• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If I could split time and teleport I'd be at EVERY tourney in the country.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Isn't Browny the only one from Australia who went to Genesis 2? I don't remember him being a top player there at all...

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Austraila has some legit players actually.

And today Jon and Gifts learned that :luigi2: is broken. Except when facing Mach Tornado.

Gifts you suck spamming my Luigi.

D:

lol

:phone:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Anyone in Ann Arbor down for some early games tomorrow? Richard (BloodyJoker) and I will be at the game room starting at 11am or so.

Browny

Smash Hater
Really? I would be at every tourney in Australia. I played one of their alleged top players at Genesis and 3 stocked him... There are no ICs there. =]
lol calm down

everyone from australia is terrible. Americans needs to get their heads around the idea that our entire country has less population than texas, while the country is bigger than the USA mainland and flights are around double what you pay with nearest cities >500 miles apart.

when it costs over $300 to fly to the nearest city to play more than the 10 people who live where you are, it makes it kind of hard to get practice in :)
Austraila has some legit players actually.
No, we dont lol.

Also @ Ankoku, I'm not a top player in the whole country, but I go kind of even with the best players here (sydney). I'm not exactly an indication of our best when I'm using Lucario/Sonic lol.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
So how would MI feel about a legitimate regional in the fall?
I'd be legitimately hyped. The last 2 successful regionals I can remember are Good **** Stratford and Rofa's Midwest Regional back in '08 I believe it drew 73 players just for brawl.

Also Tech if you need any help I would be honored to extend my services to help you run this.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think pointing to an '08 regional for numbers is legit. We had 20-30 person locals back then.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
most guaranteed way to do that is by offering some sort of guaranteed prize that's larger than your typical local by itself.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Getting new MI players might be most effective through putting up fliers and stuff. And maybe either having a dedicated site for announcements or working something out with Rob to add a bit more Brawl info in umsmash.com's news entries.

Also, Rob: I think you should direct-link the Big MI Discussion Topic, maybe where you reference it in Resources.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Ohio doesn't travel regardless of size. The Columbus/Cinci/Indianapolis triangle is as far as they go.

Obviously there are exceptions, but I'm talking about the norm.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Host a tourney with a side tournament of new players only. Take 20% of the entry fee from new players in singles and give free entry to new players to the new players only event and use that set aside money for the prizes. New players could be defined as something like lives in MI and has never been to more than 3 tournaments. I think that'd alleviate a lot of the fear of going to a tournament the first couple times. Gives you tons of extra matches and guarantees you a chance at money against ppl who aren't going to be leagues above you.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Host a tourney with a side tournament of new players only. Take 20% of the entry fee from new players in singles and give free entry to new players to the new players only event and use that set aside money for the prizes. New players could be defined as something like lives in MI and has never been to more than 3 tournaments. I think that'd alleviate a lot of the fear of going to a tournament the first couple times. Gives you tons of extra matches and guarantees you a chance at money against ppl who aren't going to be leagues above you.

Yoo I like this idea, Ima win the side tourneys $$

:phone:

Top Bottom