• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Acedude55

Smash Ace
Falcon isn't as bad as he may appear to be.......... I've gone toe to toe with many high tiers, hell, even Meta knight (Thanks to norfair lol >.>). You just need to rely on having a good mindset, predicting and such. Falcon takes alot more skill than any other char in brawl >_>. oh and umm............ Jab n grab is too good. <3

illinialex24

Smash Hero
no, its a D-air on a grounded opponent, which will knock them up in a huge burst of hitstun, then jump Knee.

You have to take into account DI I suppose, but Falcon's jump are really flexible.
Yeah, sounds decent. My thing is that there's not enough hitstun so if you can't FH hit them, it doesn't work, but yeah, I didn't think of that. I might test it out fully.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
Dair>(sweet) knee = real combo.

Check the 'falcons real combo's' thread;)

And if you dont trust that thread somehow, try it out yourself, the hitstun on Falcons Dair is still very present (and hawt).

:bumper::joyful::bumper:

Tenki

Smash Hero
But yeah, back to Falcon.

What makes a good Falcon? There's many different things you could do to point out a good player from a bad one, but Falcon is a bit more complex than most of the roster. Lets take a look at Captain Falcon's moveset. Majority of which are attacks with low-mid power and knock back potential and can easily be followed up by another attack.

Example; Jab -> Jab Cancel -> Down Throw -> Aerial of Choice.

Any generic player would immediately attempt to perform an attack such as the Knee of Justice over and over throughout a match, like I used to do myself. There's a distinction between a character that can PERFORM things with ease, and those who can use them efficiently to kill. Where one player may attempt to use the Knee a good number of times in one stock, another might see the best choice as to save the attack for a kill move ONLY to prevent stale moves. A well placed knee should easily kill at a percent such as 85-95% on most characters (taking DI into exception) if it was unused during the match, where someone who used it multiple times will be having trouble killing with it around 120%.
Ehhh

not really.

I second Falcon, and I do stuff like jab cancelling, and heck, pivot sliding jab madness, but I wouldn't label myself as 'good' though.
what you label as "any generic player" is like, any one who doesn't have a mind for competitive play in this game.

Just because you don't do idiotic things doesn't necessarily make you a 'good' _______. It just makes you 'not a bad' ________.

okay, well, I'm not really in a ranting mood anymore, so I'll drop it, haha.

lol, I just kind of felt that being labeled 'good' should be more reserved for people who are worth trying to learn from/imitate/be awed from watching.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I don't think it matters. Whether someone thinks you're good or bad before you play them, it will become evident soon.

lol, I just kind of felt that being labeled 'good' should be more reserved for people who are worth trying to learn from/imitate/be awed from watching.
I agree with this though.

Falcon_Puuuunch

Smash Rookie
knee of justice help!

Whenever I knock someone off of the platform, but not all the way out, I try to jump out to where they are, and give them the knee of justice for the kill, and then revcover back. Prblem is, I rarely land it, and if I do, it normally does zero knockback and like 5%. I just want some tops on how to make this tactic work.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
Whenever I knock someone off of the platform, but not all the way out, I try to jump out to where they are, and give them the knee of justice for the kill, and then revcover back. Prblem is, I rarely land it, and if I do, it normally does zero knockback and like 5%. I just want some tops on how to make this tactic work.
when you hit the flubbed knee(the one with low knockback) follow it up with an uair. it works great. the uair launches your opponent away from the stage making it harder for your opponent to recover

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
how do you fight kirby? >.> his dair ***** your recovery options, im good at not getting grabbed so i can normally escape his chains. i can kill him fairly easy, my only problem is getting him in the air.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
kirby tips and info
-when he uses the final cutter block it
-since he can crouch, if you use fsmash angle it down. he can avoid a lot of our attacks including grabs and jabs
-try to kill him with usmash if you can
-when he inhales punish before it starts cause start up lag is bad, if his inhale hitbox is already activated just jab or utilt cause it out prioritizes the inhale
-watch out for dair gimp, it completely destroys you
-watch out for the gonzo combo
-his common kill move will probably be fsmash
-usmash and dsmash are punishable
-try to sdi if grabbed
-if you try to gimp be aware of kirbycide or the hammer
-watch out for floating falcon punches XD

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Be the better player.
Or CP.
Yeah, to be honest, I can't see what I did wrong until I see the replays. I two stocked him first match, then lose (he 1 stocked). I had never faced a good kirby so I had no idea what to counterpick. My only guess is probably I was either being defensive. Also, ToKnee should receive way more credit that he does, RaR uair is underrated.

kirby tips and info
-when he uses the final cutter block it
-since he can crouch, if you use fsmash angle it down. he can avoid a lot of our attacks including grabs and jabs
-try to kill him with usmash if you can
-when he inhales punish before it starts cause start up lag is bad, if his inhale hitbox is already activated just jab or utilt cause it out prioritizes the inhale
-watch out for dair gimp, it completely destroys you
-watch out for the gonzo combo
-his common kill move will probably be fsmash
-usmash and dsmash are punishable
-try to sdi if grabbed
-if you try to gimp be aware of kirbycide or the hammer
-watch out for floating falcon punches XD
I wasn't trying to seem like an ******* or consider you a bad player noodle. It's just that many of these things I already knew.
Also, I'm good at not getting grab so gonzo combo isn't a worry for me. I'm not a scrub, I know to block final cutter >_> Usmash is too laggy of a move for me to want to kill him with. He barely used smashes, he was very good. Again, I'm no noob, I know how to avoid kirbycide and especially hammer. Good kirbies only uses swallow if it'll surely land but if he does I'll be sure to punish.

If I should specify, my main problem was getting him in the air. He had really good DI and spacing. If it helps, I was playing Mike G >.<
So more or less, I'll ask on the kirby boards since kirby would know more about kirby than falcon would. I appreciate your help noodle.

Player-3

Smash Hero
You guys are forgetting a very good tactic against kirbys

use up b to counter their down b.

you cant counter it by going up from under it.... you have to come up from the side so your facing it,

Player-3

Smash Hero
if they down b, you should up b, because you can fast fall faster than kirby, so even if he does cancel and he misses you can get to the ground before he does

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
You guys are forgetting a very good tactic against kirbys

use up b to counter their down b.

you cant counter it by going up from under it.... you have to come up from the side so your facing it,
Most of the time you will receive the damage of their down bwhen you up b them out of it though:( making it a kinda bad idea >.<

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
If you get grabbed by a Kirby, always mash buttons. The gonzo combo (which can be done twice on Falcon I believe) starts at 0%, so if you get grabbed and your opponent is slow or pummels, you should be able to get out. Grabs are a huge part of Kirby's game, so if you can avoid them, that's a big advantage. Watch out for dthrow>utilt as well. What I do (as Kirby) if the opponent double jumps or airdodges is dthrow>utilt>shield, and usually get one or two regrabs. And as far as kill moves, from playing as and against Kirby, it's almost always fsmash, aerial hammer, or bair. DI helps a lot, as pretty much everything is horizontal. Uthrow kills aren't really viable on Falcon until at least 180% on most stages because of his weight and fall speed.

Player-3

Smash Hero
still seems kinda risky:(
but I guess practice makes perfect:)
i did this in a tournament match the first time playing a kirby in my life

i was like

if you can grab a kirby out of his down b

and falcons up b has grab priority
why cant you YESZ kirby?

so i tried it, and failed
then thought

oh wait, you use ARMS AND HANDS to grab, not falcons head

and waalaa
it worked

its not hard people, use your head

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
i did this in a tournament match the first time playing a kirby in my life

i was like

if you can grab a kirby out of his down b

and falcons up b has grab priority
why cant you YESZ kirby?

so i tried it, and failed
then thought

and waalaa
it worked

its not hard people, use your head
you seem to forget the kirby player has control over his character, too >.<
like they dont know this..

its not hard to avoid people, use your head;)

Player-3

Smash Hero
you seem to forget the kirby player has control over his character, too >.<
like they dont know this..

its not hard to avoid people, use your head;)
kirby cant move horizontally while in his down b

youd be surprised how little people know/care about what falcon can do to them

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
There is actually a lot of startup lag where Kirby's not invincible, so if you're under him out of Falcon Dive range, you can just uair him. You probably already knew that, but it surprised me how much time there is where you are vulnerable as Kirby. Then I killed a MK at 65% on Delfino with it. Fair trade I think =)

Player-3

Smash Hero
There is actually a lot of startup lag where Kirby's not invincible, so if you're under him out of Falcon Dive range, you can just uair him. You probably already knew that, but it surprised me how much time there is where you are vulnerable as Kirby. Then I killed a MK at 65% on Delfino with it. Fair trade I think =)
i believe falcon dive has more damage output than uair

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
kirby cant move horizontally while in his down b

youd be surprised how little people know/care about what falcon can do to them
But kirby can down b>down b (breaking out of his down b immediatly) and Dair your up b.

But I agree with the second part of your post.

I main ice climbers, and most of the time all I think about is how easily falcon is 0-deathed, rather than the actual things he has going for him.

Though I am getting rid of this habit, and I am starting to play each character as if they are my worst matchup: safe, and/but efficient;)

Player-3

Smash Hero
But kirby can down b>down b (breaking out of his down b immediatly) and Dair your up b.

But I agree with the second part of your post.

I main ice climbers, and most of the time all I think about is how easily falcon is 0-deathed, rather than the actual things he has going for him.

Though I am getting rid of this habit, and I am starting to play each character as if they are my worst matchup: safe, and/but efficient;)
that still takes time, and it really depends on the height of where the kirby is placed on as if i would attempt a up b, and how far i am from said kirby

Top Bottom