• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas Power Rankings: So Incredibly Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Since the couldn't meet my generous deadline (with an extra 11 hours even!) I pulled the plug on this.

Hylian thinks he's taking this over, so look for a new list sometime before 2010!

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Of COURSE there should be a power ranking! Brawl's been out for a whole 3 months now!

Can I be the first one to call this stupid?

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I agree with bluezaft, it's a bit soon for this.

But let's go ahead and put me on there anyway. In fact, don't even bother putting my name. Just put "the sauce."

And I'm up for being a panelist. I also have the resources to get a discussion forum going on this.

There's no need to split Texas at the moment. If south Texas starts picking up steam soon (which it seems it will), then it would be split into North/South.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Of COURSE there should be a power ranking! Brawl's been out for a whole 3 months now!

Can I be the first one to call this stupid?
Interesting. Me and SX were just discussing how it's WAY too early for any kind of rankings for players. Though you do have to admit, there has been alot of advancement in Brawl advanced play lately ^.^ Of course, I'd suggest giving it another couple months. Like, after summer's end. At least by then more players (other then Hylian) will be available for panelists, and also give it time for some of the younger players to develop skill. Of course, I try not to make sense most of the time anyways.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Uh..Texas has had just as many if not more Brawl tournaments then California. We have had pleanty of tournaments to have a PR list. The problem is though, Dallas and Houston haven't really played yet. Mr 3000 and his brother went to 1 Dallas tournament and then there was Akon...I have been to enough tournaments to know almost how everyone should be ranked, but I would have trouble with Roy_R/Wobbles/Sethlon. Honestly, I would have no idea who would win if Roy_R or Sethlon played wobbles. Wobbles beat me at A-kon, but Roy_R and Sethlon have both beaten me in tournament as well, and I have only played wobbles once. Sethlon beat me the first tournament we played, though now I am 5-1 against him. Roy_R and I are about even in tournament I think. Sethlon got 9th at AZoneTwoStep while Wobbles got 33rd >_>. It's really confusing.

So I would probably need help deciding that. The problem is that there is no reason for Dallas and Houston to travel. Both cities have tournaments every weekend. I don't think either city will travel much over the summer, so it's pointless to wait until then.

With that being said, if we split it North/South then Dallas would be pretty much by itself in the north... I think we should just have one list with about 15 people or so.

So far, here are the top players from different cities:

Dallas:
1. Wobbles
2. Infinity
3. Melee1

Austin:
1. Hylian
2. Pozerwolf
3. Dr. Mario Kart

Houston:
1. Sethlon/Roy_R
2. Stiltzkin
3. Mr. 3000/T-rex
(Houston has a few more to be considered as well)

Random other good people:
Dojo
Pax
Jra
I'm ready to get started on this once we get some more panelists.

Some suggestions for panelists:

Sethlon (He doesn't really seem biased about anything and knows the Houston scene and travels)
From Dallas: Drew or Wobbles would both be good fair panelists in my eyes.

DMK is the most traveled texas smasher aside from myself, so maybe him although he isn't too active on the boards.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
but those regions have never played.

how are we to determine the rankings between those regions?

Drew you don't even play this game, stop trying to force some credibility on it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
but those regions have never played.

how are we to determine the rankings between those regions?

Drew you don't even play this game, stop trying to force some credibility on it.
They have played. All 3 austin players have been to many Houston tournaments and DMK and I have been to like 3 dallas ones. 3000/Trex have played some of dallas and so has Sethlon. Making a list with just Austin and Houston would be pretty easy, it would just be hard throwing the 3 top dallas players in.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
There is no point in putting me on rankings, since I am taking what will probably be a long hiatus from Smash (Melee and Brawl).

Also, my AZOTS ranking is based on the performance of my amazing Wario and Sheik, since I decided before the tournament that I wasn't going to play seriously. I easily would have gotten like, 29th if I'd been using MK. Maybe even 28th.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I'd be down in Houston, Austin and San Antonio (LOVE that place) more if I wasn't jobless and mostly broke. Hopefully that'll get fixed soon.

What we really need is a tournament in like the Waco area where it's not too far for everyone to go to so we can all play this out and determine more definitely who stands where. Hell, we could have a tournament in West and everyone could even have some of those awesome Kolaches.

mmmm, Kolaches...

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Hylian: just because other regions have power rankings doesn't mean that the time is right. I agree that we have had more data than most other regions, but they all jumped the gun. There's no point in us doing that too. I say at least wait until around August when the tourney scene cools down a little.

Just make me my own region. My balls are too large to be confined to one city.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol.

This wasn't my idea, this was Altf4 getting all productive about other state's PR lists and asking what should be done about Texas.

So I decided to make this topic to test the waters.

Personally I think a list made now will be just as inaccurate as a list made 6 months from now so the question of when to make it isn't a huge deal.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
lol.

This wasn't my idea, this was Altf4 getting all productive about other state's PR lists and asking what should be done about Texas.

So I decided to make this topic to test the waters.

Personally I think a list made now will be just as inaccurate as a list made 6 months from now so the question of when to make it isn't a huge deal.
That's what I was thinking. Doesn't really matter when, as the list is going to be changing a lot. What point system did you use for the Melee PR?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What's the point of making a list if it won't be accurate?
Did you even read Drews post?

And it would be somewhat accurate and at least let other states know the good players in texas, despite the order.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Of course I read it. I don't agree that the list would be inaccurate 6 months from now. It would be far more accurate. That's like trying to create a tier list now.

And honestly, what is the point of a power rankings list if it isn't accurate? For e-peen? To make someone feel special? Why do we need a list if it's not accurate? What benefit will we reap from having a list this soon?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
This wasn't my idea, this was Altf4.
Lol! Hey! I've been getting a constant stream of messages and requests to do Brawl Power rankings! It's not just me, lol.

Besides, it's not like you have to make a single definitive and accurate list right off the bat. You can just do a top 10 in the state in no particular order. Just something to work off of for future iterations.

Currently Az's is fairly out of date, for example. The order of many players surely needs to be switched, but the people on there are for the lost part accurate.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Dallas:
1. Wobbles
2. Infinity
3. Melee1

Austin:
1. Hylian
2. Pozerwolf
3. Dr. Mario Kart

Houston:
1. Sethlon/Roy_R
2. Stiltzkin
3. Mr. 3000/T-rex
(Houston has a few more to be considered as well)

Random other good people:
Dojo
Pax
Jra
This is perfect. This is our power rankings. Done! Attempting to arrange the entire state into a list is really ********. Just thinking that a power rankings 3 months into a game's life means anything is even more ********. It's kind of like when all those noobs wanted Gimpyfish to make a character tier list after the E 4 All demo.

We follow Arizona's example because they're stupid and made a power rankings after one (1) tournament. And AltF4 shouldn't listen to dumb noobs.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Now, now, Bluezaft! We've had far more than one tournament.

I'm not saying it isn't early, but you certainly have a vague idea of who's starting to come out on top and who's not.

And lastly, don't be so quick to look down on random noobs. We were all one at some time, wanting to be among the best players. I see no reason not to compile a list, even an inaccurate one, so that new players know who the creme of the crop is.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Who's bluezaft

whatta noobboob

Let people have their Power Rankings if they wish. They don't affect you in any way.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
AltF4, he's not saying random noobs suck and blah. He's saying that we have only played this game for 3 months, that's not even half of a year!

Seriously, consider that there hasn't been enough time for power rankings. It just sounds ridiculous.

EDIT:: An accurate list of all good players:

Dallas Players

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
i should be a panel guy. after all i run 80% of TEXAS tournaments and 100% of houstons.

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
I've probably been to more tournaments than ANYONE. Even if I'm not exactly the best myself, I've seen a lot of things in a lot of places.

3/15/08 - 2/18 - San Antonio (Genesis Comics)
3/29/08 - 3/60 - Dallas (Play N'Trade)
4/05/08 - 3/40 - Houston (Play N'Trade)
4/12/08 - 9/63 - Houston (Trashday)
4/19/08 - 5/64 - San Antonio (Final Smash 3)
5/03/08 - 5/81 - Houston (Planet Zero)
5/10/08 - 3/35 - Baton Rouge (3LT)
_______- 1/32 - 3LT FFA
5/17/08 - 3/42 - Edinburg (Battle at the Border)
5/31/08 - 16/128 - Dallas (A-Kon)[single elim]
6/07/08 - 25/83 - Houston (Planet Zero)
6/09/08 - 3/47 - Dallas (Comic Book Craze)
6/14/08 - 3/56 - Tulsa (Joe Momma's)

bluezaft

The True Zaft
i should be a panel guy. after all i run 80% of TEXAS tournaments and 100% of houstons.
Dallas has on average one or two tournaments a week, ranging from 16 person biweeklies to large 60+ person tournaments. There were actually three this week, not to mention a smashfest. That makes Dallas' smash scene about 4-8 times more active than Houston's.

Not relevant to the thread, just wanted to point out that you clearly don't know what's going on outside of Houston. The Dallas scene is just plain amazing--not to mention there are plenty of people still very much into Melee.

And to AltF4: Your first PR list was made after one tournament. And I've got no problems with noobs in general, just that special kind of noob that makes all the Brawl forums a toxic swamp and thinks that making character tier lists and regional power rankings in a game's infancy are good ideas.

If the purpose of this power ranking is for people to know who the "creme of the crop" is than Hylian's post that I quoted earlier is perfect. Trying to arranging all those names in a single list is nothing more than a fabrication.

Texas is just too big for one right now. Almost zero travel (besides Hylian and DMK, and that one single elimination tournament at Akon) has occurred between the major smash scenes, so comparison is obviously impossible.

I wouldn't say anything if I thought that a Texas PR would have some redeeming value, but there is nothing to be gained that Hylian's post wouldn't accomplished. Certainly nothing worth the huge sacrifice in accuracy required to make a single list, and the stigmas that would be attached to the players involved.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
I'm Dark Meow, and I approve this message.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Xyro77

Dallas has on average one or two tournaments a week, ranging from 16 person biweeklies to large 60+ person tournaments. There were actually three this week, not to mention a smashfest. That makes Dallas' smash scene about 4-8 times more active than Houston's.

Not relevant to the thread, just wanted to point out that you clearly don't know what's going on outside of Houston. The Dallas scene is just plain amazing--not to mention there are plenty of people still very much into Melee.

And to AltF4: Your first PR list was made after one tournament. And I've got no problems with noobs in general, just that special kind of noob that makes all the Brawl forums a toxic swamp and thinks that making character tier lists and regional power rankings in a game's infancy are good ideas.

If the purpose of this power ranking is for people to know who the "creme of the crop" is than Hylian's post that I quoted earlier is perfect. Trying to arranging all those names in a single list is nothing more than a fabrication.

Texas is just too big for one right now. Almost zero travel (besides Hylian and DMK, and that one single elimination tournament at Akon) has occurred between the major smash scenes, so comparison is obviously impossible.

I wouldn't say anything if I thought that a Texas PR would have some redeeming value, but there is nothing to be gained that Hylian's post wouldn't accomplished. Certainly nothing worth the huge sacrifice in accuracy required to make a single list, and the stigmas that would be attached to the players involved.

sorry, i just dont notice cities who arnt good at brawl.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
sorry, i just dont notice cities who arnt good at brawl.
Maybe you should pay attention to Dallas then. T-rex got 3 stocked in tournament there, and T-rex/3000/Sethlon have all lost to Dallas players in tournament.
And before you say anything about IC's, I watched Sethlon vs Melee1 and Melee1 did not chaingrab and still won. Sethlon can confirm this. You don't know anyones skill outside of houston, sorry.

And Bluezaft, I like that idea. I will try to do a top 5 for each city, then post them here, along with a list of our definite best players, in no order. I will also keep it updated.

Sound good? I doubt anyone would disagree with the list I will make.

Xyro77

Maybe you should pay attention to Dallas then. T-rex got 3 stocked in tournament there, and T-rex/3000/Sethlon have all lost to Dallas players in tournament.
And before you say anything about IC's, I watched Sethlon vs Melee1 and Melee1 did not chaingrab and still won. Sethlon can confirm this. You don't know anyones skill outside of houston, sorry.

And Bluezaft, I like that idea. I will try to do a top 5 for each city, then post them here, along with a list of our definite best players, in no order. I will also keep it updated.

Sound good? I doubt anyone would disagree with the list I will make.
Houston top 5:

Seth
RoyR
Stiltz
Mr.3k
T-rex

bluezaft

The True Zaft
If you do 5 per city, don't have them in any particular order. It would just be begging for unnecessary arguments (well, at least for Dallas). I know is our top 3 is Wobbles, Infinity, and Melee1. Honestly, I'd rather it just be left at that.

Xyro77

If you do 5 per city, don't have them in any particular order. It would just be begging for unnecessary arguments (well, at least for Dallas). I know is our top 3 is Wobbles, Infinity, and Melee1. Honestly, I'd rather it just be left at that.
yea i agree. so just consider the list i gave as a top 5 in no specific order. And the list is going to 15 right?

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
The problem with top 5 in Houston/Dallas/whatever is power rankings aren't supposed to be below the state level.

And a lot of people seem to be misinterpreting what this topic is for. This topic isn't to make a list it's to find out who is qualified to make a list, as well as to decide if it's even worthwhile to make a list now/ever. You could also make the case for why the list should have X amount of players on it as well.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
I guess.... drew ftw?

I don't know, you have such a big state, and it's so confusing. I'm moving to a regular polygon now.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I want to say it again.

Leave. Me. Out. I'm. Done. Playing.

Also, can we possibly do this nonsense without the flaming? I mean, we Arizona players wholeheartedly support trash talk, but we have two rules for it:

1) It must serve a practical purpose
and/or
2) It must be funny

Please guys, civility. Do you speak it?

forkgirl

Smash Lord
not to be the annoying person who always brings up melee in every brawl discussion >.>

but melee is not dead. Texas is still pretty darn active in melee (even if there aren't many tx melee tournaments, we still have people that travel, and we still have top players.) I don't see why we shouldn't have a PR for melee. If its because some panelists are lazy and dont turn in their lists, then get new panelists. Texas has enough players to make a power ranking worthwhile. In fact, maybe having a PR will help the melee community in Texas.

also, (for melee OR brawl) imo splitting Texas up (by cities or north/south) seems...idk, seems like it defeats the purpose of a PR. Maybe just split them now, and have FS4 be a deciding factor??

also also, I don't think it's too early for a brawl pr. Sure its only been out a few months, but that doesn't change the fact that some players are a lot better than others and that a select few are better than the rest of the state (and can be recognized for it.) Plus power rankings are constantly evolving, so i see no harm in starting now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom