• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

fZk

Smash Lord
This is more evidence of why Day is a terrible TO. All the of the SiiS series has been plague by problems like tourneys running late, poorly constructed pools, terrible seeding in brackets, etc.

She has had no control of any of the SiiS that I have attended and there's always problems.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
A short lesson for TOs on how to handle regional pools:

Yes, it's true that 70 entrants is an awkward number to be splitting into 8 pools or 16 pools, but there is still no excuse for resorting to the worst solution possible, 12 pools. The solution here is to do 8 pools. There will be some unusually large pools of 9, but that's okay. Separate the pools into two waves. Assuming you have 16 setups (a reasonable number of setups to expect for a regional) let the first four pools play out from say 3-5pm on four TVs each, then let the last four pools play out from say 5-7pm on four TVs each.

Anyone who says this would take too long is wrong. Two hours is more than enough time to complete a 9-player pool. Do the math. 36 sets need to be played out, and you have four TVs per pool, so the amount of time it takes to complete the 36 sets is essentially the time it takes to complete 9 consecutive sets on one TV. Assuming a worst case scenario in which the average set takes ~12 mins to complete, that's still only 108 minutes, or 1 hour 48 minutes to complete one wave under a worst case scenario.

Congrats, you've now solved the problem of an awkward number of entrants while relieving the venue of crowd congestion (half the players can take their food break while the other wave takes place) and you've actually created the possibility of a balanced bracket!

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
A short lesson for TOs on how to handle regional pools:

Yes, it's true that 70 entrants is an awkward number to be splitting into 8 pools or 16 pools, but there is still no excuse for resorting to the worst solution possible, 12 pools. The solution here is to do 8 pools. There will be some unusually large pools of 9, but that's okay. Separate the pools into two waves. Assuming you have 16 setups (a reasonable number of setups to expect for a regional) let the first four pools play out from say 3-5pm on four TVs each, then let the last four pools play out from say 5-7pm on four TVs each.

Anyone who says this would take too long is wrong. Two hours is more than enough time to complete a 9-player pool. Do the math. 36 sets need to be played out, and you have four TVs per pool, so the amount of time it takes to complete the 36 sets is essentially the time it takes to complete 9 consecutive sets on one TV. Assuming a worst case scenario in which the average set takes ~12 mins to complete, that's still only 108 minutes, or 1 hour 48 minutes to complete one wave under a worst case scenario.

Congrats, you've now solved the problem of an awkward number of entrants while relieving the venue of crowd congestion (half the players can take their food break while the other wave takes place) and you've actually created the possibility of a balanced bracket!
This ain't melee :yeahboi:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
a brawl worst case scenario set can take up to 24 minutes juggleguy

some sets that go 2-0 can take 12 minutes lmao
You're forgetting how pools work. That could only be true if you had a pool of 9 where every single player was extremely close in skill level.

There are far, far fewer long sets in pools than there are in bracket. For example, in first-round Brawl pools at *Pound 4* only 15% of sets went to game 3.

Even so 12 minutes is not the average set length in brawl pools.

also the skill balance at a regional is generally higher than at a national. a lot of pools had really intense sets. mine didn't... but that's because as a player i either 2-0 or get 0-2'd.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Do you want to try timing them at the next local?

If you have one long 24-min set and five short 8-min sets, the average is still less than 11 minutes per set. Based on past pool records (85% of sets are 2-0) it's reasonable to expect one long set and five short sets. It doesn't matter if it's a regional unless there's more than one round of pools.

You're also forgetting that there are four TVs per pool. A long set on one TV has no effect on the other three TVs in use. Think about it this way: every short set that happens speeds up the entire process much faster than one long set slows it down.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
wow awards should be given out to the most overused yeahbois. MI would steal the lead EASY. I agree with dre's post ^.^

why does everyone complain sooooooooooooo much after every tourney. seeding isnt bad every time..cmon now. Ive never ever heard someone say "good seeding."

whether its melee or brawl juggleguy knows his **** so everyone should show some respect, whatever he does for melee should be done for brawl if you want it to succeed.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
why does everyone complain sooooooooooooo much after every tourney. Seeding isnt bad every time..cmon now. Ive never ever heard someone say "good seeding."
siis did 12 pools? >_>

how many tos are going to keep making the rookie mistake of running a number of pools that isn't 2, 4, 8, 16, etc.? The first thing every to should learn is that the number of pools must be an exponent of 2... It should be common sense for anyone who has ever created a bracket in tio.

How does something like that happen with seasoned veterans like alphazealot at the venue? Surely he didn't approve of the 12 pool format... Did he?
.. .

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That reminds me, if Tech was the one who advised 12 pools, he definitely shouldn't publicize criticism of what went down as far as bracket seeding.

oh ya and concerning my SiiS...

i HIGHLY doubt anyone had a pool as hard as mine:

top 4 made it out and it had
keitaro, domo, fizzle, kassandra, me, random YOSHI, gifts

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
There's no need to time them. It's an irrelevant point i was just trying to state that the worst case scenario in brawl isn't 12 minutes its 24.

the worst case scenario in brawl is 3 games that go to time.
Wrong again. You're not looking at one set and predicting its chances of going 24 minutes. You're looking at the average of 36 sets in a 9-player pool. There's no way 36 sets all go three games and 8 minutes each. I'm willing to bet the average pools set out of 36 sets would never exceed 12 minutes at any tourney, so that's what I'm calling the worst case scenario. You also don't seem to understand that even if one unusually long set goes 24 minutes, the rest of the pool is completely unaffected as long as you're using four TVs per pool.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Yooo this was my SiiS5 pool
Zeton
Ally
Nicole
ShadowPhoenix (#5 in KY)
Today
Me
CREWS
Blitz

wanna talk hard pools get at me :yeahboi: