• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who wishes Ganon's Up B was more powerful? I mean, he has the punch at the end which is really good, but the grab itself is horrible knockback-wise. It does 11 damage which is alright, but the knockback is just.... ugh. In the midle of FD, most characters need like 200+ damage in order to kill. It's such a cool move; electroshocking with one arm before making them explode. To me, cooler than Falcon's Falcon Dive. But the fact that it's so weak makes me sad.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I mean, just be thankful that we don't still have Brawl's up B. There was a bug that made the up B grab have no hitstun, so that your opponent could hit you with a move the frame after you let go of them. You literally get punished for landing it; now THAT was a bad move.

Also I wouldn't complain about up B in this game since our custom up B's strength shatters the heavens.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
GG's @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG . I had fun playing against your Doc and am constantly surprised at how amazing his Up B is. After I messed up that stage spike in the last game and got gimped, I was disappointed that I couldn't pull off the epic comeback. Tried too hard to go for a shield break lol. Maybe next time I can vs your Ganon or something.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
GG's @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG . I had fun playing against your Doc and am constantly surprised at how amazing his Up B is. After I messed up that stage spike in the last game and got gimped, I was disappointed that I couldn't pull off the epic comeback. Tried too hard to go for a shield break lol. Maybe next time I can vs your Ganon or something.
Well, DK is probably one of Doc's harder matchups by design. It was a fun learning experience for me too.

Next time we can do Ganon vs DK, indeed. I'm trying to get my Doc about on par with my Ganon given I decided I have nearly as much fun playing Doc as I do Ganon.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
The only character I find fun besides Ganon is Little Mac. Little Manny Macquiao

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Fellow Demon Thieves, I've been doing pretty poor these last Days.
Just ain't feelin' it.
Any advince on how to snap out of it? Maybe I need to take a break?

Last edited:

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Just do what comes naturally Z1G. Play if you get the urge to play, and take a break if you don't feel like playing. I've always found that my gameplay temporarily feels more fresh after a break, but I've never used that as an excuse to force myself not to play. Maybe just stick to bullying some noobs until you get your mojo back.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Personally, I pick up a different fighting game when I'm feeling stale.

Dunno if it would work for you, but UMvC3, SC, Tekken and SF have each given a fresh perspective of game play to me which has in turn, improved my skill/renewed my enthusiasm.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
When i play badly i just pick up another game (preferably a good stress reliever) & play until i feel i've calmed down.

MrAnimorie

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrAnimorie
The amount of warlock respect is making me teary eyed. I absolutely love this. Now, enough tears. Let's CRUSH all who stand in our way.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Got 9th out of 45 at a weekly yesterday. Fairly happy since a lot of the top players showed up, so it was more stacked than the previous two weeks. I lost round 1 of Winners to a Lucario player named Day who ended up getting 2nd. Bit of unfortunate seeding there. He's coincidentally in my pool at Combo Breaker tomorrow so I'll get a rematch. I fought my way through losers and lost to the ZSS I lost to last week--though this time it was a close game 3. He got at least half of his kills by grab -> uthrow uair uair -> up B. Guaranteed kill at like 60% off a grab, that's just ridiculous : / Oh well.

Combo Breaker is tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how I do.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
There's nothing like pulling off a 0 to 80% death string on a decent Sonic.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I'm in winners semis in my pool and my next match is on the Vgbootcamp stream against the Lucario player I lost to on Thursday. Lend me your strength, Gerudo brothers, and help me exact vengeance.

Edit: Got 2-0d. Damn it

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I won a local today with Ganondorf (except one match where i went Shulk) :chuckle:.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I want to run something by you guys. In the thread for dealing with jank they're talking about Dark fists saying shield often is a good way to deal with it. That seems like a bad idea to me; Ganon has excellent shield pressure, flame choke/wave and doesn't he have Fair/Uair out of Dthrow (how's that work)?
If you were playing against Ganon how would you deal with Dark Fists? I think a bait and punish/ ground game seems good.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I want to run something by you guys. In the thread for dealing with jank they're talking about Dark fists saying shield often is a good way to deal with it. That seems like a bad idea to me; Ganon has excellent shield pressure, flame choke/wave and doesn't he have Fair/Uair out of Dthrow (how's that work)?
If you were playing against Ganon how would you deal with Dark Fists? I think a bait and punish/ ground game seems good.
wut

You don't need to "deal" with Dark Fists. It's a purely defensive move. It's frame 15 and has barely more range than Ganondorf's grab. If you get hit by it, it's because you did something dumb.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
My presence has been kinda quiet in recent weeks, and I apologize for that, Dorfs. I still have to make the tourney results thread and a few other things, so I certainly haven't forgotten. Things in life have taken a highly unexpected turn for me (for the sake of not concerning everyone, it's nothing serious, but it's not something I'd called pleasant), which has sort of made my presence dwindle a bit. I still check in a few times a day to make sure everything's going smoothly, but yeah, case anyone was making note of my silence recenty. :p

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I went to my first tournament and managed to win using the King of Evil himself, and the people there were tough competitors; however, I managed a flawless victory (no matches lost).

I did learn that using Ganondorf's Reverse Warlock Punch is a decent option, as I've hit opponents into a KO with it, and using Flame Choke will help me net comebacks and whatnot. I've also effectively learned edge-guarding to a new level and found out a lot more things.

Players were playing Sheik, Shulk, Yoshi, etc. and yet no one got me out a match. It was a satisfying victory and a nice tournament.

Last edited:

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
@radicallarry I like to know what situation your are throwing the Reversed WP I would like to try it out.

My moment today was playing ladder matches against someone ranked considerably higher than me and we started double blind Ganons. I was interested and on guard played too hesitant got behind and lost, but during match I realized he wasn't that good of a Ganon player. Match 2 was Ganon v Ganon again and I beat him good. I figured at this point he would switch characters to his main he switch to Luigi I feel good and even better when I realize he is not on the level of other Luigis I played and I beat him worse than the Ganon match. I feel good for winning and immediately ask him who he mains and he said Sheik and Rob. I say ok and offer some Ganon tips he says o I am not going to play him in any serious capacity. I said ok but thinking "so glad I beat you". He was super salty because I had to wait like 10mins for him to confirm that loss to me and he then immediately challenges me again thru the ladders never asking or saying anything before. I clicked the declined button. Ganon already destroyed him feel the pain of knowing Evil won this round HAHAHAHA.

The lesson for me was play my game no matter who is in front of me because you never know and rank means nothing!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
@ Scraptor Scraptor The situation I threw it out was after jumping from the ledge of the stage back on or going above the opponent on Battlefield's softer platforms. It allows for me to use it, and at times, my opponent runs into it. Since it allows me to move around after reversing, it's a viable technique for me.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I only just noticed how cool Ganondorf's Dash Attack looks in this game. The way his cape billows out behind him as he lunges forward is absolutely sublime. I wonder if his cape has more detailed animation this time around, cause I certainly don't remember Dash Attack looking this good in Brawl.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I only just noticed how cool Ganondorf's Dash Attack looks in this game. The way his cape billows out behind him as he lunges forward is absolutely sublime. I wonder if his cape has more detailed animation this time around, cause I certainly don't remember Dash Attack looking this good in Brawl.
Have you seen Ganondorf's cape in Melee on Icicle Mountain? That thing was waving like no tomorrow, too.
In Melee, the Dash attack had the same thing and in Brawl, I think the animation is less because the current game features more paper, wind and collision physics for capes and stuff.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
This is driving me batty (or keesey, if you will).

Is Ganondorf's F-air disjointed or not? Whenever I try to "test" if it's disjointed or not by hitting a non-moving player, it looks like his fist directly hits them. But there have been multiple times where I F-air and land a hit on people when his hand isn't even close to them, and it's fairly easy to tell where it hits people cause it has so much hitlag.

Edit: I boosted Ganondorf's attack to 200 (increasing the hitlag) and tested out his hitboxes and finally figured out why I was so confused. Ganon's F-air is disjointed because the hitbox of any given frame covers multiple parts of where his fist arcs rather than just where his fist is, causing it to have a considerable vertical disjoint.

At the same time, I tested some of Ganondorf's other hitboxes and... well, can we just call Ganondorf a sword character at this point?

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This is driving me batty (or keesey, if you will).

Is Ganondorf's F-air disjointed or not? Whenever I try to "test" if it's disjointed or not by hitting a non-moving player, it looks like his fist directly hits them. But there have been multiple times where I F-air and land a hit on people when his hand isn't even close to them, and it's fairly easy to tell where it hits people cause it has so much hitlag.

Edit: I boosted Ganondorf's attack to 200 (increasing the hitlag) and tested out his hitboxes and finally figured out why I was so confused. Ganon's F-air is disjointed because the hitbox of any given frame covers multiple parts of where his fist arcs rather than just where his fist is, causing it to have a considerable vertical disjoint.

At the same time, I tested some of Ganondorf's other hitboxes and... well, can we just call Ganondorf a sword character at this point?
You're really not the first person to call Ganon a sword character. His entire playstyle by design works exactly like that.

The main thing we have that most other sword characters don't is a GODLIKE Dash Attack. Which I guess is sorta fair compensation for having a nearly useless Jab...

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
You're really not the first person to call Ganon a sword character. His entire playstyle by design works exactly like that.

The main thing we have that most other sword characters don't is a GODLIKE Dash Attack. Which I guess is sorta fair compensation for having a nearly useless Jab...
Actually, the jab deals more damage than Melee's and comes out decently fast. And for a single hit, especially at the true sweetspot (which, in itself, is a disjointed hitbox), it's very impressive. I remember actually getting a KO off of Jab around 100% before, and this was before the buff.

Plus, let's not forget that Jab can link up into aerials if it hits, especially D-Air if the opponent's off stage. And it's also a good tool to get opponents off of you quickly if you are on the ground. The jab has a lot of properties that are left unexplored and unused.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Actually, the jab deals more damage than Melee's and comes out decently fast. And for a single hit, especially at the true sweetspot (which, in itself, is a disjointed hitbox), it's very impressive. I remember actually getting a KO off of Jab around 100% before, and this was before the buff.

Plus, let's not forget that Jab can link up into aerials if it hits, especially D-Air if the opponent's off stage. And it's also a good tool to get opponents off of you quickly if you are on the ground. The jab has a lot of properties that are left unexplored and unused.
Jab is pretty noticeably outclassed by F-tilt in most situations. Less reward, actually less safe on block. Furthermore it's still laggy enough to not be good for covering dodges either.

The only real advantage Jab has is it's Ganon's fastest ground move aside from grab at 8 frames (and thus some characters specifically get comboed by Flame Choke -> Jab only), but there's only a few situations where this actually matters. The damage buff to Jab does actually help Ganon a decent amount, given it means you can sorta replace F-tilt with Jab here and there more viably to keep some of your moves fresher, and the extremely few close range situations where you end up mashing out a Jab out of reflex are slightly less awful for Ganon.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Then again, I still can't explain how I KO'd with jab at version 1.0.2 on the 3DS game. It was a very low damage as far as I can remember, so there should have been no reason for it to have KO'd early. Needs more testing now I guess.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I only use jab on super tight punishment windows, one of the few times I choose a med risk/low reward move lol.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'd attempt it but I do a lot of things that are unusual and can't help but write from my personal experience.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I remember the days when Ganondorf was smiling.

Anyways, I could write a comprehensive guide to playing Ganondorf, and if anyone wants to chip in to help, like this post and we'll discuss what we need to write about.

Top Bottom