• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
If it's not Wright and/or Capcom, and all these deconfirmations so far have been true, I'm really not sure who FP5 could be. My other two most wants besides Wright are two indie characters, which both have a presence on Switch but aren't nearly as likely as Wright imo. Whoever it is, I just hope they're a fun character to play as or against, like Wright likely would be.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It feels like the biggest contender are Phoenix, Sol, and Reimu. I would honestly love it if any of them is fighter 5.

Now watch us being all wrong, with Amateratsu being fighter 5.
I think the smash community really overestimated Reimu's chances. I wouldn't mind her since it would finally be a girl in the fighter pass and she looks interesting enough. But I just don't think it's happening.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Besides Capcom who hasn't been deconfirmed (Whatever if the Geno thread wants to believe in a random post), I don't see many other candidates that aren't niche. I know Terry was niche. But he represents an entire company that influenced the industry of fighting games.
It could be.. Sol? Travis? Sakura? Neku Sakuraba?
Or it's a Nintendo character and it has been under our noses the entire time.
I'm guessing you consider double dipping fine given some of your suggestions? Kirbyworshipper named a few companies a few pages back (I'll edit this post with them after I find the message edit: Marvelous, Grasshoper, Natsume, Interplay, alongside some unnamed Indies), but I'd say SEGA could potentially push Arle or Kiryu as well (they have plenty of other franchises too but I'm not sure how big, recognizable or demanded they're in contrast, or if Sakurai has any particular bias to favor them lol, maybe Phantasy Star?).
As for Square...there's Crono, a Bravely rep, Octopath Traveler, someone from Nier, Lara Croft, maybe even the guy from Deus Ex? I think their next candidate (if they get anything else) is not as clear cut as Hero was before.
I take Spencers comment as a soft disconfirmation for these, but I guess MS could push Steve or MC still, maybe even another Rare rep like Fulgore or something, but I consider that among the unlikeliest of double dipping possibilities, only above SNK imo.
I'll also say I have a hard time taking a Touhou rep chances all that seriously when it feels like most of the series clout comes from fan projects and not official content, but that might be my ignorance on how the hell the IP is handled speaking. I admit I have a particular bias against the idea as it reminds me of someone I really can't stand.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Keep in mind, Sabi has a better track record than Verge. It's so good that Nintendo even had to take action against her before a Direct aired, so she refers to all her leaks as "rumors" now.

Though I wasn’t exactly betting on Sora to begin with.
Same. I mean, seriously, he would be too complex legally to prepare in time for the fighter pass anyway, he can wait for later.

It feels like the biggest contender are Phoenix, Sol, and Reimu. I would honestly love it if any of them is fighter 5.

Now watch us being all wrong, with Amateratsu being fighter 5.
Or King Boo. :4pacman:

There's always someone the least expected at the end of a reveal pattern, take it from me.

If it's not Wright and/or Capcom, and all these deconfirmations so far have been true, I'm really not sure who FP5 could be. My other two most wants besides Wright are two indie characters, which both have a presence on Switch but aren't nearly as likely as Wright imo. Whoever it is, I just hope they're a fun character to play as or against, like Wright likely would be.
Finally, someone that gets it! Characters at the end of a pattern tend to have the most fun movesets. :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If the final character is Phoenix, how would you guys rate the Fighters Pass overall?

I'd consider it almost close to perfect, considering Persona, Banjo, and Ace Attorney were basically among the last three significant video game series that I enjoy that have not yet been represented in Smash. Or at least ones that I have a long history with. Probably a 4.5/5 overall.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
2-3 more Square characters? Nah, I ain't buying that for a second bud.
If the final character is Phoenix, how would you guys rate the Fighters Pass overall?

I'd consider it almost close to perfect, considering Persona, Banjo, and Ace Attorney were basically among the last three significant video game series that I enjoy that have not yet been represented in Smash. Or at least ones that I have a long history with. Probably a 4.5/5 overall.
Honestly, even if I'm indifferent towards DQ and FF at the end of the day, I think this pass has been pretty fantastic so far, massive improvement over how Sm4sh handled things. Even if we count :ultpiranha: I think it's kind of a cool character as long as they don't repeat the playable random mook card again.
I just hope that the last character is someone I can at least respect and find cool as an addition even if it's not neccesarily someone I want.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the pass was a winner for me as soon as Joker got in. He was a character I’d discussed a while back in pre-release as being “get the hell out of here”-tier, “you wish” material, so when he got announced, it was basically like a fever dream.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'm guessing you consider double dipping fine given some of your suggestions? Kirbyworshipper named a few companies a few pages back (I'll edit this post with them after I find the message edit: Marvelous, Grasshoper, Natsume, Interplay, alongside some unnamed Indies), but I'd say SEGA could potentially push Arle or Kiryu as well (they have plenty of other franchises too but I'm not sure how big, recognizable or demanded they're in contrast, or if Sakurai has any particular bias to favor them lol, maybe Phantasy Star?).
As for Square...there's Crono, a Bravely rep, Octopath Traveler, someone from Nier, Lara Croft, maybe even the guy from Deus Ex? I think their next candidate (if they get anything else) is not as clear cut as Hero was before.
I take Spencers comment as a soft disconfirmation for these, but I guess MS could push Steve or MC still, maybe even another Rare rep like Fulgore or something, but I consider that among the unlikeliest of double dipping possibilities, only above SNK imo.
I'll also say I have a hard time taking a Touhou rep chances all that seriously when it feels like most of the series clout comes from fan projects and not official content, but that might be my ignorance on how the hell the IP is handled speaking. I admit I have a particular bias against the idea as it reminds me of someone I really can't stand.
I'm literally checkin all that SEGA might have to offer. Yakuza, Sakura Wars or Valkyrie Chronicles seem like the highest frontrunners.
Technically... :ultjoker: was an Atlus pick. They are still a separate company from Sega (If Sega made a new console Atlus would be their Monolith Soft). So maybe Sakurai doesn't consider him a Sega rep after all.

But UNTIL Capcom gets mentioned by Sabi or Vergeben. They are still on the running.
Not only Phoenix. Also Joe, Ammy, Censored Morrigan, and so on...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As much as I want Phoenix for FP5, this is my prediction. Apologies for the crudeness. What do you guys think?
View attachment 250486
Seeing how fan predictions tend to not be accurate, this one is just asking to be finger-snapped by the Smash staff, sorry. Most of those would be cool to me though.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Heihachi's super-toast.

Honestly, the pass was a winner for me as soon as Joker got in. He was a character I’d discussed a while back in pre-release as being “get the hell out of here”-tier, “you wish” material, so when he got announced, it was basically like a fever dream.
Same. It helps that all the weirdness in the VGAs made it feel like a fever dream. In my case, I was at least someone I'd be cool with, but seemingly waiting Smash 6 first.

By the way, it's the anniversary of Joker's reveal today!

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Finally, someone that gets it! Characters at the end of a pattern tend to have the most fun movesets. :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:
Can't forget :ultincineroar: too, haha.

Might be jumping the gun, and I feel like even if Wright gets in I'd want to get my hands on him first to get a better idea of how he plays, but assuming he's just the best thing ever, I'd say the FP's was pretty solid. Joker's kinda eh to me, Banjo and especially Hero are dumb fun characters, and Terry falls somewhere in between (I always mess up the simple input for Buster Wolf rip). I'm talking how they play rather than the character themselves, as the only character I really cared about outside of Smash was Banjo, and even then I was moreso happy for those fans since I've never played their games. Better than 4's DLC lineup, although that isn't entirely fair since half of it was returning characters, and Ultimate's DLC cast at the end of its lifecycle is likely going to be much larger.

Even if we count :ultpiranha: I think it's kind of a cool as long as they don't repeat the playable random mook card again.
u wot? Hell nah, we need to get Blooper in here next. Poor fella got cut from the Mario Party roster after one outing, they need the limelight again.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm literally checkin all that SEGA might have to offer. Yakuza, Sakura Wars or Valkyrie Chronicles seem like the highest frontrunners.
I'd say Valkyria Chronicles chances are pretty much nonexistant after how VC4 tanked (for good reasons mind you, game was pretty bleh). I believe the previous spinoff did pretty badly as well.
Also, I'm pretty sure that Heihachi's super-toast.
I imagined his VA passing pretty much screwed over his likeness to be in the game, it's not that I expect him to be retired as a whole given his significance to Tekken, but to make someone new debut on a guest appearance rather than a brand new game in the franchise...I dunno, it feels off to me. Whether someone else can take the torch from him as a 3D fighting game rep is yet to be seen.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Phoenix Wright would be an amazigly high note for me, he's one of my most wanted. I didn't actively want any of the fighters, but they're all awesome, so finishing with a fighter that would be ultra fun to play, that I acively wanted, and that I lost hope for at some point? 10/10, Perfect pass for me.

As much as I want Phoenix for FP5, this is my prediction. Apologies for the crudeness. What do you guys think?
View attachment 250486
I don't think that it's what the dlc is going to look like. While I do think of Dante, Hayabusa, Sora, Crash, and at least Lloyd or Heihachi as likely, I also believe that spirits disconfirm, so no Geno or Rayman(big sad). I also think that we're going to get Arle and Sol eventualy.

StormC

Smash Hero
Heihachi isn't out because of the VA. Heihachi was in a mobile game earlier this year.
Technically... :ultjoker: was an Atlus pick. They are still a separate company from Sega (If Sega made a new console Atlus would be their Monolith Soft). So maybe Sakurai doesn't consider him a Sega rep after all.
Trying to find it now, but there was a copyright pages that listed Joker with both Atlus and Sega copyrights, so I'm sure he's considered a Sega rep.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I imagined his VA passing pretty much screwed over his likeness to be in the game, it's not that I expect him to be retired as a whole given his significance to Tekken, but to make someone new debut on a guest appearance rather than a brand new game in the franchise...I dunno, it feels off to me. Whether someone else can take the torch from him as a 3D fighting game rep is yet to be seen.
We'll have to see about that. If they do come, it'll have to be way later in this cycle, if not next game, seeing as doing them is as big of a challenge as making :ultridley: work out.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Heihachi isn't out because of the VA. Heihachi was in a mobile game earlier this year.
That mobile game has a Japanese version that did the Tekken crossover one to two years ago.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
did he feature a new VA or reused clips? I guess the latter is possible for Ultimate, if not a particularly big show of affection to the characters recreation after how every other DLC was handled
We'll have to see about that. If they do come, it'll have to be way later in this cycle, if not next game, seeing as doing them is as big of a challenge as making :ultridley: work out.
the complexities of translating the limb system to 2D are beyond me, I'll guess even daring to mention SFxT is a terrible idea with how that game was received.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Sora being deconfirmed is actually a big deal, imo he was one of the likeliest characters and one of Phoenixs biggest competitors. Sora would have been the ideal candidate to reveal during the Game Awards. Wow, could it be... Phoenix Wright... facing the biggest case ever... The Ultimate Turnabout

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, :ultincineroar: was Ishizuka's final role before dying. If Heihachi was in the cards, he wouldn't have gotten a taunt cameo by :ultpacman:, due to the timing of that.

I just want to note that Sabi apparently retweeted this claiming there was a hidden meaning they were “scared” to say.

God, please don’t tell me there’s no reveal at TGAs.
That's what I thought last time, but it wouldn't be that.

Oh, it could be Diamond & Pearl remakes!

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I just want to note that Sabi apparently retweeted this claiming there was a hidden meaning they were “scared” to say.

Again, I would take Sabi's words with a grain of salt... but I would accept the possibility that there is nothing at TGA either.

I don't think it's a high possibility but it is one all the same.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace

I'm preparing myself for that in case it happens.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
it sure would be quite the slap in the face to speculators if nothing happened at TGA haha, not that I could stay watching it all like last time anyhow.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228

My only real issue with the fighter pass is a personal one - none of the characters in it are ones i cared about prior to their reveals, although i have grown to love hero and terry since i have played their games, and i intend to play persona 5 and banjo-kazooie when i can, and really like how everyone plays.

Even if we don't get phoenix, the pass would still be pretty awesome for me. if we do, i might literally die of happiness, getting to see phoenix alongside these other legendary characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well at least I'd still get Crash news out of it. No way that'll happen on the next Snore of Pointlessness.

On the other hand, it would prove my view that BIG reveals don't necessarily need to be done at BIG events, so I'm conflicted over this.

Couldn't Jon have waited until Tuesday at least?

it sure would be quite the slap in the face to speculators if nothing happened at TGA haha, not that I could stay watching it all like last time anyhow.
You know what the weirdest part is? Ultimate has several nominations, so it has all the reasons to be there compared to last year.

As long as the thing doesn't last until like 3 in the morning like EVO...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If FP5 isn't at TGA, I don't understand Nintendo's marketing.

FP5 is likely out in January along the next Amiibo Wave. Why wait until the last minute (January, presumably) to announce the character? They could have announced them at the end of Terry's video if they didn't feel they were an appropriate TGA reveal, even if it was a short 30 second teaser.

Just very baffling.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228

It's a Pokemon thing. could be DLC5 is a new pokemon.

While i personally want a gen VIII pokemon in smash, i don't think it would be a very good way to wrap up the fighter pass at all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

While i personally want a gen VIII pokemon in smash, i don't think it would be a very good way to wrap up the fighter pass at all.
I would, it would disprove everyone that thought it was nothing but new third-party series. Besides, we need something to disprove spirits theory somehow.
Also, I'm pretty sure ending things as a bang has never been their priority, like even once. I mean, one of their "epic" E3 Smash 4 reveals was done for :ultpalutena:, so they really just focus on showcasing the latest character when they are ready.

And, regardless of Swish's hardcore fan reputation, it is selling like hotcakes right now, so in a way it'd be a smart tie-in.

If FP5 isn't at TGA, I don't understand Nintendo's marketing.

FP5 is likely out in January along the next Amiibo Wave. Why wait until the last minute (January, presumably) to announce the character? They could have announced them at the end of Terry's video if they didn't feel they were an appropriate TGA reveal, even if it was a short 30 second teaser.

Just very baffling.
Oh boy, here we go, I'm getting "saving it for Jump Festa" paranoia brewing...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It’s not Pokemon.

If I had to guess a first party game it would be Three Houses.

Krankees

Smash Ace

Didn't we already get Gen 8 spirits come into the game. It would be unlikely to get a Gen 8 spirit board after that.
It’s not Pokemon.

If I had to guess a first party game it would be Three Houses.
I would be okay with this but I'm not sure how everyone else would react if we got another Fire Emblem character.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
There is always the possibilty of them announcing a direct on a random date.
Of course. If there isn't a reveal. I hope Nintendo has the decency to say there won't be a new character in the VGAs. Imagine waiting all the night and powering through the furry masks and ads for nothing.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So a new leak appeared... (of course all could be fake, but since Phoenix is on there, I thought I'll post it, who knows):

ELETCXCWsAA1b8V.jpg

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
There is always the possibilty of them announcing a direct on a random date.
Of course. If there isn't a reveal. I hope Nintendo has the decency to say there won't be a new character in the VGAs. Imagine waiting all the night and powering through the furry masks and ads for nothing.
Yeah, maybe sakurai will confirm or deny that tomorrow, like he did when he confirmed there would be a reveal at E3 (Even though it was obvious)

Top Bottom