• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Personally if I could rewrite Dual destinies i would make it so Athena was introduced later in the story, giving us more time with Apollo and Trucy's dynamic, kept Hobo Nick around a little longer and actually introduced clay to the audience.

Maybe have it like:
Case 1: Apollo with Clay at the assistant side to justify the tutorial

Case 2:Apollo with Trucy

Case 3: Apollo with Clay

Case 4: Apollo with Trucy (First half) Apollo and Athena (Second half)

Case 5: Apollo and Athena

Something like that
I like that. Personally, my version of DD would go like:
Case 1: Wright (from beginning to end, since Apollo is currently unavailable at that point, and this way we get to go straight to his comeback. Athena wouldn't be a lawyer yet so the beginning would be more like the Demo version of DD... remember that? ) Assistant: Athena
Case 2: Apollo (Have him meet Athena during the 2nd day to have Trucy as the assistant for a while) also have Clay show up somewhere because come on.
Case 3: Athena (During the investigation and mock trial, i think she deserves that at least, just not selling her as a protagonist in the first place to avoid disappointment) and then Apollo for the trial.
Case 4: Apollo, then Wright, as normal.
Case 5 Wright as normal up until the part where Apollo stops being emo. As Blackquill replaces Edgeworth, the player takes control of Apollo until the end.
Case 6: It's filler, so take the chance to show more of Apollo assisted by Trucy during the investigations. Then Athena steps in to help him in the trials. Wright's actual first case after his return would be Case 1 instead.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have a question. Why is Phoenix not considered a famous bigshot lawyer after he beat Manfred in court? Ending his spotless record was like the biggest accomplishment a defense attorney could achieve.
Well, the thing is, it's a satire and defense attorneys get no respect. However, he actually DOES get a bit of a reputation by game 4, we just don't often see it. It's why the entire latter half of the series is really interesting and impactful for reasons. The fourth game explores a lot of very cool concepts regarding it, they're just not very surface-level, and when Dual Destinies actually builds on and explores those concepts even further they're wrapped up in a bit of hand-wringing (but conceptually still totally awesome).

Krankees

Smash Ace
I noticed something.
Game Awards: Takes place in Los Angeles.
Ace Attorney Localization: Takes place in "Los Angeles".

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I noticed something.
Game Awards: Takes place in Los Angeles.
Ace Attorney Localization: Takes place in "Los Angeles".
Oh yeah. It totally takes place in Los Angeles. There's absolutely nothing wrong about that... look at those pink trees, the Kitaki family and the tasty "hamburgers". All elements of our american game that takes place in america.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I love the "Japanifornia" setting. It's amusing but you get used to it after a while and it becomes charming.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean to be fair canonically the game takes place, according to localization director Janet Hsu, in a timeline where Japanese immigration wasn't stymied around the world wars, allowing for more cross-cultural diversity. I always really liked that explanation, and it makes for a layered and textured world.

I feel like if it wasn't for the careful and clever localization, this series wouldn't have succeeded in the US at all.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Oh yeah. It totally takes place in Los Angeles. There's absolutely nothing wrong about that... look at those pink trees, the Kitaki family and the tasty "hamburgers". All elements of our american game that takes place in america.

Trauma Center localization is probably worse in that regard however, given all the switcheroos as to where each game takes place, where the transfers come from, etc.
Edit: not that I find any of the AA localizations bad (ouside of maybe DD due to the amount of typos), but the setting transformation can be pretty silly.

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Canonically, in the English releases of DD, a bunch of yokai got on a boat to travel from Japan to Los Angelos just to screw with some village, apparently.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I mean to be fair canonically the game takes place, according to localization director Janet Hsu, in a timeline where Japanese immigration wasn't stymied around the world wars, allowing for more cross-cultural diversity. I always really liked that explanation, and it makes for a layered and textured world.

I feel like if it wasn't for the careful and clever localization, this series wouldn't have succeeded in the US at all.
I like this explanation too. Even if it means the rakugo stuff in case 6-4 was really pushing it xD

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That will never not be the funniest bad translation moment.
You mean localization, seeing as 4Kids' main goal was to change the shows to the point that no one would see that they came from Japan anymore.

I mean really, for an episode of Ultraman Tiga, they passed off a character's untranslated dialogue as an alien language...

Now that's more sensible. Never knew of that tidbit, it's rather interesting.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
While we wait for either verge/sabi to give their stance on Capcom or fighter 5 to be revealed, here's a tweet with Kirby's VA and Sakurai hanging around the Kirby cafe
boy if I ain't jelly of Japan getting all these cool customized videogame cafes, but especially this one

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Huh, so Geoff Keighley is Japanifornian? Wasn't aware of that. :4pacman:

Jokes aside, I'm dreading a new post from Vergeben. Come on, we're so close to the turnabout...
I know that comparisons of this whole "Phoenix Wright in Smash" lead-up to the actual series have been made, but this specific situation and the way it could potentially play out reminds me of Turnabout Samurai, with Vergeben under the Miles Edgeworth role.

It looks like Phoenix Wright has lost this round, and "Miles Verge-worth" could easily just declare him deconfirmed right then and there... but then he does the unexpected: he instead objects to Wright's deconfirmation because he realizes there's false info being passed around, helping Phoenix Wright in the process.

At least, I hope this is how it all plays out. For all we know, Verge really will just declare Wright deconfirmed without a shred of mercy.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I know that comparisons of this whole "Phoenix Wright in Smash" lead-up to the actual series have been made, but this specific situation and the way it could potentially play out reminds me of Turnabout Samurai, with Vergeben under the Miles Edgeworth role.

It looks like Phoenix Wright has lost this round, and "Miles Verge-worth" could easily just declare him deconfirmed right then and there... but then he does the unexpected: he instead objects to Wright's deconfirmation because he realizes there's false info being passed around, helping Phoenix Wright in the process.

At least, I hope this is how it all plays out. For all we know, Verge really will just declare Wright deconfirmed without a shred of mercy.
We think Verge is Edgeworth, when in reality, he's von Karma.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
>Vergeben upon seeing everyone hoping for Phoenix Wright to pull a turnabout and make it into the Fighter 5 spot...
Now everything makes sense. The reason no one knows the truth is because Vergeben took the evidence for Phoenix away so no one would be able to find it.

He's afraid someone will deal another blow to his record, like the "Minecraft Content" person did 15 months ago.

Luckily for us, we still have the 4chan leak. Hopefully we can find a tripcode - the fingerprints of a leak - to make Vergeben pay for his crime.

...In hindsight... what the **** did I just write?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
You really thought you could deconfirm Wright so easily? Would be a real shame if I updated the autopsy report.

download__2_-removebg-preview.png

Krankees

Smash Ace
So apparently the Android version of DD and SOJ have problems with transferring save data and it won't be fixed until March.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God, even though I still want to hype responsibly and err on the side of caution, last night I had a dream that he really was revealed at TGAs. Sakurai even made a surprise appearance to intro the trailer.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
God, even though I still want to hype responsibly and err on the side of caution, last night I had a dream that he really was revealed at TGAs. Sakurai even made a surprise appearance to intro the trailer.
I had a weird dream where he is being revealed. But then he got hit by the Onett car and Apollo took his place... the subconscious is weird...

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
On my end, I'm actually glad these Smash dreams don't turn out true. After Joker, my dream was that the remaining 4 slots were Postal Guy, one of the robots from Portal, something from Wolfenstein (don't really remember) and some weird shooter character that was low-poly for whatever reason.

Fun fact: I'm not big on any of these games, so I've no idea why my brain put them forward in my sleep.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
On my end, I'm actually glad these Smash dreams don't turn out true. After Joker, my dream was that the remaining 4 slots were Postal Guy, one of the robots from Portal, something from Wolfenstein (don't really remember) and some weird shooter character that was low-poly for whatever reason.

Fun fact: I'm not big on any of these games, so I've no idea why my brain put them forward in my sleep.
It's funny; I've had a ton of Smash dreams, and I too had one where a low-poly shooter guy was revealed. His name was "Abraham From Battlefield" and I think he was supposed to rep Battlefield 1942. Super weird but funny.

Also Mike Tyson got in once but I missed his trailer in my dream because I was too busy talking to my partner.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I once had a dream where the fighters where against a giant wind-up toy of Wario that was just sitting there, and whose head was severed, while also having to dodge :bobomb:s.

My dreams are so boring...

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
One think that makes me sad is that if Phoenix gets in as DLC. We won't get some Ace Attorney material that could totally be in if he was in the base game.
Like some secret chatting with Maya. The gag potential is huge there.

Like this:

Makes me wish to see more for the full cast.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
One think that makes me sad is that if Phoenix gets in as DLC. We won't get some Ace Attorney material that could totally be in if he was in the base game.
Like some secret chatting with Maya. The gag potential is huge there.

Like this:

Makes me wish to see more for the full cast.
I actually think the way to go with these things is to not make them for every single character, just a few specific interactions. Same goes for Codec or Guidance. That way we could have more different stages with interactions while not having a crazy workload.

So we could get Codec, Guidance, Star Fox Team, Investigation, Tattle Log, Gruntilda's rhymes and others into the game too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I actually think the way to go with these things is to not make them for every single character, just a few specific interactions. Same goes for Codec or Guidance. That way we could have more different stages with interactions while not having a crazy workload.

So we could get Codec, Guidance, Star Fox Team, Investigation, Tattle Log, Gruntilda's rhymes and others into the game too.
The problem is, they don't want to leave anyone out in the base game. The Smash staff are really dedicated as workers.

The only reason they stopped making actual new codecs is because Colonel's Japanese VA died.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The problem is, they don't want to leave anyone out in the base game. The Smash staff are really dedicated as workers.

The only reason they stopped making actual new codecs is because Colonel's Japanese VA died.
Yeah, but it's either making these interactions for every character and then not getting new ones (like Navigation for Joker or Gruntilda for Banjo) or sharing the workload between interactions and not getting as many for each.

Either way, in game dev, blood sacrifices have to be made sometimes.

I'd still be happy with Phoenix, even if we got no special interactions with him.

Top Bottom