• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The F-Zero Challenge. (UPDATE)

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
Ugh...

Ok ima try to be positive about this.

THESE ARE THE KIND OF FLAWS I WANTED TO FIND AND FIX!!!

You guys are helping alot by examining this challenge, and finding flaws with it. I know it's hard to do this by my criteria, but I'm sure we can find a common ground!! There's 15 people who want to be part of this so far. I think if you don't want dark sonic in it, because queen knows his style, i'm sure those 15 people can look for another good marth in Florida!! You guys can do your part as well, to make this work!

Edit: Ok I thought of something. Maybe we can change the title to "The F-Zero Challenge: Pt. 1"
Just like placing in a tournament would determine a measure of skill, the winner of this challenge will have to win 2 more times, (with different smashers) to claim the title. Consistence is key!!!

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't care who is in it!!!

I'm just saying that if you think hiroshi and uuaa can't be in because they play you all the time, then technically most of the people I listed shouldn't be in either!!!

Which basically means if you took out everyone whose style is known by a Falcon player participating, you'd have pretty much no one but NFL people that fit the criteria!!!

So I guess I'm saying you can't be so strict with your choices or we could just FALCON DITTO!!!

:colorful:

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
not Allowing Someone Participate Because They Sometime Play With <whoever> Is Bull****, Stupid, And Overcomplicating.

It's not sometimes either, it's ALOT of the time. I played dop at the last gigs, but I don't play REGULARLY against him. I never said someone isn't allowed in because they sometimes play with someone else.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Wait so a Falcon is good if he beats a random smasher that is good that he hasn't played? So how would one pick? Sorry for asking so many questions... ^^;

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
Wait so a Falcon is good if he beats a random smasher that is good that he hasn't played? So how would one pick? Sorry for asking so many questions... ^^;
Winning an big oos tourney means you have skill. You have no idea what to expect from these players, yet you beat them anyway. That means something. I'm trying to do the same thing with this challenge, but I guess i'm being "too strict".

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Winning an big oos tourney means you have skill. You have no idea what to expect from these players, yet you beat them anyway. That means something. I'm trying to do the same thing with this challenge, but I guess i'm being "too strict".
OH I see what you mean. Which WOULD be a challenge. I mean, the person would still have to be really good, but just a new player to play that is good so you have to adjust quickly.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah... Thats my flaw... I talk alot but nothing of importance comes out from my mouth. (I would be the silent person that never talks, but DOES talk, and wishes he never did) I wish I was smarter... ;____________ ;

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm just a childish, silly noob. ;__ ; Which is why I want knowledge.

*zips*

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
THANK you.

FALCON DITTOES FOR ALL!!!

-Kye
C'mon guys...:( Don't just give up and say this won't work. Tell me how to make it better!
I want this to be serious stuff. Let's fight for the title!!
(pls)
If you have an idea on what to do, or a player to put in, give me your suggestion!!

My random smasher candidates so far:

DarkSonic
Hiroshi
Sumo
RockCrock
DRD
Zoro

My Falcon candidates are:

QueenDVS
Polmex
F-Zero
Harriettheguy
Proteus
Laijin
Xyz
Action B.
SynikaL

SynikaL

Smash Lord
I honestly don't have any real suggestions on how to make your ideal criteria better. I think the agenda is flawed in general, hence no criteria would inherently suffice.

If we want to know who the best Falcons are, the only objective measure is consistent tournament placing results with the character. Queen, for example, may very well **** the entire side tournament. But would that make him the best Falcon, or the most talented Smash player out of all the Falcons in general?

If Tipman were down, he could very well win that tournament being a generally talented Smash player, but he hardly plays Falcon seriously. Understand?

Honestly, I really would like to see this be Falcon dittoes. I'm biased towards that idea because it sounds FUN. I don't take this game seriously anymore, I just show up to tourneys every once in a while because competitive Melee is one of my most favorite pastimes ever. But as much as I love Melee, I've always found tournaments boring. Why? Because being in an environment where everyone is perpetually serious about the game (people attempt to abstract something competitive from every match they see or play with you, friendly or not) wears thin on me very quickly.

Having to be involved in another tournament that inflates that pressure? Not so much fun.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a soap box. That's just me.

-Kimo

crispyone

Smash Journeyman
So the characters you have so far are: DarkSonic-Marth, Hiroshi-Sheik, Sumo: who do you play as?, Rock-Ganon/Fox, DRD: who do you play as? Yoshi?, and Zoro-Link/Falco.

If Rock and Zoro want to go Legend of Zelda, then you should find some space animals. What happened to a peach random smasher? Maybe you should cut the number of matches to 2 instead of 3. That's a ton of matches to play one after another especially after looking at how many random smashers there are.

Finch

Smash Lord
It should just be falcon dittos. The random smasher idea makes this seem much more serious than it should be. If you want to beat people that play other characters just enter singles lol.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
ON A SERIOUS NOTE, sumo and DRD should nopt be random smashers. They would just get 2-0'ed by all the falcons and wouldnt accomplish anything. I don't think i have ever seen DRD play, but seeing as i hav never heard of him, i'm pretty sure the other falcons would all 2-0 him. and i know sumo personally, and he will gaurnateed get 2-0'ed by every falcon. lol, carlos is so bad.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
You don't have to main Falcon to have the best Falcon.:p
Right, that's partially my point. But then how does one qualify "best" Falcon? If you asked me, using winning percentages alone as a method of qualification is stifling. That's the current tendency and is difficult to rupture since prevailing competitive attitudes have constructed the ideology that only winning is what matters. This devalues other legitimate points of evaluation such as intricate knowledge of the character, intricate knowledge of matchups, innovation, technical aptitude and more.

People are debating whether or not Mango has a better Falcon than Spectre. Mango is obviously a much better player than Spectre. Would you really say Mango's Falcon is objectively better than Spectre's just because he's recently been placing higher in tournaments with Falcon; while Spectre's been consistently placing high with him forever and who's innovative legacy with the character is much more fruitful?

I'm not saying the answer is clearly Spectre, here. And that's the point.

*edit*

I know this somewhat contradicts what I've posted in response to F Zero before. Forgive me.

-Kimo

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
SYN, you have amazing posts!!! i see your point though. like i just watched vids of the last cali tourney and mango beat spectre in grand finals with falcon. But that might just be because mango is that much better as an overall player. Its hard to say if hes a better falcon or a better player.

-hiro

Zoro

Smash Champion
I never wanted to be a random smasher

i want to show off my falcon!
it was a baby before but now its full grown

Laijin

Smash Hero
Your definitions of mains are all ****ed up in the smash bros world.
This is THE ONLY ****ING GAME IN THE WORLD WHERE YOU HAVE TO PLAY A CHARACTER THROUGHOUT AN ENTIRE TOURNAMENT TO BE CONSIDERED "maining" them".

**** that ****.
You do not have to play a character a lot to "main" them.
You can main whomever the **** you want to main.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
ON A SERIOUS NOTE, sumo and DRD should nopt be random smashers. They would just get 2-0'ed by all the falcons and wouldnt accomplish anything. I don't think i have ever seen DRD play, but seeing as i hav never heard of him, i'm pretty sure the other falcons would all 2-0 him. and i know sumo personally, and he will gaurnateed get 2-0'ed by every falcon. lol, carlos is so bad.
Lol then how will I get better? Just kidding, I'll just go to whatever tournies I can... Sure I'm bad I've only been playing since late 06 LOL and then a little compitively in 07. Also I haven't played your shiek/falco for a while, and I'm pretty sure you'd **** me, but I'm sure I would learn a thing or more. (I thank you for the advice that you give me, helps me to look more outside the box)

Top Bottom