence" goes way back. The fact their presence is due to the ability to blood bend freely I think should be looked into at least.

And if you have not watched the trailer to the season finale,
then there's a strong hint that Mako and Korra are being blood bended by someone (most likely Amon.) So there maybe a point where three people can now blood bend on any given day.

Obviously, this is a matter of opinion, and your mileage may vary, but it just seems silly to me to make a big thing out of the blood bending. So what if a character in the show has a hereditary ability to bloodbend even without a full moon? The explanation seems sufficient to me. What don't you find sufficient about it?
If there's one thing the show fails at, it's that they don't bother explaining most of the unexpected or rare events that come across in the show.

Also, I'm not the least bit tired of Amon. What a magnificent *******.
I'm not tired of him in regards to his character. I think he's great. I'm tired in the fact he has yet to get his *** kicked. He's a walking hypocrite/terrorist that needs a good *** whoopin. I don't think any sort of sympathy story could make me at least feel bad for him.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Heel, I think they have plans for one more season after this one, with the possibility for more.
Thanks again people. :D

Personally, I don't think the "absorbing bending" idea makes much sense. Why is Amon is so agile and shown dodging bending abilities if he can just absorb them? I'm thinking that he's either a water bender, and thus able to combat blood bending, or he has some **** going on with the spirits, which is how he acquired energy bending.
Not absorb them as in can just take external elements and suck them up, absorb them as in when he is energybending, he takes the energy for himself.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
They do such an amazing job with expressions in this show... like, seriously, probably the best I've ever seen.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Amon is secretly Katara.

Think about it...
Ha! I love this. Hence why she can beat bloodbending, doesn't want to harm Korra, is good at dodging stuff, and knows about taking away bending (close to Aang).

Personally though I'm going with the Amon has prosthetic legs though. That'd explain why he could walk through the bloodbender with only some resistance.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It was the third episode.

"That is why the spirits have chosen me to usher in a new era of balance. They have granted me a power to make equality a reality. The power to take a person's bending away. Permanently."

He's vague about it, so he could be lying about the spirits being involved, but I think it's a possibility. If it is a spirit, it's going to be one of the jerkass ones like Koh.
Thing is, in TLA the lion turtle talked about the spirits of old who created bending. He said something along the lines of, "before we bent the elements, we bent the energy that surrounds us." And from that he showed Aang how to take away bending. So that's my theory on both Amon's possible energy bending as well as an explanation to how he learned it.

It is just theory though. Besides that, I don't think he's a spirit. When Tarlock tried blood bending he did get stopped for a moment and his walking became choppy as he approached him, as well the sounds of sloshing were made while they showed a close up of his foot struggling before he continued walking. So he's definitely a human...I guess that doesn't answer if it were a man being possessed but they would have had more proof of something like that if it were true. To throw that on us randomly would seem awkward.

I'm not tired of him in regards to his character. I think he's great. I'm tired in the fact he has yet to get his *** kicked. He's a walking hypocrite/terrorist that needs a good *** whoopin. I don't think any sort of sympathy story could make me at least feel bad for him.
I completely disagree, he may or may not be a hypocrite. However, who's to call him a terrorist? Of course next ep, judging by the trailer, he will be one but I love him because he's not a bad guy. He's like V from V for Vendetta or Lelouch, an anti-hero bringing revolution. Benders have done the world great evil before, he is taking away bending not killing anybody. He's even advanced technology for his cause. Not saying I agree with him, I feel he's still the enemy but I love him and do sympathize with him even knowing he's probably lying about a lot of stuff. He's jkust in this gray area and maybe it's a personal thing because I do love my gray characters but I believe Tarlok and Ozai were insensitive *******s only working for personal gain while Amon is a little harder to place.

Korra is working for the greater good of all but that's not to say a world without bending is necessarily an evil goal. There's a reason they're the equalists, starting a revolution for a group that has been considered lower class.

Kal

Smash Champion
Agreed, Amon, unlike Ozai, is a character you can potentially sympathize with and definitely admire. He's not just a one-dimensional evildoer (let's spread the peace and prosperity of the Fire Nation to the whole world - by going to war with everything!). He's fighting for equality.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I dunno. I already labeled him a terrorist when he decided to blow up the Pro-Bending arena. Compare him to V for Vendetta all you want, but at least V didn't bother harming any innocent lives in the process to my knowledge. Amon essentially has that "You're with us or against me" philosophy, which essentially screams extremism.

I jokinhly said a while back that it would be so much easier if Amon tried to join the council as a non-bender representative, but that would make for a lame show. Given what he's done, and what I've seen in the trailer...I just can't sympathize for someone that extreme.

He's not gray, he's just a punk with a power trip. Using the word "equality" to make him come off as a good guy.

Top Bottom