• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The future of Melee (who's going to take over?)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
So to reignite discussion, what do you guys think of other international players that could do well against North America? There's quite a few potentials, but I think everyone can agree that Calle W coming to Pound 5 (or whichever tournament is the next international), would be the most interesting. Machdash has also become popular recently and seems like he could at least make a bracket without much trouble. Armada has been consistent so far and has beaten M2K for the third time now, while Amsah coming for another round would be exciting to see if he could do it again.

Also after seeing Axe, Taj and Wobbles (lol AZ) do very well with lesser characters, do you think they may have untapped potential in them like Jigglypuff was, even if not to the same degree? What other characters could perform as well as they did if only someone with the right skill set takes a hold of them?

And after reading an oldschool players/moments thread, who do you think currently is well ahead of our time, that one day we'll look back at them, as we do today with Ken, Bombsoldier and others? Will there be future Jigglypuffs at the same level of Hungrybox, will some characters get totally reinvented and will Melee become even faster and more amazing (see: Axe vs Jman/Shiz; they were going at insane speeds, yet near-flawlessly)?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yoshi's gettin top 5 at pound 5.
callin it right now.

HugS™

Smash Lord
i cant beleive mango is dissing apex when armada travels to the us primarily to beat him. what a little punk *****.
LoL top players quit because of **** like this. They start feeling like they are expected to do things.

When they don't, they gotta hear about it. When they do, well, it's expected, so no one really cares.

You can only deal with a "lose/lose" situation for so long before you stop caring.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
and then hbox 2-0's and 3-0's armada so I don't really give a **** about people *****ing about Mango's shenanigans.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
and then hbox 2-0's and 3-0's armada so I don't really give a **** about people *****ing about Mango's shenanigans.
truth. armada isn't capable of winning a us tourney with hbox and mango. m2k could beat him but he would have to probably quit brawl. set was close but AR proved to be dominant.

m2k is his closest competitor. can't **** with the puffs

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
armada beat mango all of the friendlies they played (atleast the ones on the livestream). armada->mango and the reason that he lolled around and sandbagged during the tournament was because he knew that if he met armada he'd lose and he didnt want to lose his title.
people will say that mango is still better because armada lost to hbox but thats inui logic.

SDC

Smash Lord
armada beat mango all of the friendlies they played (atleast the ones on the livestream). armada->mango and the reason that he lolled around and sandbagged during the tournament was because he knew that if he met armada he'd lose and he didnt want to lose his title.
people will say that mango is still better because armada lost to hbox but thats inui logic.
Hmmm....using friendlies to declare your own defeaten hero superior to the best player in the world....I'm detecting a butthurt fanboi here.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
according to everyone mango was far superior to armada because of the friendlies they played at pound 4. but off course when its no longer in mangos favor friendlies dont count anymore.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
imma let you finish, but mango is the best melee player of all time.

really tho, im just gonna stop your troll in the box shenangans before **** goes dumb. mango is bored. AR didn't even won.

we know he *****. but mango is a beast. ***** did petri well with mario. eggz killed him oft cuz ***** was a mario main.

tell armada to beat hbox

booshk

Smash Lord
LOOOl
aight man, aight.

and lol at melee dying cuz of hbox wtf :p

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
assuming that mango wouldve won is preposterous considering how close they where @ genesis (the only tourny sets theyve played) and that mango got so dominated in friendlies at apex. stupid, ridicoulus, ******** people.

SDC

Smash Lord
according to everyone mango was far superior to armada because of the friendlies they played at pound 4. but off course when its no longer in mangos favor friendlies dont count anymore.
assuming that mango wouldve won is preposterous considering how close they where @ genesis (the only tourny sets theyve played) and that mango got so dominated in friendlies at apex. stupid, ridicoulus, ******** people.
Lol no.

Reasons why people think Mango is better then Armada:

1. Mango beat the snot out of him in what many consider to be one of the best sets of all time at Genesis.

2. Mango wins Pound 4, but Armada doesn't even get 3rd place, losing to one of his European homies.

3. Hbox makes Armada his swooning little girl repeatedly in the finals of APEX, which shows that your godly hero Amanda can't win an international tournament even when his "rival" (lol) Mango isn't present.

Hbox dominated. Armada was humiliated. Get over it.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Inui logic. I guess Skler is the best player in the world according to you aswell hmm?
1. Mango beat the snot out of him in what many consider to be one of the best sets of all time at Genesis.
he lost a set, and mango was stupidly close to losing the second set several times.
mango armada was close last time they played in tournament, and last time they played at all armada dominated mango. and yet somehow people think that mango wouldve undoubtedly won.
people are ****ing *******.

X1-12

Smash Champion
well actually its not like 'why are you even here?' since he's just beaten everyone else in thr tourney....

SDC

Smash Lord
well actually its not like 'why are you even here?' since he's just beaten everyone else in thr tourney....
And the Atlanta Falcons made it to the super bowl, but they got annihilated by the Broncos. People were saying "wait, why did they make it here?" It's kind of like when you don't even win a game against the guy who beat you in finals, people think "so, how did you make it here Armada? Came all this way to get feminized by Hbox eh?" :p

I know I'm bein mean, but I'm celebratin: mah dude won (EDIT: Like I said and knew he would) and I am happy.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Spam Arrows is officially the first person on my ignore list, kids a troll.

How can you say that you are Melee's future when you don't have faith IN MELEES FUTURE?

Even if Hungrybox wins every national for the next five years (lolPPwillTAP), the game won't die. Sure, unknown kids will quit and people will QQ but it's been done since Mango won Pound 3. People will continue to hate and try to take from others wins but in the end they still won. The tournament outcomes are getting bigger, upsets are being made, new kids on the block are inside their rooms playing with themselves practicing techskill and all in all, *****s love this game.

I don't think anyone who plays Melee has said "This is a bad game and I don't enjoy playing it." because it isn't. Even if you loss, you realize how much fun you have and can contnue yo play even if someone rapesss you in a tourney set that you think you could've won. If you think someone's playing gay, step it up, its your fault for not finding the weaknesses you could exploit.

/end

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Why are people saying that the skill level will drop if big name, top tier, players leave melee? do people not realize that it takes more skill to make a low tier good than a high tier good?

also i just had a smashfest this last weekend. had about 10 new recruits come to the game, all with different play styles and all showing promise and potential.

this game is far from being over and done.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
why is everyone hating on armada?
sure he's european, but he helped elevate the smash community at genesis and pound 4.
first us tournament = sending the undisputed best player in the world to losers and then being one stock away from winning the entire thing, twice? (with the crowd against him) Not to mention beating m2k in both tournaments.
doing all this with peach without playing gay and being fun as hell to watch?
wheres the love?
Late post, but I fail to see how camping shield, pulling 9001 irregular turnips, and the dirtiest edgeguards smash has ever seen ISN'T playing gay.

SDC

Smash Lord
Late post, but I fail to see how camping shield, pulling 9001 irregular turnips, and the dirtiest edgeguards smash has ever seen ISN'T playing gay.
Honestly, both you and Return semi-fail: There isn't really any such thing as "playing gay", there is only playing true to your style and using your character to the best of its and your ability.

strawhats

Smash Master
anyway....armada got ***** by HBOX's style. MikeHaggar's logic fails because mango doesnt play as "gay" as HBOX and therefore played more straightfoward (entertaining style of puff) which armada's style counters.. However I'll tell you this HBOX won the tourney then proceeded to get his *** handed to him by mango in a MM later that night at the end of Apex (Fox vs. jiggz) mango tapped. then he tapped again in a double or nothing MM (fox vs. Puff again). The day before that mango went falco and beat HBOX 3-1) then they went double or nothing (HBOX won 3-2 last hit stuff of course Falco vs. Puff), Finally Mango took out the puff (spanked HBOX IN DITTOS )

Mango is the best melee player of all time.....its just reality, you can't defy what is truth (im sorry but you'll have to get over it eventually) Mango made a sstatement on the livestream saying that his performance in tournament is completely up to him (aka he could do whatever he wants) if he plays on point according to him no one can hold a flame to his candle.

As Mutha Fuking Cocky as that sounded he's prob right at this point....he's that much ahead of everyone when he's trying. OH and btw he regards m2k as the only person (in his prime with tech skill and no emotions hindering him) as the only person that would give him an interesting fight (though mango still thinks he would win in the end).

Armada and HBOX wll be rivals for a long time i believe although armada was upset that mango decided not to take the tourney seriously becuz he wanted to play him). BTW Friendlies dont mean ****...not even when it was FOX VS. ARMADA AT POUND 4. However mango has proven time and time again that he's not on our level he's above it (not even HBOX can do a **** thing about that).

In the end all ive got to say is accept the fact that Armada doesnt like the PUFFF MU and at this pont HBOX AND MANGO are the better players.

P.S. although armada beat m2k again, you cant dispute the fact that they always have some pretty **** epic sets. I willl admit that armada is the better player....I'd say they are evnly matched skill wise but in terms of mindset, spacing, minimizing mistakes, adapting, and keeping a cool head under armada beats out m2k by the slimmest of margins in their tourney sets. GOOD **** ARMADA I RESPECT YOU MY D00D.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
armada got ***** by HBOX's style. MikeHaggar's logic fails because mango doesnt play as "gay" as HBOX and therefore played more straightfoward (entertaining style of puff) which armada's style counters..
wait how does this go agianst anything that i said? this is what im saying, armada wouldve beaten mango in tournament despite losing to hbox. saying that mango->armada because hbox->armada is ******** inui logic.

the fact that mango wasnt willing to play armada in a mm but WAS willing to play hbox in a mm after the tournament further supports what i'm saying. mango was scared to lose to armada. thats also why he sandbagged and lolled around in the tournament (so he wouldnt have to face armada)

S l o X

Smash Champion
I lied guys, MikeH is the first one on my ignore list. Stop quoting him please.

Actually, those are one of my friend's exact words. He absolutely hates Melee or any kind of competitive game for that matter. :|
Any game can be competitive. If he hates every competitive game, all that's telling me is that he's trying to be a rebel. He's trying to be an attention *****. "Any kind of competitive game." means he hates sports in general. Tell him to quit life.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom