• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Well the last time new merchandise for a character appeared in June and they didn't get a game announced, they then ended up in Smash.

Fingers crossed Crash has the same luck as Banjo.

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
For me, this showcase was an 8/10, the games they showed were mostly great, but no Crash and no price hurt it a little bit for me.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Still, the PS5 looked very cool itself. It has a futuristic look to it, and it has some games I may be getting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well the last time new merchandise for a character appeared in June and they didn't get a game announced, they then ended up in Smash.

The oddest thing is that we still hear almost nothing about the next mainline Crash game, but get leak after leak of side stuff.

Something big might be coming.

Still, the PS5 looked very cool itself. It has a futuristic look to it, and it has some games I may be getting.
The most interesting part to me was the fact that it'll get a model dedicated solely to digital games. That's one big leap forward.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact they didn't showcase a new Crash game basically cements the fact the next game is more than likely multiplatform.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Crash is looking super likely right now. I've never actively supported him, but he's always been a character I thought would be a great addition. I'm both hoping and thinking that you guys will get your character!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Crash is looking super likely right now. I've never actively supported him, but he's always been a character I thought would be a great addition. I'm both hoping and thinking that you guys will get your character!
I think either him or Geno is the next character after the Arms rep.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I get the feeling we're getting both Geno and Crash going by the evidence supporting both

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I get the feeling we're getting both Geno and Crash going by the evidence supporting both
Absolutely. But not at the same time though. It would be insane if they were both announced together, but I don't see it happening. Maybe they will get announced back to back which I could see happening.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At any rate, today's presentation for the PS5 certainly has given Crash a much stronger overall chance to be included in Smash

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Crash would be super cool imo.

He's probably the last huge cartoon mascot left.

Barring Spyro, but I'd argue Crash is much bigger than Spyro.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Crash would be super cool imo.

He's probably the last huge cartoon mascot left.

Barring Spyro, but I'd argue Crash is much bigger than Spyro.
Crash would sell the second fighter pass. There is no way he would be a poorly received addition from a reveal standpoint

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wouldn't that run the risk of people accusing Nintendo of shilling? It happened with Hero...
I think they won't give a hoot because it's Crash Bandicoot. you see people using Relevance and games coming out for other characters and there really isn't that much hate around them (characters like Travis for example).

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think they would accuse Nintendo of shilling Crash Bandicoot of all characters. You'd be hard pressed to find many that would object to his inclusion

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Wouldn't that run the risk of people accusing Nintendo of shilling? It happened with Hero...
People barely cared about Hero because Dragon Quest is a legendary series that was already a big request in Japan, so their inclusion felt earned. Crash getting in would feel earned due to his place in gaming history, his rivalry with Mario and Sonic, and he's a big request. Him having a new game to go with it would be icing on the cake

A "shill pick" is when the character's inclusion doesn't feel earned and is only there to be a commercial. Like Corrin, who's game wasn't even out in the US at the time, and ended up being a divisive title within the Fire Emblem fandom and a generally disliked character in and out of said fandom. Not many people complained about Lucina and Robin in Smash 4, or Chrom getting a redemption in Ultimate because that particular game had years out on the market to foster a love and appreciation, and Chrom not being in Smash 4 was a big deal back then and everyone loves a comeback story. They felt earned.

Byleth's game was only a few months old, it was a let-down after a very long wait, and the fact that they outright joked about the 'swordsmen' critique is proof that they knew the fanbase dislikes the disproportionate amount of FE characters on the roster, but they did it anyway just to make Byleth a Three Houses billboard. Not to mention the double-standard that apparently Rex was "too new" to join the roster yet Three Houses wasn't even done being developed when they decided to throw Byleth in.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
What if they didn’t reveal the next Crash today because it’s being revealed in the next Direct along with Crash in Smash?
While not impossible, I highly doubt it, Sony knows how heavily Crash Bandicoot is associated with their Playstation brand despite being multiplatform and because how well the PS4 did this generation, They kind of have a deal with Activision to have exclusive or timed content on their platform first.

Activision and many other big companies go to the platform with the bigger customer base, Activision does this with Call of Duty and had deals with Microsoft during the PS3/Xbox 360 because it was the more popular than the PS3 most of the generation. Sony flipped the tables this time around as PS4 is far away the market leader and has made deals with not just COD, But snagged N. Sane Trilogy time exclusivity and retro skins and track for Nitro Fueled.

Bottom Line: While Crash Bandicoot has appeared in Nintendo consoles before, He was never pushed to the forefront with some exclusive deal or promotion between Nintendo and Activision, Ever since Crash's comeback Sony and Activision have done multiple deals regarding the franchise even having him appear in Playstation brand commercials and advertisements.

The good news is that at the end of the day Crash Bandicoot is a 3rd Party character and has good shot as any to join Smash, But don't expect his next game to debut in a Nintendo direct/presentation alongside Smash, Chances are either Activision will drop the new game in a random trailer or Sony will have 1st dibs to unveil it in a future presentation like PSX or something just like what they did with N.Sane Trilogy. Crash's Smash debut and the next mainline game are very likely to happen in separate events.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sony's event seemed tailored to consol exclusives, hence the main reason why the crash game isn't there. Crash sold like hot cakes on the switch, so they are no doubt going multiplatform

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I really doubt it, people want a new Crash game with the spirit of the old ones, they have for years and Crash coming alongside that would probably enhance the hype. Smash does advertise all sorts of series after all - so many people have gotten into Earthbound, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade etc. from Smash.

Even if some people do say that, there are worse things than your main being called a shill (laughs in Byleth).

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Looking forward to the new Horizons, Ratchet and Clank, and Spiderman games! I'll get a PS5 sometime next year.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
No guarantee of this, but an upcoming Crash game having a simultaneous release on all consoles makes more sense to me than even a timed exclusive for Playstation. With just Nintendo alone there's a strong association with platformers and with the crazy numbers the Switch is doing as of late, I can easily see Activision wanting to strike while the iron's hot in that regard.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No guarantee of this, but an upcoming Crash game having a simultaneous release on all consoles makes more sense to me than even a timed exclusive for Playstation. With just Nintendo alone there's a strong association with platformers and with the crazy numbers the Switch is doing as of late, I can easily see Activision wanting to strike while the iron's hot in that regard.
Hell, VV even wanted to put out a Switch version of N. Sane Trilogy because "we could pull it off, so why not?". Also, one last chance to give PS4 users a bone, just in case they aren't fully ready to commit to a PS5 just yet.

Finally, note how Activision has recently shifted towards standalone announcements. Tony Hawk is only the start.

I really doubt it, people want a new Crash game with the spirit of the old ones, they have for years and Crash coming alongside that would probably enhance the hype. Smash does advertise all sorts of series after all - so many people have gotten into Earthbound, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade etc. from Smash.

Even if some people do say that, there are worse things than your main being called a shill (laughs in Byleth).
Also, double standards. Western supporters generally won't care about a character being promotional if it's one that they wanted all along.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Also, double standards. Western supporters generally won't care about a character being promotional if it's one that they wanted all along.
That’s kind of the point. Characters that had nothing to do with fan demand and got in whilst people were already tired of the number of Fire Emblem characters present were always going to get a lot of hate. The only reason:ultchrom: got much of a free pass was because he specifically got in as a bonus fanservice Echo Fighter that was revealed in the same presentation as four other characters, two of which were huge hype-bringers, advantages that :ultcorrin::ultbyleth: didn’t have. :ultrobin: Got strong reception because at the time, he was seen as something fresh and diverse to the Fire Emblem roster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, at which day do you lot expect Crash news of any sort to be announced?

That’s kind of the point. Characters that had nothing to do with fan demand and got in whilst people were already tired of the number of Fire Emblem characters present were always going to get a lot of hate. The only reason:ultchrom: got much of a free pass was because he specifically got in as a bonus fanservice Echo Fighter that was revealed in the same presentation as four other characters, two of which were huge hype-bringers, advantages that :ultcorrin::ultbyleth: didn’t have. :ultrobin: Got strong reception because at the time, he was seen as something fresh and diverse to the Fire Emblem roster.
From this point onwards, it'll get increasingly difficult to justify adding FE main characters if they don't have a gimmick to make them stand out. The only reason :ultbyleth: was allowed was by Sak giving them the relics, otherwise their canon abilities are not especially standout, something that even FE fans admitted (even with the whip-sword). So Intelligent Systems will need to get their arses in gear when the time comes for the next non-remake entry.

Granted, it was a cumulative effect anyway, especially considering how Awakening was expected to be the end of the series prior to Smash 4 DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of the FE characters are missing in the next smash.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So, at which day do you lot expect Crash news of any sort to be announced?

From this point onwards, it'll get increasingly difficult to justify adding FE main characters if they don't have a gimmick to make them stand out. The only reason :ultbyleth: was allowed was by Sak giving them the relics, otherwise their canon abilities are not especially standout, something that even FE fans admitted. So Intelligent Systems will need to get their arses in gear when the time comes for the next non-remake entry.

Granted, it was a cumulative effect anyway, especially considering how Awakening was expected to be the end of the series prior to Smash 4 DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of the FE characters are missing in the next smash.
I dont know. I dont think we should expect news on the weekend, so 9f not today, sometime next week.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dont know. I dont think we should expect news on the weekend, so 9f not today, sometime next week.
Yeah, I don't see Acti as the type to announce anything on a weekend. If anything, they tend more towards dropping important news on Thursdays.

Granted, the Tony Hawk compilation was announced on a Tuesday, but still...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given how every third party character DLC had stage cameos so far, how many stage cameos/hazards would you expect to come with Crash at bare minimum?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Given how every third party character DLC had stage cameos so far, how many stage cameos/hazards would you expect to come with Crash at bare minimum?
I think Aku aku and Neo Cortex for sure. If Coco isnt an alt(and she should be) then she will be on the stage. Otherwise maybe a few other characters. Tawna maybe if she is ok with the japanese rating board.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think Aku aku and Neo Cortex for sure. If Coco isnt an alt(and she should be) then she will be on the stage. Otherwise maybe a few other characters. Tawna maybe if she is ok with the japanese rating board.
Tawna's current design from the N. Sane trilogy should be fine

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we are going to get a Crash fighter reveal, it's likely that it would have to be on the very same day that the new Crash game gets announced, considering how Activision would want as many eyes on the new game as possible. No better way to do that than Smash.

Tawna's current design from the N. Sane trilogy should be fine
Yeah, no kidding. The rest of the Nitro Squad in particular was redesigned to the point where it seemed like a countermeasure to make sure that CERO wouldn't rate the recent games too high (though really mostly just to fit Californian standards nowadays, since Sony's US branch is stationed there, IIRC).

Apart from that, I'd expect 10 characters at least. Given how many new models Nitro-Fueled provided, I wouldn't be surprised if we get more than that as stage cameos.

Last edited:

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
Now, I personally don't think this will happen but I'm curious to see what you al think of this.

If we get Crash, do you guys think we get a Spyro cameo on his stage?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

I think the difference here is that Banjo hasn't had a new game in over a decade, so the new merchandise from Microsoft all of a sudden was pretty significant, especially among the Banjo rumors for Smash around the same time. Crash, on the other hand, is relevant and Activision is still doing things with Crash.

I think Crash has a great shot too, but I don't think this is a tease for Smash as it is moreso a tease at a new Crash game.

Top Bottom