• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Talking vs Being Quiet During a Match

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
♫ My friends and I just talk during matches, but we don't insult each other and stuff like that. We just like to have funny conversations. ♫

Bailey

Smash Hero
I will never go OD in a match with trash talking though. I like to against people I know but most of the time they do it back lol

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Usually I always talk during matches.
It seems so boring to just sit there in silence when you're having fun playing a game with friends.

Sometimes I choose not to talk during really intense moments though.

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
well really it all depends on the type of play your going for but remember you may be playing for money or something (i can understand people getting mad when they lose a match for money) but the game is meant to be in two different persepictives. (family and friends play, or competivive matches in tourneys or for money).

i guess though it all depends on the people who's playing character though. i prefer myself to talk and have fun with the game but i do get serious sometimes

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It depends on the situation, if i'm playing aginst a srubby players, I will simply talk down on them and I mean hard, after they lose, but if it's a worthy, difficult opponent then I definetly keep my mouth shut since it helps me concentrate on the match rather than to make them feel bad.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
It depends on the situation, if i'm playing aginst a srubby players, I will simply talk down on them and I mean hard, after they lose, but if it's a worthy, difficult opponent then I definetly keep my mouth shut since it helps me concentrate on the match rather than to make them feel bad.
I always make sure that I'm not a prick when I play. I'm just LOUD and I laugh at EVERYTHING.

DRD

Smash Lord
I never use talking as an excuse. That's pathetic; that said I do like to talk during matches, but its always relevant to what is happening.

Because I've never been to a real tournament, I can't say how I would react in that situation though. Hopefully this year I'll finally have a chance to go to a tournament, now that I can drive.

Hyori

Smash Rookie
In tournament matches, I am focused on my match when I need to be. Most of the time I enjoy trash talking to watch my opponent react. It takes practice, just like playing guitar and singing at the same time.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
After I win I talk but not during. You dont wanna give the poor sap something to john about. People in your peripheral vision is a killer though. And its an interesting idea to try and use your ipod during a match and check out the effects.

TidalWave

Smash Apprentice
Usually I talk during friendlies, but not much. I still would never complain about someone talking, though... as long as it wasn't obvious that they were intentionally trying to distract me.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Normally, my talking depends on how well I know the person. I haven't spent much time with the people in my area, so I don't really talk much besides occasional observations and puns. I'm just shy like that >_>

But when I get with my cousin or one of my longtime friends, it's hardly like we're even playing. There's yelling, taunting, "YEEEEAAAAH BOY, WHAT'CHU GONNA DO? WHAT'CHU GONNA DO!!!!!", etc. going on on the whole time.
most epic signature EVER.

I don't talk much during matches, during friendlies with someone I sometimes keep yelling at him what not to do.

They often do it.

QED

Smash Apprentice
I think it all depends on the situation and opponent. Many people trashtalk in friendlies against their best friends which I find totally acceptable. In a tourney match, I think it would be nice if you observe your opponent. If he/she is dead silent and concentrating, might as well let him/her play in peace. If he/she is talking and you don't mind talking, why not?

I recently got into the Melee scene and I get trashed everywhere I go. I know I'm newb but I don't like total strangers putting me down on something I already know I'm bad at. A friendly advice is always good imo. But so far most people have been really nice to me (<3 socal Melee community).

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
A friendly advice is always good imo. But so far most people have been really nice to me (<3 socal Melee community).
The Melee community is great because of that. One learns from EVERYBODY, and the average smasher is really nice and willing to help.

Binx

Smash Master
When I'm playing for serious I kind of trance out and I don't talk much, during friendlies and in between deaths I usually say something, I spend the better portion of my pre spawn time saying funny stuff, oh man I got foolied. Thingslike that.

NOHK

Smash Apprentice
i think it really just depends on the players style and personality. I personally enjoy talking, alot. Jokes, talkin' ****, regular conversations. I love it all

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Talking seems to keep me calmer. Like if I get owned by the other guy and I say that was badass, it makes the other guy feel better and makes me accept that just happened to myself better. If I can keep a positive humilty about myself I naturally will adapt much quicker and want to try. Usually matches are quick enough to be able to say something funny to myself or the other guy every 5 seconds or so, so it does seem like conversation is going on but I never really do anything to continuous.

That Dooder

Smash Rookie
I'm usually quiet, but I'll talk during a match if someone talks to me.

And Parker... dude, you're friggin' hilarious with all the things you say. xD You definitely liven the room up with your quirkyness.

BrandonOwnageking

Smash Journeyman
HAHA i do both depends on how im feeling that day. when i play friendlies at tournaments im out going and talk a lot. During actual matches i usually adapt to the person im playing. if they are up beat and happy ill be up beat and happy if they are serious and bland. i become a little bit more serious. Its just how i roll

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I don't care if someone else is talking, but during a serious match I'm silent. I'm relatively quiet during friendlies as well, but I'll talk here and there.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
At Ltec2 Forward had to play dashizwiz the robot, and return **** talk to all of the florida smashers who were standing around watching grand finals, simultaneously.

Thats badass, I think I wouldve just lost my temper, froze up and lost

I think its rude to ask people questions during a match but its important to be able to outwit as well as outplay your opponent

Headphones = the ultimate defense

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
headphones = you're screwed if you rely on audio clues in the game to signal when you're supposed to powershield, sdi, etc.

but if you're working purely off visuals then they're stupidly broken.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
Ya never even thought about using sounds to help in the game. Do you time lasers that way or something?
Alot of times, I use the yell that a character makes (i.e. The "hyut!" Falcon makes) before a smash attack to help me react to a move before he/she does it, lol. You got five senses. Use them, lol.

Top Bottom