• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chaingrab Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

shal

Smash Apprentice
sheik? its like almost impossible with her unless your really skilled.. even then a lot of characters are floaty.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I wonder if Falco can get out of the chaingrab with his Shine... Does anybody know ?

Same for Bowser and DK with their Up B.
I highly doubt falco would be able to shine out of it, since it doesn't activate on frame 1 anymore.

Tested DK, he CANNOT upB out.

Timing the chaingrab against marth is reeaally hard :( We might be better off just baiting his upB and then just punishing.

I tried the walking chaingrab against a jiggs, and i was able to get 3 total grabs at 0% (first throw, running regrab, walking regrab). I don't think a fourth is possible. Could use more testing.

I still haven't gotten any %s though, lol.

Edit: Oh, and I think my matches against 3000's sonic didn't actually get recorded after all :(

Ulevo

Smash Master
The only character Falco cannot CG from a WALKING CG is Jigglypuff. Period. And even then, Jiggly can only escape via Rest. Me and my friend tested these numerous times. Some characters can escape early (i.e. Marth's Dolphin Slash, Peach's Peach Bomber, Lucario's Double Team, Yoshi's Eggs, et cetera), but all characters aside from Jiggs can be re-grabbed twice. Although, it's kind of pointless to note, since no one is going to Rest in front of a Falco.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Twice... Is that a real Chaingrab ? :/ Samus by example, she can't be grabbed more than 2 times i believe...
If a character is grabbed twice or more, it is regarded as a Chain Grab. It doesn't matter how useful or damaging it is or isn't. I admit that some are not extremely useful, but it is still nice to take note of them in case you happen to land a grab from 0%. Every percent counts. And I think Samus can be grabbed three times, but my memory might be off a bit.

And Falco's shine is not a good method for escaping CGs. It comes out too slow. Falco is best trying to Footstool, land a Standard A, or simply Spotdodge/DI and Air Dodge.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I would surely test things out for you, too bad that I don't have the game yet (June 24th yay). But I think this is a really good thing 'cause this also creates a lot of potential discussion points.

Oh and just a minor detail, you put Yoshi's sprite on Wolf.

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
as i said before, pika can get out at 30%, and rob can get out immediately, but no update.

Blad01

Smash Lord
as i said before, pika can get out at 30%, and rob can get out immediately, but no update.
Did you test walking grab or running grab . It seems that the walking grab works better, and accroding to Ulevo, Falco can grab everybody twice (ROB included).

I update, but i would like some precisions ;)

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Very nice stuff here, but about the Icys. If both icys are there, then it is impossible? However if there is only Popo...

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
So, um...hate to break this out, but the %s and # of grabs on the front page aren't completely correct.

Since all the testing you did was in training mode, Blad01, it doesn't take into account the diminishing effect.

For example, the front page says you can only dthrow snake 5 times without him being able to DI out. However, check out 2:03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpZK80maBMY...on top of hitting t-rex with a laser and with a grab attack, I still dthrow him 6 times without him getting out.

Further testing against a lvl 9 cpu (in group mode) shows that starting dthrows at 0%, falco can dthrow snake EIGHT times without snake being able to DI/airdodge out. If you so much as laser/tap him, though, it goes down to 7.

(Also, to anyone who would question lvl9's not being good test subjects: am I the only one whos noticed that at a percent that a char could DI/airdodge out of the chaingrab, they get put into a different animation from the dthrow? Rather than just kinda sliding backwards they have more of an "aargh" motion.)

Icantlos

Smash Rookie
I don't know if people have taken this into account or not, but I'm pretty sure that performing a boost grab will allow Falco at least 1 more grab in the chain against some characters.

Z-Brawler

Smash Rookie
Why is it that Falco can chaingrab with such noob skills yet IC cant do it unless u r pro.

fark

Smash Apprentice
i have yet to chain grab a charizard after 26%
they almost always jum out of it

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Great thread, thanks for creating it Blad.

I have no definitive info, but I have chaingrabbed my G&W friend for quite a bit. Probably just bad DI though.

Also, a note on organization. I might change it up a bit and put them in alphabetical order. ;)

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hum, i'm thinking to include a walking grab / Running grab choice... Just because some characters can't get grabbed by walking grab, or conversely.

xsonicx_13

Smash Cadet
nice video i have done the chaingrab then spike but it was on kirby so he got back on

CHXN

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this was brought up, but it's possible to chaingrab in a single spot. I still have to test it out on other characters though, but I did it a few times against my brother's luigi.
I could only chaingrab him in a single spot once though before he could break out.

I'll see if I can get a video up.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Not sure if this was brought up, but it's possible to chaingrab in a single spot. I still have to test it out on other characters though, but I did it a few times against my brother's luigi.
I could only chaingrab him in a single spot once though before he could break out.
You mean, without moving ? Yes that's possible, against a few chars (Wolf / Fox come to my mind)

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this was mentioned, but a friend used marth's dancing blades on me from the first chaingrab and "escaped" after 1. I took damage, but could grab him again. Maybe i just suck, someone might wanna test it out.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
I personally use walking chaingrab since I know I won't trip when doing it. :)

This list looks really nice and useful. Remember that in VS Mode the knockback of the throw decays because you are spamming it, meaning that if you catch the opponent on low % and get a few throws, then you could probably chain him a little bit more than what the list says. Kinda obvious but just wanted to point it out.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Um,when chain grabbing to a dair spike,is it easier to do the dair with the C-stick or hitting down A?

I'm working on Falco and am having trouble landing the dair. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Um,when chain grabbing to a dair spike,is it easier to do the dair with the C-stick or hitting down A?

I'm working on Falco and am having trouble landing the dair. Any help would be greatly appeciated.
I'd like to tell you there is a definitive answer to that, but there isn't. It's really whatever is more comfortable for you. I use the A button, and I can't imagine doing it with the c-stick, so for me its a no brainer: grab-->d-throw-->X-->d-air (using A)

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace

I find it easier and quicker to do all aerials with the C-stick. Not to mention it doesn't affect my DI all that much. Thus, when I do a dair I'm not making myself fast fall. Or I could do an F-air moving backwards or a B-air moving forwards more easily.

---

Zelda escapes the chaingrab really quickly. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to chaingrab her as it is with Peach. A lot of times my friend would break out after the second one. I suspect he could breakout the first one, he just doesn't react soon enough.

However, on a positive note, Zelda can't be chaingrabbed because she bounces too high and is really floaty. However, she doesn't bounce very far away so it is still very easy to follow up with an aerial or a running Usmash. I prefer the Usmash as an aerial is likely to get pwned by a lightning kick.

~Switch

Smash Rookie
I find it easier and quicker to do all aerials with the C-stick. Not to mention it doesn't affect my DI all that much. Thus, when I do a dair I'm not making myself fast fall. Or I could do an F-air moving backwards or a B-air moving forwards more easily.

---

Zelda escapes the chaingrab really quickly. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to chaingrab her as it is with Peach. A lot of times my friend would break out after the second one. I suspect he could breakout the first one, he just doesn't react soon enough.

However, on a positive note, Zelda can't be chaingrabbed because she bounces too high and is really floaty. However, she doesn't bounce very far away so it is still very easy to follow up with an aerial or a running Usmash. I prefer the Usmash as an aerial is likely to get pwned by a lightning kick.
Well, fast falling isn't a problem since you're doing a SH dair, as for me, I use the A button, just slide my thumb from Y to A.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
If I may add something to the thread, I am a Luigi main and I believe that the information you have here on chaingrabbing him is incorrect. Every time I face a Falco and he tries to chaingrab me from 0% for example I just DI away from falco and follow it with a jump. That enables me to escape the chaingrab. I don't know but I think more research needs to be done on Luigi.

I might be wrong but I mean every time a falco has tried to chaingrab me I escape.

Just saying and pointing a fact here.

I hope I could have helped and if I'm wrong sorry :dizzy:

Niko_K

Smash Master
Why is Peach's Down B (Turnip Pull) listed as a counter to the chain grab, that doesn't make too much sense to me.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
you should be able to acheive more chain grabs if you utilize buffered sheild grabs. I tested it on a friend DI'ing with DDD.

while using the down throw dash forwar/hold forward into Z grab, i was able to chain grab DDD up to 60% even with him doing everything to get out of it.

While using a Sheild grab instead of the Z button in the same technique. i was able to chain grab DDD up to 120% and he was unable to escape with DI and anything else that he tried.

Also, i know it is possible to chain grab Donkey kong in place up to a pretty high percent just by holding the directional stick forward and grabbing after a down throw.

just thought i would share out test results.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
I'm pretty sure Kirby can be CG'd at least twice, while the OP says it's impossible. Might want to look into that.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
well you could just try it. execute the same changrab you normally do with falco, except use Sheild grab instead of Z to grab.

if you dont beleive me, i could care less, I'm just trying to help a falco out =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom