• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Man I love this thread. People talk, and then maybe twice a day a few guys actually say something. Reminds me of how amazing it is for this thread to somehow not be in the Social section.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
nice try, that has nothing to do with this convo. kekeke
Actually it kinda does lol.

You are in a way calling out our #5 and #8 players because they placed at 25th and 33rd.

You are also telling us that they should be placing higher (despite losing to better players and being almost incapable of playing). When you fail to realize that you were in the exact same situation in June and you failed to make it out of pools (come to think of it Tech also out placed you at SiiS5 :yeahboi:).

Why are you comparing them to an unranked player who placed better because he had a much easier bracket and his only real challenge was me?

If your point was to try and say that they did terrible, realize they did better than you did haha.

But hey I lost to THuGz so yeah why listen to me? Its not like I watched every MI player play this weekend :awesome:

ok, me not doing well at the last school is in session really doesnt debunk my point... that's a really bad counter argument guyz

if anything me being #5 and not getting out of pools just helps illustrate my opinion that our PR is giggle-inducing

clearly thugz belongs on our PR

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What's even your point? That MI's PR'd players should've had a better bracket? That people shouldn't john? That Michigan is bad at not keeping THuGz down?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
ok, me not doing well at the last school is in session really doesnt debunk my point... that's a really bad counter argument guyz

clearly thugz belongs on our PR
But you are using their current rank to try and defend your argument lol.

But yeah THuGz for some reason learned the :metaknight::metaknight: matchup very fast. It could also be that when he powered up he did well but idk :yeahboi:

I also like where this is going :p

whoa mikey posted!

and i'm saying the PR is pointless. it's never used for seeding. and OoS results never correlate with it. why does it even exist.

and idk last time we MK ditto'd i think i 3 stocked thugz. guess i shoulda gone to SiiS to clean up shop :denzel:

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Eh. I didn't do as well as I hoped, partially due to outside interference I wasn't counting on, but also because I just dropped the ball. Both sets that I lost I know I could have won, but it just wasn't my day this time, and I kinda shot myself in the foot anyway thanks to my long streak of inactivity. Hopefully this will no longer be an issue in the future, since I intend on being more active overall again.

My only real gripes with the tournament in general is that the way it was sorted shouldn't have happened. I was a third seed and had a fourth seed opponent first round, and played that match through to a really fast conclusion(which makes me wonder what the other pools looked like). I only care about this overall because Nicole did really well with a second placing under Shugo, and I really, really don't want something like weird seeding to take away from her wonderful performance.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Gio, on the broken record status with irrelavant arguments.

Also Mikey, Today sent me a PM after I made a statement saying I thought the seeding was *** and how the tournament wasnt run that great. She's mad at me now lol. But she explained that the reason the seeding didnt match up is because there 16 byes. Tio generated a 64 man bracket when we had 48 in bracket. Therefore they had to mix things up a bit and not all the 1st seeds ending up playing 4s. It makes sense now that she explained it. The rest of the stuff though that MI didnt like I was just up front and said how we felt.

:phone:

It was a dumb bracket. I won the same amount of sets as Thugz but I placed below him because he won both of his sets in losers. I unfortunately wasn't drunk enough to lose my round 1 match and as a result I placed below while maintaining the same record as him.

12 pools for a 48man tournament was a really stupid idea. 1st seeds should have a bye then play the winners of 2nd vs 3rd. There isn't any room for fourth seeds.

Also wtf at me and Kevin playing YBM in losers and Thugz playing sneaky tako and ori. I lost to ohio's/Kentucky's 3rd ranked PR players. Thugz had an easier bracket than everyone else in Michigan and he got a 4th seed lmao.

A 48 man bracket is a 64 man bracket where first seeds get a bye..if she wanted 1st seeds to play 4th seeds then she should have ran a 64 man bracket lmao. You can't blame tio for user failure like that

Also the pools were seeded horribly.

lol@ thugz' pool

2 Sheik's a wolf a falco and a yoshi.

my pool was just as free: AZ, me, a HM from KY, 2 randoms, and TKO who requested he was given a 4th seed at the creation of pools

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
They ran 12 pools? Man, it's like people just up and ignore tio's warning about how it can't seed brackets on a non-power-of-two number of pools these days.

ZTD | TECHnology

I'm not going to lie I did advocate for 12 pools not thinking about all of that. 16 pools wasnt even feasible though we didnt have that many setup lmao. 8 seemed a bit crazy as well.I guess 32 man would have been a lot better.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
God dammit TC if you advocate a non-standard number of pools then be prepared to explain how to seed it too, since that **** requires manual seeding.

ZTD | TECHnology

I had NOTHING to do with that bracket though.

But yeah you're right lmao. My bad for not TOing another tournament that isn't mine this time ;)

Or you could have just done a second round of pools(8 pools) with where top 4 made it out.

There would have been time before anyone brings that up. The only pools that didn't finish on time were because of people going out and getting food, if you had planned to run 2 sets of pools from the beginning then it would have been easy to be strict enough to end on time. And even then people stuck around until like an hour after the latest pool ended.
There was also 12 setups which means that half of the pools would have an additional set up.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
thugs' pool was Judo (KY #1), Hadesblade (old PR INKY would be ranked in IN), Luminoth (OH HM), myself (I'm free, but beat Hadesblade only to choke because I'm bad) and thugs and Denzi where everyone played secondaries (Lumi went Wolf, I played Mario and MK) and Denzi has a Marth.

Just about every pool had about the same difficulty.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
69 players in 16 pools would be 4 players with a few 5-player pools. I don't think this would be a big problem, and you can then promote into a 32-player bracket.

12 pools is annoying because look at what we get when we advance players:
top 1 - 12 players, 16-man bracket, 4 byes (all 1-seeds)
top 2 - 24 players, 32-man bracket, 8 byes (12 1-seeds)
top 3 - 36 players, 64-man bracket, 28 byes (24 upper seeds)
top 4 - 48 players, 64-man bracket, 16 byes (12 1-seeds)

as opposed to 16:
top 1: 16 players, 16-man bracket, 0 byes
top 2: 32 players, 32-man bracket, 0 byes
top 3: 48 players, 64-man bracket, 16 byes (all of which can be assigned to 1-seeds)
top 4: 64 players, 64-man bracket, 0 byes

It's a mess either way, but if you're willing to, then okay, 1s go with 4s, 2s go with 3s, and all of the 1-seeds will get a bye instead, and 4 lucky 2-seeds will get a bye. Next you have to balance the bracket to make sure not all the byes end up on one side or the other. Finally, there's the manual seeding to keep people who were in the same pool from playing each other in the first or second rounds.

Seriously, advocating 10 or 14 pools would be just as troublesome as 12, so if you tell the TO to run 12 you better make sure they know how to handle the ****storm that comes out of that.

ZTD | TECHnology

I assumed she knew since this is her 6th big event. And I didnt want to work on the bracket because I just wanted to enjoy the rest of my tourament experience. Saturday..It just reached a point where I just wanted to not do anything on my birthday but play. I'm not pointing fingers or saying she's a bad TO, I just assumed she'd know what to do. Next time, Im just gonna watch the fireworks.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Or just tell her to run 16 pools, then go out to buy some cake-flavored vodka and sit back.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think you understand my argument and the compelling factor of being able to have some cake-flavored vodka.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I assumed she knew since this is her 6th big event. And I didnt want to work on the bracket because I just wanted to enjoy the rest of my tourament experience. Saturday..It just reached a point where I just wanted to not do anything on my birthday but play. I'm not pointing fingers or saying she's a bad TO, I just assumed she'd know what to do. Next time, Im just gonna watch the fireworks.

How unwise. Just the first part.

lol at the second part.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
SiiS did 12 pools? >_>

How many TOs are going to keep making the rookie mistake of running a number of pools that isn't 2, 4, 8, 16, etc.? The first thing every TO should learn is that the number of pools must be an exponent of 2... it should be common sense for anyone who has ever created a bracket in tio.

How does something like that happen with seasoned veterans like AlphaZealot at the venue? Surely he didn't approve of the 12 pool format... did he?

Top Bottom