• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
If the Fighter's Pass ended with either a Gen 8 Pokemon rep or a Three Houses Fire Emblem rep... I wonder which one would cause the bigger trash fire?

On a serious note, I highly doubt we're getting first party until after the pass, the rest of it has been consistently third party. But hey, Smash and consistent character criteria go together like Twinkies and hot sauce, so I could be entirely wrong.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
That leak is sketchy at best. Banjo-Redooie? Really?
After Banjo-Tooie and the never released Banjo-Threeie, that sounds like exactly the kind of ridiculous name devs of this series would come up with for a remake.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Crash Bash remake lol, as if being a 4chan leak wasn't enough.
It does kinda make you wonder, if there's no Smash reveal throughout the month, what's up with all the supposed info floating around as of late that Verge/Sabi commented so much on who it isn't.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Crash Bash remake lol, as if being a 4chan leak wasn't enough.
It does kinda make you wonder, if there's no Smash reveal throughout the month, what's up with all the supposed info floating around as of late that Verge/Sabi commented so much on who it isn't.
I'm thinking Nintendo might have a surprise direct this month or early next month if they don't do a smash reveal at TGA. I doubt they are gonna drop fighter 5 on some random twitter announcement.

But no reveal would be weird since TGA's Twitter keeps going "Hey remember Joker from last year??? Wasn't that cool??? Smash Reveals are so cool right???" and the smash giveaway on the Nintendo website is also happening on the day TGA takes place.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The Joker reveal at TGA last year was probably the most talked about announcement and gave the show free publicity. I can't imagine them saying to Nintendo "no, we won't make room for another one."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, this is so bleeding weird, imagine the detractors:

2018: "Ultimate stole the show, it has no place here!"
2019: "No smash reveal, what the fudge?"

Though come to think of it...remember Jon's Gamexplain report on EVO, in which he speculated that maybe there might be a Smash reveal, without confirming nor denying? Yet here he supposedly has a definitive answer in the form of a joke post.

Really not sure what to think here. Next week is going to be long for entirely different reasons than this week.

Screen_Shot_2018-03-07_at_2.08.13_PM.png

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Well, now that there's the possibility of no smash reveal at TGA's, we could have a full courtroom-like reveal without it feeling like it'd waste people's time.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As much as I want Phoenix for FP5, this is my prediction. Apologies for the crudeness. What do you guys think?
View attachment 250486
I really doubt we'd get this, but I'd buy this pass in a heartbeat.
If the final character is Phoenix, how would you guys rate the Fighters Pass overall?

I'd consider it almost close to perfect, considering Persona, Banjo, and Ace Attorney were basically among the last three significant video game series that I enjoy that have not yet been represented in Smash. Or at least ones that I have a long history with. Probably a 4.5/5 overall.
I'm very satisfied with the Pass as it is, Phoenix would just tip it over into legendary status.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Regarding that lil text "leak", Banjo-Redooie is such an adorable name for a Banjo remake haha
There have been rumors about a PSASBR2 for a while now, but I think the biggest thing is actually those Tony Hawk remakes with how roughly the series ended! It's so cool having people talk about Phoenix and see him as a front-runner <3

As for the pass overall, Joker's cool, Hero's silly, Banjo's charming and real happy for his fans, Terry's kinda hot - he wears red and punches so I'm happy, and if Phoenix finished it I...I really don't know how I'd react y'know? I might cry? I can't even say probably? I THINK what would happen, is it wouldn't feel real for a while, I'd be like "Ha, I knew it! Okay great, finally, yay!" and then later it'll really hit me...OR the trailer with the music and potential references and seeing the mainstream talking about how cool one of my favorite characters ever looks...I mean that could make me cry right away too ha, I really dunno! If it's Phoenix then this pass gets a 10/10 from me! But hey if it's...uh...Dante or Doomguy or whatever, then I still think they did a really great job and made a lot of people happy!

Krankees

Smash Ace
There's a way the Phoenix vs Joker in court case could fit, what if he had to once again defend a client he met before, the phantom thief we first knew.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, now I seriously hope we're not just stuck with Sony's sorry excuse for a Direct as the only noteworthy report besides the VGAs and Jump Festa this month. Otherwise, we won't have anything until February. Just how complex is this next character?

At least I still have the next GP for Nitro-Fueled next Thursday, that'll keep me busy for a bit until I go to watch some movies with my sis.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
If the Fighter's Pass ended with either a Gen 8 Pokemon rep or a Three Houses Fire Emblem rep... I wonder which one would cause the bigger trash fire?

On a serious note, I highly doubt we're getting first party until after the pass, the rest of it has been consistently third party. But hey, Smash and consistent character criteria go together like Twinkies and hot sauce, so I could be entirely wrong.
my guess right now is Pokemon given how controversial the last game turned out, for as overrepresented as FE is, at least people seem to like the newest entry (much as I might disagree on the matter personally). But I honestly don't think either is gonna happen, fighter 5 or elsewhere.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Would be a 10/10 for me as well, if Phoenix gets announced. Sakurai put so much love in each and every fighter of this DLC-pass, especially regarding the music, stage and guest appearances.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
my guess right now is Pokemon given how controversial the last game turned out, for as overrepresented as FE is, at least people seem to like the newest entry (much as I might disagree on the matter personally). But I honestly don't think either is gonna happen, fighter 5 or elsewhere.
I will admit I wouldn't mind a new Pokemon. Yes, Pokemon is way way WAY over represented in the game. But, at least all the Pokemon (besides Pichu) feel completely unique to play as. Pokemon just has a bunch to work with to make something unique.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
With both games actually out I don't think FE or Pokemon will be super controversial outside of a certain vocal side. Personally I'd love a Three Houses rep and the Galar Pokemon are all super charming especially Rillaboom.

As for Phoenix, his inclusion would make the pass a 10/10 for me easily. Joker was a pipe dream. Terry was another pipe dream. Phoenix wasn't a "pipe dream" on those levels but he's still my most-wanted realizable pick. Banjo was a character I wanted as a kid. And Dragon Quest is a legendary series. Every character is so fun to play as and the sheer amount of value packed into each fighter pack is astounding.

Phoenix isn't the only character that would make it 10/10 for me, but it's definitely one of the most personal choices they could make.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Sabi is now backpedaling on the implication that FP5 wouldn't be at TGAs, for the record. So now it's just yet another "maybe, who knows?" to worry about.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Sabi is now backpedaling on the implication that FP5 wouldn't be at TGAs, for the record. So now it's just yet another "maybe, who knows?" to worry about.
*insert kidding unless... meme about Smash at TGA here*
I do think they tweeted before they never implied they heard that was happening for sure, just guessed.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I swear to god if the next character isn’t revealed at the VGAs I think I might just go insane.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Just finished the last case of Trials and Tribulations. What a ride that was! Time to start Apollo. I hope it's as good as the first 3!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Just finished the last case of Trials and Tribulations. What a ride that was! Time to start Apollo. I hope it's as good as the first 3!
I'm in the middle of Apollo myself, and I think it's quite good. I love the perceive mechanic.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I've been replaying the first three Ace Attorney games through the Trilogy release on Switch, having finished the first game and just started Justice for All. I already like this version of the games better than the WiiWare releases (which is how I first played these games). Not only does everything look nicer, but when examining a scene, the game actually tells me which parts of the scene I've already examined, which is immensely helpful since it means I'm no longer getting stumped and examining the same things over and over again.

I also "bought" Apollo Justice and Ace Attorney Investigations on my iPhone... and I put the word "bought" in quotes, because I really only paid a dollar for a small chunk of those games, with the rest of them locked behind a paywall. I plan on eventually giving them a try and seeing if paying more would be worth it, but has anyone here played these versions, and if so, are they any good? I'd much rather buy these games on Switch to be honest, but I know that isn't an option for now.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Apollo was very controversial upon release but in my eyes it's one of the most unique and fascinating entries in the series. It isn't my favorite, but it contains one of my favorite characters in fiction period and has a stunning and beautiful art style and is legitimately very fun to play. It's packed with memorable lines as well and I hope you enjoy it!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
if anything, AJ is still an entertaining timewaster, I went into it with very low expectations, and I can't say I finished the game pleasantly surprised...but hey, time passed as I was plowing through the cases, which is a lot more than I can say about other games.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
?I had fun with Apollo. Whats wrong with it? Controversial? Why>

Krankees

Smash Ace
I would say Apollo Justice did a good job keeping me hooked and motivated to play it. You'll find out why soon.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm currently playing Trials and Tribulations and I'm loving it. Godot is cool af lol.

Between the three original games I don't know which I like more. So far my favorite case is definitely Rise from the Ashes. That case was amazing in my opinion.

The Geno thread seems to be going full steam ahead on Sol Badguy. They believe Capcom got deconfirmed despite the arguments about it.

I still don't understand when his name started popping up. But it kinda came out of nowhere and people just started accepting it as fact.
I guess it's because Fatman mentioned Nightmare, Sol and Lloyd back then. Then Namco was deconfirmed a second time by the NoA source that has Nazyrus (which also said no Capcom), so at that point I imagine some people in the Geno thread went with Sol.
I would say it also helps the decent buzz that the new Guilty Gear is making in general.

Maybe a bit random, but hey I wouldn't complain about him lol. Not that I think he's likely, but I wouldn't be super super surprised if he happens at some point, Arc System Works has a good legacy and history as a developers, maybe not as much like SNK ofc but having an ArcSys rep makes sense.

I think an ArcSys character is the kind of pick that before getting into Smash isn't taken that serious but once that happens most of people ends agreeing that the inclusion makes a lot of sense, like happened with SNK and Terry.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Apollo was very controversial upon release but in my eyes it's one of the most unique and fascinating entries in the series. It isn't my favorite, but it contains one of my favorite characters in fiction period and has a stunning and beautiful art style and is legitimately very fun to play. It's packed with memorable lines as well and I hope you enjoy it!
Oh, wow! You're a big fan of Guy Eldoon too?!?!

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Just finished Apollo Justice don't buy investigations before me

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Apollo should be played for the soundtrack if nothing else. The music reminds me of (JAPANESE) Dragon Ball GT in how there's a big shift in musical tone after years and years of music carrying the same vibe, but then it's gone one game later never to return.

It's the only mainline entry to forgo the original Suspense theme in favor of its own.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
?I had fun with Apollo. Whats wrong with it? Controversial? Why>
These are some of the reasonings I've heard before:
  • How Phoenix character was handled and changed (case 1 has one particularly iffy segment with him, case 4 to a lesser extent)
  • Cases 3 and 4 in particular are not well regarded, the former due to gameplay and just how much of a massive pain the defendant is to work with, the latter due to making a pretty disappointing build up to the masterminds motivations behind everything they've done
  • Apollo being a dull character in contrast to Phoenix
  • The games message on how the JP court system kinda sucks not being all that subtle
  • The characters I've mostly heard disdain for (don't ask me for details as to why)
  • The whole magician subplot being kind of a mess
I don't really agree with Apollo being that dull (although I have perfectly eh feelings towards the dude), and I have no idea about the subtlety of the games jabs at JP own problems, but everything else more or less resonates as to why I don't really like it. I probably would be a bit kinder to the game if Phoenix just was nowhere in sight as I really can't stand his aloof hobo persona
to go into details on his iffy tidbits of cases 1 and 4, I reaaaaaaally hate how he just forges evidences because "lol, how else were we supposed to catch this guy" during the first trial and how he proceeds to treat Klavier as some dummy during his first trial in that flashback just because he had no experience despite everything he went through the first 3 games and how everyone understimated him for being a rookie attorney despite winning most of his cases?
I'll say this, I don't think there's a single post og trilogy game that isn't controversial (and even among those I've heard plenty of disdain for JFA before), so I don't think AJ status as that means much of anything as it did back in 2007-2009.
I've heard a few people call it Takumis contract game, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was tbh, it really felt like he was forced to worth with Wright again instead of doing something entirely new.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
How Phoenix character was handled and changed (case 1 has one particularly iffy segment with him, case 4 to a lesser extent)
I don't understand that criticism - why would Phoenix's character be handled the same way, given that Apollo takes place years later and given how much he's gone through? I'd have been significantly more annoyed if they didn't alter his character.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hot take: I never minded Hobo-Nick. All things considered I felt like his personality was a natural progression of his character, given how his life played out. He's older, wiser and a bit jaded but deep down he's still Nicky boy.

I don't understand that criticism - why would Phoenix's character be handled the same way, given that Apollo takes place years later and given how much he's gone through? I'd have been significantly more annoyed if they didn't alter his character.
This was my problem with the 3DS era, his character went backwards

Last edited:
Top Bottom