• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
Guys, guys, guyssssss

I have news :O

I think...I'm going to main Falcon from now on :O!!

I was pretty much maining Snake for tourneys just because I was good at him, but I like Falcon a lot more. I can get excited playing Falcon but with Snake it's like whatevz.

Plus I <3 low tiers and it doesn't get much lower than Falcon :D
Playing low tiers every now and then is always fun :)
I couldn't see myself maining one though.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
I understand Falcon is one of the worst characters in the game. So...why is it so easy to beat D3 with him? With the tier difference D3 should win by default.

Contrary to popular belief, D3 can NOT chain grab Falcon infinitely or even well at all; the % window is quite small and seems escapable anyway.

Falcon's jabs **** D3 out of his slow smashes. Failing jabs, one word: SPOTDODGE.

Any competent Falcon can avoid obvious moves like lanuch w/ whatever>wait w/ charged smash for predicted approach (nooby D3's love that, as do standard Ikes)

Like most other characters, D3 prioritizes Falcon as if he was made to, but Falcon can almost always find an aerial hole in a D3's defenses.

Falcon's Uair, while lacking priority, can hit D3's Up+B drop due to hitbox -- just like in 64 :)

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
I understand Falcon is one of the worst characters in the game. So...why is it so easy to beat D3 with him? With the tier difference D3 should win by default.

Contrary to popular belief, D3 can NOT chain grab Falcon infinitely or even well at all; the % window is quite small and seems escapable anyway.

Falcon's jabs **** D3 out of his slow smashes. Failing jabs, one word: SPOTDODGE.

Any competent Falcon can avoid obvious moves like lanuch w/ whatever>wait w/ charged smash for predicted approach (nooby D3's love that, as do standard Ikes)

Like most other characters, D3 prioritizes Falcon as if he was made to, but Falcon can almost always find an aerial hole in a D3's defenses.

Falcon's Uair, while lacking priority, can hit D3's Up+B drop due to hitbox -- just like in 64 :)
lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETO3-MxMe2Q

Player-3

Smash Hero

i laffed
Twice

RjPunch

Smash Journeyman

"Are you SERIOUS?", Snake

Winnar

Smash Lord
and you flamed Partyhatpikachu for saying falcon is the worst character..

Anyhow, I'm back.
Not that you guys are glad about that, but w/e.

I'm still back.
I don't have to explain myself to you. The mods obviously made their decision on whom was flaming whom.

---

Anyway, yeah it's kind of weird, Mumble. I usually play Snake but I feel like my play style with Snake has plateau'd. I was looking at the other characters but I think my next best/favorite to play is Falcon so...yeah.

If I'm not going to win any money as Snake or get better as him then I might as well play to have fun/get better. Since my motivations have shifted, my main change has reflected this. I'm excited about it :D

Noodlehead

Smash Lord

he/she is probably new to brawl so no need to laugh at him/her
anyways d3 is one of falcon's harder match ups. ddd will make you approach by throwing waddle dees and waddle doos at you. his inhale makes it harder to appraoch. ddd doesn't just use smashes to kill, his utilt has ridiculous killing power, he has other killing moves but i'm not going to name them all. as falcon you have to space almost all the time against ddd. his bair wop owns falcon too, especially if your off stage he will just keep hitting you with it to where you cant recover and go back to the stage. you must play safe cause his chaingrab, which CANNOT be escaped. the only thing you can try to do against his cg is space and try not to get shield grabbed. if you get grabbed he probably wont stop until he brings you near the ledge. he will probably stop thinking about grabbing until you reach a high enough percentage till where he can kill you.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I don't have to explain myself to you. The mods obviously made their decision on whom was flaming whom.

---

Anyway, yeah it's kind of weird, Mumble. I usually play Snake but I feel like my play style with Snake has plateau'd. I was looking at the other characters but I think my next best/favorite to play is Falcon so...yeah.

If I'm not going to win any money as Snake or get better as him then I might as well play to have fun/get better. Since my motivations have shifted, my main change has reflected this. I'm excited about it :D
w/e.
You're still a hypocrit.

---

And gj on maining falcon, too. welcome to the brawl world of maining falcon.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
You're being nice Noodlehead. At least he's posting on the Q&A before making a thread. When I started, well everyone on the Falcon boards know what happened.
We all love you more for it RJ... your posts were epic.

Anyways, D3 ***** falcon hard.. and you make it sound like he DOESN'T have a chaingrab <_<;

2 words, BACK AIR

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
rock on till the break of dawn is now the new falcon board slogan
Um... I'm quoting this because I think it should be truth.

EDITED FOR AN ACTUAL QUESTION:

What is this grab release thing I here about against MK? Is it an air release thing, or and a land one? And what moves can be used afterward?

Player-3

Smash Hero

What is this grab release thing I here about against MK? Is it an air release thing, or and a land one? And what moves can be used afterward?
air release to a hyphen smash will connect on meataknight

You're being nice Noodlehead. At least he's posting on the Q&A before making a thread. When I started, well everyone on the Falcon boards know what happened.
we love you for that <3

he/she is probably new to brawl so no need to laugh at him/her
anyways d3 is one of falcon's harder match ups. ddd will make you approach by throwing waddle dees and waddle doos at you. his inhale makes it harder to appraoch. ddd doesn't just use smashes to kill, his utilt has ridiculous killing power, he has other killing moves but i'm not going to name them all. as falcon you have to space almost all the time against ddd. his bair wop owns falcon too, especially if your off stage he will just keep hitting you with it to where you cant recover and go back to the stage. you must play safe cause his chaingrab, which CANNOT be escaped. the only thing you can try to do against his cg is space and try not to get shield grabbed. if you get grabbed he probably wont stop until he brings you near the ledge. he will probably stop thinking about grabbing until you reach a high enough percentage till where he can kill you.
his post had enough technical terms and stuff that he cant be that new to brawl

Noodlehead

Smash Lord

its a jump(air) release
you can dash attack, usmash,uair, or regrab

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Because it doesn't work :(

Instead of b-sticking it just does the normal reverse falcon punch.

Oh well time to practice 360 falcon punch mindgames
I was saying why can't it be both a great idea and the greatest idea. Presumably if it is the greatest idea, then it is by default a great idea.

I was being silly.

Mit

Smash Ace
We need to make a mindgame thread where we share our mindgames (and pray our opponents don't study them).

I'm surprised we don't have one already. Mindgames are the backbone of Brawl, and if you have good mindgames you can win with even the worst character in the game *cough we need mindgames cough*.

I've got a few I could share, and I'd love to learn some new mindgames from others (I recently started using some of the mindgames from the How to Falcon Punch video, they're amazing).

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
We need to make a mindgame thread where we share our mindgames (and pray our opponents don't study them).

I'm surprised we don't have one already. Mindgames are the backbone of Brawl, and if you have good mindgames you can win with even the worst character in the game *cough we need mindgames cough*.

I've got a few I could share, and I'd love to learn some new mindgames from others (I recently started using some of the mindgames from the How to Falcon Punch video, they're amazing).
I concur. We should start a group and have a secret, locked thread that only we can go to. I haven't been apart of a secret club in a while.
Someone start taking names down...

...secretly.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz

I'd say go for it.:)

Winnar

Smash Lord

Probably the best/most satisfying way to get a knee is to predict when they're going to double jump to get back onto the stage after an f-throw.

Also guys I'm going to start throwing one falcon punch per match.

You'll never get it if you don't throw it :O

Winnar

Smash Lord
You can't as Falcon, but as a few characters it is possible. Off the top of my head, Falco, Snake, Marth, G&W, Pikachu? and some others

Basically you just press B and then immediately smash the control stick in the opposite direction you're moving.

Unfortunately that's also the input for Falcon's reverse Falcon Punch so no b-sticking (recoil special) for Falcon.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
You can't as Falcon, but as a few characters it is possible. Off the top of my head, Falco, Snake, Marth, G&W, Pikachu? and some others

Basically you just press B and then immediately smash the control stick in the opposite direction you're moving.

Unfortunately that's also the input for Falcon's reverse Falcon Punch so no b-sticking (recoil special) for Falcon.
Falcon... can do that. That's how the 360 punch works. And like P3 said, what you're saying is a b-reversal. B-sticking is mapping the c-stick to specials.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
I'm up up for a mind game thread. I recorded one of it in my tourny match against Bomber
Mindgames cannot really be defined; there are infinite variables as to how mindgames work. It's more than just "tricking your opponent into being where you want them". It's an application of technical skill, mixed with predictions of how your opponent will react. It begins to be less of a prediction, and more of a manipulation of your opponent.

In summary, mindgames vary per person, per situation. You can't make a definite thread of something that has no definition.

RjPunch

Smash Journeyman
Yeah to me, most mindgames happen only once. After that, the opponent get's use to it. If that thread thread was to be made it would just contain some people did. Mine would be the ledge knee "combo". Bomber admitted that he was getting worried it would sweetspot or not. Check the second video on my video thread if you want to see it?

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Yeah to me, most mindgames happen only once. After that, the opponent get's use to it. If that thread thread was to be made it would just contain some people did. Mine would be the ledge knee "combo". Bomber admitted that he was getting worried it would sweetspot or not. Check the second video on my video thread if you want to see it?
uhh could you link and tell me what part. no computer, but i could see it asap. **** us falcons being technologically crippled. i was planning on making a "brawl mind game" video since combo's aren't really legit in brawl. of course, it was going to be falcon only, and mostly something to laugh at. if i did make a combo video, it would most likely be for brawl+, melee, or 64. most likely brawl+ as that is what most people in my area play. (more play brawl)

Winnar

Smash Lord
thats b reversing
not b sticking
*facepalm*

No. It is not.

Let me educate you.

Recoil special is where you change your momentum, I call it b-sticking because the name is catchier and means the same thing. The only reason anyone would ever map c-stick to special is to do recoil specials, so the term recoil special has become synonymous with b-stick (and b-sticking became a verb).

I thought there was a chance that you could recoil special with Falcon Punch, which would make the move not only viable, but USEFUL.

Unfortunately the way to do recoil special (without mapping c-stick to special) using the control stick is essentially how you do the Reverse Falcon Punch (where he physically turns around). So instead of changing momentum, he just starts his turn around animation.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
recoil special =/= b-sticking, but you can b-stick to do recoil specials

And starting his turn around animation does change his momentum, but not in the manner of a recoil special.

Winnar

Smash Lord
recoil special =/= b-sticking, but you can b-stick to do recoil specials

And starting his turn around animation does change his momentum, but not in the manner of a recoil special.
What else do you do with b-stick other than recoil special?

And yeah, I thought about saying that about the momentum but I figured it was obvious enough to go without saying.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
What else do you do with b-stick other than recoil special?

And yeah, I thought about saying that about the momentum but I figured it was obvious enough to go without saying.
I'm saying that they aren't mutually exclusive. I personally use default controls, and have no b-sticking talent. But I'm saying that the term "b-stick" does not necessarily refer to recoil specials. You can b-stick moves and use them like normal B moves, just like you can do recoil specials without b-sticking (harder, of course).

Winnar

Smash Lord
I'm saying that they aren't mutually exclusive. I personally use default controls, and have no b-sticking talent. But I'm saying that the term "b-stick" does not necessarily refer to recoil specials. You can b-stick moves and use them like normal B moves, just like you can do recoil specials without b-sticking (harder, of course).
Okay if we're really going to argue over semantics this hardcore...

Mutually exclusive. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean what you want it to mean.

Ad hominem arguments FTW :D

But yeah this isn't going anywhere, we're just arguing over semantics.

My point was that you can't RECOIL SPECIAL a falcon punch.

Also GUYS I'M SO CLOSE TO BEING DONE WITH MY RESEARCH PAPER >_<; After this I have some chemistry homework but this being done will be awesome. (Relevant because I'll be able to update the video thread finally)

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Okay if we're really going to argue over semantics this hardcore...

Mutually exclusive. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean what you want it to mean.

Ad hominem arguments FTW :D

But yeah this isn't going anywhere, we're just arguing over semantics.

My point was that you can't RECOIL SPECIAL a falcon punch.
You're right :'( and ok lol

Question: Who uses second hit nair? It does have good range, and you kind of have two options, either first hit fastfalled to grab or jab or something, or second hit for knockback. I've gotten a few kills with it, and it's hard to shield grab.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
You're right :'( and ok lol

Question: Who uses second hit nair? It does have good range, and you kind of have two options, either first hit fastfalled to grab or jab or something, or second hit for knockback. I've gotten a few kills with it, and it's hard to shield grab.
I use it occasionally. I've gotten kills with it as well,
but those kills are usually the result of my opponent not being very good, or playing teams.
To kill with it, I have to chase them off stage, and to chase I have to be aggressive, and Falcon should only be played faux aggressive. Y'know... because he's got no priority.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Nair's priority doesn't really matter because it's not meant (imo) to attack grounded opponents, and in the air the only thing that would matter to determine which attacks hit is range, which nair has. But I don't use it offstage because it takes forever to finish.

Top Bottom