• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Getting new MI players might be most effective through putting up fliers and stuff. And maybe either having a dedicated site for announcements or working something out with Rob to add a bit more Brawl info in umsmash.com's news entries.

Also, Rob: I think you should direct-link the Big MI Discussion Topic, maybe where you reference it in Resources.
Yeah, I definitely could do more with the website. I got a sneak peek at the Apex2012 site and it's pretty epic, so I'll definitely be stealing some ideas from there. I'd love to put up more Brawl stuff (there's currently almost nothing) but I don't have all the time in the world to update the site, and when I do, I'm gonna focus on Melee activities.

Right now it's kinda just me and Bowyer running the show at UMSmash.com, but I'm open to the idea of others having access to some administrative stuff. Brian and Derek come to mind... let me know if either of you are up to the task. The website has a ton of potential that we could really take advantage of.

PS Tony I will link to the Big MI thread under Resources, that's a good move.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
I wouldn't mind helping out with the website if needed. I have worked on projects like this in the past so it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary for me.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yeah, I definitely could do more with the website. I got a sneak peek at the Apex2012 site and it's pretty epic, so I'll definitely be stealing some ideas from there. I'd love to put up more Brawl stuff (there's currently almost nothing) but I don't have all the time in the world to update the site, and when I do, I'm gonna focus on Melee activities.

Right now it's kinda just me and Bowyer running the show at UMSmash.com, but I'm open to the idea of others having access to some administrative stuff. Brian and Derek come to mind... let me know if either of you are up to the task. The website has a ton of potential that we could really take advantage of.

PS Tony I will link to the Big MI thread under Resources, that's a good move.
Totally down for this idea. Ive worked with things like this before too. Betcha Kyle, Brian and I could do this no problem.

:phone:

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Sorry WTP not home at friends house watching Toy Story 3 (time to bust out tissue). But tomorrow for sure! and yes, Zyth OU = Oakland University

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Playing on a recording setup isn't a bad idea. I'm actually considering asking Rabbi if i could this Saturday.

ZTD | TECHnology

War Chest - Work in Progress.

For every event that I'm going to run, there will be an additional one dollar charge on top of the venue fee. This dollar will be added into a fund that will be controlled by me. The goal of this will be to facilitate the growth of our scene by:

Increasing Pots to hype larger events.
Offsetting the cost of going out of state.
Aiding OOS players to come to our events via incentives. [Travel stipends/side pots]

I will be the sole person with access to this money. This puts the accountability completely on me, and I will have public logs that will be maintained on where the money is going and what the total value of the fund is. It isn't too hard for someone to do the math of fact check me either, since $1 dollar per entry is relatively easy to prove.

I'm still ironing out the procedure to dealing with handing out money to players, but I believe the most fair way will be for everyone that enters a tournament, you gain one point. When it comes time to go out of state, everyone then is allowed place their points into what will amount to a random drawing. For every point you use, you gain an extra entry into the drawing for money.

Ways to gain points:

Enter a tournament.
Run a tournament.
Get power ranked in the top ten.

Rules

If you take money out of the Fund and win OOS, you must add money back into the fund.
If you win a pot sponsored with the Battle Chest money as an in-state player, you only receive half the value. The rest returns to the fund.
If you are currently winning the majority of money in the state [1st/2nd], you will not qualify for travel stipends in most cases. This fund is meant to help players that cannot generate money through Smash to travel.
If you are an OOS player that receives fund money to travel to the state, you must pay back into the fund [what you received] if you win excess of your total travel cost.
I [-Ran] will maintain a Public document with all transactions of the fund.

Examples:

Mario is going to drive out of state for a tournament six hours away. He gets together a car pool of four other players. Being Mario, he isn't that good. He uses his points and receives a travel stipends for his car pool of $25. He goes to the event, and no one places.
Meta Knight is an OOS player that is coming from Texas to a tournament. He's coming with his car pool of four other players. In order to help them get to the state, we offer them $25. It costs the car pool $75 to travel to the event. Meta Knight wins the tournament and makes $300. $5 is removed from the total amount rewarded to him. No one else places.
Meta Knight decides to come back to Denver with his clones. They are given $25 to aid in travel. The five of them enter the tournament, and win every event. In total, the $25 dollars is removed from their winnings [$5 from each].

I believe that tournament attendance should generate at least twenty-five dollars a month, if I am the only one that is running events in the state. Over the course of a year, this would generate a total of $300 to be used by our scene to make it larger and more competitive.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking of a system that wouldn't rely on being random, but for now I wanted to get the idea out.

This idea was created by Ran. I really like the overall concept so I wanted to see what people thought about this. He is using this in all of his events to draw money so he can facilitate traveling as well as add events to tournaments. The details are being worked out but its just a rough draft. Like he said, he doesnt like the point system but he just had to get the idea public so it could tweaked. What do people think about this? I think something kind of similar to this could benefit us.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Since I am actually bringing my wii to tournies now I'll be trying to get ahold of a sd card (after someone jacked mine during the 1st cafe tourny) and put infinite replay on my wii. I can then record the matches with my hd pvr when I get home and have time.

Tutu how come? Granted if roller gets the aa monthlies going it shouldn't mattter too much but I do like playing/chilling with you at tournies.

ZTD | TECHnology

Two, Marco and myself.

Three if Tech ever actually records like he says he always will.
When do I ever have the time to though <_< This weekend I should though since I wont be doing **** lol

I should be streaming.

Tech, I don't like that idea. As I stated before I'm not a big fan of smash welfare.
Well, I think Smash Welfare is actually needed here. What we've been doing before is not working. Plus its characteristic of rich people to not want to give to the poor

:awesome:

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
I'll record setups, I have an sd card and all that jazz so hopefully we will have most matches recorded. I think we really should make an effort to record and upload most matches. I know when I watched the one (and only lol) match of me against Tech it helped me significantly, you see things such as habits/bad spacing/etc. that you don't even realize when playing.

@Tech I like that idea, we could modify it as we see fit. Maybe money is tight for some people but I seriously doubt $1 is gonna kill anyone, you could literally walk outside the venue and find change in the street to use. Plus it'll help those who can't normally attend/go OoS for tournies.

What's The Point

Smash Master
How are ZeldaMaster10 and his three friends going to react to paying an extra dollar per tournament so you and others can go OoS for cheaper? Thinking it will encourage them to go OoS is naive.

The system benefits the veterans, including OoS veterans, when we need to do things that benefit the new comers.

Also, every tournament should be $5 from this point on.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I do think the $1 will annoy people since it is essentially a smash tax.

More importantly, $5 tournaments.

This is far more important than everything else.

$5, not $10.

Especially tournaments on Universities.

For money johns, this is by far the best solution.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman

$5, not $10.

I'm for that, isn't there some type of tourney has to be $10 for it to count toward national ranking though? or something like that. I mean obviously that wouldn't really effect me or anything, JW...

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
Speaking of recording... Rabbi, are you going to be able to put up me vs. Rayquaza and Lain, or are the videos too long? Sorry for constantly bugging you lol.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
who wants to mm this weekend?? I wanna play some people I've never played before!!

Why not do both then, for people who have to drive out from a long ways away (and win) a 5 dollar entry kind of hurts them. (L_Cancel and SK).

If we had some kind of 1 dollar gas fund, the cost of attendance still drops, without screwing over the people that have significant gas costs.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Yoooo so sf at my house tomorrow, what time does everyone want it to start at? I'm going to be free pretty much all day. I'm thinking between 9/10 and going till 2/3 thoughts?

ZTD | TECHnology

How are ZeldaMaster10 and his three friends going to react to paying an extra dollar per tournament so you and others can go OoS for cheaper? Thinking it will encourage them to go OoS is naive.

The system benefits the veterans, including OoS veterans, when we need to do things that benefit the new comers.

Also, every tournament should be $5 from this point on.
You're assuming the only thing that money will be used for is traveling. The money could be put towards FREE side events and other things. It doesnt just have to be traveling.

I do think the $1 will annoy people since it is essentially a smash tax.

$5, not $10.

I agree with $5 tournaments. Its just that when we have people who travel far it screws them also.

Why not do both then, for people who have to drive out from a long ways away (and win) a 5 dollar entry kind of hurts them. (L_Cancel and SK).

If we had some kind of 1 dollar gas fund, the cost of attendance still drops, without screwing over the people that have significant gas costs.
I agree with this.

Yoooo so sf at my house tomorrow, what time does everyone want it to start at? I'm going to be free pretty much all day. I'm thinking between 9/10 and going till 2/3 thoughts?

I'm free after 9:30. Gifts and I will make an appearance. Maybe Jon too?

What's The Point

Smash Master
You're assuming the only thing that money will be used for is traveling. The money could be put towards FREE side events and other things. It doesnt just have to be traveling.
I still don't like it.

A big reason is that MI should be trying to cultivate an essentially new scene right now. Extra smash tax to help the community seems like something that should only happen after a good community already exists.

Also, a side event isn't really free when the money comes from players.

I agree with $5 tournaments. Its just that when we have people who travel far it screws them also.
It "screws" people who travel far and win. It benefits people who travel far and don't win.

I say "screws" because it's still $10 cheaper overall, and going to a tournament expecting to make money is a poor choice.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
I'm free after 9:30. Gifts and I will make an appearance. Maybe Jon too?
Yeah I think I'm chillin' with Marco tomorrow, so pretty sure we'll be attending said sf

And I still think $1 is not a big deal. What is wrong with $5 entry fee and $1 'smash tax'?

It will still be cheaper then $10 entry fee AND we can 'raise revenues' for other things, I think $16 ($5 for singles, $5 for doubles, $5 for venue, and $1 'smash tax') is better then $25 ($5 venue, $10 singles, $10 doubles)

Also if you're so worried about the 'tax' driving away people, what if we saved enough then one tourney we could have free singles entry for new players. That would bring in more people, you could do a number of things with the money to improve the scene.

Top Bottom