• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd go to the social threads and post my silhouettes. Enjoy!

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
I've been playing so much that my thumbs hurt and that hasn't happened in years. I think it's time for a mini break.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
So I went to Beauty 10 over at Gothenburg last weekend, I won my Smash 4 singles pool but got wrecked in bracket. However we made it to GF in quads which we unfortunately lost but I can safely say that Ganon solid in quads... really solid. Most of his bad stuff is just swept under rug, you can punish effectively, my mates could help me recover, you can rack a lot of percent, he's heavy, etc.

Has anyone else experience with the King of Evil in quads?

Here's a set that demonstrates Ganon in quads quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXpBGnVZuM

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
So I went to Beauty 10 over at Gothenburg last weekend, I won my Smash 4 singles pool but got wrecked in bracket. However we made it to GF in quads which we unfortunately lost but I can safely say that Ganon solid in quads... really solid. Most of his bad stuff is just swept under rug, you can punish effectively, my mates could help me recover, you can rack a lot of percent, he's heavy, etc.

Has anyone else experience with the King of Evil in quads?

Here's a set that demonstrates Ganon in quads quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXpBGnVZuM
Sadly, I haven't used him competitivley in quads, but I do agree he excels in it.
He's a monster actually, imo. Good job in those games, Krumm.

Last edited:

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
Totally off-topic but :
Call me weird, but I find this to be a fitting song for us Ganon mains. Ok, maybe not the song itself but the lyrics. Here's the translation :

Drowning in sweet illusions,
Oh, the foolishness of humans.
The Darkness passes our judgement;
We are the chosen children.

Living our lives as freely as we want,
We take what's ours without any concern! Not even our lives...

This is a Demon's Autonomism,
This is the Netherworld's Mechanism.
A shower of flowers to the outlaws!
The ones who follow the path of evil,
the old kings have fallen, we reign supreme
as the Outlaw Kings!

We are not mourned for our deaths,
nor do we linger on pointless farewells.
As long as someone stays to bury bodies,
The rest of you are worthless to me.

Living our lives as freely as we want,
We take what's ours without any regret! None all our lives...

This is a Demon's Autonomism,
This is the Netherworld's Mechanism.
A shower of flowers to the outlaws!
We shall lead the path of wickedness,
Casting down all those who dare oppose us,
We will reign supreme!

The old kings will kneel,
For We on the throne,
are the Extreme Outlaw Kings!!

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Brotheeeers!!!! I'm baaa-aaaack!!!!

Lent is over, and I'm bringing the hype. Had some amazing matches while I was away. Also, entered my first tournament. Came in 6th overall using Ganondorf. Was super happy about that.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention, the TO was talking mad trash about Ganondorf. He was a sheik main. I sent him to losers 2-0 with the King. (I hate sheik dittos :p) You wouldn't have believed the salt.

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I spent a bit of time playing Ganondorf yesterday, and all I gotta say is this.

He is so much fun, especially with Wizard's Dropkick. I feel like I'm playing this massive brute that is so intimidating that even I can feel how scary Ganondorf is. It was so much fun and I plan on playing him some more. :3

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Brotheeeers!!!! I'm baaa-aaaack!!!!

Lent is over, and I'm bringing the hype. Had some amazing matches while I was away. Also, entered my first tournament. Came in 6th overall using Ganondorf. Was super happy about that.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention, the TO was talking mad trash about Ganondorf. He was a sheik main. I sent him to losers 2-0 with the King. (I hate sheik dittos :p) You wouldn't have believed the salt.
Well, I actually lost to a Sheik player in an 8 man Round Robin back in February, though the games were close. I beat everyone else, including a Ness player who called the game "Trash 4". The hype was real, even if the tournament was small.

I applaud your efforts. Soon, everyone will fear Ganon.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I need to dedicate a bit more time to Ganon, but grad school is slowly killing me on the inside. :p

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I think Ganon has a deadly advantage over Samus this game. 60:40

In short, we can punish a lot of her moves on wiff, and there's no good options for her to kill other than full laser shots.

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I think Ganon has a deadly advantage over Samus this game. 60:40

In short, we can punish a lot of her moves on wiff, and there's no good options for her to kill other than full laser shots.
I think I agree. Honestly, I can't in good conscience say one way or the other since I've not once played a competent Samus in my life. But just from what I've seen, I can't imagine how she could have the tools to threaten us.

Maybe annoy us. But that's as far my imagination'll take me.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Do you guys think we could use U-smash as a punish for shielding? It does loads of shield damage and is safe on block, and once you land one, you've effectively disabled their shield, since shielding again risks a shield break.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Hmmm, with the IASA frames, is there usually enough shieldstun to guarantee a flamechoke before they can come out of shield? I've gotten it to work before but it may have just been bad opponents. I guess most characters could probably nair OoS if they can anticipate it, so it might be good once or twice in a set before they catch on. I dunno.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Hmmm, with the IASA frames, is there usually enough shieldstun to guarantee a flamechoke before they can come out of shield? I've gotten it to work before but it may have just been bad opponents. I guess most characters could probably nair OoS if they can anticipate it, so it might be good once or twice in a set before they catch on. I dunno.
*Dons lab coat*

Time for some science!

Nope, Doesn't work. The person who shields gets a slight frame advantage, meaning you can't guarantee anything off of it, but it's still safe on block due to it's pushback.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
*Dons lab coat*

Time for some science!

Nope, Doesn't work. The person who shields gets a slight frame advantage, meaning you can't guarantee anything off of it, but it's still safe on block due to it's pushback.
There is basically nothing in Smash that is actually positive on block that isn't a projectile. For a good reason, especially since there is no grab teching in Smash.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Usmash is good except it starts the same frame as Fsmash, 21. Ganon would have to get a read for it.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Yeah, I've never been able to get anything guaranteed out of a U smash on shield. However, I have been able to use it for some extreme mind games. Players new to the MU will usually run in immediately after Ganon's leg is up, trying to punish either with a dash attack or dash grab. This is the perfect situation for an F tilt. Better players will wait to see what you do immediately after the U Smash. Now here's the double edged sword: you can either do nothing and condition them to think you don't punish after U smash, leaving you able to surprise them if they do run in, OR you can throw out an F tilt or something after each and condition them to think you do. If you do that, typically they'll wait for the move after U smash and then run in. If you see them start to do this, you can wait them out to throw them off. Most who have been conditioned to think you punish after U smash will wait a second and then run in out of habit, potentially netting you a choke or a pivot grab, plus followups.

Btw, doesn't this belong in either Q&A or in the Sinister Secrets threads? lol

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Since get up attacks and U-smash individually do insane shield damage, you should try combine these two to get a shield break. Of course situational and cannot be relied on but it makes holding shield much less viable and it gives us a reason to be a bit more offensive.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Since get up attacks and U-smash individually do insane shield damage, you should try combine these two to get a shield break. Of course situational and cannot be relied on but it makes holding shield much less viable and it gives us a reason to be a bit more offensive.
Thing is, given the ending lag of get up attack and the startup time of u smash, you would have to be pretty bad at Smash in general to not either roll away or get a punish on Ganondorf in the time in between.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Thing is, given the ending lag of get up attack and the startup time of u smash, you would have to be pretty bad at Smash in general to not either roll away or get a punish on Ganondorf in the time in between.
Well I know that not a lot of people will fall for it but I have seen some decent players underestimate the shield damage U-smash does and they met their demise. Of course if they know what you want to do, you can predict that and act accordingly.

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I hesitate to make any bold claims before the patch in 2 days, but it's feeling more or less official to me: Ganondorf has become my main, and Yoshi has been relegated to secondary/CP status. Dark days ahead.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I hesitate to make any bold claims before the patch in 2 days, but it's feeling more or less official to me: Ganondorf has become my main, and Yoshi has been relegated to secondary/CP status. Dark days ahead.
Speaking of the patch, is anyone else worried they'll do something similar to what they did to Bowser's side b to Ganon's side b?
I for one am a little concerned about this possibility.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Bowser's side B was changed so that he couldn't just get a free kill the moment he got the % lead, almost no matter where you were on the stage. Since Ganon's Side-B will only ganoncide if you're already offstage, it has remained un-nerfed. I can't imagine why they'd suddenly nerf it now.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Speaking of the patch, is anyone else worried they'll do something similar to what they did to Bowser's side b to Ganon's side b?
I for one am a little concerned about this possibility.
Bowser's Side B allowed him to survive and recover from Bowsercides under certain situations if you were running the max recovery Up-B before the patch. That's why it was changed. Also, unlike Bowsercide, you can't Ganoncide anyone under any circumstances who's not right next to the ledge, so it's not hard to avoid.

Last edited:

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Bowser's Side B allowed him to survive and recover from Bowsercides under certain situations if you were running the max recovery Up-B before the patch. That's why it was changed. Also, unlike Bowsercide, you can't Ganoncide anyone under any circumstances who's not right next to the ledge, so it's not hard to avoid.
Ohhhhh! Didn't know about that. Thanks! Yeah I figured they had a reason like that for getting rid of bowsercide. Plus, I'd hoped they'd be reasonable enough to know that Ganocide isn't too easy to pull off on a decent opponent.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bowser also got a height boost for his upB if you mash B, he probably has a custom with better recovery too idk, If those let him bowsercide and recover it would be extremely cheep.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I've picked up Ganondorf again. Used to main him in brawl, with Link. I'll probably go all Ganon one of my next tourneys -- I have ones on the 25th and 26th at least. Both our Dutch Ganons seem to have retired, sadly.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Ganon's biggest buff in 1.06 was Sheiks B-air nerf. Losing pretty much the only move she could ever kill Ganon with is pretty significant. It's still a terrible matchup, but it's no longer intolerably skewed.

At this point, I'd say our absolute worst matchup is Villager. Rosalina is about as bad in customs off, but much better with customs on. Customs on, Villager is our only significantly bad matchup.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Mostly agreed, but not entirely.

I think the MUs that'd keep a number of Ganons down are Rosa, Sheik, Pika, Villager, ZSS and possibly Duck Hunt. Pika and DHD aren't terribly common though, but when someone comes across an A+ specimen thereof, that's when things get nasty.

Top Bottom