• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Not only that, but literally almost every video game system ever would have their mascots in the roster excluding some early 90s consoles like Bonk for the TurboGrafx-16 and whoever is consider the mascots for the Atari Jaguar and 3DO. CDI doesn't count.
Its most iconic characters of Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are already in the game anyway :p

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It wasn't even Naughty Dog making the games anymore after CTR when Melee came out. Universal was juggling the IP-starting with Crash Bash, Cash Banooca's last PS1 game-in hopes of hitting the same sweet spot that Naughty Dog did with their four Crash games. In other words, Universal were milking Crash like a cow after Crash Bash and Wrath of Cortex.

TL;DR Crash totally would've been in Melee for the sake of promoting Wrath of Cortex, and Crash Bandicoot in general.
Really interesting concept you mentioned with WoC here. Especially with Crash aiming multi platform at the time being

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
But wasn't Naughty Dog owned by Sony when Melee came out? Correct me if I'm wrong.
At the time, While Crash Bandicoot was in a 3-Way partnership with Sony, Naughty Dog and Universal Interactive, At the end of the day the IP has always belong to Universal since Day 1.

Crash Team Racing (1999) was Naughty Dog's last game for the franchise, I assume their contract with Universal was up and then for whatever reason Sony and Universal got together with Eurocom/Cerny Games for Crash Bash (2000) the last Crash Bandicoot game for the original Playstation while Naughty Dog moved on to PS2 development.

Sony bought out Naughty Dog in 2001 and while Crash Bandicoot is heavily associated with Sony's Playstation brand, I assume Universal thought that a big brand and IP like Crash would sell like hotcakes going multiplatform and of course decided to go that direction, But the quality and the sales of the franchise also declined.

Banjo-Kazooie missed out on Melee and he was owned by Nintendo, But despite Rareware being under the Nintendo umbrella, Sakurai stated that he would have still been difficult because of the language barrier and Rare being a western studio in the UK, If someone like Banjo couldn't have made it in, I kind of doubt Crash would have had a shot either.

Sonic the Hedgehog was also Mario's main rival and had the advantage of being owned by Sega another Japanese company which would have made communication much easier, Grant it who knows what was Sega feelings and relationship with Nintendo back in 2001 seeing how they had to "Tap Out" of the console wars.

I imagine Crash would be in the same circumstance as Sonic, But much more unlikely at the time since just like Banjo-Kazooie he was a western character and despite going 3rd Party at the time, We don't know how closely Nintendo was willing to work with Universal considering how they were working very closely with the enemy that is Sony.

Luckily for us Crash is back and his chances are as good as any and better than ever to join Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Not only that, but literally almost every video game system ever would have their mascots in the roster excluding some early 90s consoles like Bonk for the TurboGrafx-16 and whoever is consider the mascots for the Atari Jaguar and 3DO. CDI doesn't count.
I’d say you’d need Ratchet & Kratos for the PS2/PS3/PS4.

I'm honestly shocked Crash wasn't such a more highly requested character until Ultimate, especially after Sonic got included after Brawl. And I'm honestly shocked Crash hasn't gotten included yet considering he was one of the three major gaming system mascots of the 90's to represent the PlayStation 1, just like how Mario represented Nintendo and Sonic represented the Genesis. I mean, just look at this magazine:

View attachment 274203

Crash makes better sense then ever right now and even though I'm not too confident in his chances, him being in Smash would truly make this the Ultimate Smash game AND finally getting the opportunity for Mario, Sonic and Crash to be able to duke it out in the same video game just sounds like a childhood dream come true. :)
I don’t think he was requested that much because we were still unsure of how crazy they could truly get with third parties. I think Joker & Banjo proved that the sky was the limit.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That'd be perfect, cuz those 2 series are literally the only ones that appeared on 3 Sony systems besides Gran Turino, and they're likely to be on PS5. They're Sony's longest running series and appeared on most of their platforms; they represent Playstation as a whole.

D

Deleted member

Well, looks like the new game will get revealed sooner than I expected:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Potential new Crash game announcement which could lead to Crash being announced soon after (via Nintendo) as one of the DLC Fighters in Vol. 2?!!:eek: LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:2gud:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

I don’t think he was requested that much because we were still unsure of how crazy they could truly get with third parties. I think Joker & Banjo proved that the sky was the limit.
Yeah agreed. Either way, I am seriously hoping for Crash and I will be devastated if he doesn't get included.

D

Deleted member

I suppose the new Crash game will get announced either at the PS5 event or the PC Gaming thing.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully there won't be some kind of exclusivity deal. I want it on my Switch lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

TheGamingRevolution brought up Crash yesterday. You never know...

Hopefully there won't be some kind of exclusivity deal. I want it on my Switch lol.
There may not be. Those hashtags are there for a reason.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm pretty sure it won't be a PS5 exclusive since the other games are on the Switch, and they have sold way too well to pass up a Switch version of the next game at this point

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it won't be a PS5 exclusive since the other games are on the Switch, and they have sold way too well to pass up a Switch version of the next game at this point
I doubt it would be "Console Exclusive" and who knows if it will launch multiplatform like Nitro Fueled, But don't be surprised if Sony forks over some serious dough to Activision to lock it up as a "Timed Exclusive" for 1 year for the PS5 just like what they did N.Sane Trilogy.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I doubt it would be "Console Exclusive" and who knows if it will launch multiplatform like Nitro Fueled, But don't be surprised if Sony forks over some serious dough to Activision to lock it up as a "Timed Exclusive" for 1 year for the PS5 just like what they did N.Sane Trilogy.
Yeah true. At worst it will probably be a timed exclusive for a while until deciding to port it to other systems, but I completely expect the new game to be multi-platform eventually.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sabi spoke. She said that Crash Bandicoot's new game is likely in the PS5 reveal.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Wooo, hype! Although I really really hope the new Crash game isn't Playstation locked... please be on PC or Switch as well :'(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder who that punk girl in the top right corner is supposed to be. At any rate, I heard that all this merch is allegedly for the mobile spin-off (which would explain a lot, since a multiverse is involved in that).

What did The Gaming Revolution say about Crash? I couldn't find the Tweet?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think this crash merch may be for that rumored crash game thats been floating for a few months. It said both Crash and Coco were playable, and coco has a bunch of merch here it seems, so it fits.

I would like to think this could also lead to crash in smash. Having him revealed at rhis years e3 after his game was announced would have made sense. I think its still possible we may see him revealed after the ARMS presentation, hoping this week or next.

I also still hope Coco is an alt at least. Love her, and she can work well as shown in the hd remakes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think this crash merch may be for that rumored crash game thats been floating for a few months. It said both Crash and Coco were playable, and coco has a bunch of merch here it seems, so it fits.

I would like to think this could also lead to crash in smash. Having him revealed at rhis years e3 after his game was announced would have made sense. I think its still possible we may see him revealed after the ARMS presentation, hoping this week or next.

I also still hope Coco is an alt at least. Love her, and she can work well as shown in the hd remakes.
Now it's rumoured that the Crash game reveal might have been moved.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If so, what is Activision playing at...?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Now it's rumoured that the Crash game reveal might have been moved.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If so, what is Activision playing at...?
Maybe Activision wants to reveal it on nintendos channel first?

If I can read the text right, that's actually supposed to be Tawna??

Quite a drastic redesign, whatever they're planning, especially since the other characters still seem to be in line with their remake trilogy designs
Yawna huh? Interesting... you got a higher quality pic?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe Activision wants to reveal it on nintendos channel first?

Yawna huh? Interesting... you got a higher quality pic?
Probably, I didn't think about that. Could be an astute observation on your part.

Sounds like a parallel universe version of her. Maybe that version will appear in an anniversary update for CTR, as a tie-in promotion to the mobile game or other future project?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Maybe they thought the Pamela Anderson look was outdated? I don't mind Tawna redesign at all and think it looks good BUT it might have been better off as a new character.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Maybe they thought the Pamela Anderson look was outdated? I don't mind Tawna redesign at all and think it looks good BUT it might have been better off as a new character.
Maybe she just decided for a change? In game she hasnt been seen since the first game. Ctrs timeline i beleive is sketchy. I think maybe she decided to try a mew look after leaving crash for a little while

So, i havent touched CTR for months, because i got so pissed at their cash shop and the bad grind for coins. How is the game now? Still annoy grind? Are they still supporting the game?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hmm... I don't think I'd like Tawna herself getting a redesign THAT drastic so soon. If it's like, a parallel world-version of her, fine. But Tawna herself looking like that suddenly? Eh...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While I'm happy with just my Nintendo Switch at the moment, I have kinda of been debating if I should pick up a Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X.

Most 3rd party games rarely interest me as exclusives are what I mainly care about and I've been leaning more on the PS5 side seeing as Sony does a better job when it comes to exclusives, But I still want to see what Microsoft has in store for later too.

Crash Bandicoot would be a great start, Though I expect that to be Multiplatform, But I'm hoping for a Ratchet & Clank sequel or maybe even a Sly Cooper reboot, Though the former is much more likely.

All right Sony, Let's see what you got.

zferolie

Smash Hero
While I'm happy with just my Nintendo Switch at the moment, I have kinda of been debating if I should pick up a Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X.

Most 3rd party games rarely interest me as exclusives are what I mainly care about and I've been leaning more on the PS5 side seeing as Sony does a better job when it comes to exclusives, But I still want to see what Microsoft has in store for later too.

Crash Bandicoot would be a great start, Though I expect that to be Multiplatform, But I'm hoping for a Ratchet & Clank sequel or maybe even a Sly Cooper reboot, Though the former is much more likely.

All right Sony, Let's see what you got.
Sly cooper doesnt need a re oot it needs a new game since the last ended on a cliffhanger

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Geez, that was boring, with some good things, but still, and no Crash game in sight.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Okay, I must admit. Despite the fact that the new Crash wasn't shown, which was the only thing I was looking forward to, that event was pretty good. A new Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man, Little BigPlanet, Horizon II, Resident Evil VIII, and the reveal of the PS5 were very hype. Looks like we have to wait just a little bit longer for Crash, but I am sure its gonna happen soon!

Top Bottom