• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I think it's about time the falcon metagame shift towards a side with more full hop aerial approaches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHFf44bwuoQ&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2nOO0Dcxbg&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5I_QQ5Tsdg&feature=channel_page

It's wi-fi, so both players aren't at their prime, yeah, but you can still see all the mindgames and the effectiveness of full hops for falcon.
Naw, the DK was just a slow learner. He kept forgetting Falcon can second jump. If he had anticipated those properly, the games would have gone differently.

Kishin

Smash Ace
It's a mind game, it works. He had anticipated a few times but got a knee anyways. Full hopping aerials is a lot safer and has more potential for mind games.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
It's a mind game, it works. He had anticipated a few times but got a knee anyways. Full hopping aerials is a lot safer and has more potential for mind games.
Nope, WiFi; some of DK's shield->punishes are coming out too late (after Falcon has second jumped already) and ones he gets the attack out on time he doesn't shield again afterwards when they miss. Shield beats full hop approaches badly. Sure you might mindgame a Knee or BAir now and then, but overall you'll get *****.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Has anyone practiced the Falcon Super Jump? It seems to have been disregarded as useless because he doesn't jump as high as a Full hop (unlike Ganon's), but I was wondering about its applications for avoiding landing lag, both for Falcon Kick (maybe even a combo using the super jump instead of ledge cancel to cancel the ending lag) and for getting back on the stage when you've up-B'd / side-B'd to the ledge, or anywhere else you can cancel lag with it (similar to the infinity jump I suppose).

Kishin

Smash Ace
Full hop approaches are flexible. Fast falling and grab beats a shield. If you full hop toward someone down on the ground who didn't tech a full hopped approach is incredibly safe if you just watch for the reaction. It's something falcons should do a lot more often I think. And Stroumbert has an incredible falcon. Watching a video is nothing compared to actually playing him where you can face palm yourself for getting mindgamed knee after knee after up+b.

Also, I think Falcons should actually start using F-tilt and not completely ignoring it. F-tilt has good range and is decently fast. You can use it to punish at least but it should not be completely ignored.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Does anyone Gentlemen? I know the knee section of his A combo has lost some severe knockback, since Melee, but does anyone cancel it, for possible mindgames, and damage racking?

Does anyone apply his Rapid Jab, which is simply holding A? Simple stuff like this, will improve a Falcon mainers game, immensly, especially if you know it's uses and priority.

I know I do use all that I've just asked about, but I want to know if any of the other Falcon mainers do it.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242903
dont post "lol metakinght" , i got owned with infraction points XD . pro ban please
MK, is probably the reason you main Captain Falcon, and after he's banned, Snake will be the reason... see what I did thar?

Banning MK will solve nothing, because then you'll complain about how cheap Snake is, for having an overpowered tilt set. I'm against banning MK because he's supposed to be that good, and it's simply challenging to face a good one. If you ban MK, I say ban infinites, cgs, and anything else you consider to be cheap, including 0-deaths.

Have a good day, sir.

UberMario

Smash Master
When is a good time to Dair someone off stage? I tend to end up kamikazing . . . . .

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Auto cancel those dairs, man. Everything should be fine. Also, it's a risky thing to do anyway. You're better off nairing, or uairing. Or try and hit him with your nipple.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
lol nipple, nice. i often try to dair, it always feels nice to send them plummeting off screen. the main mistake i make is thinking i still had my second jump and just fall to my death >_>

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Auto cancel those dairs, man. Everything should be fine. Also, it's a risky thing to do anyway. You're better off nairing, or uairing. Or try and hit him with your nipple.
SH Dair approach is legit. Not so much to hit the oponent with falcons Dair, but to get close(r) to the opponent, and to lure out a respondse and then buffer jabs, for example, to punish the opponent and to set up for possible follow ups. (lure out+punishing wise for example).

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
MK, is probably the reason you main Captain Falcon, and after he's banned, Snake will be the reason... see what I did thar?

Banning MK will solve nothing, because then you'll complain about how cheap Snake is, for having an overpowered tilt set. I'm against banning MK because he's supposed to be that good, and it's simply challenging to face a good one. If you ban MK, I say ban infinites, cgs, and anything else you consider to be cheap, including 0-deaths.

Have a good day, sir.
theres a difference between those two snake is good , mk is broken.

Zeallyx

theres a difference between those two snake is good , mk is broken.
Snakes tilts and near endless potential due to his arsenal of projectiles and bombs + his C4 recovery say hi.

If MK is broken, than snake sure as heck isnt far from beeing broken as well.

I say snakes tilts are broken.
And they alone break snake.

And then he has his arsenal on top of that, and a mad legit recovery..

Now that I C this all summed up..

I say snakes broken.

pretty darn broken.

But no johns. :falcon:

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
rude unappropriate things

EDIT: sorry for being rude, I thought you are one of the silly people you cant even talk with because of their silliness :) but you arent one of them, sorry.

Zeallyx

rude unappropriate things

EDIT: sorry for being rude, I thought you are one of the silly people you cant even talk with because of their silliness :) but you arent one of them, sorry.
I cant help but beeing curious about what exactly you edited out of the post I quote in this post =P

Player-3

Smash Hero
snake is broken

metaknight is broken

in different ways

although snake is too good
i make 3 stock comebacks with ftilt
and i kill with SOURSPOT FAIR
**** UTILT

SOURSPOT FORWARD AIR
MOTHER ****ERS

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I have a question, what move do you Falcon mains have most trouble with? Do you have trouble landing sweet-spotted Fairs?

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
I cant help but beeing curious about what exactly you edited out of the post I quote in this post =P
Lets just say there were many asterisks (*). :bee:

I have a question, what move do you Falcon mains have most trouble with? Do you have trouble landing sweet-spotted Fairs?
I think it is approaching. I luckily don´t have much trouble with it, as I always played only my brother and I can read him fairly well, so I can both approach and land sweet knees pretty well. Although it got a little harder when he really began to shield. :D

for approaches, I never see jump-immideiate jump -> FF airdodge/FF aerial, is there reason why? :)

EDIT:
Player3: CHUCK NORRIS DOES NOT APPROVE (yes, this bloody red)

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
Snake's the broken one.
You have NO FREAKING ARGUMENTS whatsoever so I propose this post to be deleted/edited/you apologized/you back upped this nonsense. best would be all.
if you havent got it yet.. that was joke -_-

but not so much you shouldnt do it

i dont think he's being sarcastic at all, now that he's pointed out that perspective of the MK hating. it has opened my eyes to think that he's right.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL (ahem.. had to say it.)
He isn´t the guy "who is just the best" lol because there is no counterpick system he could break in real world. But in brawl, there is. People should begin to t..hink... themselves....
Instead of ... eh.. obey what... they think "sounds more right"... No offense..
What is infraction in these forums?

Zeallyx

You have NO FREAKING ARGUMENTS whatsoever so I propose this post to be deleted/edited/you apologized/you back upped this nonsense. best would be all.
if you havent got it yet.. that was joke -_-

but not so much you shouldnt do it

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL (ahem.. had to say it.)
He isn´t the guy "who is just the best" lol because there is no counterpick system he could break in real world. But in brawl, there is. People should begin to t..hink... themselves....
Instead of ... eh.. obey what... they think "sounds more right"... No offense..
What is infraction in these forums?
Dude, get your face out of your B-hind.
Your opinion =/= fact.

Its a discussion for a reason.
You should apologize. Twice.

Once for your face2buttness
And another time for posting in visable black.

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
Can you guys please take this argument to the MK ban debate thingy. Snake, MKs, and broken/high priority attacks have nothing to do with Falcon (lol 4sum reason)

Okay now, can someone tell me how to auto cancel a short hop d-air? Also, is it true that the Falcon Kick could go through MK's Drill rush and Mach Tornado?

Player-3

Smash Hero
yes fk can

to auto cancel, hold down on the control stick, and slide your finger from Y to A is the easiest way without tap jump, with tap jump you can simply tap up on the control stick and down on the c stick

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
FK can only if it's fresh, so don't use it too often (obvious advice is obvious).

Now I got a question : how do you deal with an opponent that camps under a platform, like on BF or YI.
Most of the time I try to go for a Bair or a falling Uair (because I don't know how to approach when I'm on the ground) and even if it's the safest option to my eyes it's easily avoided by the opponent who can counter attack if the character has a better range than falcon (aka everyone).

So is it a "never approach" situation or is there anything that can be done about it ?

Player-3

Smash Hero
aim for the ledge if possible, gives you much more options

including WALL JUMP on some stages

if you dont think it safe to reach the edge, try to bait an attack, then dj away and land while their in cooldown

unless its mk

then your ****ed

kamimari36

Smash Apprentice
HI FALCON BOARD! I haven't been around regularly, so I might be late on this, but....
As everyone should know, Falcon has an air release cg on MK.

I was testing this out earlier, but since I only did this in training mode (better than wifi still) im not sure if my sisters' reaction is that of a pros, but I have found this string.

Grab>pummel>Air release>buffer dashgrab>pummel>Air release>buffer dashgrab>pummel>Air release>buffer dashgrab(by this time you should be at the ledge)>forced release downwards, to falling Uair which hopefully stage spikes, or kills MK, depending on the percentage. Does anyone know if this is legit?

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
Nope. MK just has to stall below you, and punish. With either an aerial or Shuttle Loop. Point and case, you'll probably be the one getting stage spiked. If not, you've simply been killed.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Ok didh't know where to post that so here it comes :
I had a lot of fhanfus loop practice in training mode today and I noticed 4 variations in the FHNair to footstool "combo", depending of the spacing of said Nair. The variation resides in the kind of jump that I have to do after the Nair to footstool the opponent :

1-after a "foot Nair" (when falcon hits with his foot or his shin) I must dash a little before jumping,
2-after a "knee Nair" (when falcon hits with any part between his knee and his hip) it's a forward jump,
3-after a "butt Nair" (when falcon, facing away from his opponent, hits him/her with, well, his butt) it's a backward jump,
4-and after a "retreating butt Nair" then it's a backward dash followed by a jump.

Each of these follow ups work against CPUs (tested on ROB, samus and wario), but which one(s) is(are) legit on human players ?

Top Bottom