• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bakery - Realised I can still edit the thread title!

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
So I stayed up all night waiting for the sun to rise, you know a typical Monday morning for me. As I saw the sun pop up from the night I thought to myself, why do I main Falco? The answer I came up with was his broken *** chain grab. Then another thought came to mind, why don't I just main Ice Climbers? They have a broken *** chain grab that kills the entire cast guaranteed. I feel like this decision is for the best, Ice Climbers is clearly the better character. Falco is just too hard, I never even get the chain grab on good players now anyways.
Sad sad :(

Abel1994

Smash Lord
lol The only sad part I see is him :3 He gives up a char because its harder to chaingrab them xD Maybe their learning not to get chaingrab because they dont want to get 40%+ from the start of the match! Or maybe you need to learn how to chaingrab better.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
So how about that top 5 Falco list...

I was looking at milesg2g's list, and I wonder if you guys agreed with it as well. I personally don't care much, I'm just curious to hear you gaiz's opinion:

1. DEHF
2. Shugo
3. SK92
4. Kismet
5. Arty

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
So how about that top 5 Falco list...

I was looking at milesg2g's list, and I wonder if you guys agreed with it as well. I personally don't care much, I'm just curious to hear you gaiz's opinion:

1. DEHF
2. Shugo
3. SK92
4. Kismet
5. Arty
US only?
gay.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
MY OH MY

ITS VERMANUBIS THAT GANON MAIN FROM ACROSS DA POND

ive watched all of your vids im a huge fan xD
I am honored that you know of me and enjoy my videos, Kasper! It's a pleasure to meet you. :ganondorf:

Auch, Ich werde diese Bäckerei in eine Metzgerei zu machen!

Vlade

Social Outcast
Since MvC3 came out smash has died in my area. Has this happened to anyone else?

I love MvC3 (moreso than smash) but I think it's a shame that we're most likely not gonna have regular smash tournaments anymore.

Vlade

Social Outcast
dang is it really that bad?

thats crazy, even SF4 didnt take THAT big of a hit from mvc coming out...
Well my area already had a fairly low number of members in the scene and yeah people have just gradually gotten bored of smash, and then BAM a new, appealing game comes out. I'm really enjoying MvC3 but at the same time a little sad that our smash scene has crumpled for the time being.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
After almost beating one of the top players in my state with Falco (whom I havent played in ages) yesterday I realized I need to come back here and cultivate my Falco. Seems like much has happened lately.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys believe the idea of having a natural limit? Like once you reach a certain point, you are at your maximum potential and cannot progress any further?

I know that by practicing a lot, anyone can get better. But is there a limit for people? We all would like to think that you get back exactly what effort you put into something, but it is a fact that some people are more naturally gifted than others. This is apparent in our differences in various types of intelligence.

Sometimes we say someone has "potential" for the game, but does having high "potential" mean you progress faster towards being perfect or that it means you have a higher maximum skill limit than other people?

I just want some input because this concept interests me. Personally, I believe there is no limit, but that there is diminished return for the effort you put in.

on a much lighter note: http://www.geekstir.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/batmanspy.jpg

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i believe there are limits for each person those limits are fairly high. but there are some players that no matter how much they practice theyll never be as good as some one like gnes or anti.

partly because a lot of what makes anti amazing is that he has out of this world reflexes, and not everybody naturally has those kinds of reflexes.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
i actually dont think anyone on the planet is close to a limit. Peeps just have to train and constantly think about the game and i mean constantly like everyday xD

Xcallion

Smash Ace
Everyone has a limit to their learning rate. This is exemplified by how i get better at ever tourney i go to, but i still suck at this game. I'm getting better very slowly which says that my learning rate is very very low compared to a lot of amazing smashers, but i doubt i have a limit to my potential. Give me a few hundred thousand years to play this game(assuming i dont age and my mind doesnt deteriorate) and i'd be just as good as the top smashers today.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Do you guys believe the idea of having a natural limit? Like once you reach a certain point, you are at your maximum potential and cannot progress any further?

I know that by practicing a lot, anyone can get better. But is there a limit for people? We all would like to think that you get back exactly what effort you put into something, but it is a fact that some people are more naturally gifted than others. This is apparent in our differences in various types of intelligence.

Sometimes we say someone has "potential" for the game, but does having high "potential" mean you progress faster towards being perfect or that it means you have a higher maximum skill limit than other people?

I just want some input because this concept interests me. Personally, I believe there is no limit, but that there is diminished return for the effort you put in.

on a much lighter note: http://www.geekstir.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/batmanspy.jpg

Everyone does have a limit. There is only so much someone can do before they cannot improve. Videos and practice help them reach this limit, but once they reach it, that's it.
There is nothing they can do to improve
on their own.

No single player can become great on their own. There are way too many perspectives to the game for one person to think of them yourself.

I'm not saying to just play more people or watch more videos. It helps to do those, but its more important to learn their mindgames, learn their tricks, learn how they play and why they play the way they do. It'll give you different views on the game that will jumpstart your mind to think in directions it hasn't been able to.

:D

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Everyone does have a limit. There is only so much someone can do before they cannot improve. Videos and practice help them reach this limit, but once they reach it, that's it.
There is nothing they can do to improve
on their own.

No single player can become great on their own. There are way too many perspectives to the game for one person to think of them yourself.

I'm not saying to just play more people or watch more videos. It helps to do those, but its more important to learn their mindgames, learn their tricks, learn how they play and why they play the way they do. It'll give you different views on the game that will jumpstart your mind to think in directions it hasn't been able to.

:D
I agree with this soooo much. That's why going to tourneys is so vital to a players growth. I've stolen so many things from other people lol.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I wouldn't call it stealing.

I say share and share alike. That's the process that drives the whole metagame forward. :D

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I wouldn't call it share. Because you don't usually ask before taking someone's tricks.

But in this case the person stolen doesn't lose anything, so it's win win.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The game made the tricks, the first person to use is just the messenger.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
About limits: It's true some people have to try harder than others, and some people are destined to be better than others. However, if it was this simple, we would see much more consistent results from our top level players. We've seen some pretty big upsets which, statistically, make no sense - Coney 3-stocking M2K, DEHF losing to Espy, etc. Think about DEHF - he can beat M2K, largely considered the best MK, most of the time, yet he lost to Espy, a Sonic player. We can see from watching Espy and M2K that the are both near their limit and of about equal skill. Why, then, did DEHF lose to Espy?

Tiertastically, speaking, this is an impossible upset. However, this just shows what a big difference the player's style can make. DEHF is great at the MK MU, but not at the Sonic MU. He may have nearly reached his limit for the MK MU, but he can definitely improve vs. Sonic. He may be near his limit, but there is definite room for improvement, no?

Another factor is mindgames and predictions. If the opponent has 10x your experience, the match is still very winnable. Imagine if you will, a Brawl player who could read minds and impulses. In his case, even Ganon vs MK becomes 100:0, even if the MK has reached the maximum human potential. There are plenty of factors to make the 'limit' fairly insignificant. At the very least, we can see the limit is set pretty high. In a 55:45 MU, with both players equal skill, the one with the advantage would hypothetically win every time. MK has no bad MUs, so why doesn't MK win every tourney? Because M2K won't change his predictable style and is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I mean, MK WILL win every tourney now that Ally mains him. Errr... because of unique mindgames and playstyles, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

tl:dr - Limits are mostly insignificant. Adapting to your opponent can more than compensate for such small differences in skill.

Also, has anyone seen DEHF? I haven't heard anything since he claimed he would start maining ICs. I really doubt he'll do that, but with Ally switching mains, players quitting Brawl for P:M, and that last post of his, I can't help but worry a little.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
i could see DEHF as IC's
i tried to main them once, but i couldnt keep practicing the amount of time that's required. seriously, who CAN play brawl every day?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
i could see DEHF as IC's
i tried to main them once, but i couldnt keep practicing the amount of time that's required. seriously, who CAN play brawl every day?
Schoolchildren and some university students.

Top Bottom