• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I asked awhile back in the Spyro thread if I could be added and they haven't added me on the support list yet.
You're on there now - I just added you to the list. I should probably check to see if anyone else asked while I'm at it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well one of the three had to go first eventually and doesn't likely mean much who does in what order as long as they make it in. The first one just so happened to be Banjo-Kazooie.
This, 10 times.

I don't like how underplayed Crash's Nintendo console appearances are perceived as being, when he ultimately turned out to be yet another of Sony's temporary mascots. The only difference is that he had the luck of still going under Vivendi Universal and Sierra's insistence on running the series (into the ground). From hearing about Crash's Nintendo appearances nowadays, you'd think he never got any until the Switch came along, when it's actually been the case since the Gamecube era; the truth is that most Crash games after the trilogy and CTR never resonated with fans as much, for various reasons. As much as Sony pretends to show that Crash is "their" property again, it's only because they don't use any of their cartoony mascots after Ratchet & Clank went on hiatus. There are third-parties with slimmer Nintendo connections than him, and they still managed to get in Smash.

All three mascots showed up on Nintendo hardware to some capacity, the stars simply happened to align for B-K for the time being, since they are the ones to have helped facilitate collaborating with Microsoft, much easier than it would otherwise be with Steve or Master Chief.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of the downplaying of both Crash (and Spyro's) respective Nintendo histories is that the downturn in quality for both franchises is often associated with the time they happened to become multi-platform series. This in spite of the fact that there were good games from both on consoles and handhelds after their classic trilogies, that have been ignored in subsequent history.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Couldn't Bowser's and DK's playable appearance in Skylanders (alongside Crash, Cortex and Spyro, mind you) be a sign that Activision is probably also very friendly with Nintendo, just as much as Ubisoft?
I hope that collaboration was enough, For Nintendo to consider working with Crash and Activision regarding Smash in the future, But that was several years ago and Skylanders is dead so we haven't seen them do anything notable recently. But Crash Bandicoot being a gaming icon and having successfully solid ports of N.Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled is sometimes all it takes.

I would consider Ubisoft's involvement a bigger deal because not only did they guest star a Nintendo character in their own IP with Star Fox (Just like with Bowser and DK for Activision), But they got to develop an actual Mario game and use DK as a DLC expansion and who knows what other future projects they might have.

Again all of this could mean nothing, But those are my thoughts on the potential next western character from the 2 biggest platforming IP's left that have yet to make it in Smash, Make a lot of sense and seem very likely.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 what do you think about Earthworm Jim? I think after Crash, Rayman, Spyro, and Conker all get in he should go afterwards. His series went more downhill and overlooked over the years after it's peak. I think Earthworm Jim deserves a second chance in the spotlight again once more.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
So ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 what do you think about Earthworm Jim? I think after Crash, Rayman, Spyro, and Conker all get in he should go afterwards. His series went more downhill and overlooked over the years after it's peak. I think Earthworm Jim deserves a second chance in the spotlight again once more.
Earthworm Jim (Groovy!) is a character that I would be cool with and would actually like in Smash despite never playing the series, I remember my first exposure of him was playing as him in "Clayfighter 63 1/3" on the N64 at a friend's house.

Like I said before, "Most" cartoony/animal platforming mascots are my absolute favorite video game character archetype and have been since I was started gaming in the late 90's when I was 4-5 years old, Me personally I have always viewed the characters/genre as not just the face of video games and companies But the most fitting for a game like Super Smash Bros.

Earthworm Jim is a series and a character I always found appealing in it's wacky art style and humor that reminds me of of western cartoon animation from the 90's, But never got to play, While I played my fair share of SNES, It was mainly Donkey Kong Country and Mario and I mainly grew up with the N64, But Earthworm Jim is on my list to play, I believe my older brother-in law grew up playing the series so maybe we can get together and play the 1st 2 games.

Bottom Line: He would be cool and would have had more of a demand/push if his impact and longetivity wasn't cut short, The rise of 3D platformers was sink or swim for many 2D mascots and unfortunately he like many others couldn't make the transition and were later replaced by a new generation of 3D mascots such as Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Banjo-Kazooie. If he would have made a successful jump to 3D and could have somewhat thrived during the N64/PS1 era or maybe even GCN/PS2/Xbox era he would have been taken more seriously and could have possibly been a solid contender, Not to the extent or status of someone like Crash Bandicoot, But probably on the same level as Rayman.

But the current state of the franchise and lack of fan demand make him very doubtful and unlikely to make it into Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's at least off to a decent start at the moment, between the Indiegogo comic and the special rerelease compilation of the first two games on SNES. Just not sure how the Intellivision Amico would fare, since EWJ3 is exclusive to it so far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh yeah can I be added to the support list here too? If I’m not already.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I wish their was more to talk about in terms of Crash but unfortunately I can't think of much to talk about. Thats primarily why I have been quite inactive on this thread. Hopefully we will get some tease or hint at Crash making it in because I am quite worried about Crash's chances honestly.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wish their was more to talk about in terms of Crash but unfortunately I can't think of much to talk about. Thats primarily why I have been quite inactive on this board. Hopefully we will get some tease or hint at Crash making it in because I am quite worried about Crash's chances honestly.
I agree that there really hasn't been much to talk about on Crash lately, but I still strongly believe he is coming to Smash.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I agree that there really hasn't been much to talk about on Crash lately, but I still strongly believe he is coming to Smash.
I wish I was that confident. I do think he is a strong possibility, but I can't really say he is a 100% lock. I'm still holding out hope though!

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I keep going back and forth on Crash. Like, it makes sense, but at the same... it doesn't? He only recently came back, and it was with a remake (a good remake, but a remake nonetheless). Plus, do we even know Activision's relationship with Nintendo? I mean, it can't be bad, given they currently support the Switch, but what if there's something going on behind the scenes? And that's not taking into account that they might want to add someone else. Honestly, it's too early to say.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's been a big lack of Crash anything lately, beyond periodical teases for new merch. I feel that something is coming, but at the same time not coming.

Will we get anything by the end of June? Even I don't know, at this stage.

I keep going back and forth on Crash. Like, it makes sense, but at the same... it doesn't? He only recently came back, and it was with a remake (a good remake, but a remake nonetheless). Plus, do we even know Activision's relationship with Nintendo? I mean, it can't be bad, given they currently support the Switch, but what if there's something going on behind the scenes? And that's not taking into account that they might want to add someone else. Honestly, it's too early to say.
I'd stow that kind of talk, seeing as no one knew about Nintendo's relations to SNK being properly established until :ult_terry: got revealed. Either they talked to each other, or they didn't, simple as that.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There's been a big lack of Crash anything lately, beyond periodical teases for new merch. I feel that something is coming, but at the same time not coming.

Will we get anything by the end of June? Even I don't know, at this stage.

I'd stow that kind of talk, seeing as no one knew about Nintendo's relations to SNK being properly established until :ult_terry: got revealed. Either they talked to each other, or they didn't, simple as that.
That's a good point. Sorry about that, I think speculation is starting to break me...

Though on a similar topic, if for some reason Crash COULDN'T be added, who else from Activision-Blizzard would you want instead? I'll be honest, I grew up with Spyro, so I'd go with him. Extra points if he comes with Skylanders content.

Shut up, I liked those games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's a good point. Sorry about that, I think speculation is starting to break me...

Though on a similar topic, if for some reason Crash COULDN'T be added, who else from Activision-Blizzard would you want instead? I'll be honest, I grew up with Spyro, so I'd go with him. Extra points if he comes with Skylanders content.

Shut up, I liked those games.
Besides Spyro, I wouldn't mind Tracer, Pitfall Harry, or if we went for something more off-the-cuff, the Lost Vikings.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Spyro the Dragon is the only other character I would want other than Crash Bandicoot under the Activision umbrella and are both the only reason I even pay attention to Activision. They make the most sense and fit in the best in a game like Smash and I "Somewhat" grew up alongside their PS1 era games.

I don't care about Call of Duty and while it's their biggest IP, Who honestly wants or expects a boring, realistic and generic soldier to be a fighter?

Don't have any interest at all on the Blizzard side as it's not my cup of tea and it's mostly PC oriented which I don't really bother with as I'm a console gamer.

But I think most can agree that Crash Bandicoot absolutely makes the most sense and has the best shot at making the roster out of any other Character/IP owned by Activision.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've heard people say Activision was at E3 last year near the Nintendo booth I believe talking to them. Nintendo and Microsoft had a similar meeting at E3 2018 and the following E3 in 2019 we get Banjo & Kazooie. I truly believe Crash has already been negotiated for and that he is in.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I've heard people say Activision was at E3 last year near the Nintendo booth I believe talking to them. Nintendo and Microsoft had a similar meeting at E3 2018 and the following E3 in 2019 we get Banjo & Kazooie. I truly believe Crash has already been negotiated for and that he is in.
Really? I never heard of that until now. Hopefully its the case. Been waiting for Crash for such a long time.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh most definitely. Seeing as how this is the Ultimate Smash game, it only makes sense to include what is essentially the unofficial PS1 mascot.
I mean Cloud and Snake are already in so Crash should be in too. He should be beside his unofficial PlayStation brothers.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I mean Cloud and Snake are already in so Crash should be in too. He should be beside his unofficial PlayStation brothers.
Oh yeah of course. I would personally find it hilarious if Crash ended up in Super Smash Bros. instead of being in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale lol

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I kinda wonder if Crash might get added like similar to Terry given the latter inspired Smash. In Crash's case his legacy in the 90s and rivalry with Mario and Sonic as the Sony mascot back then.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Master Chief deserves to get in as well with him being the Xbox mascot and all. With Microsoft already in Smash, this is a Rare opportunity to get him in no pun intended.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I kinda wonder if Crash might get added like similar to Terry given the latter inspired Smash. In Crash's case his legacy in the 90s and rivalry with Mario and Sonic as the Sony mascot back then.
Yeah true and unlike most other Western characters that are brought up in Smash speculation, Crash actually has a sizeable fanbase in Japan and they even think of Crash as a gaming icon over their. I just feel like Crash is so much of an icon that it would be so stupid on Nintendo's part to not at least consider him.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just feel like Crash is so much of an icon that it would be so stupid on Nintendo's part to not at least consider him.
I feel the same way about Crash and Master Chief there. It would be stupid if Nintendo didn't at least try to negotiate to their companies to get them in.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Been posting these in character threads I support, coming up with these are fun

What if Crash Bandicoot had a Palutena's Guidance

Pit: WHOA! It's Crash Bandicoot!

Palutena: Oh! I see you're already familiar with our furry friend here!

Pit: Of course! The rivalry between he, Sonic, and Mario is the stuff of legends!

Palutena: Crash was once your average bandicoot until the evil Dr. Cortex invaded his island home and mutated the animals that lived there to serve under his army. Crash Bashed back however, and ever since he's always there to save the world whenever Cortex Strikes Back

Viridi: Nature striking back when man attempts to trample it... Now that's something I can get behind!

Palutena: Crash is a bit Warped in the head, but you'd be a fool to underestimate him

Viridi: Crash's Power Slide and Fruit Bazooka will leave your head spinning! His spin even acts as a reflector! He's quite a force to be reckoned with, even if he's rather slow on the uptake and falls for even the simplest of tricks... Now that I think about it, you two are a lot alike, Pit!

Pit: Jokes on you! I see that as a compliment!

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel the same way about Crash and Master Chief there. It would be stupid if Nintendo didn't at least try to negotiate to their companies to get them in.
Master Chief especially given how buddy-buddy Nintendo and Microsoft are. Now would be the best opportunity assuming things change in the future.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Seeing how Microsoft allowed Banjo & Kazooie to get included, I am pretty sure they would allow Master Chief to get included. I find it unlikely though considering Halo's history on Nintendo systems and Halo's popularity in Japan, but Master Chief would be one of the most internet breaking characters they could possibly include at this point.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I think Master Chief deserves to get in as well with him being the Xbox mascot and all. With Microsoft already in Smash, this is a Rare opportunity to get him in no pun intended.
I would love to see him in as well mostly because of how much it would blow people away. Sadly, if we are getting one Western character, there’s a good chance they’d pick someone else.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seeing how Microsoft allowed Banjo & Kazooie to get included, I am pretty sure they would allow Master Chief to get included. I find it unlikely though considering Halo's history on Nintendo systems and Halo's popularity in Japan, but Master Chief would be one of the most internet breaking characters they could possibly include at this point.
Absolutely. Chief and Sora are the very few Internet breaking characters that would blow most peoples' minds away. I think Nintendo will try to negotiate with Microsoft again to get Master Chief in as they know it would be huge. Plus Master Chief getting into Smash might make Japanese gamers draw interest in the Halo series and the Xbox brand as a whole.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Absolutely. Chief and Sora are the very few Internet breaking characters that would blow most peoples' minds away. I think Nintendo will try to negotiate with Microsoft again to get Master Chief in as they know it would be huge. Plus Master Chief getting into Smash might make Japanese gamers draw interest in the Halo series and the Xbox brand as a whole.
Yeah I guess you make a good point about that. Afterall, Phil Spencer did state he wants the Xbox Scarlett to appeal to the Japanese audience and including Master Chief in Smash, Xbox's mascot, would be the best way to do so.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If Mario and Sonic does not appear in Crash's reveal trailer, then Sakurai needs to play more Crash to remember the great 90's iconic war.

...which is ironic because I'm doing a fanfic mixture of wrestling and SSB. Crash is currently my Intercontinental champion XD

Top Bottom