• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I actually think the Ganon Matchup is better than the Ditto.

Also, I remember a thread claiming that Falcon has advantage over PokeTrainer, but I don't remember what all it said to back it up.
I'd love to see the thread, because I'd have to read it to believe it.
I do pretty well against PTs, but I'm going to be a jerk and just say it's because I'm amazing. I still can't see Falcon having an advantage over them. Maybe Squirtle... possibly Charizard.... but not Ivysaur.

Roager

Smash Ace
@TalkingBeatles:

"Captain falcon vs Pokemon trainer: Falcon's advantage - indepth" was the title, I searched "Captain Falcon's advantage Pokemon Trainer" and it's the only one. I'm still not gonna read it, cuz I don't really care, but it's there if you want to take a look.

EDIT: Probably should have mentioned this, I used the advanced search and searched title only, but it should still work even if you don't.

Player-3

Smash Hero
it was because peoplew ere saying falcon had the advantage because of grab release chaingrab on squirtle and grab release uai on ivy

AKA
stupid

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know if Falcon has a slight advantage over Wario? It would kind of make sense since they have similar strength, but Captain Falcon has more range, runs faster, and can only kinda be chain thrown. But then again, Wario has faster attack speed right?

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if Falcon has a slight advantage over Wario? It would kind of make sense since they have similar strength, but Captain Falcon has more range, runs faster, and can only kinda be chain thrown. But then again, Wario has faster attack speed right?
falcon doesn't have the advantage but the match up isn't that bad. especially since falcon can grab release to knee on wario.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering what is the best way of approaching from the edge?
Usually my opponents (I will use battlefield as an example) stand on the circles while Im hanging from the edge but they always seem to catch me on my when getting back to the stage.
Should I ...
A)N-air back on to the stage
B)F-Air back to the stage
C)Drop down then jump on the stage
D)U-air on the stage
E)Air dodge back to the stage
F)Roll to the stage
G)Jump (Y button while hanging on the edge)

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering what is the best way of approaching from the edge?
Usually my opponents (I will use battlefield as an example) stand on the circles while Im hanging from the edge but they always seem to catch me on my when getting back to the stage.
Should I ...
A)N-air back on to the stage
B)F-Air back to the stage
C)Drop down then jump on the stage
D)U-air on the stage
E)Air dodge back to the stage
F)Roll to the stage
G)Jump (Y button while hanging on the edge)

Also I was wondering is there anyway to edgeguard without jump off the stage and knee to U-air combo.
I was thinking like just U-tilting the edge or D ilt something like that. (I know it's not melee but just wondering if you could.)

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
*double post ^^^

you can try the lethal... forsaken recovery. or you can drop down and b-up on ure opponent. the b-up doesnt grab the ledge if you have the right timing.

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
i just figured out that if mario capes captain falcon twice while he is turning during the falcon punch, captain falcon does a super slide while punching, is this known?

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I've got a friend that is just brilliant at this game, and getting back on the stage from the ledge is one of the hardest things to do for me. Forget about getting actually getting to that stage. He makes it tough.

Falcon really has bad options for getting back on stage. fair can be shield grabbed and you can't AC it from the ledge. nair has no priority and will get shield grabbed. If they space right, a roll can just give them a kill. See: roll into fsmash. If they predict your jump, they'll punish that even more easily.

What you're going to have to do is mix it up. Ledge camp a little, try to bait them. If they come close to the ledge, you can sweet spot the knee if they're close enough, (and dumb enough), more then likely you'll be able to Falcon Dive them for the "HYES!". Uair works as does the nipple hit of dair. Sometime a good ole fashioned hit-getup from the ledge will catch them. That's harder to punish then rolling or jumping for a lot of people. Don't rely on the mock waveland with raptor boost. If they can space the rolls, they can space that, and you'll get killed.

Just some more reasons why Falcon is bottom tier, I guess.

Player-3

Smash Hero
aaaaaaaaaaah

why you *****es forgetting about ledgedrop walljumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

also

MANGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
this is from my experience, here some tips

sonic is fast and tricky. jabs stop a lot of sonic's approaches so i suggest you use it an awful lot. i'd say the best way to play sonic is to be defensive so avoid appraoching. you probably should avoid laggy moves cause sonic can easily punish you. well general knowledge but just in case you don't know, never roll back or behind a sonic cause you'll get punished by dsmash, probably. don't try to edgehog either cause you'll probably get stage spiked with fair

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Being honest, how many of you try to go for kills when your opponent is within kill %'s? Or do you keep racking damage and let the kill come naturally?

I do the latter. <_< Although I sometimes won't get kills until my opponent is over 200%..

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I go for the kill. I use uair, bair, and dsmash. I'll try and throw out I well timed fsmash sometimes.
Oh... and I'm always throwing out Knees. Sweetspotted or no. AC'd knees are your friends.

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
Thank you Noodlehead

@Susa: As for Falcon's killing method, I would go for the kill if the character can be gimp'd. If not, I'll just rack up damage and let it come naturally.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
I go for the kill. I use uair, bair, and dsmash. I'll try and throw out I well timed fsmash sometimes.
Oh... and I'm always throwing out Knees. Sweetspotted or no. AC'd knees are your friends.
utilt! it's a great killer especially if you both are near the edge of the stage.
nair>utilt is a good way to set it up

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Pssshhh... oh yeah. I completely forgot. I kill with uptilt all the time. That move rocks. I actually got a friend of mine saying at one point, "that uptilt is ridiculous."

I never thought I'd live the day to hear someone call one of Falcons' moves "ridiculous," in a way that didn't connote extreme negativity.

Whoo! Go uptilt!

Player-3

Smash Hero
imo if their at killing percents stop using uair to confuse them

then kill them with it

youd be surprised how little people know that it can kill

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
its actually got me into maining captain falcon in the first place. i was playing random and i acidently did uptilt and the opponent went flying off the screen! those were the days

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I personally use rapid-fire jab to shut down low priority approaches.

i.e. - Falcon Kick, Link's Arrows, Luigi's Cyclone, and other moves.

It's all in preference and playstyle. The Utilt should be Cpt. Falcon's most utitilized move, IMO. It's one of his best spacing options, and is a good kill on stages with short horizontal blast zones, like Battlefield. You can score at minimum a 95% KO with it.

Your thoughts on Utilt and Rapid-fire Jab. I want other opinions.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Keep in mind, that's if they don't DI.
Luigi's cyclone is hard to deal with. I generally try to dtilt it.

And slader,
the only time I really ever ftilt is by accident. I'm not a fan.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
i think there is a way to cancel falcon kick's lag into a roll out animation while kicking toward the stage. similar to ganon's roll out animation. when you stand near the ledge with one foot off the stage with ganon you can create a roll out animation. you can buffer a jump during the roll out animation. i didn't think this was possible with falcon but i somehow did it with falcon. this is kicking toward the stage not off. this could be useful, it makes falcon kick harder to punish and can setup combos

edit: you do not go off stage nor does it involve platforms

Kishin

Smash Ace
I somehow made Falcon do a super jump in midair like Ganon after being hit by either pikachu's down-b, F-smash, or neutral b. I just remembered a lightning sound and saw the super jump. Nothing too helpful but good to keep note of.

Top Bottom