• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Sukai

Smash Champion
So he ***** low tiers, has a bunch of even/slight advantage matchups, and has trouble with Sagat, Ryu, and Akuma, all three of who can reversal uppercut. Indeed, it tells me a lot.
They can get out with one move, that could be easily read and punished due to lack of options?
You're **** straight it tells you a lot.

I said nothing about it being a "technique", it's a tactic, that quite frankly, he didn't use as often as he could.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
SF4 is legit. I play sagat and spam tiger shot all day lol.

As far as I know you can't just infinite people when they wake up. You just reversal them with shoryuken if they grab, or if they shoryuken you just block. I really don't know what you are talking about knux. Is there any vids of this?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
There are already two and a half options at that point - wakeup block or wakeup uppercut (or wakeup low jab).

Wakeup block will obviously get eaten by a throw, but will prevent getting wrecked by anything else.

Wakeup uppercut will beat out his throw (and like any other oki that doesn't involve projectiles) but can get blocked if predicted and punished.

Wakeup low jab? If they start looking for wakeup uppercuts you can poke out and escape. Or just use it to punish mistimed meaty throw (I'm at a loss as to why you think Zangief's is so much better than any other oki throw).

Also, Zangief most certainly would be god tier if he had some braindead infinite loop for oki. Who the hell cares about Sagat's zoning game when you've won the round the moment you've landed a knockdown?

Sukai

Smash Champion
A loop isn't a tactic. -_-
Deciding to perform one move when the given opportunity is provided is a tactic.
Or a strategy if you wanna be technical.
It just so happens that that one move regives the opportunity that you originally were given.
Deciding to persist with the same move, because the opportunity is once again provided, is a tactic.
So, yeah it is. It's the same as a chaingrab.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
dawg no1 can infinite u at a getup...im confused, have u played street fighter? unless u juz wanna get up n block against zangief the whole time...

and the game is a lot more balanced then brawl...even tho sagat is definitely the most broken he can still be comboed and u can crouch attack his fireball spam to get in closer

trust me noone is as broke as metaknight

Sukai

Smash Champion
have u played street fighter?
I owned the game when it first came out. And I played it a lot, both on and offline.
Sold it due to my revelation that I ****ing hated it, for various reasons.
trust me noone is as broke as metaknight
My initial issue wasn't the character balance, it's the tech system, or rather the lack thereof, think how broken Metaknight would be if you couldn't techroll, or even roll to get up. Like if you were hit in a footstool, and forced to get up.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Deciding to perform one move when the given opportunity is provided is a tactic.
It just so happens that that one move regives the opportunity that you originally were given.
Deciding to persist with the same move, because the opportunity is once again provided, is a tactic.
So, yeah it is. It's the same as a chaingrab.
See, it's never an opportunity. It's just one of a couple oki options, except this one doesn't have a very long-lasting hitbox so it's easy to mistime, unlike meaty fireballs and jumping crossups.
It just so happens that since it's so difficult to time, it can be beaten both by doing something standard (reversal uppercut) and something stupid (wakeup low jab).
The rest of it is someone getting hella-trolled, Banana Shiki style.
And no, it's not the same as a chaingrab. Chaingrabbing is a combo that cannot be escaped, hence the chain that comes before grab. Also chaingrab. I'll repeat that to make sure you know what it means. Chaingrab. Chaingrab.
Oki grab is not broken, nor is it even close to the best thing you can do in.... any wakeup punish situation, really.

Sukai

Smash Champion
And no, it's not the same as a chaingrab.
Not in application, I wasn't talking about application.
It's the same under the principle of using a tactic to repeatedly deal damage to your opponent.

It's just one of a couple oki options, except this one doesn't have a very long-lasting hitbox so it's easy to mistime
lol yeah, because it's impossible to time an attack right regardless of practice given.
Falcon Knee anyone?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Landing a knee (make sure Falcon is on top of the opponent before his knee comes out) is easy compared to timing an oki grab consistently (input the command grab at the right moment just before the opponent's wakeup). Also chaingrab.

Chaingrab

Sukai

Smash Champion
wait captain falcon...and not very long lasting hitboxes in the same sentence

oh god
I love how people scan over my posts and completely misses the point, center, or focus on it.
For one, when I said Falcon knee, I meant sweetspotted Falcon Knee, derp.
Second, they weren't in the same sentence, derp.
Third, "long lasting hitboxes" were never in either sentence.
Derp.

Landing a knee (make sure Falcon is on top of the opponent before his knee comes out) is easy compared to timing an oki grab consistently (input the command grab at the right moment just before the opponent's wakeup).
I know, I was implying that talking about mistiming a move is too variant to be credible, because a good play can easily time their attacks.
Chaingrab
OMGHAXXORZ OMGLILOLOLOLOLOLSNJSBV PWNT​
Seriously, what's your point?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I know, I was implying that talking about mistiming a move is too variant to be credible, because a good play can easily time their attacks.
I can write a refutation including the fact that you used an entirely irrelevant example to try to point something out that's still true (if you can time a 2f 360-motion more consistently than someone can mash out given a 58f window, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn). I can also give a more standard reply.

Chaingrab.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I can write a refutation including the fact that you used an entirely irrelevant example to try to point something out that's still true (if you can time a 2f 360-motion more consistently than someone can mash out given a 58f window, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn).
I could write a refutation including the fact that a good player can properly time their ****ing attacks.

What part of that you're not getting?

MarkLoo

Smash Ace
falcon's sweetspotted knee has a pretty huge window for error in melee

also both of your arguments have degenerated into the verbal equivalent of pudding.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Going on a long shot here but what the heck.... Anyone going to the Peter Murphy concert tonight by chance?

Sukai

Smash Champion
Isn't there a smashfest tomorrow somewhere. Condemned told me about it, apparently it's 13 hours of mostly Melee.

Overall Confidence Level: 40%

Techskill improving, MINDGAMES getting there, teching needs work, L-cancelling needs reevaluation.
Ganon: 70%
Roy: 30%

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
Isn't there a smashfest tomorrow somewhere. Condemned told me about it, apparently it's 13 hours of mostly Melee.

Overall Confidence Level: 40%

Techskill improving, MINDGAMES getting there, teching needs work, L-cancelling needs reevaluation.
Ganon: 70%
Roy: 30%

where and wen

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
ok First of all. Ankoku is right, There is no such thing as an oki Infinate, in ANY FIGHTING GAME THAT IS PLAYED IN TOURNAMENTS.

Loops are not tatics but combo's

i hate you all

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
So, I'll be back here for a week or two finalizing everything after I get back from Phoenix. I want to host a tournament in this time frame. Like a one last hangout type thing. I was thinking Aug 15 since there isn't much going on that date.

I might also make it for Ann Arbor vs the World, but due to how busy I've been lately chances of me coming are severely reduced. I'll try my best to attend however.

Just keep me posted on dates and what you guys can make and I'll try my best to pick a date that most people can attend. I really want to chill with you all one last time before I head out the desert. :dizzy:

Top Bottom