• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Guide to Comboes/Techniques Named After People

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
• Does Chu Dat have anything named after him?
He was probably one of the first to use ICs' SH auto-cancelled bair -> d-smash shield pressure.

Also, the patented grab -> headbutt -> blizzard -> d-throw -> dair -> regrab -> headbutt -> blizzard -> d-throw -> [any smash attack]. He popularized its gimmicky use on floaties especially.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
chillindash is the run at the edge and shine so that you slide way off i believe

an accident for most people, tink still does it and calls it that

chillin, correct me if i'm wrong

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
He was probably one of the first to use ICs' SH auto-cancelled bair -> d-smash shield pressure.
he used it like once

chu would probably be d-throw d-air, or d-throw -> f-smash -> wd f-smash (with nana) on heavy characters--but nothing is really named after him

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i call it the mango, but it's basically when u aerial someone, fade away, they whiff shield grab, and u fsmash. most commonly seen in the early vids of mango's falco when everyone fell for it.

SpeedGhost

Smash Cadet
I've bin calling forward throw -> KNEE with Falcon 'SHOWTIME' for the last year. Get's in people's heads when you say it as you're about to throw them. I know these are supposed to be named after specific players... So as of right now, I call it the 'SS SHOWTIME'.

SHOWTIME

Ohhh.. I'm also pretty sure that airdodging off the stage to death while trying to wavedash edgehog is called 'Azen Dashing'.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
If you try to name it after a specific person on purpose, it takes away from the original fun that comes with comboes with names. It should happen naturally.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Stomp knee is way too generic to be named after anyone.

Less commonly you non Young Link players should know the "Lai Fire Attack" is not something he discovered (I showed it to him a year before the name came about, and he said it was "not practical") but it's something YL players SHOULD do pretty regularly, so like a stomp-knee there isn't much signature about it.

Please remove that nonsense from the list.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Where is stomp -> knee? I wouldn't consciously put that as a combo.
Also, I did say vaguely say that local terms are okay, and the fact that Laijin's technique is specific, I'm going to let him have it.

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
The Cookiemonster: Ledge/Wall teching into an aerial as a counter attack against edge guarders especially with Captian. ( Yes I'm self proclaiming this because I both do this very often and never see others do it both in gamplay or on vids)

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
All the below can be consistently performed:

• Mango Rest (jab reset rest) [I think you have this one]
The DaShizWiz I've always seen as ending a combo by KO'ing them with Falco's up-B Nvm that's the Bombsoldier

My main additions:
• Wobbling (ice climber infinite grab hits after Wobbles)
• Planking (edge stalling, named after Plank fka Plarinkk)
• King Rest (jiggs reverse nair to rest)
The RockCrock (jump walltech forward air)
• Zhuicide (side-b suicide as falco or fox)
Phannacies (lots of unecessary edge cancels)
• And more specifically, The Phanna Rest (edge-cancelled aerial into rest as Jigglypuff)
• JV# stocking (not a "move" per se, but certainly a smash event named after JV3x3 - where you end a match with 0% on X stocks so you are said to JV (X+1) stock that person)
• The SilentSpectre (moonwalk backair edgeguard)
Isai Dropping (dropping through a platform faster by starting to move forward before dropping to reduce landing lag)
• HungryBox (wall of pain; bair spam)
• KeepSpeedN (fox shine + back-air in the air). Does Falco's Shine-Backair have a person's name?
The Mew2King (Pausing deliberately during the match)
• Echo Slide (missing your dash-dance and doing the longer turnaround after the Samus player Echo)
• Germ-grabbing (grabbing someone behind you as with Link)
Tree-grabbing (self-proclaimed move by FastLikeTree)
Hylian Lowrider (from the edge as Samus, jumping and firing a missile but still regrabbing the edge)
• The ColBol (moonwalking with fox)

Moves I know but forget the name reference:
• I've heard a fox edge-guard where you wavedash back, fast fall, jump back with a back-air as an edge-guard named after some fox player but I forget who...
• When a person runs off the stage then midairs back with a backair toward the stage, I originally heard this as the Lumbro (retired FL fox), then the Hostess (name of a crew) Probably different names regionally
• not sure if it's named after any players or if it should be, but raging after a match (eg throwing controller). Similar vein are excessive campers
Drill-resting as jigglypuff (I first saw / heard N2K7 popularizing this)
• running toward and beyond your shielding opponent, then forward-smashing back at them
• Does Chu Dat have anything named after him?

Items that probably don't fit as well but I still feel compelled to mention as I brainstorm:
• The PoundSlap (serious posting)
The Windmill of Fury was inspired by Wes I believe
The Rohins (Luigi misfire SD after a jab)
• Nairplane taking off (spamming nairs especially as fox or the links), or HarrietTheGuy's Nair-Per-Minute challenge
• Horenado (Peach down-smash, also called the Mercedes combo [zero to sixty in 3 seconds])
• The Ka-Master (anything good with Luigi)
• The Gimpyfish (anything good with Bowser)
• The Taj (anything good with Mewtwo)
• Nipple spiking (CF true spike)
Wombo Combo
• Johns

Your The Bombsoldier Combo "performed on" has consistently spelled wrong btw.

*Lmao at the Mew2King "combo"!!! LOL

Top Bottom