• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Botanical Gardens of the Mushroom Kingdom

Are you awesome?

• Well DUH!

Votes: 160 30.8%
  • lolz no I'm a minority

Votes: 245 47.1%
  • I'm confused :c

Votes: 115 22.1%

• Total voters

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Unless they have very good reaction time.....

:phone:
okay, so you float cancel a F-air, right when it hits you let go of float so the hitbox doesn't come out. You immediately land. From the point where the hit box doesn't come and you land on the ground is about 4 frames. You buffered a grab so that's an extra 6. So your opponent has 10 frames to react. That's 1/6th of a second which is 125 milliseconds. Average reaction time is some where around 215 milliseconds. Amazing reaction times is some where around 160 milliseconds. It is basically impossible to react to this

Nordal

Smash Lord
You forgot the part where Peach's grab range is ***, and anyone trying to punish with an OoS aerial would **** that.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
okay, so you float cancel a F-air, right when it hits you let go of float so the hitbox doesn't come out. You immediately land. From the point where the hit box doesn't come and you land on the ground is about 4 frames. You buffered a grab so that's an extra 6. So your opponent has 10 frames to react. That's 1/6th of a second which is 125 milliseconds. Average reaction time is some where around 215 milliseconds. Amazing reaction times is some where around 160 milliseconds. It is basically impossible to react to this
Throw a bomb up ,throw a rang backwards, hold shield, get grabbed by peach and watch her get hit by everything returning.

Where is your god now?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
It's a really good mix up though. Come at some one with F-air. Cancel the float so the F-air plays out but the hit box does not come out. Your opponent will certainly shield in preparation for the F-air. Grab your opponent.
I've done this before to bait a roll, then I just fsmashed behind me.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
uuuuuugggghhhh theory craft peeps are so annoying. Watch matches of the best players playing a good peach. How many times did the player with good OOS options let the Peach hit their shield with F-air? Almost every time.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
uuuuuugggghhhh theory craft peeps are so annoying. Watch matches of the best players playing a good peach. How many times did the player with good OOS options let the Peach hit their shield with F-air? Almost every time.
That's because the fair was tippered.

Try hitting people with fair at point blank and see what happens. They'll just hit you first during the startup.

Nordal

Smash Lord
Do you really think people don't realize when Fair is poorly space (which it would have to be in your case if Peach's grab with it's terrible range were to be landed).

Try hitting people with fair at point blank and see what happens. They'll just hit you first during the startup.
This.

Thebest1pj

Originally Posted by God-is-my-Rock

think about it for a second it will come to you.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant

I was thinking this, but he's smarter then I am.

Do you really think people don't realize when Fair is poorly space (which it would have to be in your case if Peach's grab with it's terrible range were to be landed).
Isn't her grab at her elbow or something?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
So that explains it...lol

Regardless of whether this is useful or not, you say that you have to cancel the float during the time Fair's hitbox is out
Looking at Fair's frame data...

Duration: 54
Hits on Frame: 16 (max range @ 17)
Hitbox Duration: 16-19 (4)
Aerial Cooldown: 35
Landing Lag: 22
Autocancels on Frame: 20

Wait hang on, I'm now a tad confused - if Fair autocancels on Frame 20, then why when you're Ground Floating and cancel the Float during the hitbox don't you suffer from landing lag? How did you get this to work on whilst you were Ground Floating - I don't know how many frames it takes for Peach to 'land' after cancelling a Ground Float

This sounds pretty tricky to do intentionally - you've only got 4 frames in which you can do this

Razmakazi

Smash Champion

that's not rly theorycraft.

all he's saying is that if you buffer then it's hella hard to react to. usually ppl w/ good oos options react to fair hitting the shield. the shield is never hit, there's nothing to rly react too coz peeps almost always wait for something to hit their shield.

so yeah, it's not like super intense theorycraft. gimr's stuff appears to be a pretty practical mix-up.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR

so tipper F-air(Cancel the hit box), and buffer a dash grab which also comes out in 6 frames.

The thing is, I'm stating facts. When most people make theorycraft(their's nothing wrong with it as long as you are using as a way to test things) they never consider things like reaction time. When I posted my vid on falco's frame trap a bunch of people told me MK mains were just going to Up-B you before the laser came out. I mentioned that it's hard to react to and they just brushed me off. since then I've picked up Falco and I get the laser trap at least 4 times a match even against good MK mains. I guess I did come off a bit rash and I'll apologize for that but Peach mains should still consider doing this since it;s a really good mix up

all he's saying is that if you buffer then it's hella hard to react to. usually ppl w/ good oos options react to fair hitting the shield. the shield is never hit, there's nothing to rly react too coz peeps almost always wait for something to hit their shield.

so yeah, it's not like super intense theorycraft. gimr's stuff appears to be a pretty practical mix-up.
exactly

@Rick: you're right my frames were a bit off.

@Kyon: sorry if I was a bit harsh

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i mean its a good mixup but why not just ac fair on their shield and grab after? i dont get how this is better

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
i mean its a good mixup but why not just ac fair on their shield and grab after? i dont get how this is better
because most players wait for the f-air to hit their shield(Out of fear) and then they react during the shield lag frames. If there are not shield lag frames there's no way to react

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yea true. learning the timing for this might be counterproductive if u start doing it on accident when meaning to actually ac fair though! since the motions are super similar

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
yea true. learning the timing for this might be counterproductive if u start doing it on accident when meaning to actually ac fair though! since the motions are super similar
true, but like Rick said, you can't do this if you you're doing an instant float F-air because you don't let go of float until after the F-air has already hit in that case.

guys, i think I'm doing this weeks episode of Metagame Minute on Peach(Not on this tech). Wadda ya think?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i fully support that 8]

and maybe I just suck but I almost never instant float fair.

i think its better to just sh and float at that height cuz it can shieldpoke.

proper peach mains, lemee know. i just picked this char up

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
@GIMR - I wasn't actually questioning whether your frames were off or not xD I'm just a bit confused because hotgarbage's frame data says the hitbox is out frame 16-19 BUT it also says that Fair autocancels on Frame 20...which I would assume to mean that if you hit the ground during frames 16-19 i.e. before frame 20, you'd get that nasty landing lag...
...but that can't be the case because otherwise the whole 'fake fair' to grab thing you're talking about wouldn't be plausible

I know you can autocancel Fair way before the hitbox even comes out but can you do it whilst the hitbox is out already?

Would you mind posting a frame by frame run through of what you do when performing this?I'm just curious that's all

...or is this another one of your Metagame a Minute thingies?

Edit:

true, but like Rick said, you can't do this if you you're doing an instant float F-air because you don't let go of float until after the F-air has already hit in that case.

guys, i think I'm doing this weeks episode of Metagame Minute on Peach(Not on this tech). Wadda ya think?
Rofl completely ninja'ed

Okey dokey - pull out another Bair trap that's 100 times easier to set up pretty please :>

Thebest1pj

Friends don't quote other friends post and respond in such a manner.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
The Metagame Minute episodes are awesome. I fully support a Peach episode. :)

and maybe I just suck but I almost never instant float fair.

i think its better to just sh and float at that height cuz it can shieldpoke.

proper peach mains, lemee know. i just picked this char up
It depends on the situation, but being able to instant float fair has it's uses, like catching people airdodging into the stage, and hitting people off stage that are still at stage height, that sorta thing. Either way, it's a nice mixup if you don't want to SH float -> fair every time.

I don't know what "proper Peach main" means exactly, but I've been maining her for almost 6 months now, so I guess I could be considered proper, so I'm answering this. xD

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Haven't been back playing Peach for that long yet, and I've forgotten some of the terminology. I assume an instant float fair is jumping and immediately floating so that you are just off the ground and putting a fair out from there?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Yeah, Haptic.

I want to announce that my Combo Video, "Precision" will most likely be released by the end of this week. Both Neon and myself (mainly Neon), have been putting in enormous amounts of time and effort in creating it and I'm extremely grateful and proud of all the talent and work that Neon has put into starting it from scratch.

It will feature very different gameplay than that of the "standard" Peach, extremely quick and precise combos, rigid gameplay and great reads.

I'm hoping for it topple over Excel Zero's title of "Best Peach Combo Video", but we will just have to wait and see!

Top Bottom