• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Kinda strange that the current frontrunners (Phoenix, Travis and Sol) all fit that bill. Do we think there is going to be a direct after the TGA's?
after as in, someday after it? or literally after that? Because I'm certain the later is a guaranteed no given the time.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
You know, this big, long, drawn-out deconfirmation spree has actually made me feel like I might be disappointed if we get some huge, overwhelmingly popular character for FP5. It's been fun having characters that would otherwise be at the bottom of people's prediction lists be called "most likely" or "front-runners."

Krankees

Smash Ace
You know, this big, long, drawn-out deconfirmation spree has actually made me feel like I might be disappointed if we get some huge, overwhelmingly popular character for FP5. It's been fun having characters that would otherwise be at the bottom of people's prediction lists be called "most likely" or "front-runners."
Sakurai putting Terry in the game is one of the reasons I have hope for Phoenix

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Kinda strange that the current frontrunners (Phoenix, Travis and Sol) all fit that bill. Do we think there is going to be a direct after the TGA's?
Sabi has said "maybe, maybe not" in regards to a Game Awards announcement, and whether you believe them or not, there's always the possibility we get nothing Smash-related there. In which case, our next best bet is a Direct in December. It's already been 3 months since the last one in September, so we could always get a Direct focusing on 2020 games this month.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Sabi has said "maybe, maybe not" in regards to a Game Awards announcement, and whether you believe them or not, there's always the possibility we get nothing Smash-related there. In which case, our next best bet is a Direct in December. It's already been 3 months since the last one in September, so we could always get a Direct focusing on 2020 games this month.
If there wasn't a TGA reveal, I would think Phoenix becomes more likely.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
While Phoenix isn't the sort of character I'd associate with TGA, with all the current supposed disconfirmations, I don't think it really matters for his chances whether our next character is revealed there or not, as I frankly find the idea of a Sony character to be pretty much impossible.
I'd also say moreso than Terry, my hopes for Phoenix stem from the state of RE and MH representation in Ultimate, as those were the likeliest to be next in line for a Capcom rep beforehand (and Sabi saying no to Dante for fighter 5 too). AA7 reveal could be potentially scary for an eventual spirit board if he hasn't been confirmed for Smash by then however.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If there wasn't a TGA reveal, I would think Phoenix becomes more likely.
Eh... I think Wright being revealed at the Game Awards is still possible, if only because Nintendo wouldn't care if Wright was "TGA-worthy" or not, much like how they likely didn't care with Cranky Kong...

AA7 reveal could be potentially scary for an eventual spirit board if he hasn't been confirmed for Smash by then however.
Plot twist: We do get an Ace Attorney Spirit Board...

... an Ace Attorney Investigations Spirit Board.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Eh... I think Wright being revealed at the Game Awards is still possible, if only because Nintendo wouldn't care if Wright was "TGA-worthy" or not, much like how they likely didn't care with Cranky Kong...

I think Wright is TGA worthy as well. I just think his chances would rise even higher if a TGA reveal didn't happen.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

that'd leave me all sorts of confused for Phoenix chances.
And some people are apparently taking a Sakurai tweet with a picture of all the dlc characters+ Mario and Daisy as a hint of fighter 5, this fanbase man.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Wright would make for a fitting TGA reveal. He is really popular here and tends to be pretty high on most wanted lists.

Even if you don't know Wright. You know the memes.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Wright would make for a fitting TGA reveal. He is really popular here and tends to be pretty high on most wanted lists.

Apparently he's pretty popular on polls, once ranking 7th on a list of 700 characters

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

no joke, I gave this series a shot due to the objection mr dictionary site (rip old friend). While maybe not many people have played AA, between the parodies, memes, his appearance in UMvsC3 and now the anime, I think it's fair to say he's a Capcom all star.

Krankees

Smash Ace
no joke, I gave this series a shot due to the objection mr dictionary site (rip old friend). While maybe not many people have played AA, between the parodies, memes, his appearance in UMvsC3 and now the anime, I think it's fair to say he's a Capcom all star.
I love watching the Umvc3 phoenix wright highlights because the crowd starts to go crazy when Turnabout mode comes on.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Wow people are really theorizing over that daisy pic on smashjp twitter. This is how you know it's been too long since we got a smash reveal.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
So one idea crossed my mind with regards to what’s going on if we don’t get anything at TGAs. We might have a post-Joker situation on our hands here, where rather than revealing the next fighter when they’re ready to be shown, they wait an extra month/few weeks or so because they know they have a Direct coming down the pipeline, and we potentially see a reveal of both FP5 and a preview of the first fighter for the next batch of DLC, a la Hero and Banjo.

Naturally they’d do that to maximize hype at the end of this FP, potentially as a means to drum up support for a hypothetical second one.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It could happen, but I doubt we'd get a dual reveal for any event other than E3. A benefit they have over the post pass DLC is that there's no set deadline (or number of characters either), so theoretically they can take a longer time in between releases should that be neccesary.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
It could happen, but I doubt we'd get a dual reveal for any event other than E3. A benefit they have over the post pass DLC is that there's no set deadline (or number of characters either), so theoretically they can take a longer time in between releases should that be neccesary.
True. It’s also possible that they just know, for example, that they’re doing a Direct early in January, and figure it’s so close to TGAs that they might as well do the reveal at their own presentation, instead.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This. I actually wouldn't think twice about calling him a gaming all star in general. I've always seen AA everywhere. I never tried the series until a couple years ago and never knew anyone who had. But I knew about AA before I ever heard of Street Fighter or Mega man, and long, long, long before I knew about Resident evil or Devil may cry. Tbh, I always considered AA and Mortal Kombat just about the 2 biggest game series in internet culture. That may not be true anymore, but honestly I think more people know Phoenix than Dante or Leon, even if the games didn't sell as well. I'm sure every last person in the crowd at tga knows who he is, and at least most would be able to appreciate his trailer.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I just bought DD. I hope I'll enjoy it to take my mind off smash speculation.
And to think I would have been so close to escaping this hell of smash speculation at this point....but more was announced. There is no escape.

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That’s a direct deconfirm from Verge, but what about Sabi? I'm hesitant to say for sure until we get deconfirms from multiple sources, but... man. If it's not any of these companies or characters, then who's left? Indies? Some even more obscure company/character?
If this is true, then who in the hell is FP5!?
Like I said in the Newcomer Thread... whoever it is, it's someone none of us will see coming.

After all of this... we're back to square one. The difference is that instead of facing off against RE next season, we're facing off against DMC. Arguably slightly easier, since it only has one big contender instead of two and is smaller than RE, but it's still gonna be an uphill battle.

That said... Phoenix is at his best when fighting against impossible odds. Let's hope, boys and girls. :)

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Reminder that even if Vergeben's source is right, Phoenix could still be post pass DLC. He'll have a lot of competition...but that's nothing new to the Comeback King.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Ok but for real, who could FP5 be then? Valve? Sony? Disney? At this point, I need a list of characters/companies that aren't deconfirmed by Vergeben or Sabi, because I can't keep up with this.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Ok but for real, who could FP5 be then? Valve? Sony? Disney? At this point, I need a list of characters/companies that aren't deconfirmed by Vergeben or Sabi, because I can't keep up with this.
Im vouching for Sony tbh, that would be almost as hype as Nick personally.
I still want Phoenix the most but just seeing a character from a rival company who has never spoken about having a character in Smash would be amazing.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Big ooof… Who knows, maybe his source is wrong this time. Especially if we get a teaser-trailer without any gameplay like last time with Joker it is likely that only very few people (not even the leakers) know about it. I don't give up hope yet.

And considering the "Daisy-Theory", names like Doomguy, Reimu, Arle, Shantae or Waluigi are mentioned, however there is one more candidate:

Athena.JPG

Imo Athena fits much better and has more similarities than any other speculated character;)

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Im vouching for Sony tbh, that would be almost as hype as Nick personally.
I still want Phoenix the most but just seeing a character from a rival company who has never spoken about having a charatcer in Smash would be amazing.
I think I'm going for Valve for this one. Not that I don't want Sony, but Sony doesn't have any games on a Nintendo console unlike Valve. (Valve only has that one Portal spin-off, but it's something) Also, Heavy is my second most wanted newcomer, so I am a bit biased.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
We gotta wait til post pass but it was fun while it lasted. If anything this makes fighter 5 even more exciting to me because it could be so many super wild choices.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I wouldn't put much stock onto my guessing game regardless of our sudden verge update, but under these circumstances given his source is right eh...my "wild choice" is gonna be Quote, given he's pretty much the indie character and I don't think he got the axe under all these publishers purge? Not sure how Travis is looking given Marvelous was listed there and I believe they publish NMH in JP (and I think it used to be Ubi in the west? who also got noped), but who knows.

Top Bottom