• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bakery - Realised I can still edit the thread title!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
if u pick up robs gyro and sart camping, robs side B turns pro, all ur A button options are taken away from the gyro, and when ur throw the gyro, it gets reflected, and rob can sheild fast enough out of side B. SHDL to downB can shut down rob because he can't use a projectile against u in time, and a good rob wont use a gyro vs a falco. The hardest part is killing rob. Keep Bair, U smash, U tilt fresh. U can also spike him if you have experience on punishing ROBs telegraphed recovery, and can Uair him when he goes high up.

Take it from a rob main :D

Denzi

Smash Master
Do you also play pikachu denzi?
and Luigi, ddd, marth, mk, jigglypuff as late quarternaries?

knowing every character inside and out is a pretty good idea tho, the only problem is that (most) chars will evolve as time goes by so you will have to constantly play them if you want to stay up to date.
I don't like Pika and I'm bad with/just don't like D3 Marth, MK, and Jiggs. I like Luigi though, not enough to even be that good with however :p

And I know, that's part of the reason I change all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtbdnMg5iQI More reason for me to ban RC against G&W.

See your talking about wifi, play my Falco offline and I bet you can't beat my Falco.
I credit yours to being wifi and stage mishaps along with you not playing your best perhaps. I mean, lylat does mess up a few things. Phantasm/Lasers didnt' get in my way at all.

But, I am talking about many, many other falcos. I am referring to the problem of how good DDD is on shield, and how bad Falco is on killing. Trying to get a kill on DDD is extremely hard if they keep playing defensively and is why I hate playing Falco agaisnt DDD. It takes FOREVER to kill the penguin. If you try to get a kill with conventional methods like Usmash, or Fsmash DDD can just grab you if you hit is shield. Oh look, you just took 16%-12% of damage and are now getting edgeguarded. Trying to kill with Bair I feel is the only safe method against DDD. Ftilt doesn't kill until like 200% I think. And Utilt I'm not sure. The only good thing about DDD is that it also takes him forever to kill you as well. That is if you aren't careless where you are phantasming. You might eat an Utilt.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Guys, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the Falco-Sonic matchup is so ****ing hard. Killing Sonic is maybe even harder than killing Snake, and he racks up damage way too fast. Annoying as ****. And the "pen-and-paper smash" aka "discussing matchups" really doesn't help at all in understanding this. People say "do your usual stuff, camp, and Falco will magically use his top tier powers to beat mid tier horrible and sucky Sonic". But honestly, that matchup is really probably 50-50. I'd almost be tempted to give it to Sonic 55-45, but 50-50 seems more appropriate.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Yeah, my playing partner plays Dedede, and its really not that easy at all, if you get too laxed he can come back really easily, and its also a ***** to land against him, you can take soo many damage just trying to get back on the stage. and killing is a problem, i find bair to be most effective, but its best used when you get DDD in the air, on the ground he can just shield grab you out of it.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I know a good amount about this matchup and I have a bunch of replays, I can write up a lil stuff on the matchup. Though I will say this is in our favor, its more like 55:45, but I can be convinced that its 60:40 if I find out that I'm doing something extremely wrong with this matchup.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I've 3 stocked every Sonic I've played against lol...

*Your usual campy tactics insert here*

Learn to read Sonic. Sonic's all about the bait and punish, and doesn't really have a good reliable approach move if you've got decent reactions and timing. When Sonic's trying to approach through your lasers it becomes really easy to abuse your jab. It beats out EVERYTHING he has for an approach option. I think that because of this, we're able to camp near the ledge, get them off stage via some sort of throw, possibly a jab > grab situation. Once they're off stage, decide whether it's appropriate to follow up, if not, IAP to the other side and camp the other edge. It's too easy imo.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Not sure, I'm broke and I don't like NY because Dabuz lives there, it is scary.

Edit:
Maybe I might be doing something next week. I've been wanting to meet you though, its been like 3 tourneys and we haven't said a word to each other?

Edit2: Hey Falco boards, you should make a thread on items and stuff. It might come in handy.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Not sure, I'm broke and I don't like NY because Dabuz lives there, it is scary.

Edit:
Maybe I might be doing something next week. I've been wanting to meet you though, its been like 3 tourneys and we haven't said a word to each other?
Dabuz is not scary. In fact I want to play him in tourney and gay him MAD HARD with MK. I know how to gay Olimar (so does Fatal if he plays him again)

Yeah we haven't talked at all. But the times I went OoS I've felt depressed due to lack of sleep beforehand, thus I haven't socialized with basically anyone (haven't got much friendlies either). I did talk to KiD though, even friendlied him at Viridan for 3 seconds before M2K took my chair lol.

We definitely need to hang some time... OH AND $5 MM MK VS FALCO :bee:

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
If I make it to Bums, maybe. I don't like mm'ing, but I'll do some exceptions.

Dabuz you are mad good with a character I can't even see. Thats some scary stuff.

Vlade

Social Outcast
As in not as easy for us as we say it is? Cus that's what I think. I have trouble with it actually. His Dair is so good, and his grab range is better >_<
That's correct. 80% of the time he'll be bthrowing you if you're not careful

But yeah, we ought to revisit a lot of matchups.

I still want to see if anyone will money match me for a penny. I always hear about people wagering $1 to $10, but that is about it. I don't have the money to spend x.x

clowsui

Smash Legend
you guys are smoking something serious

ddd vs falco is 6:4 falco maybe 7:3

if you do silents on his shield mix up with double laser and abuse your ******* good roll you win

phantasm to escape too

jab when you're up close, if you do triple jab it's an auto reset to neutral he doesn't have any options to beat it quickly

when he's edgeguarding you mix up lengths of phantasm and make sure you're not recovering stupidly

don't get greedy for grabs against him

be patient about killing + damage

also if you're getting juggled use different timings w/ airdodging and fastfalling to throw him off, occasionally move away etc.

CAMP THE **** OUT OF HIM, he can't actually beat you when that happens. he'll approach or try to approach at least but then you just **** him hard because he can't beat you at that range since you're reacting to him

ddd...too easy

I see you totally ignored the address of how the heck do we kill a giant penguin like that. Which was the point of people questioning the MU. Really, I have never seen a Falco camp a match past the point of it being timed out and winning by a percent lead. I'm more likely to think that DDD will beat you to death before the clock ever runs out.

clowsui

Smash Legend
k look

if you have the lead

it does not matter whether you can kill or not with a kill move

you just wait for him to come to you and do something like utilt or abuse laser hitstun at higher percentage and usmash. patience.

also you can just bait him into ****...just laser him continuously and then eventually the ddd will think it's a good idea to spotdodge and approach. utilt that penguin through the spotdodge. you can condition him into avoiding shield usage by grabbing his shield grab approaches. ddd cannot approach you with anything but shield + offensive spotdodging.

furthermore ddd sucks at avoiding juggles. falco's uair is amazing for that. if he uses dair then still it just means you guessed wrong.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I'm exaggerating when I say DDD is RIDICULOUSLY easy. He's easy but with some effort a DDD can definitely beat you.

DDD cannot approach with grab. It's easy to outrange his grab because 1. the range is fixed (pivot or regular) and 2. there's no real way of him scaring you into it other than juggle reads and some tricky shield spacing or ftilt baits. Ultimately he's going to find it REALLY hard to grab much less get in the range for a grab.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Ok the range is fixed, but it's fixed so it out ranges our own grab.

"you can condition him into avoiding shield usage by grabbing his shield grab approaches." This is all I am referring to while I am talking, just so you know.

clowsui

Smash Legend
oh
just do stuff like laser -> run in grab at short-mid range once you've conditioned him so that you bring up the shield on the laser and then you get him with a grab

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
you guys are smoking something serious

ddd vs falco is 6:4 falco maybe 7:3

if you do silents on his shield mix up with double laser and abuse your ******* good roll you win

If DDD knows how to powershield he can approach you, and he can running powershield grab you from a SHDL/SHL from a pretty far distance, you will get grabbed if you let him get to close, and if you think rolling will stop him realize that he can turnaround grab you after a powershield.

I say SHL/SHDL to jab combo works well as long as hes not too close to you, but keep in mind that he can powershield grab your 1st or 2nd jab, or even take the damage but still grab you with grab armor.
Basically just mix up your camping, if hes far away enough just shoot off grounded lasers.

phantasm to escape too

Phantasm is not that safe, if he expects it, he can uptilt you since utilt has so much range. If hes sheilding he can bair oos you. Phantasm while your close to him? he can grab you during the startup lag, or ftilt, as his ftilt will beat basically everything you can do, unless he uses it too late. Another thing DDD can do while shielding and you phantasm is roll backwards, his invincinbility frames will cover the hitbox of the phantasm and he will be close enough to you to punish the ending lag.

tl;dr DDD has alot of options to punish phantasm, mix in phantasm cancels and phatasm wisely.

jab when you're up close, if you do triple jab it's an auto reset to neutral he doesn't have any options to beat it quickly

Like I said before he can take the damage from the 1st or 2nd jab and grab you before you get the jab combo, or he can stay outside the range of the jab combo and ftilt/dtilt you.

when he's edgeguarding you mix up lengths of phantasm and make sure you're not recovering stupidly

You have 1 frame to phantasm cancel, I would not bet my recovery on something you need to be frame perfect with. Firebird is useful if hes trying to punish a phantasm, but if hes close to the ledge he can edgehog/edgeguard.

So if hes farther away from the ledge, phantasm to the ledge or firebird onto the ledge (use firebird above the ledge is better than below).

If hes close to the ledge, wait until the last moment to phantasm so he thinks your going for the ledge and edgehogs, then phantasm back on the stage. Or the safer choice is get close to him and phantasm higher than normal, this way he will have less time to react and hes too far away from where you will land to punish.

don't get greedy for grabs against him

I would say grab is the best move against DDD, because DDD will go for shield grabs so much that you will grab his shield more often than youd think. If you get him at low percentage go for the chainspike, then he has 2 options:

upb immediately, then you can try to respike him,or if u know hes trying to grab the ledge grab it 1st, or punish him on landing if hes trying to land on stage while abusing his superarmor and hitbox.

if he try to grab the ledge with his jumps, if so then go for the footstool, cuz if he upairs you can smash di and recover with your 2nd jump, and hes forced to use upb.

be patient about killing + damage

indeed, I've seen falcos lose a whole stock trying to kill a DDD with upsmash/boost smash, i think going for an upsmash kill is the worst thing to do, as he will grab you from it every time. It is IMPOSSIBLE to kill DDD when he's on the ground, so get him in the air. Generally DDD will shield and give you the grab at killing percents, so the best thing to do is to grab him and throw him offstage if you can, if not then throw him up and try to kill with uair/bair. Dthrow is also useful as you can get f-smash/boost smash if he di towards/away and airdodges immediately, but if he jumps or airdodge wisely he will avoid kill moves.

tl;dr at kill percentage go for the grab and then try to kill him when hes in the air.

also if you're getting juggled use different timings w/ airdodging and fastfalling to throw him off, occasionally move away etc.

DDD ***** at juggling because of his huge range on his tilts/grab, add in the fact that Falco has a ****ty horizontal aerial movement means that he can make it a ***** to land against.

His bair lasts longer than your airdodge, and since he falls fast his ff bair beats your ff airdodge. But the big part is trying to land, if you try to land close to him with airdodge/aerials, he will sheild grab you, if you try to land behind him he will uptilt you, you can airdodge thru it if you airdodge at the right time and move enough to avoid his hitbox when you land, which is really hard to do. And uptilt has invincibility frames so dont try to bair/dair, you will lose. Best thing to do when DDD is standing under you is to phantasm away, preferably onto a platform.

CAMP THE **** OUT OF HIM, he can't actually beat you when that happens. he'll approach or try to approach at least but then you just **** him hard because he can't beat you at that range since you're reacting to him

He can powershield the lasers and approach you, eventurally you will run out of retreating move and then you will have to get behind him with phantasm/roll/run past him/take the air, or fight him. He has answers to all of them, and if he predicts right be prepared to take a ton of damage from his throws and edgeguard/juggling. Camp is the right answer, just make sure you use all your options, both defensive options and offensive options. NEVER get predictable.

ddd...too easy

Disagree, this matchup is in Falco's favor, but you have to try just as hard to win as he does. I would put it at 55:45, because DDD can live for a long time against Falco, and he can rack up the damage very quickly and kill early. We def have the tools to beat him, but we need to play really smart, if a DDD predicts us better than we can predict him then he's most likely going to win.
Response in red, my playing partner plays DDD so I have alot to say about this matchup.

clowsui

Smash Legend
i haven't played enough good ddds it seems because not much of that happens to me other than the whole landing punish ****, the occasional powershielded laser...i will play lain w/ my falco in MM when i see him next and we'll see how it goes

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
DDD should die earliest at 160-170%'s. (Pretty darn reasonable)

I don't think its too hard, we have way too many mixups to be having trouble with a heavy shield.

Top Bottom