• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
>Teases from Activision of new masks through CTR trailers.
>Credible insiders and leakers alike are suggesting a new game is coming.
>Canadian Guy Eh leaving a "zipped mouth" emoji, which he does whenever he hears of something.
>New puzzle that shows off a never before seen mask.
>Activision is going to be present at the developer's showcase next week.

372ihb.png

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
>Canadian Guy Eh leaving a "zipped mouth" emoji, which he does whenever he hears of something.

View attachment 275189
New game is definitely inbound. Now we'll have to see if Cash Banooca will join the fight and "Smash Brandi's Cooch".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

View attachment 275189
Seeing how weekend announcements are unlikely from Activision, signs definitely point towards Monday the 22nd. It's the only fitting place left to reveal it.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Seeing how weekend announcements are unlikely from Activision, signs definitely point towards Monday the 22nd. It's the only fitting place left to reveal it.

FREAKIN' SHINOBI?!?!?!?! Ohhh hohoho. It's time boys.

So, guys, just imagine; the N64 Super Smash Bros. commercial, but it's with Mario, Sonic, Pac Man, AND Crash. :2gud:

Also, this idea just clicked on me a bit ago. I saw that apparently a jigsaw puzzle box was sent to a number of Crash fans (correct)? The puzzle when complete shows a never before seen mask but, c'mon; it's a mask along the same lines of those seen in Crash Bandicoot (Aku Aku). HOWEVER, what clicked from the thought was the fact that... it's a puzzle, a JIGSAW puzzle. :eek: Now, this of course is going into tinfoil-hat-theory territory but... what if the "mask"-themed jigsaw puzzle is a hint not just to a brand new Crash Bandicoot game announcement, but also of Crash being announced for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? Reason why I jump on this is because;

Jigsaw puzzle --> Jiggy --> Banjo & Kazooie
On Nintendo's E3 2019 Direct, as soon as the Jiggy bounced across the floor while DK, Diddy, and K. Rool were sleeping, everyone KNEW the bear and bird were IN.

Seeing now the mask-themed puzzle, my mind went;

Mask-themed jigsaw puzzle (hard hinting to Crash news) --> Mask + jigsaw (or Jiggy) --> Crash Bandicoot invited to Smash (the Jiggy representing Banjo & Kazooie)

Enough of me and my theories tho. Time to moderately but steadily get hyped.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I've shown it here before months ago, But for those who haven't seen it, Here is a commercial from Sony just promoting the Playstation brand showing off 1st party and 3rd party characters/franchises and at (00:11) we can see what looks to be that same mask (I think) from the puzzle accompanying Crash and Co.

Side Note: Great to see "Classic" Crash Bandicoot (Alongside Coco and Cortex) being shown off as a prominent IP in Sony's advertisements just like back in the original Playstation era during the late 90's.

Easily the best and most nostalgic moment in this trailer.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've shown it hear before months ago, But for those who haven't seen it, Here is a commercial from Sony just promoting the Playstation brand showing off 1st party and 3rd party characters/franchises and at (00:11) we can see what looks to be that same mask from the puzzle accompanying Crash and Co.

Side Note: Great to see "Classic" Crash Bandicoot (Alongside Coco and Cortex) being shown off as a prominent IP in Sony's advertisements just like back in the original Playstation era during the late 90's.

Easily the best moment in this trailer.
Imagine the irony if the next Crash Bandicoot game is in a Nintendo Direct.
I'm 80% sure that we'll have a Direct on the 24th that reveals Spring Man for Smash and the mystery Pokémon project.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Imagine the irony if the next Crash Bandicoot game is in a Nintendo Direct.
I'm 80% sure that we'll have a Direct on the 24th that reveals Spring Man for Smash and the mystery Pokémon project.
The thing on the 24th is confirmed to be another Pokemon presents, not a direct.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The thing on the 24th is confirmed to be another Pokemon presents, not a direct.
If that's true, than that's the dumbest thing I ever heard.
But this IS The Pokémon Company that cut out half of all Pokémon, rushed out a AAA game in a year, and gave their first console mainline Pokémon game worse graphics and animations than Pokémon Battle Revolution on the Wii.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It's done by the Pokemon Company, right? And the Pokemon Company is separate from Nintendo, is it not?
Basically. The pokemon company almost always do things on their own. their own presentations and reveals. directs useally just follow up on what a pokemon announcment already said

If that's true, than that's the dumbest thing I ever heard.
But this IS The Pokémon Company that cut out half of all Pokémon, rushed out a AAA game in a year, and gave their first console mainline Pokémon game worse graphics and animations than Pokémon Battle Revolution on the Wii.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Basically. The pokemon company almost always do things on their own. their own presentations and reveals. directs useally just follow up on what a pokemon announcment already said
Then maybe there is a chance that this Pokemon Presents thing won't interfere with a possible Nintendo Direct, or Smash Direct next week? I mean, I may be hopeful too much here, considering that Famitsu article with what Sakurai said about working at home and all.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Omg... it is finally revealed but... dang... would've been hyped to have it officially revealed. I'm still cautious to the fact that they do not mention a Switch version but, I believe it may be announced soon as well. Looking at the box art, it would seem that there's a new Crash render (fitting for SSBU).

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Question. Is the Switch officially released in Taiwan. Cause if not, then that could explain the lack of a Switch version.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Here's your new Game:

I decided to run the box art through the image upscaler to give us a closer look at what's going on here

1592539771045.png

So it would seem Crash's redesign consists of the following:
Smaller eyes, bigger ears, the flesh tone of his muzzle is now the same orange as his belly fur, wilder hair, and his brows and nose aren't straight black anymore.

Honestly I'm down for this. It's not a radical departure but JUST different enough. I'd be cool if this was the look they ran with for Smash

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Looking at the box art again, the title makes so much sense both lore-wise, and Smash-wise. Lore-wise because...
At the end of Crash Bandicoot 3, clearing the game with 100% completion rate, you get the true ending showing what happened to Neo Cortex; where he is warped back in time to what seems to be the prehistoric era, and Neo Cortex as a baby.

Smash-wise because the title could pretty much be modified to "Crash Bandicoot 4 (interpreted as "for") Smash", or the part that says "It's About Time" implying that "It's About Time Crash got into Smash", or that part could be used for the splash screen upon reveal.

Dang, it would make it all seem so well thought out, from a marketing standpoint. :eek:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I decided to run the box art through the image upscaler to give us a closer look at what's going on here

View attachment 275271

So it would seem Crash's redesign consists of the following:
Smaller eyes, bigger ears, the flesh tone of his muzzle is now the same orange as his belly fur, wilder hair, and his brows and nose aren't straight black anymore.

Honestly I'm down for this. It's not a radical departure but JUST different enough. I'd be cool if this was the look they ran with for Smash
The new design looks cool... except for the nose. I don't know why, but Crash's nose being a different color other than black (at least on this design) just looks weird to me. If he gets into Smash, I wouldn't mind if they used this design but changed the nose color back.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
So is Toys for Bob doing this one and not Vicarious Visions? Because I don’t see their logo on the cover.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
More than ever, i'm hoping Crash gets in to Smash.

Also hoping this new game lands on the Switch. I skipped out on the remakes because I own the originals so this would be my first Crash game since Twinsanity.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Looks like both Crash and Coco are playable, like that leak said. Love their renders. Hopefully both look like this in smash

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Here's your new Game:

Woah !!!... kind of unreal to see that 4 next to the title seeing how Warped came out all the way back in 1998.

I'm really digging the new look for Crash and Coco and I'm really curious to see what direction they are taking the franchise.

A little disappointed that "Toys for Bob" is developing it and not "Vicarious Visions" (Yes I know their doing Tony Hawk), But seeing how they originally brought back Crash with "N.Sane Trilogy" and have the most experience with the IP, I wanted them to lead and take charge of the franchise, Hopefully they had some input or help co-develop this game.

Plus I always thought it was weird and lame developer name, Vicarious Visions sounds way more cooler.

A small thing I always loved about the Crash Bandicoot games was hearing the announcer say the publisher, developer and title screen.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Woah !!!... kind of unreal to see that 4 next to the title seeing how Warped came out back 1998.

I'm really digging the new look for Crash and Coco and I'm really curious to see what direction they are taking the franchise.

A little disappointed that "Toys for Bob" is developing it and not "Vicarious Visions" (Yes I know their doing Tony Hawk), But seeing how they originally brought back Crash with "N.Sane Trilogy" and have the most experience with the IP, I wanted them to lead and take charge of the franchise, Hopefully they had input or co-development in this game.

Plus I always thought it was weird and tame developer name, Vicarious Visions sounds way more cooler.

A small thing I always loved about the Crash Bandicoot games was hearing the announcer say the publisher, developer and title screen.
I hope Coco has a big role, though with her almost as big as crash on the box art its probably the case.

Toys for bob did a great job with Spyro, so I say the series is in good hands

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Sad news is here though. Seems like no Switch version (at least at launch). Hopefully we'll get it eventually like the Crash and Spyro trilogies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sad news is here though. Seems like no Switch version (at least at launch). Hopefully we'll get it eventually like the Crash and Spyro trilogies.
I would prefer a switch version myself but if the game is good i'll get it on PS4.

And before people start freaking out this does not hurt his smash chances. Joker wasn't on switch till.... hes still not on switch other then that spin off huh?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Don't usually post in this thread, but HOO BOY NEW CRASH GAME! I'm somewhat disappointed by it seemingly being only PS4 and Xbox only at first. I do have an Xbox so I could play it at launch if I really wanted, but I have been trying to focus more on the Switch and my gaming PC, so...I don't know.

Oh, and Crash getting into Smash would be pretty neat and all. But of course not everything that happens in gaming relates to Smash, so we'll see.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
A new Crash game is really exciting, hopefully the 4 in the title doesn't mean that they'd skip on a Twinsanity remaster because that would have so much potential to fix some of the problems that held that game back in being one of the greats

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Please don't be another Sonic 4.
It wasn't a terrible game, but the 4 in the title made expectations way too high.
Now Mania is considered the "proper" Sonic 4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As expected, Activision has the anti-leak security of wet paper tissue.

Still though, that title is A+.

A new Crash game is really exciting, hopefully the 4 in the title doesn't mean that they'd skip on a Twinsanity remaster because that would have so much potential to fix some of the problems that held that game back in being one of the greats
With any reboot or reimagining, it is still possible to use older elements in new contexts, so long as they're modified adequately enough to fit in without any issue (like having Dr. Nefarious in Ratchet & Clank 2016).

The only question is what characters they'll use in this one besides Crash, Coco, Cortex and madame mystery mask and her friends.

Also, I find it hilarious that both this and the latest Ratchet & Clank are about rifts.

Oh, and also also:

Last edited:
Top Bottom