• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas Power Rankings: So Incredibly Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
dmg, its never been correct. it was wrong the day it was posted.

lee harris? name some events where me and him attended that he placed higher than me?

dmk? hes not active at all anymore.

i can go on but it would do no good, you people(not YOU but you guys in general) dont know s***

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lol TGM I know far more about the overall skill level of everyone in texas then you. Just because you disagree with something doesn't mean the people who made it are stupid. That's childrens logic.

Besides, this list is really really old and obviously had some bias that I couldn't prevent.

As it stands now it's almost impossible to make a list because of how different tournament results have been the past few tournaments. Players keep getting leaps and bounds better and that doesn't make for a good list. Especially with things like Seth changing mains, roy not going to tournaments recently(but still being amazingly good), flip not traveling.

Too many variables keep changing.

Xyro77

Lol TGM I know far more about the overall skill level of everyone in texas then you. Just because you disagree with something doesn't mean the people who made it are stupid. That's childrens logic.

Besides, this list is really really old and obviously had some bias that I couldn't prevent.

As it stands now it's almost impossible to make a list because of how different tournament results have been the past few tournaments. Players keep getting leaps and bounds better and that doesn't make for a good list. Especially with things like Seth changing mains, roy not going to tournaments recently(but still being amazingly good), flip not traveling.

Too many variables keep changing.
then why not remove the people who arnt "settled in" yet and not traveling. and how about remove the people that are biased?

as i said before this list and all other previous lists are corrupt.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
then why not remove the people who arnt "settled in" yet and not traveling. and how about remove the people that are biased?

as i said before this list and all other previous lists are corrupt.
Because that would make the list very inaccurate. For all I know flip is the best in Texas, yet since he doesn't travel he shouldn't get a spot?

I've already reformed the panel. DMK/Leeharris have been gone for awhile. I'm not biased at all(considering my city has like no smashers lol) and neither is DMG or Dojo for the same reason. We all travel and have played almost everyone in texas more then once. Seth is still giving insight for houston, and fogo for dallas. I actually have a very good idea of where everyone stands right now considering I have been to both houston and dallas recently.

Xyro77

Because that would make the list very inaccurate. For all I know flip is the best in Texas, yet since he doesn't travel he shouldn't get a spot?

I've already reformed the panel. DMK/Leeharris have been gone for awhile. I'm not biased at all(considering my city has like no smashers lol) and neither is DMG or Dojo for the same reason. We all travel and have played almost everyone in texas more then once. Seth is still giving insight for houston, and fogo for dallas. I actually have a very good idea of where everyone stands right now considering I have been to both houston and dallas recently.
why consider people who dont travel? thats unfair to people who do travel and do decent OOC/OOS

CO18

Smash Hero
I made the list for you guys.

1. FOGO/Foursaken
1.5 Razer
2. Flip
3-15: Irrelevant

No Bias here.

But on a serious note.
Is razer most likely going to be first?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Because they're still good? The point is to rank people according to how good they are, not give bonuses to those who go everywhere.

EDIT: CO18, Razer isn't going to be above Flip.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
why consider people who dont travel? thats unfair to people who do travel and do decent OOC/OOS
Because Flip happens to live in the biggest smash scene in texas. If he lived in San Angelo and didn't travel of course he wouldn't even be considered. But he does have tournament placing and has proven to be one of the best players in texas. Since he's in such a huge scene, he doesn't need to travel as much.

This makes for conflicting arguments when comparing the skill of others to him though :/.

Xyro77

Because Flip happens to live in the biggest smash scene in texas. If he lived in San Angelo and didn't travel of course he wouldn't even be considered. But he does have tournament placing and has proven to be one of the best players in texas. Since he's in such a huge scene, he doesn't need to travel as much.

This makes for conflicting arguments when comparing the skill of others to him though :/.

i fully agree flip may be the ebst in tx i just find it odd that hes the ONE person who is the exception.

and dmk and leeharris are gone?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
i fully agree flip may be the ebst in tx i just find it odd that hes the ONE person who is the exception.

and dmk and leeharris are gone?
Yes, they are gone. Or at least not taking part in discussing the rankings.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
3 months seems like a good time to change this then after WHOBO it would be a good time to.
Power rankings:
City of dallas seems to have to step it up so i want to see how they will be.
other than that,
My captain falcon > Xyros Samus :) Hope I can make it to WHOBO to play that match

Xyro77

3 months seems like a good time to change this then after WHOBO it would be a good time to.
Power rankings:
City of dallas seems to have to step it up so i want to see how they will be.
other than that,
My captain falcon > Xyros Samus :) Hope I can make it to WHOBO to play that match

the only falcon that came close was dojos......and he didnt win.

so go back to your garbage bin, mr trash!!!!!

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
I actually have a very good idea of where everyone stands right now considering I have been to both houston and dallas recently.
That's what i was gonna say, i pretty much back your opinion on texas smashers ATM

I made the list for you guys.

1. FOGO/Foursaken
1.5 Razer
2. Flip
3-15: Irrelevant

No Bias here.

But on a serious note.
Is razer most likely going to be first?
Ahhhh yeeeaaaah

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm going to have to try even harder. I haven't been to anything since FS5, and I ain't going to be getting on any PRs if I don't continue doing well.

Regardless, I look forward to the new list.
One now, then an update after WHOBO sounds about right.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Le THieN's Version of the TX Power Rankings

Even though Oklahoma and Texas are technically inter-region rivals, I still have a lot of love for the state that I grew up in. For lots of obvious reasons, Texas is the only other state in the country that I've kept really close tabs on. I'm always fascinated at not only how mercurial tournament results tend to be there; but also at the astounding rate of growth at which established players exhibit and how left-field new blood seemingly storms the rankings every couple of months.

I've been compiling small data over the last several months since I entered the competitive scene on Texan Brawlers that I've faced or observed in tournaments. Most of it is in the form of tourney standings, but some of it also consists of free-association notes that I jot down from time to time. Here is what the my information yielded:

1. Roy_R
  2. Ultimate Razer
  3. Dojo
  4. Infinity
  5. FlipHop
  6. Dr. Mario Guy
  7. Espy
  8. D4bA
  9. Melee1
  10. Sethlon
  11. T-Rex
  12. Hylian
  13. Santi
  14. UTD Zac
  15. Mr. 3000
I'm in no way trying to pass off my version of your power rankings as any sort of empirical truth, but rather as evidence that I've thought about these rankings in a methodical and calculating manner.

If anything else, I think my impressions of the overall talent in Texas are most bereft of bias, simply by proxy of the fact that I'm technically an outsider with limited immersion into the Texas scene. I'm also not posting this in order to argue for its legitimacy or to defend the logic I used to arrive at the final product. This is simply food for thought; something to meditate on until the TX Panel gets the ball rolling again.

I hope that no one takes future updates to this list too personally, too. People still need to realize that Brawl is still a fledgling fighter whose meta-game is still developing by leaps and bounds, and the fact that any state is considering doing power rankings this early in the lifespan of a game is speculative entertainment at best. These things are a great resource to draw motivation and inspiration from, but I would at least wait until skill levels, player tendencies and regional trends knuckle down a little bit by this next summer before people start people start pouring out blood, sweat and tears on the path toward regional recognition.

The only other thing that I have derived with 100% certainty from this exercise is that Texas is crazy-****ing-competitive. Keep it up, guys.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
  1. Roy_R
  2. Ultimate Razer
  3. Dojo
  4. Infinity
  5. FlipHop
  6. Dr. Mario Guy
  7. Espy
  8. D4bA
  9. Melee1
  10. Sethlon
  11. T-Rex
  12. Hylian
  13. Santi
  14. UTD Zac
  15. Mr. 3000

I agree with the people you included on this list, but I disagree with some of your standings/rankings. But as you said, it is food for thought mostly.

CO18

Smash Hero
So Flip and I are playing in the losers finals of GB's playoffs. Winner gets guaranteed 750 bucks then goes on to play dabuz in grand finals for a 1250$ match.

If he beats me that should make him 1st on your PR!!!

Jk, but how do you guys manage to get like 70 people at your tourneys regardless of area :/

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
So Flip and I are playing in the losers finals of GB's playoffs. Winner gets guaranteed 750 bucks then goes on to play dabuz in grand finals for a 1250$ match.

If he beats me that should make him 1st on your PR!!!

Jk, but how do you guys manage to get like 70 people at your tourneys regardless of area :/
Eh, it's usually only the larger monthly tourneys that get around that much. U won't see that much at a Waco or Austin tourney for example, where as something like FS5, Hobo, And some of the Dallas tourneys attract more people.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Yeah usually the Hobos generate alot of money due to the advertising that they gave out at Planet Zero and such. Good luck CO18 ^_^ $750 money match mirite?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
flip, more like $250 mm because loser keeps $500, but i can't wait fr my $1,250 mm with one of you, and yeash, i had to post here cause my name wa mentioned...:051:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Have the panelists even gotten together to discuss the PR for Texas?
I really shouldn't ask though, I kinda already know the answer.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
We're getting there, we've got a lot to cover.

Dojo

Smash Champion
It's really hard to tell when results for people bounce around here and there. We're trying to get this as right as possible this time. We're working on it, give us some time. ;)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Bumping for good justice.

At the very least, will we have a date to expect the new PR?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I vote for spot #9 on the PR. I think it fits my character ;)
Honestly, who else throws a judgment on the first attempt every match.

Nah I don't care about PR that much. But I'm glad to see some progress being made. Good work. Let's update this.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Can we pleeeeease get this done soon guys? Or get like a date for them go be done? Sooooooo many tournaments have happened since the last update and soooooo many things have changed with a ton of new faces coming into the scene, but all you guys say is "we're working on it" and "it will be done soon" :(:(:(

</beg>

Dojo

Smash Champion
I think I've found a good way to get this done right. There's been so many issues with Roy supposedly being amazing again but not showing, Flip doing well but not traveling, and inconsistent placements for some. We've come to alot of disagreement and debate over just the top 3 lately, along with the rest of the list as well.

I believe I've found a way to establish some kind of form to get this done right, since people have wanted to have them for so long. It can start with Hobo 14. I've talked to Xyro, and he's willing to make Hobo 14 a legal MK tournament statewide. The deadline will be the Monday after that, March 9th. This will mark the 1 year anniversary of Brawl.

As a panel, we need to take some initiative to get this done. To settle all this debate, let's make Hobo 14 the deciding tournament. It's approximately 3 weeks from now, which can give everybody time to show and rep themselves. We will still be able to accommodate these results with the past few tourney results. If somebody doesn't show, don't expect to be placed as high as you should feel based on just the past. We're not trying to show what we think is correct. We're trying to be as accurate as possible from all of the most recent tournament representation of each player. Don't expect it to be perfect. The list will evolve over time.

Thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom