• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Nail: Why Brawl Can't Be Blamed for Melee's Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Thus, Sakurai is to blame.
Well, this was a very productive thread. After 24 pages, we have found the truth.

/thread.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
yeah i know, not their fault....mostly....not everyone could travel around to tournaments to watch in person

its just there are some biases that are unavoidable for instance....like it doesnt matter how good you are, if you play as ness...ppl are not gonna record your matches. ALMOST NEVER ever will another person setup to record matches from a ness player(some othr characters too), so you have to rely on yourself to get recordings and that was not something easy for me. And on top of ppl not being able to travel to BEAT these tournaments in person.....most of the ppl who WERE there were not interested in watching someone using Ness(dont get me wrong, thinking back to every tournament match i've ever had i dont think there was a single one where NO ONE was watching....and even some got some super-sized crowds, but for the most part ppl would elsewhere viewing other matches).

I just really felt like i had to say something in response to the post i quoted
Strange, I would have thought that people would want to record ness matches because they're so rare...

WhoIsMrBlack

Smash Cadet
I sense a lot of bias in the OP. Although you say how petty and pointless the Melee vs. Brawl arguments are, you still seem to emphasise 'Melee's side of the argument' for lack of a better explanation.

WhoIsMrBlack

Smash Cadet
It's not that the old stuff is gone. If I had to spend years to master Brawl I wouldn't care. The problem is that Brawl is not anywhere close to as in depth as Melee.
I think that's what draws more people to Brawl. Most people don't see that 'depth' in Melee as something to play the game for and enjoy, most people see it as something they HAVE to put time and effort into to be able to compete.
Brawl, on the other hand, doesn't require hours of learning and practicing to compete. Since a lot of people don't have those hours to learn and practice (or simply can't be bothered), they move to Brawl so they can still compete and have a chance. Because people generally have more fun when they have more of a chance to win.

So yes, probably the design of the game is what is causing Melee to drop in popularity and Brawl to shoot up.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
melee players are partly to blame, I have no problem with them going to brawl tournies. But if you go to one in place of melee, and then complain about the scene, you're an idiot. Also if someone holds an ambitous melee tournament, players will surely come. The midwest is a testament to this.
Yes, people who no longer go to Melee tournaments but then complain about it are idiots.

And that's all I need to quote from you because that's all I've ever been saying: that Melee tanked because people left it. You think you disagree with me, but you really don't if you're willing to admit this. The extent of your posts in here thus far has been attempts to defer blame, all the while explicitly admitting where the blame should be placed in the first place. They may have left to play Brawl, but Brawl never made them leave, and Brawl, without them, wouldn't have had the numbers necessary to topple Melee on its own.
Oh please.

I call Strawman. I never claimed the Melee scene isn't dying because people are leaving it, I've merely disputed your claims of why they're leaving, who are leaving and what they're doing while playing Brawl.

Also, pray tell. If Brawl didn't make people leave, what did? If there had been no Brawl, a large part of the scene wouldn't have immeadiately left Melee for the shiny and new Brawl, thus leaving Melee to die, thus making people leave the scene and others begrdgngly pllay Brawl.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
*sigh* Yuna, Brawl may have been what people left to, but Brawl didn't make anyone leave Melee. It's semantics (which I know you hate), but its important. Again 'If it never existed...' will always be a terrible argument because it will always be a hypothetical; Brawl does exist, it can't 'never exist' as of now, and so we'll never know for certain what would have happened had it not existed, not to mention the fact that 'if it never existed...' doesn't give us a solution to the problem at hand.

Basically, re-read the thread because I'm too tired to sit here and re-type what I've been saying for the last few pages. In essence, choose better words because the ones you're using are inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom