• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'd like to add:
Fair is often too slow to true combo at lower %'s where Uair is fast enough.
However, at mid %'s Uair is often too slow instead, but Fair works perfectly fine, thanks to its range.

Also, throwing light characters allows Ganon to move sooner than when throwing heavy characters.

And like Kalm said, you need to do it all quick and properly for it to work;
Dthrow > Buffered Dash Canceled Fullhop Rising Fair.

It feels great that a character like Ganon (who otherwise stuggles with strings and combos) has this combo.
It can kill super-early near the ledges if the Fair is fresh.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I've seen so many conflicting things about the Ganon vs Mewtwo MU.

Some say at the Mewtwo MU thread that its in Mewtwo's favor because Mewtwo can gimp Ganon hella early and that Mewtwo has more tools to be safe against Ganon. While others have said what's been said so far in this thread....

I dunno tbh, I might just have to go up against a decent Mewtwo for the MU experience :p

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Ladies and gentlemen, after losing my wii U due to a rough breakup...I am returning! :D 'tis good to be back with my brethren.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
This is the greatest thing ever
I'd make this my sig if I didn't like my current one better.
Ladies and gentlemen, after losing my wii U due to a rough breakup...I am returning! :D 'tis good to be back with my brethren.
And yet another King of Evil returns to spread darkness among the smash meta.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Quite a disappointing story I recommend you guys to read;

Gaming communities across the Internet are mourning the death of prominent transgender game developer Rachel Bryk, who committed suicide on April 23, after suffering from a lifetime of health problems and months of anonymous cyberbullying.

Bryk, 23, was plagued by chronic pain, as well as low self-esteem, long before she joined any online communities, but it was an anonymous harasser who urged her to jump off a bridge—just days before she took her own life by jumping from the George Washington Bridge in New York City.

Over the past two years, Bryk had become one of the most prominent game developers on a software project called Dolphin. She was well-known for her work on Gamecube and Wii emulators—her favorite being Pucca’s Kisses. Despite her beloved status in online gaming communities, Bryk commented on a popular 4chan forum that she was withdrawing from various sites because she suffered constant, trans-phobic harassment. After her death, word quickly spread throughout these communities, and forums were flooded with memorial posts in her honor.

Gamers across the world were deeply saddened by the news, and many have used this tragedy to discuss the dangers of transphobia in online communities. One former colleague from Dolphin commented: “No matter what, she was always willing to help anyone. Of all the devs she was the most helpful on the forums, always pitching in. Dolphin is a smaller place without her.”
Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=182_1430167250&comments=1#comments#vGptde8sK26CFjqp.99

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Tis a dark world we live in. Some people have not a care in the world to spare consideration of medical problems others may have. All because of sexual orientation. Quite pathetic. Chronic pain might have been the final push but trash suggesting for one to end their life is pitiful and in the end saddening.

And yet I can't help but feel nothing when the world is naught but filled with negativity every day.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I just want to say that my figurative PM/Melee hard-on has died down somewhat, and I've decided to try to get into Smash 4 in earnest. As I type this, I'm uploading to Youtube a few replays I recorded from Anther's ladder--one of which I commentated. Right now I only have 3DS, but if I gain traction and start to enjoy the game as much as I enjoyed Brawl, I'll put up some $$ for a WiiU.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Did Ganon's U-smash in Brawl have a goofy disjoint too? You can literally safely kick bomb-ombs with ease with U-smash in this game because it's so disjointed.

Other than that, from what I can tell, B-air has a significant disjoint (safe from bomb), D-tilt, F-tilt, D-smash, and F-smash all have minor disjoints (not safe from bomb). I'm not positive, but I couldn't really figure out if Ganon's F-air was disjointed.

ToonWaker

Smash Cadet
NNID
5una23
3DS FC
3737-9687-2294
Greetings comrades many moons it has been since my last appearance but I have now returned and where might one post a video of a Ganon murder in which I have one if anyone is interested?

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
semi relevant, if i have video evidence of super battlefield jank that i encountered while stomping peach during practice, i wouldn't necessarily post that in the video thread (since that's for actual matches), would I?

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
@ Casval Casval

Probably Ganon's Book of Sinister Secrets is your best bet there. I guess The WIse Ganon may also be appropriate but the nature of your find seems to fit the first one a little better.

You wouldn't happen to be referring to auto canceling Dair using SH>DJ>Dair onto a platform, would you? There was a little bit of discussion about this tech earlier this year but more evidence would be nice. If you found something else, even better!

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
No, what I found wasn't an applicable technique of any sort, more just like something that makes you wonder what in the heck is wrong with the physics in this game.

Also wondering if anyone else had found anything similar.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
heyyyy so i'm going to my first smash 4 tournament in months next week and i'd like to do well. i know nothing about customs and i'm not up to date with any sort of ganondorf stuff at all. any new discoveries? tech, matchup pointers, etc that i should know about? what have i missed? someone update me plz.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
heyyyy so i'm going to my first smash 4 tournament in months next week and i'd like to do well. i know nothing about customs and i'm not up to date with any sort of ganondorf stuff at all. any new discoveries? tech, matchup pointers, etc that i should know about? what have i missed? someone update me plz.
Dark fists is your best friend, it's better than dark dive in almost every way.
Also check out wizard dropkick, it's a good substitute to default kick in a lot of matchups because it helps recovery & approaching a lot.

Эикельманн [РУС]

oh also apparently there's some way to lag cancel aerials now? can someone explain how to do that? or if it's useful at all?

actually, i'm finally watching videos of this gungnir guy and is see that not only is he doing this lag cancel thing, but it's pretty good. he also does some bair onto the stage from the ledge thing but i'm not really sure what that is. someone explain plz

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Yeah Dark Fists and Wizard's Dropkick you should have unless you really Wizard's Foot for the spike properties.

You can go with any neutral B you want but I go for Warlock Blade because it is faster and has more range to it and makes people fearful if they shield it.

You can SH Bair and Uair and go right into anything you want. I usually go Flame choke since opponents want to rush in. And then they get grabbed.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG @ Vermanubis Vermanubis @ Z1GMA Z1GMA gimme some knowledge if possible, thanks
Ganon's best custom move is Dark Fists, the 2nd Up-B which has super armor on frame 5 and is two hits instead of a grab. Wizard's Drop Kick, the 2nd Down-B is also decent in some matchups for hopping above projectiles to punish them and for boosting Ganon's recovery (it's a shame you can't B reverse it though).

In tournament, you probably have to be concerned about custom Villager as Ganon does not have a very easy time dealing with Timber Counter, where the sapling is like an immobile Banana with infinite durability.

Frame canceling aerials where you hit an aerial as absolutely close to the ground as possible for some reason causes you to go into landing lag while your enemy is in hitlag. Very situational outside of techchasing/reading airdodge. Most obvious on D-air which has a lot of hitlag. Other than that there really isn't any new way to lag cancel aerials outside of the autocancels that we already are familiar with.

Also ledgehop B-air does autocancel. Requires you to use the C-stick to consistently input it.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Kong cyclone is another move to watch out for. First of all, I'd look up the video "wind kong and you" as it gives a lot of good advice.

Also, since DK needs to auto cancel it, you can almost always know where he's going and apply pressure accordingly. For instance, if DK uses it from a grounded level on smashville, you know for certain that he's going to go for the platform.

Even on battlefield and Lylat, you can still see where he's headed pretty easily. Do not go for a hard punish. Ganon's not fast enough to do so and he doesn't even need to be. Since he puts himself on a platform, you can just pressure him with U-smash and U-air and punish his landing option. If you're worried about really powerful customs, I'd ask @Amazing Ampharos, he knows a lot about this kind of thing.

As for Ganon's customs, you should always use Dark Fists. (Shameless self plug) it's so good, I wrote an entire guide dedicated solely to the move, "the art of the (dark) fist".

Wizard's dropkick is actually very matchup specific. You primarily want it in match ups where recovery is a priority, such as Rosalina, Sheik, Villager, ZSS, and Pikachu. Wizkick is generally the better option since Dark Fists is usually all you need to get through edgeguarding.

Don't use Flame Wave. It's not useless, but it's not worth losing Flame Choke.

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Ganon's best custom move is Dark Fists, the 2nd Up-B which has super armor on frame 5 and is two hits instead of a grab. Wizard's Drop Kick, the 2nd Down-B is also decent in some matchups for hopping above projectiles to punish them and for boosting Ganon's recovery (it's a shame you can't B reverse it though).

In tournament, you probably have to be concerned about custom Villager as Ganon does not have a very easy time dealing with Timber Counter, where the sapling is like an immobile Banana with infinite durability.

Frame canceling aerials where you hit an aerial as absolutely close to the ground as possible for some reason causes you to go into landing lag while your enemy is in hitlag. Very situational outside of techchasing/reading airdodge. Most obvious on D-air which has a lot of hitlag. Other than that there really isn't any new way to lag cancel aerials outside of the autocancels that we already are familiar with.

Also ledgehop B-air does autocancel. Requires you to use the C-stick to consistently input it.
thanks for using the number of the custom move as well lol, idk what any of these names mean.

really appreciate this reply.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Looks like Blob and A2've got it covered, man. Not much else to add. I agree with the sentiment about dropkick being very MU specific -- lotsa folks seem to like to use it in all MUs, but imo, it's inappropriate for 80%+ of Ganon's MUs.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
is multi-hit side b any good?
If you're feeling adventurous against Rosalina, it's pretty good there. The general rule as I see it for the multi-hit choke is against characters out of which you don't get much mileage from regular choke, i.e. characters with no follow-ups, e.g. Falcon, Zelda, Ike, etc.

But the same general rule applies to the one that pops 'em up, and imo, anywhere where the multi-hit is useful, the pop-up is more useful. The one upside in the Rosa match is that it kills Luma really well. But Luma isn't a big issue if you land a choke that kills her anyway :p

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Flame Wave is so much fun in 2on2s.
You Choke an opponent, his teamate rushes in to punish you and/or prevent you from following up, only to be blasted away by the shockwave.

ToonWaker

Smash Cadet
NNID
5una23
3DS FC
3737-9687-2294
Could someone please mentor me or consider it please I feel like it would benefit me I am a hard worker and never give up despite the odds.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Going to go to a bottom tier Smash 4 and brawl tournament tomorrow.

Planning to crown Ganon as his rightful place as King there

Starts at around 1pm.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pidgezero_one
There's a bottom tier in Smash 4? Every time I feel like a character is bad or underpowered I wind up running into a really good main of said character that forces me to reevaluate my views. But if there is a bottom tier I don't know what Ganon would be doing down there.

Top Bottom