• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete Mario Matchup Thread

Famous

Smash Champion
Wow, a crew battle......I only got ***** because I didn't know the matchup...The very 1st lucas I play turned out to be the best on the EC...

Once I did learn the matchup things turned out completely different...

But yeah, good lucases can be hard to gimp

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Whatever you guys say. As long as I can fight him, I don't care if you guys say 105:-5 Lucas. I still think 55:45 Mario because I don't think a Lucas can hold his ground against us well enough to be even. I was a little overboard with 60:40 and I knew that from the start (mind games XD). Lets change characters if the majority agree on even.

Btw please don't use the reason "Oh this guy lost bad to *insert character here*" and think that proves a point. If you wanna put it like that, then C. Falcon is at least high tier because Ally is a beast with him.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
Wow, a crew battle......I only got ***** because I didn't know the matchup...The very 1st lucas I play turned out to be the best on the EC...

Once I did learn the matchup things turned out completely different...

But yeah, good lucases can be hard to gimp
YOU LIE!!!! lol you played him before that in tourny or something and he beat you :laugh:

the crew battle was the 2nd time you played him

No johns Famous

Clay Cooter motto "Be Better"

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Hey I'm planning to go to Pound 4 and I'll take any $5 low tier money match. Anyone here going? I want to play BOX7. I'm amazed we haven't met up in tourney yet.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Hey I'm planning to go to Pound 4 and I'll take any $5 low tier money match. Anyone here going? I want to play BOX7. I'm amazed we haven't met up in tourney yet.
I'm having trouble traveling atm. But If I'm able to go to pound 4 then that's a match we can have.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
There's probably a slight chance I can go, but if I'm able to I will be there.

EDIT: Since the majority says even, lets go with that unless people have problems. Let's choose another character.

EDIT (again): Kadaj mains Luigi? I thought he was a Marth

Famous

Smash Champion
YOU LIE!!!! lol you played him before that in tourny or something and he beat you :laugh:

the crew battle was the 2nd time you played him

No johns Famous

Clay Cooter motto "Be Better"
Crew battle was the 1st time I played him...or any lucas for that matter...get your facts straight

I tied with him in pools at apex...

And kadaj doesn't main luigi

As for the motto...*** the motto, skill goes out the window in this game if you know how to counterpick

Inferno3044

Smash Master
As much as you guys love to talk smack about Famous, let's get back to the actual discussion. Anybody have useful information to put in or do we want to end it and move on?

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Why not? Ness starts now. I'll start off with what I know since I like using Ness for friendlies.

Ness can be a bit aggressive and he's got some kill power, he can't kill on the ground except with Fsmash which is slow or Bthrow which you should watch out for because I believe it's the strongest Bthrow in the game. On the other hand, his uair and sweetspotted bair will kill and he has the 2nd strongest spike in the game after Ganon. Unlike Lucas, he doesn't have any magnet to get him back on stage nor does he have a tether recovery which makes gimping him very easy if the time comes. His 2nd jump is good, but just hit him out of it. When he uses PKT2 do recover, just FLUDD him and/or the PKT and he will just die. He has at least the same amount of kill power as you, probably better.

Like Lucas, you aren't going to fireball camp for the same reason. Play sort of aggressively. His air game is fast, but yours is faster. It won't be hard to rack up damage on him either. You can kill him without gimps at semi-low percentages. I've done this quite a few times cuz it was wifi and I was being dumb. If you go for him off stage which is a good idea, DO NOT BE BELOW HIM AND DO NOT TRY TO PUNISH PKT WITH ANYTHING BESIDES FLUDD! I've done that quite a few times and I lost for being a ******* and getting hit by his dair spike and PKT2. It's just not worth the risk for either of those. I beat most Ness players around my level, but I will lose to someone like Zucco and Bajisci's Ness is good.

Stage wise, take him to Lylat. It messes up with is recovery making it even easier to gimp and also doesn't help him at all. If he ban's that, go to Yoshi's or FD. BF isn't bad either and maybe RC would be good for us, but I'm not sure. I would probably ban Delfino. It's not my favorite and the water benfits him much more than it does for us. No gimps for us and his spike is much better than ours. I think maybe there's a chance of his dtilt doing quite a bit on us against a wall. In other words, you do better on practically every neutral or at least good.

55:45 Mario.

Should I put down that Lucas is even?

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've already given my bit of info here a few pages back. F.L.U.D.D. will not always gimp Ness, just like most Ness' won't really have a need to use PK Thunder unless they're way out off the stage, which in most cases doesn't happen. And if it does, they usually find themselves above stage level or at stage level. And his d-smash can also kill. I thought I'd let you know. And Lylat Cruise isn't really bad, just annoying. You want to take him to Yoshi's Island.

Matt07

Smash Master
Ness' f-air, is a huge problem in this match-up, I think. I think you might have to play a little more defensively then say Lucas. Ness' has a good grab range, so your going to have to be really picky with your spacing. Also his n-air is a wonderful 'combo/string breaker', and good OoS option too.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I've already given my bit of info here a few pages back. F.L.U.D.D. will not always gimp Ness, just like most Ness' won't really have a need to use PK Thunder unless they're way out off the stage, which in most cases doesn't happen. And if it does, they usually find themselves above stage level or at stage level. And his d-smash can also kill. I thought I'd let you know. And Lylat Cruise isn't really bad, just annoying. You want to take him to Yoshi's Island.
If you don't go for him off stage he wont need PKT. Even a bair or fireball off stage can do it for you. I did not know that Dsmash can kill. Around what percent does it kill Mario at? Honestly I think fighting him on Yoshi's is a bigger advantage for us since we are better there. What stage should we ban against Ness.

Ness' f-air, is a huge problem in this match-up, I think. I think you might have to play a little more defensively then say Lucas. Ness' has a good grab range, so your going to have to be really picky with your spacing. Also his n-air is a wonderful 'combo/string breaker', and good OoS option too.
You're right. Don't play as aggressively, but don't be really campy.

Shahryar2010

Smash Cadet
Hmm perhaps unless Ness is really high unless to land on the stage, Mario should hang on the edge to force Ness to PK thunder then FLUDD him? But other than that Ness will get gimped 70% of the time due to Cape Dash + FLUDD combo.

I would say 55:45, bit closer to 60:40 then 50:50.

Matt07

Smash Master
I'd throw 50:50 for match-up ratio. Don't forget guys Ness can d-air us offstage too. Or a sweet spotted b-air might kill us. We're pretty equal in gimping each other in my opinion, we just have slightly more options offstage to avoid getting gimped, or b-air then Ness.

Uffe

Smash Hero
If you don't go for him off stage he wont need PKT. Even a bair or fireball off stage can do it for you. I did not know that Dsmash can kill. Around what percent does it kill Mario at? Honestly I think fighting him on Yoshi's is a bigger advantage for us since we are better there. What stage should we ban against Ness.

You're right. Don't play as aggressively, but don't be really campy.
I don't know what percent it kills Mario, but it can. And Yoshi's Island would be a better choice. A lot better than Lylat Cruise. You've got tons of stages to ban from Ness. Delfino Plaza, Brinstar, Final Destination (maybe), Pirate Ship, Norfair (if legal). Ness doesn't really have many bad stages, but as a Mario main, you can take advantage of certain stages such as Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Frigate Orpheon, places like that.

Hmm perhaps unless Ness is really high unless to land on the stage, Mario should hang on the edge to force Ness to PK thunder then FLUDD him? But other than that Ness will get gimped 70% of the time due to Cape Dash + FLUDD combo.

I would say 55:45, bit closer to 60:40 then 50:50.
That'll probably only happen if you can get him below stage level. Even then, not many Ness mains try to aim for the edge to grab. I still think this is an even match up. But if you guys disagree, then I'll go with 55:45, Mario. Really quick, I'll throw out that nair, dair, uair, u-smash, all go through Mario's Cape.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Only move that goes through mario's cape is fair because it's disjoint is greater than marios and even then it will trade hits sometimes.
You Cape nair, dair, or uair, the attack can still hit because it's basically going vertical, so it doesn't exactly change direction. The frontal part of Ness' u-smash would be flipped around, making Ness facing the same direction that Mario is facing and the u-smash would than go behind Ness, the same place where Mario is standing. That's why I brought those up. I guess the right way of saying this is that they'd trade hits.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
You Cape nair, dair, or uair, the attack can still hit because it's basically going vertical, so it doesn't exactly change direction. The frontal part of Ness' u-smash would be flipped around, making Ness facing the same direction that Mario is facing and the u-smash would than go behind Ness, the same place where Mario is standing. That's why I brought those up. I guess the right way of saying this is that they'd trade hits.
Your facts about Ness are true. The thing is you move the other way quite a bit when hit by the cape causing you to miss.

EDIT: Uffe your tag is gonna make me dizzy o.0

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
True or not, but this is why l hate theorycraft discussions lol.

just sayin

Uffe

Smash Hero

just sayin
That's pretty much what match up discussions consist of. The first thing I see in a match up discussion vs Ness is "gimp". Frankly I'm a bit tired of reading that every time I see one. It makes me not want to discuss the match up because then that's usually where people only pick at. They don't explain anything else but, "Ness has a back throw, watch out. But we can gimp him." I mean, yeah, it's possible to gimp Ness, but it's not 100% foolproof.

I like it when people say, "Jump into his PK Thunder" when the only time that ever happens is when gimping him that way wasn't intended. I'm not saying that the Mario boards only say this, either. Zelda, Sheik, Lucario, Olimar, Bowser, anywhere. And if it does happen, I don't care how good you are, a smart player won't put their self in that position unless that's the only option they've got. I understand his recover isn't great, but it's also not horrible like a few others I can mention.

Anyway, that's my little rant.

Inferno3044

Smash Master

just sayin
MU's are mostly theory. In a Pikachu discussion you can't say Boss did Bthorw > FLUDD > Cape > Fair and use that. There is some things that happen that are just brilliant like that.

That's pretty much what match up discussions consist of. The first thing I see in a match up discussion vs Ness is "gimp". Frankly I'm a bit tired of reading that every time I see one. It makes me not want to discuss the match up because then that's usually where people only pick at. They don't explain anything else but, "Ness has a back throw, watch out. But we can gimp him." I mean, yeah, it's possible to gimp Ness, but it's not 100% foolproof.

I like it when people say, "Jump into his PK Thunder" when the only time that ever happens is when gimping him that way wasn't intended. I'm not saying that the Mario boards only say this, either. Zelda, Sheik, Lucario, Olimar, Bowser, anywhere. And if it does happen, I don't care how good you are, a smart player won't put their self in that position unless that's the only option they've got. I understand his recover isn't great, but it's also not horrible like a few others I can mention.

Anyway, that's my little rant.
I definitely said some good things about Ness. It's not like "oh Ness is off stage. He's dead." I said we gotta do something like bair or fireball to get you to stay off stage. Then it's a good chance of a gimp due to FLUDD. It's like Ike. You can't just say he will get gimped by us when he's off stage. On the other hand, if we get him in a certain spot with a fully charged FLUDD then chances are he will get gimped. You do have to admit though that Mario having the best edgeguarding/gimping ability out of every character except for MK, we can probably pull it off.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Mario's better watch out in this match-up because PKT2>Fludd.
Don't bother with attempting an fair spike either. For real.
WHOA!! Are you serious? We can FLUDD you and/or PKT to move you and possibly hit the PKT causing you to go into a free fall stage. You know when people use "Oh just run into the PKT and he will fall" and think it'll work? What we do is hit it from a range and if we miss it, we push you away so that you won't be able to hit yourself. Also if you run into the FLUDD with PKT2, you will be in place for a bit able to set up and easy gimp. I'm sorry to say it, but your recovery like Ike, Falco, Fox, and possibly Kirby (too hard to try and too rare to happen) your recovery gets ***** by FLUDD. And seriously, why would we try to fair spike if we have FLUDD?

Btw I love you Kanzaki for putting that up! Good times.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
FLUDD ***** PKT2 for real. FIHL is SERIOUS BUSINESS here.

But anyhow Mario has advantage this matchup just because you have more/better spacing options. Mario is faster and Ness unfortunately really doesn't have any real range advantage to compensate for this (he's a little more disjointed, but if Mario spaces well, Ness is going to trade hits in the best case scenario) Ness does have one more reliable KO move in the name of B-throw though, but when it comes to consistent damage dealing, Mario is overall better at this. KOing Ness isn't unreasonably hard when you can outrange his stuff with F-smash or gimp him in many different ways.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Cape outranges the majority of Ness' moveset, including Fair if you have proper spacing...it's just slow as hell and hard to followup so Fair is still our main problem for the matchup.

Fludd doesn't always beat Ness offstage, same goes for everyone else. Maneuver yourself around to limit his options and either Fludd, cape, nair...whatever the situation calls for. Bottom line is that offstage is pretty bad for Ness in this matchup.

As for KO power, it's rather close...close enough that I refuse to be bothered with it.

Forgive me, I'm sick. This is a horrible write-up. I'll do better next time T_T

Famous, we need to play. I'm gonna msg you sometime today.

NNID
LilG912
Mario totally ***** Ness, Ness don't have a lot of options like Mario in this matchup. Once we throw Ness off-stage, we got 4 options, spam fireballs, use the FLUDD of Truth, cape, or edgeguard him. It's not hard to kill Ness than Lucas. Mario and Ness can't juggle each other, they will always break each other aerials cuz it's feels like a Mario vs Luigi, breaking aerials 24/7 but anyways Ness got the advantage in aerial game a lil bit than Mario, the ground game goes to Mario. 55/45 Mario like always not 50/50, not even.

Top Bottom