• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Crystal Caves - The Yoshi Social Thread

hamyojo

Smash Ace
http://youtu.be/JrTb40nOTYYnOTYY
Oracle and I teamed as double Yoshi for the fun of it. Ended up doing super well, I really wish all our other sets were recorded, we put in some crazy work (2-0ing Sethlon/Luck)
Idk if Yoshi's that great in teams yet.

Last edited:

NinKenDo64

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi is more floaty in PM. He rises up slightly faster than in Melee, and the turnaround change made it feel even more floaty than 3.02. I've been practicing both, and you have to do PM's version slightly faster compared to Melee's.

I've had trouble vs ZSS since 3.02. She's been a complete ***** since she can run circles around Yoshi.

Maybe I need to play vs some better Zelda's, but I haven't had trouble with them. I'll admit that 3.5 Zelda is weird especially with Din's Fire acting like Rose's Ultra LOL. Really annoying to get used to.

GA hasn't had those more obscure characters though like TL and Luigi. Hopefully I'll get to play a few at Paragon so I can come up with a few ideas of the MU.
If you want Luigi experience definitely hit up DP's Mario. I get plenty of that crap he has to give with that character.

Garr

Smash Apprentice
http://youtu.be/JrTb40nOTYYnOTYY
Oracle and I teamed as double Yoshi for the fun of it. Ended up doing super well, I really wish all our other sets were recorded, we put in some crazy work (2-0ing Sethlon/Luck)
Idk if Yoshi's that great in teams yet.
In my opinion, Yoshi is not good in doubles for the same reason Luigi's not good for doubles. Both characters have mobility options that are hard to predict and you might end up running in your teammate's attacks because he can't follow it, either. I do use Mewtwo for doubles, but I'm very hesitant with my teleporting to avoid Woop-ing into my buddy's forward smash, but he really shines when it comes to edgeguarding.

In doubles, you can't really do all the tricksies you want with Yoshi and tend to play a little slower and more methodical. His best quality as a doubles partner would be as a stock tank. That blasted dinosaur lives for days if you can't gimp him.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
In my opinion, Yoshi is not good in doubles for the same reason Luigi's not good for doubles. Both characters have mobility options that are hard to predict and you might end up running in your teammate's attacks because he can't follow it, either. I do use Mewtwo for doubles, but I'm very hesitant with my teleporting to avoid Woop-ing into my buddy's forward smash, but he really shines when it comes to edgeguarding.

In doubles, you can't really do all the tricksies you want with Yoshi and tend to play a little slower and more methodical. His best quality as a doubles partner would be as a stock tank. That blasted dinosaur lives for days if you can't gimp him.
Yoshi can hit pretty hard, though. I don't know, might try Shiek in teams.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837

Yoshi seemed to work pretty well in doubles when my brother and I played last night at the ATX weekly. The movement thing isn't really an issue since we play so much, we can read almost exactly what the other is going to do. Like hamyojo said, yoshi hits pretty hard and can take advantage of some of the confusion of doubles to hand out a ton of damage. Plus, as you said, yoshis never die. I think it works out pretty well.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Guys, how can you live with Yoshi not having a hop on his up B? Why did PMBR nerf that anyway?
I might sound weird here, but I prefer his egg toss without the hop.

To me that makes his recovery a little too good (I can recover very well from a lot of things as long as I watch out for gimps anyway, and I dislike very easy recovery), and it messes up a lot of my egg setups and mindgames too. Glad I don't play any Yoshi that has egg throw hops.

Last edited:

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Guys, how can you live with Yoshi not having a hop on his up B? Why did PMBR nerf that anyway?
It's not a nerf. The PMDT decided to have it like Melee's egg throw. Also, hops on egg throw would be make his recovery borderline free if you're good with DI. Besides, he doesn't need it, to be honest. You can still use it for ledge cancels and whatnot.

shapular

Smash Ace
It's not a nerf. The PMDT decided to have it like Melee's egg throw. Also, hops on egg throw would be make his recovery borderline free if you're good with DI. Besides, he doesn't need it, to be honest. You can still use it for ledge cancels and whatnot.
His recovery isn't free in Smash 4. I don't see how it would be different.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
His recovery isn't free in Smash 4. I don't see how it would be different.
Note that he said "with good DI" because if you get knocked off and DI so you don't die, you can pretty much always get back with double jump giving height, and then floating across the whole map with 3 up-b hops.

It's pretty free.

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's the 4th or 5th heaviest character in the game, not to mention bearing a Luigi syndrome, having a floaty falling speed and ridiculously fast Nair that combo breaks like nothing. Unless he gets meteor'ed, gimped, or spiked, He can last for almost 200% on Dreamland.

The whole concept behind the 3.5 balance changes was to trim the fat, toning down the characters' options that have been over-centralizing their core gameplay. Having Yoshi with his Up B hops is like giving him Pit's 3.0 recovery, and if you REALLY want them back, go play Smash 4.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
@ Garr Garr your paragon pool http://paragon.challonge.com/orlando_2015_projectm_singles_b2 is super tough.

MrLz is a 12 year old game and watch who plays netplay and is really really good, ****s on me all the time, ****s on @ TomBoComBo TomBoComBo .
Cruz is a Lucario main who may also counterpick samus against yoshi. He's 5-1 in sets against me, having lost the most recent one. He's really good as well and got top 32 at zenith. MrLz beat him in tournament in Hbox's recent tourney.
Crizor is a Charizard main who is also really good but maybe just a step below Cruz.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Have you heard of anyone else? At least character(s) they play? Even though I won't be underestimating anyone, NR is the main one I know can easily take top spot.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman

Garr

Smash Apprentice
@ Garr Garr your paragon pool http://paragon.challonge.com/orlando_2015_projectm_singles_b2 is super tough.

MrLz is a 12 year old game and watch who plays netplay and is really really good, ****s on me all the time, ****s on @ TomBoComBo TomBoComBo .
Cruz is a Lucario main who may also counterpick samus against yoshi. He's 5-1 in sets against me, having lost the most recent one. He's really good as well and got top 32 at zenith. MrLz beat him in tournament in Hbox's recent tourney.
Crizor is a Charizard main who is also really good but maybe just a step below Cruz.
I knew who Cruz was, but thanks for the extra info, dude.

I'll go back and watch sets with Cruz and see if I can spot habits to exploit. To be fair, I'm actually stoked to fight him. I really like the Mewtwo vs. Lucario MU because it's a pokemon battle, plus we punish each other so hard. If I'm really in for a clusterf***, might as well have fun with it in the process.

I'm not too afraid of Charizard, because again, I like fighting that character. Real talk, I'm very unlikely to pull out the Yoshi for this tourney. I'm not feeling very tuned into the character and I want to play Mewtwo to the fullest extent. If they do wreck me in the MU and I'm about to get eliminated, I might bring out the Yoshi. Call it pride, for what matters, but I've been labbing like a mad scientist with Mewtwo, and he has a few underexplored techs that will throw off anyone who's used to his 3.0 version.

And lol, if a 12 year old bodies me, that'll be quite the story to tell XD.

One last thing. @ Mumbo Mumbo , if you're also going to this, we need to Yoshi ditto :p

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
As someone who plays Yoshi in my spare time (thinking about making him a solid secondary/tertiary character in the future) I have one question: Does his subtractive armor disappear during a rising aerial? I'm pretty sure that's the case but I'd like to hear it from those who actually play him.

Scatz

Smash Champion
At any moment you use an aerial, he loses the armor. The armor is only applied during the DJ animation until he pulls his head back up at the apex of his jump.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
I knew who Cruz was, but thanks for the extra info, dude.

I'll go back and watch sets with Cruz and see if I can spot habits to exploit. To be fair, I'm actually stoked to fight him. I really like the Mewtwo vs. Lucario MU because it's a pokemon battle, plus we punish each other so hard. If I'm really in for a clusterf***, might as well have fun with it in the process.

I'm not too afraid of Charizard, because again, I like fighting that character. Real talk, I'm very unlikely to pull out the Yoshi for this tourney. I'm not feeling very tuned into the character and I want to play Mewtwo to the fullest extent. If they do wreck me in the MU and I'm about to get eliminated, I might bring out the Yoshi. Call it pride, for what matters, but I've been labbing like a mad scientist with Mewtwo, and he has a few underexplored techs that will throw off anyone who's used to his 3.0 version.

And lol, if a 12 year old bodies me, that'll be quite the story to tell XD.

One last thing. @ Mumbo Mumbo , if you're also going to this, we need to Yoshi ditto :p
Yes I'm going to paragon and absolutely we will ditto.
For reference, here's my pool: http://paragon.challonge.com/orlando_2015_projectm_singles_d3. The people I need to watch out for are Harriet and Gwabs.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Updated thoughts on the Luigi MU: 50/50.
Luigi wins when ALL of these requirements are met:
Both characters are on the stage
Both characters are below 70%
Deep offstage
Yoshi wins when ANY of these requirements are met:
Either character is above 70%
Close to the stage offstage game
grabs.

Basically, Luigi has crazy low % combos on Yoshi that he can't deal with. Yoshi has dirt on Luigi at just about every other part of the game.

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I made 7th at this tourney: http://challonge.com/extinction3PMS

Got sent to losers by the guy who got 2nd, who lost to Fatality. Then I got eliminated by a Zelda player. I'm downright scared of the MU if I'm using Mewtwo, and I wasn't used to dealing with the new fireball lol. If I had beaten him, I would've had to face Fatality at losers quarters, so either way, I was done XD.

Still, this tourney was a warmup for Paragon, and the results are great. 7th is the furthest I've gotten to in a bracket (because I choke hard and get super nervous >_>). They loved my Mewtwo, and after labbing for so over month without playing anyone, that means a lot. Now I'm feeling super excited about Paragon.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Guys. Advice for ZSS? She's annoying as ****...
Nair eats projectiles
she can't really do much when she's above you
grabs lead into upsmash usually
throwing eggs at her when she's offstage is not a good idea because it'll give her back downb
go offstage against her to rising Nair her if she's below the ledge
you can go deep below the ledge to Nair her tether
Fair also eats projectiles and gives you punish options (when you eat the projectile right as it comes out of the gun it will extend your hitbox and active frames)

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Good news, guys.

Some cables I ordered finally came today and I now have a recording setup for my CRT. Now I can record Smash >:o!

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man. Yeah i was really disappointed that i had scatz round 1 but what can you do. Overall im really proud of my 17th place finish. I got 1st in my pool beating out harriet (a melee player) and gwabs, a diddy player from cfl. I ended up losing to m2k and red1, a link player from my region who i play often and have always had trouble with. I played super spaghetti hands v m2k but i did respectably. Took 2 stocks off him both games and got some pretty sick edgegaurds. That set may have been phone recorded but idk by who.

Also bonus fun fact i played melee v westballz on stream and that **** was super embarassing. I was twice as nervous.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Thanks man. Yeah i was really disappointed that i had scatz round 1 but what can you do. Overall im really proud of my 17th place finish. I got 1st in my pool beating out harriet (a melee player) and gwabs, a diddy player from cfl. I ended up losing to m2k and red1, a link player from my region who i play often and have always had trouble with. I played super spaghetti hands v m2k but i did respectably. Took 2 stocks off him both games and got some pretty sick edgegaurds. That set may have been phone recorded but idk by who.

Also bonus fun fact i played melee v westballz on stream and that **** was super embarassing. I was twice as nervous.
It's okay I played awfully vs Westballz in Melee too. I did 0-death him game 2, though, with Melee Yoshi :3

Scatz

Smash Champion
Thanks. Was good to get the experience being OoS once again. Mumbo was tight when we met. Wish I didn't play so sloppy that set though lol. Got a ton of stuff to work on my game overall, so I'll be in the lab again.

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Shoutout to @ Mumbo Mumbo for making me not hate Yoshi dittoes anymore lol.

But yeah, you were a chill dude. I know I don't take Yoshi as serious as I used to (which explains why I felt rusty XD), but I had fun with you in general.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Shoutout to @ Mumbo Mumbo for making me not hate Yoshi dittoes anymore lol.

But yeah, you were a chill dude. I know I don't take Yoshi as serious as I used to (which explains why I felt rusty XD), but I had fun with you in general.
yeah, for sure man. It was really cool to get to see you and play you. Keep working on that mewtwo though, I hope you find a lot of success with it. My friends in your pool said that you were pretty good too.

Garr

Smash Apprentice
yeah, for sure man. It was really cool to get to see you and play you. Keep working on that mewtwo though, I hope you find a lot of success with it. My friends in your pool said that you were pretty good too.
Tell your friends that means a lot to me. Means I'm doing something good lol. Crizor's probably the most fun I had with in my pool. That dude's a madman with Charizard. Shame I drowned, though. Tough pool, but whatevs, means I should git gud.

I'll DEFINITELY keep working on that Mewtwo. I'm still not 100% sure of how to use him because there isn't much 3.5 footage of him atm, and the few that are there are lackluster, just showing how players are struggling with the nerfs. I'm going by A LOT of unwritten rules, but I'm having way too much fun developing a meta to care.

Yoshi's still fun to play, but you're hands-down better than me at using him, but I left that whole "I wanna be the best Yoshi player ever" mentality a while ago. Message me your skype name (if you have one). ;o

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace

I'll DEFINITELY keep working on that Mewtwo. I'm still not 100% sure of how to use him because there isn't much 3.5 footage of him atm, and the few that are there are lackluster, just showing how players are struggling with the nerfs. I'm going by A LOT of unwritten rules, but I'm having way too much fun developing a meta to care.
If there's no footage or stuff to look at, do what I did and be the pioneer

Last edited:

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Tell your friends that means a lot to me. Means I'm doing something good lol. Crizor's probably the most fun I had with in my pool. That dude's a madman with Charizard. Shame I drowned, though. Tough pool, but whatevs, means I should git gud.

Yoshi's still fun to play, but you're hands-down better than me at using him, but I left that whole "I wanna be the best Yoshi player ever" mentality a while ago. Message me your skype name (if you have one). ;o
Skype = iamxpdr. I show up in the yoshi chat from time to time

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
There's nothing more hype then when i go back to watch my videos and i hear the commentators say "ooh excellent parry by mumbo" even though i only did some glitchy shield thing that didn't even put me in an advantageous position.

Top Bottom