• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Armory: Using G&W's arsenal to the fullest extent (8-13-08) Now on: Usmash

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
I always go to tourneys, every week. I just need more exp. My hardest match up is Diddy and MK, and ive already read it 10 times.

Neb

Smash Lord
There's really not much to bair. I mean its a great move, but its properties are for the most part, centered upon racking-up damage, its projectile defense is pretty promising as well. So its good to just throw it out there for some quick ****.

Retreating bair's create a wall of 'near-un-punishable' priority, and its low cool down can promote abuse, which isn't always bad, especially if your shield pressuring. You should mix up bair approaches with empty SH's, SH's, Full Hops, and FF's. With full hops you can double bair, FHDB (lol, like Falco SHDL?). But yeah, with a double bair out of full hop, you can approach with one bair and retreat with another, or double jump and mix-up some more. Retreating turtle to shrug the ending hitbox can lead to dsmash, fsmash, or even aerials.

ClankClankClank!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
One of G&W's best kill moves overall. Great priority, can be set up into fairly easily from a techchase -> Hyphen Smash, kills at super low percents off the top, and has no ending lag so it can't be punished. Nuff said really. =)

Also, people often try to shield this too, in which case it will just push them away really far with a huge dent in their shield.

Just don't Dash attack cancel this attack. Ew...

Vlade

Social Outcast
Yeh like above post said, hyphen smash can work well.
Too bad this move has some start-up lag, but it is insanely powerful.

Otherwise A2ZOMG pretty much summed it up.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I still haven't been able to successfully follow up a D-Throw with an Up-Smash. Either G&W doesn't slide far enough and I end up wiffing, or I get the right distance, but it comes out so slowly they have time to block.

Hylian seems to be the master of the Up-Smash. He lands Up-Smash kills more than anybody else I've ever seen.

cutter

Smash Champion
Alright here's the deal guys. I'm going to be gone Friday through Sunday because I'll be at the coast with my family on vacation. So I won't be able to update till Monday obviously.

Go ahead and keep talking about Usmash, and start the discussion for Fsmash sometime down the road so we're on that when I get back.

laird

Smash Apprentice
i wish gw had an effective DAC usmash! like his glide toss, man he would be unstoppable then...

but a2z said pretty much everything. kills absurdly early. great move. makes people mad.

Neb

Smash Lord
How do you guys usually pull this move off, aside from the usual uair gimp and dthrow techchase?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Erm, Iunno, it just comes to us :p
Like, I get about as many Usmash kills as I do Dsmash kills in a match.
The hitbox on this is deceptively large. Hitting in front, behind, and a good ways up above G&W. You just have to use it a lot intentionally before it becomes natural and you respect it :]

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
One of the few times I landed Usmash was on my friend using Zelda. He plays a campy game. Every time I approach, he rolls > spot dodges > Dsmash. So one time I approached, charged an Usmash while he rolled behind me, waited for the spot dodge and then landed a charged Usmash for the kill.

Neb

Smash Lord
Oh, I have no problems pulling it off in matches. Its just, I'm looking for a more solid option.

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
I've gotten quite a few recovery kills with this move. I just run up to the ledge as they're recovering towards the ledge, charge that Usmash and watch the ****. The only bad thing is that it's kind of predictable, but that's nothing a few mixups can't fix.

Top Bottom