• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Armory: Using G&W's arsenal to the fullest extent (8-13-08) Now on: Usmash

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
I was playing a Pikachu player who was fairly decent. I got lucky and blasted a 9 as either my first or second judgement and he was done for the first stock. After that he would let me control the game as he would run and run allowing me to chase with raring. Eventually he started running and he spammed shocks. Bad decision. I oil panned that ***** so fast. ANyways what im getting at is that a combination of oil pan and judgement is a great intimidation if you can luck out and get an early judge kill. Judge 6 is also sweet at high percentages.

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
I didnt wanna make a thread asking this so heres my question

How soon in the battle should i use judgement? Before my opponent hits 50%? Or after?

Neb

Smash Lord
It really is a combat move, sorta like bair and nair. Its okay to throw some Judges at low ratios to rack up damage and mix together combos. I don't recommend Judge at high percentages though, just because you have a bundle of other, more fail-safe KO attacks.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I also like using judge on a Snake that is recovering.. While fair may be better, if they are going to recover anyways (heavy, C4.. ugh.) I find that the possibility of a 6 spike, and a 9 kill make it a lot better.

this is if you manage to get the snake off at low damage. At higher or medium damage its better to fair.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Correction. I've witnessed my friend who used G&W 5 seconds at the very start of the match 9 someone and they died at 0% :laugh:

That guy was so mad...
I actually just survived a judgement level 9 hammer at ~ 50%, maybe significantly more (I think I had 94% after the hit, but I could be wrong) with Lucario on Smashville. I went to the very far corner of the screen and then offscreen, but I never died. He hit me while falling out of his Up B while he was about to grab the edge (he missed the edge and fell to his death due to the judgement attack, stupid computer).

I'm not sure how it happened.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
I actually just survived a judgement level 9 hammer at ~ 50%, maybe significantly more (I think I had 94% after the hit, but I could be wrong) with Lucario on Smashville. I went to the very far corner of the screen and then offscreen, but I never died. He hit me while falling out of his Up B while he was about to grab the edge (he missed the edge and fell to his death due to the judgement attack, stupid computer).

I'm not sure how it happened.
DI, Sweet Luck and some other physics help from the game.

Neb

Smash Lord
When its a CPU, theres no such thing as luck, I betcha they're programmed to get at least one 9 every match, lol.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
What has been discussed is how awesome 9s are...

How do you guys like to land the judgement? Spotdodge and stuff, I've seen that.

Anything else?

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
Right after a tech chase, i like catching them with nines.

another question.

How often do you grab on a real tournament?

cutter

Smash Champion
Ok, I managed to get the update for Judgment up now that I had the time.

Time to move on to one of G&W's best moves, and it's certainly one of my personal favorites, the Dsmash

Kegsbane

Smash Rookie
I spam D-Smash and somehow still manage to kill with it at 90-100% on sweetspots. This move is seriously overpowered, one of the main reasons I use G&W.

James177

Smash Rookie
It really is, good for spacingPunishing rolls, It's sweetspot is not only in the picture, it's like 1/4 of a pikachu length that's invisible.(at the tips)

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
Great for edge guarding and rolls, usually my kill move for heavyer annoying chars.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
For some reason, I find that the sour spot is better than the sweet spot... Kind of Ironic because the Sweet spots in attacks are supposed to be better than the sour spots...

cutter

Smash Champion
serious? lucario has had pretty accurate frame data (DT is questionable) for a few months :(
How do you accurately find frame data? (as in, no estimating, but exact figures) Is there some program that does this, do you set it up on a videocamera, or what?

@ DemonicTrilogy: The sourspot is much better against someone with a crappy horizontal recovery or a tether. Other than that, the sweetspot is better because of its range and it kills ridiculously early.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
How do you accurately find frame data? (as in, no estimating, but exact figures) Is there some program that does this, do you set it up on a videocamera, or what?
two methods, one involves a capture card the other involves a computer stopwatch

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162044
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162023
http://smash.scribblewiki.com/Help:Frame_Data

-enjoy

G&W's Dsmash: 14 frames of startup, hits on frame 15, roughly 10 frames of cool down
thanks

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Oh, I thought no one had it. My bad, sorry..

Anyways, it has great IASA frames so it is hard to punish as long as you don't spam it.

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
My friend learned how to perfect shield my turtle so i tried other ways to use it. I tried fast falling it but also DI'n far enough to skrew his grab, once he was going to grab i was able to kill him with my dsmash on a sweetspot. It was great.

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
The Dsmash is one of my favorite moves because its a great finisher. Dthrow to Dsmash is great for the characters it works on. Also an auto canceled Nair to a Dsmash is useful but admittedly harder to pull off.

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
Great to combo off in early percents, and has a good forward range

UpTilt, UpTilt, sh, nair and maybe a UpB unless they airdodge

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
Edit on Judgement:

"Edgeguarding Snake while he comes back with his Cypher is also good to get a free hit as well."

Judgement isnt the best thing you can do here, its great to land a free judgement but its best just to grab him and dont do a thing. When hes free out of your grab, he wont be able to use his upB anymore.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
I think its the most underused move. I like to use it against the heavier people early on to rack up some quick early damage. It's fast and it covers a pretty wide arc.

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
i tend not to do this move against many chars since being directly under most characters is a bad thing (i.e. Lucario, Lucas, MK, etc.) but a quick one or two before the up-b is a decent way to gather damage.

BarakuDragon

Smash Cadet
utilt is vgood for racking up some dmg when someones on a platform and ding out of it straight away isn't easy, although i don't use it alot as much as i should it's still very useful and i might start using it against fox smash spammers lol.

Neb

Smash Lord
Egh, I've yet to find a spot for utilt in my game, 'sides for projectile defense. I know plenty of combo's out of it, but there never seems to be a time where it could be put to use, especially since utilt s'really only for early percentages.

Top Bottom