• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
Moose: "im going to get better and win the next one" HOW CUTE!!

yo dingdong beat anther that tourney? ****.

Mostly getting more people playing will start at universities obviously, so I leave it in rollers hands to get more people ;) jon and I will do our best at msu. Fzk is too old, he probably has back problems and cant walk around campus anymore <3 He could be our wise man. The smashers will seek to him for elder wisdom, but only get a "back in my day..." story in return

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
lol I was so proud of myself for getting 9th at that one XD And it was the first time I played Ally. I was starstruck. Lmao.

And I do like SCOTU's idea but Im not sure how much the higher level players will. I do like it though. We need to really cater to our new players more so we don't lose them.

Plus, I wouldn't mind sitting down and teaching new players stuff. I'd like to think I've helped out Jon and Gifts a bit at least.

What's The Point

Smash Master
If I am at a tournament, I will donate $20 for an Amateur Bracket prize. Despite the whole "Sandbag in pools, win amateur bracket" idea, people tend to not do it, and if they are that scrub they will lose anyway.

Also, amateur brackets should always be free. And you have to enter the actual tournament to get it.

Basically the new entrant thing but with something that already exists.

And I do like SCOTU's idea but Im not sure how much the higher level players will. I do like it though. We need to really cater to our new players more so we don't lose them.
**** top players. They aren't important.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You guys have a PR now, right? Disallow anyone who is either PR'd, or has made it to bracket in the previous event (that he or she entered), to enter amateur brackets. That way the average Hot_ArmS can only exploit amateur brackets at every other tournament he actually enters.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
yooo whats wrong with an amateur bracket idea for those who dont make it out of pools? Everyone will enter the same tourney, but say we have 32 entrants, unrealistic I know. top 16 go top the pro bracket and bottom 16 go to amateur. I dont see how anybody can be unhappy that way. I would donate money to that too

What's The Point

Smash Master
Slightly more realistic, think 22 people.

16 man Singles Bracket, meaning the Amateur needs to draw from Singles. 7th and down or so can enter Amateur.

Or 8 man bracket, and people who don't get out of pools can enter Amateur.

Veterans probably won't prefer the latter, but I do. Waiting for Singles bracket to advance to the point where it fills an Amateur bracket gives a lot of time for new comers to leave. If done directly after pools, the Amateur people have something to do right away.

fZk

Smash Lord
Moose: "im going to get better and win the next one" HOW CUTE!!

yo dingdong beat anther that tourney? ****.

Mostly getting more people playing will start at universities obviously, so I leave it in rollers hands to get more people ;) jon and I will do our best at msu. Fzk is too old, he probably has back problems and cant walk around campus anymore <3 He could be our wise man. The smashers will seek to him for elder wisdom, but only get a "back in my day..." story in return
I'm not to old to give you a beatdown ya punk. And stay out of my lawn!!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
what's to not like for the high level players? It takes only 20% of the entry fee of the new players, meaning $1 for each new entrant at a $5 tourney or $2 / new entrant at a $10 tourney. This also means that if you maintain a 4:1 ratio of actually bringing in new players to having new players stick around, then theres actually more money in the pot for the high level players. Furthermore, after 3 tourneys if the new player keep coming (they liked it enough to go to 3 tourneys, they'll probably keep going), that money is no longer lost to the high level players and any new players that go to more than 3 are just a fully converted new pot-stuffer (from the view point of the top players).

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Once we get more people use that basically free venue. take all the venue fees left over and put that away so you can save it for the pot bonus of the regional your going to try to make. If OH is still too Lazy to travel for that then o well more $ for us

and they say they are trying to help connect the MW psh

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243513

The largest tournament aside from GSS I have ever attended in MI.

I think.

lol

I miss the old days!!

Also Ohio sucks.
Yooo no one should ever forget this, I believe I still have the record for most Brawl entrants lol (53)

But yeah I like the idea of an amateur bracket. It is probably a great way to keep new players around. But how to pay out the amateur bracket would be odd. I kinda like what WTP and Scotu were suggesting.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Amateur brackets are kind of a tricky thing to do right. I've always kind of felt that if I ran a tourney with an Am bracket I wouldn't pay out to them. Instead I'd reseed the highest placers into the normal bracket somewhere (probably mid-losers). That method takes a bit more time to run, but solves problems about people just trying to abuse it for money. Hell, I wouldn't mind doing this sort of Am bracket at a tournament alongside the new player only event I proposed. Drop doubles if you need more time to do it. Takes too much time and only vets like it anyways.

As a side note: both of these schemes actually only work if new players even have a way of finding out about the events in the first place.

edit: also I counter Ori's WB3 with a LoLiS I

zyth

Smash Lord
the amateur bracket would probably work for the tournies if it wasnt for the fact that its rare there are over 20 ppl goin to one now. BAMF 2 had enough all together for an amateur bracket but i think thats the only one in a while that has had that many people come.

What's The Point

Smash Master
As a side note: both of these schemes actually only work if new players even have a way of finding out about the events in the first place.
I was thinking about that. The issue is that the biggest form of advertisement are flyers.

So just put "Amateur Bracket" on flyers and hope people figure it out?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Here, just do MLG's format for Starcraft 2

Top X (where X is a multiple of 4) players get put into a set of championship pools
Top 4 from open bracket each get placed into the four championship pools
Seed brackets LIKE A BOSS
1 from each pool is in winners' semifinals
2 from each pool is in losers' quarterfinals
3 from each pool etc.
etc. etc.

lmao what a complicated format.

ZTD | TECHnology

Make flyers and mention an Amatuer Bracket with a brief description so that people get that they wont be getting ***** by the veterans. Honestly, Detroit area has a lot of people who play and go to little local game store events. Plus I have connections here anyway. I could work something out.

Could also go to a local store that has these events and talk with the owner and be like: "I'd like to rent the place today so I can have Workshop for new players" Get some of your more experienced/known players to attend and teach people. Have then pay a low price or even make it free for the first event. Have a mini tourney or something. Then if they're truly interested they'll come back for future evnts.

We have options. I mean honestly I'm sure everyone has like that one friend that has been thinking about playing Smash competitively but scared about it. If everyone could just introduce one friend wed be golden. Or if we all personally worked with someone like how I did for Gifts and how Lain did for Gio then we'd have more motivated people.
:phone:

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
I'm going to be trying something like that with a bunch of my friends in a couple weeks but I have to get set up with it first. If it all goes well I might want some of the people here to show up as well to help people get better(Brawl and Melee)

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
edit: also I counter Ori's WB3 with a LoLiS I
Sir, I still ousted you by 9 entrants >
:3
Make flyers and mention an Amatuer Bracket with a brief description so that people get that they wont be getting ***** by the veterans. Honestly, Detroit area has a lot of people who play and go to little local game store events. Plus I have connections here anyway. I could work something out.

Could also go to a local store that has these events and talk with the owner and be like: "I'd like to rent the place today so I can have Workshop for new players" Get some of your more experienced/known players to attend and teach people. Have then pay a low price or even make it free for the first event. Have a mini tourney or something. Then if they're truly interested they'll come back for future evnts.

We have options. I mean honestly I'm sure everyone has like that one friend that has been thinking about playing Smash competitively but scared about it. If everyone could just introduce one friend wed be golden. Or if we all personally worked with someone like how I did for Gifts and how Lain did for Gio then we'd have more motivated people.
I like the idea of flyers, especially for you all up at State and U of M. This si how you guys should be targeting players. I guess Gifts and I could do some work at OU and talk with the Gamers Guild (its like OU's gamers club). Advertise to them about tourneys etc.

But I like the idea of mentoring. It sucks for me because out of all my friends, when brawl came out 6 of us played brawl competitively, the only one left is me ;~;

my friends have no strive to get better or go to tourneys so I really have no real practice buddies, except for Boxxy when he wants to enter into dubs the week before and Marco, but marco is busy with the wifey and when we do hang he gets sucked into the low skilled doubles with team attack off etc.

ZTD | TECHnology

I would introduce friends into it but

1. I'm older than a majority of you and finding people in my age group that actually want to sit down and play this seriously is hard since Smash is considerd "kiddy".

2. I got way better than all my friends and they're like "No, **** you"

3. I have isolated myself from the outside world anyway. All I need is my alcohol and King Dedede.

:bee:

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
If we do get new people we gotta do everything we can to KEEP new people. Invite them to smash fests, tell them to go on smashboards, ask for their phone numbers, keep in touch. I think this is MIs biggest problem, we might draw locals or randoms every now and then, but we never keep them.

And amateur bracket is a good idea, it gives incentive for them to keep coming to tournies.

Also fZk, are you still in EL?

Roller

Smash Legend
So I'm thinking about starting monthlies in AA at somepoint this coming semester. Thinking of names..

idea 1)

F.U.C.K. O.S.U.
Fun Uncompromising Colossal Kombat Outing Sit Up

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Any chance that I could spend the night at your place Tuesday? I have job training and probably won't have a way to get home 'til Wednesday morning.

Top Bottom