• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultpiranha:- I never saw this considered by a single person. The most legitimate WTF character, moreso than Wii Fit Trainer.
:ultjoker:- Not on Nintendo. Not viable.
:ulthero:- Perhaps the most requested of the bunch, but ignored in English speaking countries.
:ultbanjokazooie:- Microsoft would never get in. And if they did they'd put someone else first.
:ult_terry:- Not on the radar.
:ultbyleth:- We wouldn't have another FE character.
Don't forget.

:ultridley: - Too big!
:ultkrool: - Irrelevant

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think that would work better as his Down B. Neutral B I see being his Fruit Bazooka.
No offense, but just because :ultluigi::ultdoc: have a spinning attack as their :GCD::GCB: doesn’t mean Crash will (especially since Crash’s spin attack is, you know, not only his most iconic move, but one that was always pressed with the Square Button and nothing else).

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Honestly- him not being seen as a viable option would, statistically, bode well for him, considering none of the characters that got into pass one were a 'viable option.'
:ultpiranha:- I never saw this considered by a single person. The most legitimate WTF character, moreso than Wii Fit Trainer.
:ulthero:- Perhaps the most requested of the bunch, but ignored in English speaking countries.
:ultbanjokazooie:- Microsoft would never get in. And if they did they'd put someone else first.

I would not rule out a number of other characters.

Steve (Mii+ costume perfection, IMO); Scorpion (It's a fighting game, and Mortal Kombat as a media series is only surpassed in sales by Street Fighter);
well, I could go on, but I think these are the primary holders that come to mind right off the top. Oh- and Spyro. It depends how much his legacy is actually considered to have lived on in Skylanders.

I legitimately cannot imagine a world where this is possible. HIs most iconic move- if a special- would be his default move. Wompa Fruit bazooka... may not even get into the game.
I still think Crash and Rayman are more likely than any of the characters you mentioned. because of how much easier they seem to implement into Smash, Not to mention when it comes to platformers I believe they are the biggest ones left to have yet to make it into the game that just happen to also be western.

- I'm a fan of Spyro and would welcome him with open arms, But no way in hell does he get in over Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot was always the bigger and more popular franchise of the 2 and Crash has more global appeal as well. The only scenario I can seem him making it in is if Activision gave Nintendo an "Ultimatum deal", It's either both or nothing, But I don't see that happening in Season 2.

- Scorpion is a cool and though I'm more of a casual fan of the series, While not impossible, I just don't see Mortal Kombat getting a rep at all without toning down the character severely and doing some changes like dumbing down fatalities, Not to mention Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan so it would be really weird to get a character that their player base has no exposure whatsoever and seems like a lot of work has to be done to make him fit when they can just pick someone else. Even Rayman and Spyro at least have had games in Japan despite poor sales, If we get another fighting game rep it's gonna come from a more Japanese oriented series and my money is Heihachi from Tekken.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I still think Crash and Rayman are more likely than any of the characters you mentioned. because of how much easier they seem to implement into Smash, Not to mention when it comes to platformers I believe they are the biggest ones left to have yet to make it into the game that just happen to also be western.

- I'm a fan of Spyro and would welcome him with open arms, But no way in hell does he get in over Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot was always the bigger and more popular franchise of the 2 and Crash has more global appeal as well. The only scenario I can seem him making it in is if Activision gave Nintendo an "Ultimatum deal", It's either both or nothing, But I don't see that happening in Season 2.

- Scorpion is a cool and though I'm more of a casual fan of the series, While not impossible, I just don't see Mortal Kombat getting a rep at all without toning down the character severely and doing some changes like dumbing down fatalities, Not to mention Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan so it would be really weird to get a character that their player base has no exposure whatsoever and seems like a lot of work has to be done to make him fit when they can just pick someone else. Even Rayman and Spyro at least have had games in Japan despite poor sales, If we get another fighting game rep it's gonna come from a more Japanese oriented series and my money is Heihachi from Tekken.
As far as Spyro goes- he could easily be seen as the better option. If Skylanders is considered a Spyro game- which is debatable- then it is without question not only the bigger series, but the game that put toys to life, including amiibo, on the map. A worthy addition. Not only this, but a gliding quadriped is a very unique character just from the get go, as far as smash is concerned. While Crash could be just as unique, it would take a bit more creativity. (My new favorite concept for him is to give him a movement mode of being able to constantly spin with a B button mash- where he never has to leave the spin, and this gives him different properties of movement, like more sliding/less friction, and the ability to hover downward in the air).

For Scorpion- it's important to remember that the character is equally as campy as he is gorey. While there would be a need to represent some level of gore (maybe only he bleeds- that would be pretty unique to watch him actually take damage, since this concept was removed from previous games to see the damage reflected from the hurt characters), we could see him rely moreso on the camp. TOASTY!

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
As far as Spyro goes- he could easily be seen as the better option. If Skylanders is considered a Spyro game- which is debatable- then it is without question not only the bigger series, but the game that put toys to life, including amiibo, on the map. A worthy addition. Not only this, but a gliding quadriped is a very unique character just from the get go, as far as smash is concerned. While Crash could be just as unique, it would take a bit more creativity. (My new favorite concept for him is to give him a movement mode of being able to constantly spin with a B button mash- where he never has to leave the spin, and this gives him different properties of movement, like more sliding/less friction, and the ability to hover downward in the air).
- Crash has had 2 games already since the series was reborn.
- Crash's next game is heavily rumoured to be announced at any moment now, probably in a E3 conference or something.
- Crash mobile game
- Spyro only had the Reignited Trilogy since the series was reborn and while it sold well it was considerably less succesfull than the N. Sane Trilogy.
- Spyro's next game is only coming in 2021 at its earliest.

Considering these circunstances, I find it hard to believe that Activision would give Spyro priority over Crash right now. It is clear to me that, currently, Crash holds more significance for Activision as a franchise than Spyro does.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Honestly- him not being seen as a viable option would, statistically, bode well for him, considering none of the characters that got into pass one were a 'viable option.'

Steve (Mii+ costume perfection, IMO); Scorpion (It's a fighting game, and Mortal Kombat as a media series is only surpassed in sales by Street Fighter);
well, I could go on, but I think these are the primary holders that come to mind right off the top. Oh- and Spyro. It depends how much his legacy is actually considered to have lived on in Skylanders.

I legitimately cannot imagine a world where this is possible. HIs most iconic move- if a special- would be his default move. Wompa Fruit bazooka... may not even get into the game.
I dont really see steve being a mii costume of any kind since his limbs would need to bend

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, only one week left until the Nitro-Fueled pro challenges reset yet again. Only time will tell if this results in something, or nothing, happening.

- Crash's next game is heavily rumoured to be announced at any moment now, probably in a E3 conference or something.
- Crash mobile game
- Spyro only had the Reignited Trilogy since the series was reborn and while it sold well it was considerably less succesfull than the N. Sane Trilogy.

Considering these circunstances, I find it hard to believe that Activision would give Spyro priority over Crash right now. It is clear to me that, currently, Crash holds more significance for Activision as a franchise than Spyro does.
Considering that Spyro has the hardest time getting much of his games in Japan since Ripto's Rage, I severely doubt that Acti would ask about him over Crash. Maybe as a second addition in the future, but definitely not the first. Especially since Crash already has two projects published by Acti (and Skylanders stopped being about Spyro two games in).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I dont really see steve being a mii costume of any kind since his limbs would need to bend
I know Steve's limbs bend now- but did they always?

- Crash mobile game

Other than the next Spyro game statement- which seems completely unfounded as far as I'm aware- your other statements are all true.
I am not making the case that Spyro WOULD get in over Crash. I merely state that it would be foolish to not consider the possibility. If Sakurai sees Spyro and has a more unique moveset than Crash, I think we would get Spyro. His series, especially with Skylander's as a point in his favor via sales/toys to life launch, is a big enough deal to celebrate.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I know Steve's limbs bend now- but did they always?

Other than the next Spyro game statement- which seems completely unfounded as far as I'm aware- your other statements are all true.
I am not making the case that Spyro WOULD get in over Crash. I merely state that it would be foolish to not consider the possibility. If Sakurai sees Spyro and has a more unique moveset than Crash, I think we would get Spyro. His series, especially with Skylander's as a point in his favor via sales/toys to life launch, is a big enough deal to celebrate.
I was saying that steve shouldnt be a mii costume because his limbs would need to bend in order to be a mii costume

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I was saying that steve shouldnt be a mii costume because his limbs would need to bend in order to be a mii costume
Oh. In that case- he is a great Mii costume. The Minecraft cutscenes use bendable limbs. It fits quite well. Minecraft Story Mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKVkvdbS0wA

What do you think about how that works?

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Oh. In that case- he is a great Mii costume. The Minecraft cutscenes use bendable limbs. It fits quite well. Minecraft Story Mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKVkvdbS0wA

What do you think about how that works?
But i dont think using story mode's artstyle would represent the core minecraft style that well and also steve isnt in story mode so using the story mode style to represent steve is very out of "character" for steve

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
But i dont think using story mode's artstyle would represent the core minecraft style that well and also steve isnt in story mode so using the story mode style to represent steve is very out of "character" for steve
I guess if something put into the official game as a major mode isn't convincing enough, then not much else could be-- I personally feel it not only works, but is going to become something we see a lot more in Minecraft, as it becomes a media starling in tv and movies (inevitable progression).
Since bending of limbs isn't necessary for many attacks- I'm not even sure it would be something we see too often.
But I will respect your different opinion. That said- I think that Steve is the perfect character for a Mii character. (Only second to Geno).

All the Crash news is encouraging all the same good to see it.
I agree! Crash has been getting so much love the last few years. Nostalgia has its monetary value, for sure.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
No offense, but just because :ultluigi::ultdoc: have a spinning attack as their :GCD::GCB: doesn’t mean Crash will (especially since Crash’s spin attack is, you know, not only his most iconic move, but one that was always pressed with the Square Button and nothing else).
I agree, it's like having Kirby's inhale be his Down B.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282

That wasn’t my point. What I was trying to say was that Crash’s support alone hasn’t really been big enough to get him into the game. In previous games, the character requirements we’re a lot harsh, so Crash, being a PlayStation icon, was mostly ignored while Banjo, a similar character, got a great amount of support due to his strong ties with Nintendo. Since the DLC cycle for Ultimate started, the chains holding many characters back were broken and Crash now has a lot more support, but despite being the less mainstream character, Banjo got in before him due to the amount of support that had accumulated over the years while Nintendo wouldn’t have noticed the demand for Crash until now.

Basically, if he makes it in, it’ll mostly be because he is a gaming icon that has had an impact on the gaming industry. Otherwise, if they decide to put fan demand first when choosing the next Platform Mascot, assuming there’ll only be one in this pack, I won’t be surprised if they go with Rayman instead as he has had a hefty amount of support longer than what Crash has.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How do you guys think Crash's Classic Mode would go?

I think it would revolve around mascots given his 90's rivalry he had with Mario and Sonic.

Round 1::ultpacman:; Stage: Pac-Land
Round 2::ultsnake:; Stage: Shadow Moses Island
Round 3::ultmegaman:; Wily's Castle
Round 4::ultcloud:; Stage: Midgar
Round 5::ultsonic:; Stage: Green Hill Zone
Round 6::ultmario:; Stage: Mushroom Kingdom
Bonus Stage
Final Round: Master Hand & Crazy Hand

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's the thing: Crash has been going multi-platform ever since way before the Activision era even started, so he was Nintendo-eligible even before Smash 4 support got established, since Universal (and later Sierra) basically owned the rights to him for a while after the Naughty Dog games.

The only thing Sony would even give restrictions on in his case are early console exclusivity for his latest games, and even then that doesn't last for long.

TLDR; Sony doesn't own Crash, no matter how much they pretend to do. He's only been a Playstation icon until the Turn of the Millenium.

The main thing that would get him in is the massive recognition Crash has in Japan compared to other Western mascots, so it's practically a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
How do you guys think Crash's Classic Mode would go?

I think it would revolve around mascots given his 90's rivalry he had with Mario and Sonic.

Round 1::ultpacman:; Stage: Pac-Land
Round 2::ultsnake:; Stage: Shadow Moses Island
Round 3::ultmegaman:; Wily's Castle
Round 4::ultcloud:; Stage: Midgar
Round 5::ultsonic:; Stage: Green Hill Zone
Round 6::ultmario:; Stage: Mushroom Kingdom
Bonus Stage
Final Round: Master Hand & Crazy Hand
I would have that last fight be a team battle against the two hands with Ryu and Simon, since they’re secondary mascots for Capcom and Konami, respectively.

Btw, we have a thread for Classic Mode ideas. You’re more than welcome to post here!

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Here's the thing: Crash has been going multi-platform ever since way before the Activision era even started, so he was Nintendo-eligible even before Smash 4 support got established, since Universal (and later Sierra) basically owned the rights to him for a while after the Naughty Dog games.

The only thing Sony would even give restrictions on in his case are early console exclusivity for his latest games, and even then that doesn't last for long.

TLDR; Sony doesn't own Crash, no matter how much they pretend to do. He's only been a Playstation icon until the Turn of the Millenium.

The main thing that would get him in is the massive recognition Crash has in Japan compared to other Western mascots, so it's practically a no-brainer.
Despite Crash Bandicoot being a multiplatform franchise since 2002, Those games from that era were never on the same level of mainstream success and quality as the original trilogy and CTR despite being Playstation exclusives.

When you think of the Nintendo Gamecube and to a lesser extent the Xbox, Crash Bandicoot isn't really the 1st thing that comes to mind.

- Despite still having somewhat decent sales with "Wrath of Cortex" which came out shortly after the franchises "Prime Years", But was able to piggyback off of recent success and relevancy despite it being just a decent game at best. Best selling Post- Naughty Dog era game if I'm not mistaken, But somewhat succeeded because of what I mentioned before.

- Nitro Kart I would imagine did ok at best, But, moreso on PS2 because of a bigger install base, lack of good kart racers and bigger ties to Playstation brand, But came out the same time Mario Kart: Double Dash came out and was overshadowed on the Gamecube.

- Twinsanity's Gamecube port was cancelled,

- Tag Team Racing was a further departure from CTR and CNK and isn't fondly remembered as it's the worst in the kart/racing series.

- Most Crash Bandicoot fans don't care or talk about Titan/Mutant games as that is seen as the low point of the franchise.

Even after all this, Crash Bandicoot is still mainly remembered and heavily tied to Sony's Playstation brand which is why N. Sane trilogy and Nitro Fueled were the focus of the franchise's revival.

The Banjo-Kazooie comparison is a good one, Despite Crash Bandicoot being a bigger name and icon than Banjo-Kazooie, Had Crash Bandicoot originated as a Nintendo IP and then went multiplatform or maybe even as a rival exclusive, Then there would have been way more demand for him from Nintendo/Smash fans.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That wasn’t my point. What I was trying to say was that Crash’s support alone hasn’t really been big enough to get him into the game. In previous games, the character requirements we’re a lot harsh, so Crash, being a PlayStation icon, was mostly ignored while Banjo, a similar character, got a great amount of support due to his strong ties with Nintendo. Since the DLC cycle for Ultimate started, the chains holding many characters back were broken and Crash now has a lot more support, but despite being the less mainstream character, Banjo got in before him due to the amount of support that had accumulated over the years while Nintendo wouldn’t have noticed the demand for Crash until now.

Basically, if he makes it in, it’ll mostly be because he is a gaming icon that has had an impact on the gaming industry. Otherwise, if they decide to put fan demand first when choosing the next Platform Mascot, assuming there’ll only be one in this pack, I won’t be surprised if they go with Rayman instead as he has had a hefty amount of support longer than what Crash has.
Respectfully, if he gets in, it's unlikely we will ever find out exactly why he gets in.
Sure, there could even be a slight statement about it, one that paints part of the picture. No business gives out all of its information, and Nintendo is no different.

For all we know, Activision could pay Nintendo a huge amount to get Crash in, and that would be from the advertising budget.
We really don't know, and you cannot tell me that you will be able to explain exactly why he gets in, should he hopefully get in.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Respectfully, if he gets in, it's unlikely we will ever find out exactly why he gets in.
Sure, there could even be a slight statement about it, one that paints part of the picture. No business gives out all of its information, and Nintendo is no different.

For all we know, Activision could pay Nintendo a huge amount to get Crash in, and that would be from the advertising budget.
We really don't know, and you cannot tell me that you will be able to explain exactly why he gets in, should he hopefully get in.
True enough, but my point still stands that he doesn’t exactly have everything going for him to be a lock like some people are claiming.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Don't quote me on this but I wanna say Iwata loved the Crash Bandicoot games. He was big on trying to get Dragon Quest back on Nintendo platforms & now we have Hero in Smash along with his game on Switch, and those Dragon Quest DS ports before then.

If true, that's another good point in Crash's favor.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad I finally found a more recent Crash support thread.

I don't really pay attention to Smash anymore but I am still set on Crash getting in. I have extremely vivid memories of playing Warped and CTR on the PS1 when I was very young. I knew him before I knew who Mario was. Basically, he's very near and dear to me and I've wanted him in Smash for as long as I can remember. I've had my doubts before but I'm remaining optimistic for him.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I have been wondering this for a while and maybe it has come up here before and I would strongly assume "No" as my answer, But does anyone know if all legal ties regarding Crash Bandicoot have been severed from Universal completely? Like outside of gaming?

I know Activision has owned the IP since like 2008 after a couple of mergers with previous owners in Universal and Vivendi and I would imagine that Universal got absorbed (Well the gaming side) into Activision and they no longer are in that type of business, Anyone correct me if I am wrong because that whole process sounds confusing and convoluted.

I only ask because seeing how Nintendo has signed a partnership with Universal recently on upcoming projects like the "Super Mario Movie" (Illumination Entertainment) and having a theme park attraction based on their IP's (Super Nintendo World) would have certainly had helped in opening the doors for negotiation regarding Crash Bandicoot in Super Smash Bros Ultimate if Universal still had a saying with the franchise outside of gaming... that is if that is the case.

Sometimes all it takes one foot in one area to open a door in another.

Fun Fact: Crash Bandicoot was apparently in the process of having a theme park attraction back in the late 90's at Universal Studios (Orlando) ,But plans were canceled after Sony signed on as a publisher for the series at the time.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can safely assume that Activision owns everything in the Crash Bandicoot IP, lock, stock and barrel, with no hesitation to use stuff that was formally made or owned by other creators or publishers. Universal's game division, as we know it, no longer exists, so I don't think there's anything to worry about in that regard.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Kind of figured that was the case, But was still somewhat curious about it, Certainly could have helped.

Looks like all we can hope for that being a gaming icon, big seller, fan demand and being one of the biggest names left out there when it comes to platformers and western gaming is enough for Nintendo and Activision to strike a deal.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, what day are the Pro Challenges resetting again? I want to know in case we get new content for Nitro-Fueled.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Say, what day are the Pro Challenges resetting again? I want to know in case we get new content for Nitro-Fueled.
Around the 17th next month. Though personally I don't think we'd get anything else until they announce a complete edition of the game, for the one-year anniversary of its launch (or so). That was done for N. Sane Trilogy, so I can safely assume they'll do that again.

If not that, there's always campaigning for a sequel to get made at some point in the future after the next major Crash and Spyro entries get announced and released (that is, if the next Crash game even exists at this point...).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Something fun I came up with

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Funny idea, but I think it'd get repetitive at that point. My idea for a Crash trailer would be a continuation of Inkling's trailer with Mario and Link fighting, before they see this in the sky and Crash drops down, with the tagline "Crash Bandicoot has entered the station!" (get it?) - maybe it'd be better suited for another PS1 character given Crash has been multiplat for almost 3 decades now, but still.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Though I wouldn't mind having a continuation of the King K. Rool/Banjo-Kazooie trailer, I feel that it will likely wear out it's welcome the 3rd time.

It worked well with Banjo-Kazooie seeing how they are also Rare characters and were spunoff from the Donkey Kong franchise and are connected (Canonically Diddy Kong and Banjo-Kazooie are old friends), Kind of like how Crash and Spyro are too.

That being said Crash Bandicoot would fit in very well with the aesthetic/setting of DK jungle in the CGI trailer as the series (Mainly the 1st game) always gave me Donkey Kong Country vibes.

But as I have mentioned before I would like Crash's Smash trailer to center around the rivalry against Mario and maybe Sonic too as a throwback to the console war between Nintendo, Sega and Sony of the late 90's.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dunno, I could see Crash rescue Mario and Sonic instead, to show that the hatchet has been buried in real life. Let's remember that they are heroes, after all.

Not gonna lie, if that happened it‘d honestly be BEYOND lazy.
Not to mention, I don't think Donkey Kong, Diddy, K. Rool, Banjo and Kazooie would fit through that window.
More to the point, that setup only makes sense for Rare-created/related characters, which Crash is not.

At any rate, the mockup was done for fun anyway, not any sensical reason.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This would be way too deep a cut for Nintendo & Sakurai to ever do (and would likely only amuse me), but I'd love for the reveal to start off with live action video of people in full body Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, & DK costumes inside an office building. They almost come to blows ala the Smash 64 commercial, however they make their peace and are about to shake hands only for them to hear a loud voice outside the building yelling at them. They all look outside and see none other than this:

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I dunno, I could see Crash rescue Mario and Sonic instead, to show that the hatchet has been buried in real life. Let's remember that they are heroes, after all.
That trailer idea would be amazing - you know what would make it better? Have them fighting Villager 2v1 before Crash swoops in, then at the end have the 3 mascots literally bury Villager's axe and give a high five - er, four. Sure, it's not subtle in the slightest - but I doubt subtlety would get across to the crowd that believes the console wars are still a thing.

Top Bottom