• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Nail: Why Brawl Can't Be Blamed for Melee's Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiyama

Smash Ace
You have no logic. You're saying that Brawl has not caused melee's downfall?
When brawl was made many melee players switched to brawl, thus causing problems from there not being enough melee players to make a sensible tournament. So you're saying that brawl being launched isn't brawl's fault? Or maybe your arguement is that it's melee players faults for switching. Well, that could be true but then again it is Brawl's fault for being released and then many players choosing brawl and then becoming brawl players.

It all comes down too "What will give me more money?" It's funny how the sin know as Greed plays a huge factor, good melee players go and kill brawl tournies and pick up cash, like it was taking candy from a baby. If you were in a situation where you could play people at a lower level for 100$ cash, or play people at you level or better for 25$, you are obviously gonna go with choice 1, easy and pays more, so don't blame brawl(great fun game), don't blame melee(great fun game), blame the greed in you felow melee'ers hearts, wich tell them to do what lines their pockets more.
Your really are an idiot, I hope you know that. If you are honestly going to tournaments for money, just leave. tournaments are for fun. The fact of the matter is that I will never win any major tournaments. I view it as paying 20 dollars for a days worth of entertainment, and it's darn good entertainment at that. So I really don't care at all about the pot size. All I care about is the fun, which is why is given the choice between melee and Brawl I would always choose melee. Unfortunately as of late my only choice has been Brawl, so I'm just waiting it out with the brawl tournaments, now I'm going to see the people and socialize, not for the tournaments anymore.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
you Have No Logic. You're Saying That Brawl Has Not Caused Melee's Downfall?
When Brawl Was Made Many Melee Players Switched To Brawl, Thus Causing Problems From There Not Being Enough Melee Players To Make A Sensible Tournament.
Oh My Fuc king God.
Do You Guys Not Know Anything About The Melee Scene?

@Vulcan: So if people play both Brawl and Melee they're Brawlers?
No. when did I say that?
If they play Brawl only, they are.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
They aren't Brawlers in their hearts, though. :laugh: Before I went to the gym, I was all ready to do some debating and crap... but now that I'm back and the endorphins are rushing around my bloodstream... I'm not really in the mood right now. Maybe when I relax and eat, I'll be in a more argumentative mood. :laugh: Glad to see there's actual discussion going on here, and not just flaming. That's two threads now that haven't devolved into flamefests in the first few pages. ^_^ Also glad to see that (most) people are seeing the message behind the words, which is always good.

Wrath`

Smash Master
No, not obviously. What choice I make would depend on the game being played. If in both situations it answer is Melee, I would go with 2 so I could meet pros and other people I look up to. If it is Brawl I would do neither because I hate Brawl with a passion.
If the one that pays 100 is Brawl and the other Melee, I would play Melee for the reason above.

Not everybody is greedy.
AND STOP CALLING PEOPLE WHO USED TO PLAY MELEE BUT PLAY BRAWL NOW MELEE PLAYERS!
THEY PLAY BRAWL, THEY ARE BRAWLERS!
so you may be one of the people who stuck too melee, and I find that respecticble, but some melee'ers(AND THEY DO PLAY MELEE, just brawl for bucks) are greedy, coreygames and a few other talk about this "lost many" who brawl for bucks, and says that we could get melee back up and running if they came back. so they are melee'ers at heart.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Oh My Fuc king God.
Do You Guys Not Know Anything About The Melee Scene?
I know tat in my area it's dead. I live in Ann Arbor, home of Univ or Mich and teh U of M biweeklies. It's summer but in fall we're going back to melee.

Also, why did you capitalize all my letter o.O

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
so you may be one of the people who stuck too melee, and I find that respecticble, but some melee'ers(AND THEY DO PLAY MELEE, just brawl for bucks) are greedy, coreygames and a few other talk about this "lost many" who brawl for bucks, and says that we could get melee back up and running if they came back. so they are melee'ers at heart.
people like that don't represent the entire melee community and seems that some people think so. You cannot say "Melee'ers" are THE cause of the debate.

also, melee is FAR from dead and is "up and running".

I know tat in my area it's dead. I live in Ann Arbor, home of Univ or Mich and teh U of M biweeklies. It's summer but in fall we're going back to melee.
Well, don't generalize if you don't understand the current state of the community.
Also, why did you capitalize all my letter o.O
err, wat/

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, so the edit I did got lost in the page turn, so I'll post it here:

I remembered something I wanted to say, though. To all the people saying that it all the Melee problems are still Brawl's fault because if Brawl hadn't been released, we'd never have had so many Melee players switch over, etc., I postulate this. Your line of reasoning could easily be expanded to the following two statements:

The Iraq war was caused by the Iraqis. If they had never been there in the first place, we wouldn't have had to invade their country to 'liberate' them at all.

The Holocaust wasn't Hitler's fault, it was the Jews'. If they had never been there to begin with, he never would have had to try to exterminate them, and there never would have been massive genocide.

Obviously, those are statements made with broken logic. It is always possible to defer responsibility to something or someone down a line of causation, but the farther away from the base of causation you get, the more you have to reach to place blame. So, yes, it is totally possible to BS your way to blaming Brawl for A, B, or C. If you had ANY intellectual honesty, though, you'd admit that you have to reach to do so, and that it is much easier (and much more accurate) to just place blame where it is due (on the shoulders of the Melee players who deferred to Brawl).

Wrath`

Smash Master
people like that don't represent the entire melee community and seems that some people think so. You cannot say "Melee'ers" are THE cause of the debate.

also, melee is FAR from dead and is "up and running".

Well, don't generalize if you don't understand the current state of the community.

err, wat/
There is one contradicting flaw in all melee'ers posts, some say BRAWL IS DEAD OR DYING, whiel other say IT"S ALIVE AND KICKIG. I would love to know wich one it is, (cause it is dead where I live)

okiyama

Smash Ace
Ok, so the edit I did got lost in the page turn, so I'll post it here:

I remembered something I wanted to say, though. To all the people saying that it all the Melee problems are still Brawl's fault because if Brawl hadn't been released, we'd never have had so many Melee players switch over, etc., I postulate this. Your line of reasoning could easily be expanded to the following two statements:

The Iraq war was caused by the Iraqis. If they had never been there in the first place, we wouldn't have had to invade their country to 'liberate' them at all.

The Holocaust wasn't Hitler's fault, it was the Jews'. If they had never been there to begin with, he never would have had to try to exterminate them, and there never would have been massive genocide.
Fair enough, it's not Brawl's fault, it's sakurai's fault.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
There is one contradicting flaw in all melee'ers posts, some say BRAWL IS DEAD OR DYING, whiel other say IT"S ALIVE AND KICKIG. I would love to know wich one it is, (cause it is dead where I live)
assuming you mean Melee, not Brawl, it is very much alive.
Like I said earlier, anyone who says Melee is dead has no Idea what they're talking about.

because no one plays Melee in your city doesn't mean it's dead. I mean, come on people.
No one besides me, my brother and ONE of my friends play Melee around where I live, so is it dead? HELL NO.

Wrath`

Smash Master
assuming you mean Melee, not Brawl, it is very much alive.
Like I said earlier, anyone who says Melee is dead has no Idea what they're talking about.

because no one plays Melee in your city doesn't mean it's dead. I mean, come on people.
No one besides me, my brother and ONE of my friends play Melee around where I live, so is it dead? HELL NO.
whoops, yeah melee., yeah 3-4 people= DEAD, when about 1year1/2 ago there was probably 40 melee'ers in your area. 4 people is a dead guy having some last minute muscle jerks.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Imagine brawl with hitstun on wifi. It would be an absolute wreck since you need to be precise, haha.

Tl;dr, just kidding. You have some good points, but unfortunately people will go with everyone else, its human instinct.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Now I see you didn't say that, I apologize. But you seem to believe that everyone who's switched to Brawl has never played Melee since. Is that really the case?
No, competetively, maybe, but that's not who I'm talking about.

whoops, yeah melee., yeah 3-4 people= DEAD, when about 1year1/2 ago there was probably 40 melee'ers in your area. 4 people is a dead guy having some last minute muscle jerks.
You can venture OUTSIDE of your city to go a tournament.
obviously not every city has a thriving Melee competetive community, but the world is bigger than that.

Thats the point I was trying to make, anyway. :/

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This is probably the most educated and validly striking post Ive seen since the release of Brawl in Japan. I'm dead serious. If someone attempts to go 100% against this and make exactly opposite arguments, then they're either an idiot, or blind of the truth.

I, for one, support that post, and every letter in that huge wall of text.

Wrath`

Smash Master
The only flaw withing the OP is that sequals do make its predisesors die out a bit, like obviously Madden 09 will make madden 08 die out, as is the nature of a sequil, so no mater what even if was one person, all it takes is one person to say "I switched to brawl beacause it is new". and this will somewhat prove that brawl ousted melee in a way.

Can't we all just get along?

The_Dark_Zero

Smash Cadet
The smash community disgusts me. Its full of elitist *******s who think they're all so great, its full of WHINERS, its full of insane people. About 11% of the community is good. Those 11% are the best players, SMYN, the back roomers/mods, and around 50 members of smashboards.....then it goes downhill. It would be better off if MELEE never existed, then everyone wouldn't be crazy...Melee caused half of this crap. :mad:

Reioumu

Smash Lord
The smash community disgusts me. Its full of elitist *******s who think they're all so great, its full of WHINERS, its full of insane people. About 11% of the community is good. Those 11% are the best players, SMYN, the back roomers/mods, and around 50 members of smashboards.....then it goes downhill. It would be better off if MELEE never existed, then everyone wouldn't be crazy...Melee caused half of this crap. :mad:

What the Eff Dee are you talking about?

Btw, I disagree with the OP on a lot of it, I'll make a post later explaining why.
-Rei

okiyama

Smash Ace
Oh, the freaking irony.

Basically, there was bound to be an influx of idiots when the new game came out. In about 2 years the people that are idiots will either mature, leave or get banned. That'll be the golden age of Brawl or melee, or both.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
You've been here for two days.
I highly doubt you actually know anything about what the community is like. You also clearly don't realize the point behind the debate and all you are doing is pointless, uneducated, flaming.

You realize without Melee, There would be no Brawl either.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
:ohwell:

Where did that come from? And awesome percentages that totally aren't made up on the spot. My favorite.

As for deciding who or what or why something should be blamed for whatever, it really doesn't help at all, since the issues will still be there to be dealt with. Blame whoever you want, Sakurai, the guy sitting next to you, or some random dude on the internet, it still doesn't change the fact that we need to address the issue of "Melee vs Brawl". It would be nice to figure out why and how it all started, and what set up for it, but simply searching for who or who not to blame won't really get us anywhere.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
I love Melee, and will continue to play and love it from time to time. I dislike much about Brawl, but I don't give much of a crap about its effect on the future of Melee's competitive scene.
Characters have been mastered, techniques founded, and battles won. Melee had its high time. If it fades, so be it.

cjrocker

Smash Ace
I said it in the other topic, I'll say it here; you owe me $78.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I was one of the three people at coreygames' tourney.

I'M FAMOUS, RIGHT?

Lol

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
The Melee/Brawl debate has now been raging for close to five months, and it has taken a toll on the boards. General Brawl Discussion is a mess, transformed into a pit of flames that would make Satan himself blush. Melee Discussion, almost regularly (though it has been getting better) gets threads extolling the detriments that Brawl players bring upon the Smash community. Members of either game's community venture into the opposite game's boards with the sole aim of trolling or flame-baiting.
I agree that there are an incredible number of useless posts but I'm not going to be cynical enough to say that members of either game''s community solely went to the other game's boards for the sole purpose of trolling or flame-baiting. People like Yuna have made long and intelligent posts.
I will now prove, logically, how inane this line of thinking is and dispel once and for all the notion that we, as a community, cannot continue to play both games competitively, as well as the notion that Brawl (as well as the people who play it) is somehow to blame for all of Melee's problems.
Brawl isn't the cause of all of Melee's problems but to say it isn't the cause of most of them is nonsense. Let's say hypothetically that Brawl was never going to be made. Do you honestly think right now that Melee tournaments would be the exact same size? I think it's safe to say that isn't true.

Many, even in the early days, cited a lack of AT's (advanced techniques), most notably L-canceling (which was replaced with auto-canceled aerials), a lack of hitstun, and floaty physics as Brawl's downfall, and over the next few weeks leading up to Brawl's American release, SWF was ablaze with members warning about Brawl's 'features', or lack thereof. Yet, when Brawl's American release date came, a peculiar thing happened...

Despite all warnings, an overwhelming majority of Melee players purchased Brawl anyway.
I own a copy of Brawl. I won a Melee tournament that had no entry fee at my college and the prize for winning was a fully paid pre-order for Brawl. With hindsight, it is easy to see that it was foolish to expect that Brawl would develop to be a very good competitive game. I am fairly certain the majority of people who purchased Brawl did so with the expectation that things would be discovered to make comboing better and for the game to be played faster. I sure as hell know that's why a good number of people bought it in NJ/PA. Is that really such bad logic? To purchase Brawl with the attempts of trying to make it a better game? Wavedashing was not discovered within the first month of competitive Melee.

This is the first step toward realizing that Brawl is not the cause of Melee's downfall. Every member of SWF, right out of the box, knew what Brawl's weaknesses were. Every member knew how different the game was. Every member heard the pro's evaluations and dismissals of the game, and every member knew what to expect going into their purchase. Most ignored the warnings and bought Brawl anyway. Not a single Melee player was forced to buy Brawl on day one. Not a single Melee player was forced to go to midnight tournaments, or first week tournaments, or even first month tournaments. Every Melee player that bought Brawl made a conscious decision to ignore the warnings of both Japanese and American top players and bought Brawl anyway. The current state of Brawl's popularity is just as much their fault as it is anyone else's. This, naturally, brings me to my next point.
No, every member of SWF did not know exactly 100% of how competitive Brawl was going to look like months after it was released when they bought it on the first day.

See this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujLvRh_4JHQ&feature=user
It looks distinctly different from this, besides the fact that the characters are different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr9EoMXWEGo

Also, it wasn't an idiotic notion to assume that Brawl was going to improve as a game as time went on. There are things that have been discovered relatively recently in Melee's life like scarjumping. I for one believed that combos like the ones that exist in Melee would be discovered in Brawl.

Brawl is currently more popular in tournament settings than Melee is, if SWF posters are to be believed (in terms of tournaments held and entrants per tournament). Many Melee supporters cite this popularity as the main reason Melee is so weak in the competitive scene and postulate that the trend will continue if Brawl is allowed to be played competitively. Well known poster and respected forum-goer coreygames gives us a look into this mindset by way of anecdote:
Tragically, in some regions the majority of the people play Brawl competitively. What this means is that the players in those regions who play Brawl competitively and not Melee should be considered BRAWL players, NOT Melee players. MD/VA is mainly a region of Brawl players. I've heard from sepiroth666 that about 1/2 the people who show up at Brawl tournaments used to be Melee players until Brawl came out and the other half are new people.

This, it seems, is a scenario that pervades the Melee scene regularly. It is the cause of much hostility towards the Brawl community as well. On the surface, it seems justified that coreygames is upset with the Brawl community; after all, Brawl stole his players, didn't it? I will now prove why this logic is fallacious and why Melee only has itself, as well as its own players, to blame not only for coreygame's situation, but also for the entirity of the poor state of Melee affairs.
This actually is the first time I've heard of such a scenario :laugh:.

No, we would be deluded and blind to believe that this, though motivated, completely un-knowledgeable group would, without connections, resources, or stability, be able to topple competitive Melee. Who, then, must be blamed for Melee's current condition? If not Brawl and its players, who should be held responsible for the decline of competitive Melee?

Simply, competitive Melee players and tournament organizers.
Tournament organizers are NOT to blame.
me said:
Who is the person who posted this?
Plank said:
choosing brawl over melee is practically betraying the game we've spent years loving.

It's like cheating on your hot model girlfriend with inui, we just don't do that.
Plank's response said:
LOL spam i still agree melee is a better game, but as far as wanting serious tournament attendance, melee just isn't the way to go. Especially not in MD/VA
If the majority of a region doesn't play Melee a tournament organizer can't run a Melee tournament and expect a decent number of people to turn up. Not everyone has a choice to do what they want. Plank and plenty of other TO's didn't. If any group is to blame it is the group that USED to play Melee competitively and now plays Brawl competitively. If Brawl did not exist, I think it's safe to say that they would have continued to play Melee competitively until they got bored and quit.

It is this group who single-handedly demolished the reign of competitive Melee. The Melee players abandoned their own game for easy money and easy glory at the dramatic cost of not only competitive Melee, but also their own enjoyment of the game of Smash! Pro player Mew2King has on occasion stated his own distaste for Brawl and its gameplay:

One the largest (and most valid) criticisms aimed at not only M2K, but the entire Brawl-playing sect of the Melee community is very simple: If you hate the game so much, why do you play it? The answer, of course, is obvious. As of now, you can make more money playing Brawl than you can playing Melee. This is, in and of itself, not a bad thing, nor is it hypocritical.

A problem arises, however, when a Brawl-playing Melee supporter complains about the sorry state of Melee. This person, at a base level, is the true reason that Melee is on the decline. Brawl players, especially new members to the arena, do not have the time, money, resources, knowledge, etc., to run a successful large-scale Brawl tournament. The big tournaments, the ones bringing in the big cash and the large numbers of players, are run by former Melee TO's. These people, the same TO's so worried about competitive Melee's future, the same people who are quick to place blame on Brawl and Brawlers, are the very people making the conscious choice to host Brawl tournaments instead of Melee tournaments! The former Melee players entering these tournaments, the same ones who should be expected to populate Melee tournaments and the same ones who are quick to point fingers at Brawlers and Brawl tournaments for sucking away player attendance, are making the conscious decision to forgo competing in Melee tournaments so that they can make more money in Brawl tournaments! And the same pros that bash Brawl and Brawlers for shallowness and 'gayness' are consciously choosing to play said 'gay' game for more easy cash than to go and play an ailing game that they enjoy much more!
I this Brawl is a very shallow terrible game that is not suited for tournaments. Mew2King thinks along those lines as well.

Let me tell you something. I entered a Brawl doubles tournament that was a 2 minute walk from my dorm. After I got first in doubles, I got a ride to the train station before singles started, paid ~$15 for a one-way ticket to Philly where I was picked up to go to Smashtastrophe 2, a Melee tournament. There were 5 people in the car and the tournament was in Pittsburgh. Everyone in the car paid a total of $50 for gas and tolls. Entry fees for crews, singles, doubles, and low tiers added up to $30. I spent ~$10-15 for food on this trip, I had no guarantee or expectation of winning money in any event except low tiers because Mew2King, Vidjogamer, and Chu Dat were going to be there. I knew exactly how expensive going to Smashtastrophe 2 was going to be over a week prior to going.

Never in my life have I been as proud of how I did in Smash as I performed at that tournament. In low tiers I beat Jiano 2-0, Mew2King 2-1 and 3-1, and after getting 3-0ed by Chu Dat in winners finals I won the first set 3-0 then lost 0-3 in grand finals. In singles I had Chu Dat R3 in winners and I won 2-1. R4 in winners was against Vidjogamer and I won 2-1 and then winners finals I got 3-0ed by Mew2King and then lost to Chu Dat 1-3. In doubles I got 7th with Lord Knight and in crews I got first along with Mew2King, Eggm, and Lord Knight. My total winnings gave me about a profit of $5 for going to Smashtastrophe 2. I could have stayed on campus, entered the Brawl singles tournament, made more money since I was all but guaranteed to get top 3 and probably split first and second. Hell, I could have stayed at Smashtastrophe 2, the venue had free housing and the second day of the tournament was Brawl. I did neither of those because Brawl is a bad game.

Yes, I will enter Brawl tournaments if they are close by as thus far I have never failed to place high enough to win money. At every Brawl tournament I have been at I have spent the entire time playing Melee friendlies when I wasn't playing Brawl tournament matches because Melee is a far superior game and Brawl doesn't require any warmup. There was one Brawl tournament where I spent 2-3 matches playing friendlies with a Kirby because I had Chu next and I wanted to make sure I'd win because if I didn't I wasn't going to place high enough to win $, though the time was wasted because Chu went Snake on me :(.

People like our dear coreygames have no reason, nor any right, to be mad at Brawl or Brawlers. Brawlers didn't abandon coreygame's tournament. Melee players did! Coreygames' own friends, compatriots, and fellow Melee players abandoned him to play Brawl of their own free will; they were not forced to go to the Brawl tournament, nor were they coerced or manipulated. Brawlers did not go up to these people and extol the virtues of Brawl, convincing them to play an (as far as many Melee players are concerned) 'inferior' game. These very players did what they, and other, do on a constant and daily basis all on their own. Sakurai did not make them trip and fall into the Brawl scene.
I have every reason and every right to be mad at Brawl. The game is a massive letdown. Prior to it's release I wanted it to replace Melee as much as Melee had replaced smash 64 and I wanted it to be as much better than smash 64 as Melee is. What a MASSIVE letdown Brawl is. I will never enter a Brawl tournament on the same day as a Melee tournament if I have any way to get to the Melee tournament. YOU have no right to tell me I can't be mad because people like me and M2K enter Brawl tournaments on days when Melee tournaments aren't running.

There is no reason to blame Brawl, Brawl supporters, Brawl players, or Brawl TO's for any of Melee's problems, because the Melee community brought every single one of them unto themselves. If these people really cared for Melee or for its continued competitive existence, they would play Melee. They would hold Melee tournaments. They would support their own game instead of calling on Brawl players to support it for them. Doing otherwise is childish and hypocritical.
Brawl IS to be blamed for many of Melee's problems. As I said earlier, if Brawl had never been made then there would be more Melee tournaments and more people playing Melee. That is FACT. I'm not going to go around posting that in every Brawl thread but it IS true. I DO play Melee. Mew2King DOES play Melee. Many people care FAR more about it and when there are tournaments, which is pretty frequently in the NJ/PA area, I go to them.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Posted in other thread, but this one needs it as well:

To clear some things up:

The facts
-MLG picked up Melee in the summer of 2004.
-MLG dropped Melee after 2006, but sponsored 4 events (all but one with 200+ attendance) in 2007
-EVO picked up Melee in 2007
-EVO sucks

MLG did not drop Melee/pick up Brawl for ANY of the following reasons:
-Inferior games
-Bad community
-Their kiddy looks
-Any of the other common misconceptions
The actual reason was never disclosed but is more sponsor/business related. Nothing is/was wrong with Smash.

Brawl tournaments are being powered by the over 50,000 members that have joined this site since September 2007. Those players came for Brawl. Telling them to play Melee or that Melee is a better game is meaningless to the majority of them. Then, put on top of that total a large number of Melee players moving onto Brawl and enjoying the game (Forward, myself, Edrees, tons of people who don't post/don't care) and you have a recipe for Brawl thriving while Melee dimishishes. The Brawl community is building itself and is also recieving the helping hand of some Melee vets who have moved on.

You are right though, all that needs to happen are all those Melee players that hate Brawl should stop going to Brawl tournaments. They don't follow their own morals/beliefs but apparently aren't afraid to tell others what to do.

Money was a reason back during the Melee days, its nothing new (biggest growth outside of Brawl was related to MLG, MLG = money).

Did anyone honestly think a console game was going to make it 10 years before people moved on?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Stop pulling figures out of your ***, kid.

Here's an idea: Why don't you actually go to a tournament sometime? You know, one that takes place OUTSIDE of your house or your local Gamestop? With big names and everything?

Edit:

Did anyone honestly think a console game was going to make it 10 years before people moved on?
ST says "hi," Alpha.

Smooth Criminal

Skler

Smash Master

These analogies are terrible as the Iraqis didn't take citizens from America by promising them money and the Jews didn't steal Germans by promising them money. If the Iraqis/Jews has been harming America/Germany your analogies would make sense. The problem with your analogies is they're wrong.

Melee was fine on it's own, everything was going great and then brawl shows up and things go sour. Brawl obviously took a lot of players from Melee (mostly the bad ones, no offense), and by taking those players the good ones also went to brawl tournies to make tons of money. Scheduling conflicts between Melee and Brawl tournies make the good players go to Brawl to make a quick buck, while bad players will go to Brawl where they stand a chance and the players that actually enjoy Melee are left with a tiny tournament. Some players do actually like Brawl more than Melee and I have nothing against them, but Brawl did cause a lot of problems for Melee.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I am one of the other persons to participate in coreygames' tourney.

I am also famous.

I want to see Jack respond to teh_spamerer's reply, ASAP.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Then, put on top of that total a large number of Melee players moving onto Brawl and enjoying the game (Forward, myself, Edrees, tons of people who don't post/don't care) and you have a recipe for Brawl thriving while Melee dimishishes. The Brawl community is building itself and is also recieving the helping hand of some Melee vets who have moved on.
A big reason that Forward played Brawl was because he could win and make money. He's not a particularly wealthy person, so money is important to him. Two weeks ago, Forward, a few other AZ players, and I took a roadtrip down to MAST. Sean was confident that he'd bring home the gold. He ended up losing to a MK and a CGing ICs player, and less than a week later, he completely quit Smash altogether for multiple reasons. One being that he's 21 and needs to move on with life, but he told me that his loss at MAST was a factor in his retirement.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Once again Jack kieser, you are an idiot. The debate is more less dead, leave it alone, it will pass. I even bought brawl cause naturally I wanted to try it out and I knew for a fact none the friends I had would buy it( I was living oos at the time) after I played it, I hated it of course. but again, your an idiot or at least not very smart when it comes to this debate because I've seen your post trying to help it, your always throwing blame at the melee community in way or another. just stop, seriously stop because your one of the only reasons the debate is even still going.

Also yes, brawl is hurting melee... is your op all you wanted to say because im waiting for something important.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
For the record, when I can rides, I'll be attempting to go to both Brawl and Melee tourneys, lol.

EDIT:And I still wanna see his response just because I think teh spammerer killed him, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom