• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chaingrab Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
I dunno if this has been found yet but Falco's U-Throw is a very good finisher for Falco's D-Throw Chaingrab and it is also an awesome Mindgame :)
You can also finish it a with a spike if you jump very quickly after the U-throw.

You can use this to Mix your game up and don't get too predictable with always doing D-Throw to Spike.

D-Throw to ledge > U-throw > Spike :D

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
I dunno if this has been found yet but Falco's U-Throw is a very good finisher for Falco's D-Throw Chaingrab and it is also an awesome Mindgame :)
You can also finish it a with a spike if you jump very quickly after the U-throw.

You can use this to Mix your game up and don't get too predictable with always doing D-Throw to Spike.

D-Throw to ledge > U-throw > Spike :D
why would you need to though, if the end result is a spike anyways? the dthrow off the ledge->dash, sh, dair is a (almost? has this been tested?) spike. so, no point to uthrow because then it isn't guaranteed.
if you want to mix things up, consider jumping off the edge about the dthrow and not spiking them, just make it look like you are, they will probably airdodge and go below the stage. at this point you can gimp/ledgehog their recovery. this only works on characters with poor recovery though, it won't work on snake, ROB, MK, jiggs, etc.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
why would you need to though, if the end result is a spike anyways? the dthrow off the ledge->dash, sh, dair is a (almost? has this been tested?) spike. so, no point to uthrow because then it isn't guaranteed.
if you want to mix things up, consider jumping off the edge about the dthrow and not spiking them, just make it look like you are, they will probably airdodge and go below the stage. at this point you can gimp/ledgehog their recovery. this only works on characters with poor recovery though, it won't work on snake, ROB, MK, jiggs, etc.
Well my friend uses DK and Ike so everytime I do this he can't scape it, I tested it with him, he tried to airdodge, fastfall , DI , jump but he didn't managed to scape the Dair after the U-throw.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
I don't know maybe to mindgame a bit?
lol @ the use of "mindgame".
seriously though, im not calling you a scrub or anything offensive, but why the **** would you mindgame when you already have a 0-death on the character. sure, you can "mindgame" before you get the first grab in by not being predictable, reacting to the opponent so you can grab him, but once you have him in the chain, what's the point of going for something more risky? in friendlies it's okay for more flair i guess, but seems kinda useless honestly.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
lol @ the use of "mindgame".
seriously though, im not calling you a scrub or anything offensive, but why the **** would you mindgame when you already have a 0-death on the character. sure, you can "mindgame" before you get the first grab in by not being predictable, reacting to the opponent so you can grab him, but once you have him in the chain, what's the point of going for something more risky? in friendlies it's okay for more flair i guess, but seems kinda useless honestly.
Yeah I though that too lulz, Anyway I was just telling.

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
how can the chaingrab be avoided with pit for example? cause i try to tap A repeatdley and it SOMETIME works bu thats mostly when my opponent has its timing-off.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
how can the chaingrab be avoided with pit for example? cause i try to tap A repeatdley and it SOMETIME works bu thats mostly when my opponent has its timing-off.
er it can't. that's why it's called a CHAINGRAB. it's only escapeable after 45% or til the edge.

Low Rider1717

Smash Cadet
I found that Boozer can get out of it fairly early with the whirling forretress
il post a vid up when i can
also i think Dk can with the spining kong

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
I found that Boozer can get out of it fairly early with the whirling forretress
il post a vid up when i can
also i think Dk can with the spining kong
DK cannot.

im not sure about bowser though i don't know enough about him.
but what's a "whirling forretress"?

Low Rider1717

Smash Cadet
I disagree
I have actually pulled it off a few consecutive times
but meh i still gotta prove it
Il post a vid up soon
unless some1 proves me wrong lol

Vlade

Social Outcast
Yeah no point with the standing chaingrab, unless you're already close to the edge. In that instance, just reverse boost pivot grab. The dthrow walking chaingrab > standing CG.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I disagree
I have actually pulled it off a few consecutive times
but meh i still gotta prove it
Il post a vid up soon
unless some1 proves me wrong lol
I've broken out of the CG several times with the Falco Phantasm, doesn't mean that he can break out 100%. If the Falco messes up, then yeah I'm sure Bowser's upB will work, but no Bowser's broken out of mine.

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
my only problem wiff da chain grab is da piviot grab. Is there any ''easier'' way to do it. Every time i do it its either falco doesn't slide far or falco juss doesn't slide xD

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
my only problem wiff da chain grab is da piviot grab. Is there any ''easier'' way to do it. Every time i do it its either falco doesn't slide far or falco juss doesn't slide xD
There's no easy way, just practice and learn. Go to training mode and try it out someone that can be CG'd, and learn it, then repeat as many times until you can get it 10-20 times in a row. Save stuff like this for the Q&A thread next time though.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203463

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried Falco's chain-grab WITHOUT movement? I'm sometime able to double chain-grab without movement, on -I think- the third grab, the ending result. Is a chain-grab that ends up with about (If not exactly.) 53% before a finishing spike. Of course I've been able to sometimes get in two without movement.

This is against my brother, yes he knows how to get out of chain grabs - We've played more than 200, Falco vs Link matches. He normally is able to get out at 33%

§witch

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried Falco's chain-grab WITHOUT movement? I'm sometime able to double chain-grab without movement, on -I think- the third grab, the ending result. Is a chain-grab that ends up with about (If not exactly.) 53% before a finishing spike. Of course I've been able to sometimes get in two without movement.

This is against my brother, yes he knows how to get out of chain grabs - We've played more than 200, Falco vs Link matches. He normally is able to get out at 33%
Yeah, it's possible on really fastfallers.

Denzi

Smash Master
Yes,

But standing = not moving which = not getting closer to the ledge which = not getting closer to the offstage spike which = less than great.
I hope that explained it.

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
Yes but sometimes you're to close to the edge = not enough damage = pointless pike = less than great

Catch my drift? :)

By the way, nice Icon, where's it from?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
can you add the bombs of toon link and link to counters? i dont know if this has been mentioned before, just noticing that its not there

Denzi

Smash Master
can you add the bombs of toon link and link to counters? i dont know if this has been mentioned before, just noticing that its not there
They're only counters if you grab thenm while they're holding one (at which point it's your fault).

A lot of Links will actually bomb themselves (pull bomb -> throw down) just to avoid getting zero - deathed. Snakes used to do it too (Sheild-dropped nade (x2) -> C4) before C4 jumping was really used, but they don't so much now.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
They're only counters if you grab thenm while they're holding one (at which point it's your fault).

A lot of Links will actually bomb themselves (pull bomb -> throw down) just to avoid getting zero - deathed. Snakes used to do it too (Sheild-dropped nade (x2) -> C4) before C4 jumping was really used, but they don't so much now.
its only a counter when they hold em? thats not a valid argument. upB from marth is only a counter if they use it.

Denzi

Smash Master
its only a counter when they hold em? thats not a valid argument. upB from marth is only a counter if they use it.
Not a valid comparison. Marth's UpB can be used at any time, while Link and TLink actually have to pull a bomb before You grab them for it to allow them to escape.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
When I use Marth on Falco, I tend to avoid upBing during the CG unless I'm near the edge. Better get punished on the ground than spiked to death. Most Falcos will do dthrow to gatling though. Wait... why the hell did I post this? Lol @ random thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom