• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Verge murdered literally every possible option aside from Saber, a Valve rep that isn't Gordon, a Riot rep, Rockstar, EA, Sony, Cygames and a few others.

Every major player up till now is gone.
Okay.

I mean really, most folks here continue to act surprised when I've been insisting for days that FP5 wouldn't be someone big. Just watch as we get Cooking Mama, should be fun. :smirk:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
There is also a possibility Verg could simply be incorrect about the order of DLC.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
There is also a possibility Verg could simply be incorrect about the order of DLC.
if he was enlisting one or more actual characters sure, but this list of disconfirmations seems like something iffy to get if it's not for the next DLC especifically. Verge has been wrong before, but given how massive this list is and how much of a blow to his credibility it'd be if it's wrong, I'm having a hard time thinking he's wrong honestly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wouldn't it be funny if Sakurai included James Bond after wanting him in Melee back then? I know, it won't happen, but at this point everyone of us runs out of ideas...

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77783892
As fun as that would be, the only problem is that getting an actor's likeness would be more expensive than 10 third-parties combined, especially since Daniel Craig might not be Bond anymore after his latest film.

Besides, I'd settle with Intelleon. :4pacman:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Aight I finally did the thing; I bought the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy on the Switch
First time playing and experiencing this series since the crossover with Layton :D
I expect to be very entertained and at the edge of my seat if that crossover is anything to go by lol :)

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
At this point I'm just waiting for Sabi's response.
If Sabi doesn't say anything today. I will just take a break of speculation until the dreaded VGAs.

BTW I started to play Dai Gyakuten Saiban yesterday. And somehow it feels so fresh and familiar at the same time. You can feel that Takumi is doing the writing.
I love how much aliver the game feels in comparison to DD and SoJ. The characters' body language is so expressive and they emote a lot. Specially Ryunosuke.
That is something I felt the modern 3DS lacked because they were basically sprites disguised as 3D models.
About the plot.
I think I understand why they refused to bring this game to the west. This game basically throws Japanifornia into the trash. Japan having a sub developed legal system and getting adapted to British culture is a big theme here. I hope they use it well and it doesn't end up half-assed like the Dark Age of the Law or the Revolution in Khurain.

I felt Case 1 drawn out too much with its long introduction and should have ended when the curare in the bottle got proved. The thing with the beefstake was pure padding.

Asougi is so cool. I love this character...

He's going to die isn't he? (DON'T ANSWER)

Also... extraterritorial rights are back... yay...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if Tetris is owned by some unmentioned 3rd party, I'd say their spirits event is as much of a killing blow as RE. Speaking of puzzlers, who owns Bubble Bobble/Puzzle Bobble? Edit: Taito apparently, owned by SE, so nope.

Verges updated list of nos:
  • Any Nintendo character
  • Any Konami character
  • Any Sega character
  • Any Capcom character
  • Any Bandai Namco character
  • Any additional Square Enix character
  • Any additional Microsoft character
  • Any Koei Tecmo character
  • Any Arc System Works character
  • Any Spike Chunsoft character
  • Any Marvelous character
  • Any Epic Games character
  • Any Bethesda Softworks character
  • Any Activision character
  • Any Blizzard character
  • Any Touhou character
  • Any spirit
  • Any Assist Trophy
  • Scorpion (Mortal Kombat series)
  • Gordon Freeman (Half-Life series)
  • NicoOlivia003
  • Any Ubisoft character
  • Any Level-5 character
  • Any Nippon Ichi related character
  • Any Falcom character
>NicoOlivia003

Who on Earth is this, and why would they have been expected for Smash in the first place?

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
>NicoOlivia003

Who on Earth is this, and why would they have been expected for Smash in the first place?
it's a joke with another user from gamefaqs he did a while ago, I just ran with the flow and kept it.
While not disconfirmations, I also personally wouldn't put chips on Sony, EA or Rockstar. I guess if there's any moment for Indie characters to thrive, it's this.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
it's a joke with another user from gamefaqs he did a while ago, I just ran with the flow and kept it.
While not disconfirmations, I also personally wouldn't put chips on Sony, EA or Rockstar. I guess if there's any moment for Indie characters to thrive, it's this.
Yeah, or lesser-talked Western characters and/or companies barely anyone expected.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
If we're voting for Indie reps in smash, I 'd love to see Hat Kid. She's so quirky she'd work very well in smash.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly sort of impressed - I'd be pretty excited for quite a lot of characters, and with this many possibilities eliminated, I'm actually having a rough time thinking of many options left that would legitimately excite me.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
On a related note, Nyakuza Metro DLC got put out recently.

As for me, Miriam would be cool, it'd be like having TWO gens of Castlevania in here.
Oh Miriam would be dope. A character that plays like Symphony of the Night would fill the Alucard shaped hole in my heart.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
On a related note, Nyakuza Metro DLC got put out recently.

As for me, Miriam would be cool, it'd be like having TWO gens of Castlevania in here.
it's the closest I'd get to Shanoa, so I'll take what I can get.
With the likes of Shovel Knight, Cuphead and Minecraft (if you wanna throw that down with other indies) out of the race, the only western one that comes to mind that I feel has some degree of a chance is Hollow Knight. Does anyone actually have hope for Yooka-Laylee after :ultbanjokazooie:?
But I'd still say Quote is likelier right now, by quite a margin. Not that there's anything indicating indies are the only choice of course.
Speaking of indies, imagine the breakdown Beck would make after how disastrous MN9 turned out.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm honestly sort of impressed - I'd be pretty excited for quite a lot of characters, and with this many possibilities eliminated, I'm actually having a rough time thinking of many options left that would legitimately excite me.
I can. I'm probably the least difficult person on this site.

It helps that the most minor "HUH!?"-tier options have been eliminated. :ultpiranha:

it's the closest I'd get to Shanoa, so I'll take what I can get.
With the likes of Shovel Knight, Cuphead and Minecraft (if you wanna throw that down with other indies) out of the race, the only western one that comes to mind that I feel has some degree of a chance is Hollow Knight. Does anyone actually have hope for Yooka-Laylee after :ultbanjokazooie:?
But I'd still say Quote is likelier right now, by quite a margin. Not that there's anything indicating indies are the only choice of course.
Speaking of indies, imagine the breakdown Beck would make after how disastrous MN9 turned out.
Oh, I had briefly thought of Beck, but honestly I think Inti Creates would go for Gunvolt or Jason Frudnick instead.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I can. I'm probably the least difficult person on this site.

It helps that the most minor "HUH!?"-tier options have been eliminated. :ultpiranha:
I might just be a little bit salty that Verg deconfirmed both Phoenix and Monokuma simultaneously.

Crushing my Phoenix hope is one thing, but did he really have to stomp out hope I barely had?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
In a way, becoming more knowledgeable on videogames has made me pickier over what I want in Smash, as back in Brawl, I barely knew anyone and I used that game as a motivator to try out a good chunk of the franchises that composed it. I was an ass during Sm4sh speculation and I don't look too fondly at some of my older posts speculating in other sites. I want to believe I got better for Ultimate, and at worst, I'd roll my eyes if a character I don't want gets in, but I can't say this game has been doing much of a job to get me curious to try out the franchises in it I didn't play up until this point. I tried the DQXIS demo after having particularly bad memories of my time with VIII, and it was fine, a good game for sure, but not my cup of tea for a JRPG. I did want to give a KoF game a shot after Terry to see if I could get more hyped for him, and XIV seemed perfect in theory as Nakoruru is even in it, but I just...couldn't get past how damn fugly the whole thing looks.
Maybe Sakurai and co will surprise me and get me curious to try out a new franchise I didn't pay much attention to before, but most of the names I've seen around, likely or not, are things I'm at the very least remotely familiar with, so it's not something I'm counting on honestly.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I might just be a little bit salty that Verg deconfirmed both Phoenix and Monokuma simultaneously.

Crushing my Phoenix hope is one thing, but did he really have to stomp out hope I barely had?
Best to just cut the knot now rather than have people agonizingly be left hanging about whether they're coming next until the last minute, I suppose. :drshrug:

At this point, just start praying he doesn't say no to indies overall, either.

vwRFTkL.png

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
was that phoenix and all nintendo characters deconfirmened then?
To quote a GF post, our current list of "no"s is:

-Any Nintendo character
-Any Konami character
-Any Sega character
-Any Capcom character
-Any Bandai Namco character
-Any additional Square Enix character
-Any additional Microsoft character
-Any Koei Tecmo character
-Any Arc System Works character
-Any Spike Chunsoft character
-Any Marvelous character
-Any Epic Games character
-Any Bethesda Softworks character
-Any Activision character
-Any Blizzard character
-Any Touhou character
-Any spirit
-Any Assist Trophy
-Scorpion (Mortal Kombat series)
-Gordon Freeman (Half-Life series)
-Any Ubisoft character
-Any Level-5 character
-Any Nippon Ichi related character
-Any Falcom character

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To quote a GF post, our current list of "no"s is:

-Any Nintendo character
-Any Konami character
-Any Sega character
-Any Capcom character
-Any Bandai Namco character
-Any additional Square Enix character
-Any additional Microsoft character
-Any Koei Tecmo character
-Any Arc System Works character
-Any Spike Chunsoft character
-Any Marvelous character
-Any Epic Games character
-Any Bethesda Softworks character
-Any Activision character
-Any Blizzard character
-Any Touhou character
-Any spirit
-Any Assist Trophy
-Scorpion (Mortal Kombat series)
-Gordon Freeman (Half-Life series)
-Any Ubisoft character
-Any Level-5 character
-Any Nippon Ichi related character
-Any Falcom character
arent they one of the less reliable sources?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
If any of you dare even mention Accolade and Bubsy, I'm gonna slap you with a

But honestly, after all these disconfirmations, I think the only thing that'd shock me is if Verge gives Sony the go, or he says it's not a videogame character entirely (which I imagine should never happen with how much Sakurai reiterates Smash will never stray away from that).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Verge tends to be luckier at the end of a reveal pattern. He wouldn't be doing any of this if he wasn't 100% sure about trusting the sources he's picked.

Also, I would laugh for days if the princess from Gainax's Princess Maker 3 was FP5.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
God, I wish I was a Sony super-fan right about now. They're just about the only group of folks who can look at this and go "MY DAY HAS COME."

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I have too much hope to stop now, and whatever's going on is clearly weird, even shocking the Verge leaker guy himself. He's been wrong about Minecraft, was only 99% sure about Banjo even after more reliable leakers leaked him because he's scared to get things wrong, and even before Ultimate's "Everyone is Here" trailer reported that Zero, Phoenix Wright, and others would be in, so I think the Smash team or Nintendo are being sneaky and spreading misinformation behind the scenes. This is clearly the strangest nonsense in speculation so far! Maybe some are used to it by now since I guess these two have been deconfirming stuff for a bit, but "deconfirming" stuff is weird!

The Game Awards seem especially secretive, nobody came forward with Joker early... It just feels like a trap, y'know? A wiiild goose chase! Pretty fun though!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
God, I wish I was a Sony super-fan right about now. They're just about the only group of folks who can look at this and go "MY DAY HAS COME."
That'd be like, pigs flying during a blue moon, as Hell freezes over before they even agree to aid their competitor after PSASBR failed. The only way that'd happen is for a Switch compilation for some of their games to be revealed.

so I think the Smash team or Nintendo are being sneaky and spreading misinformation behind the scenes.
Seeing how easily their info leaks, that's even harder to believe.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'll reinstate, I'm with :ultkirby::ult_terry: on Sony. Microsoft started to show all sorts of buddy-buddy moments with Ninty for people to start to believe in Banjo, whereas PS has been nothing short of a stubborn mule to even allow crossplay, a tweet from one of their studios and their participation in a Smash tournament does not change this.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
That'd be like, pigs flying during a blue moon, as Hell freezes over before they even agree to aid their competitor after PSASBR failed. The only way that'd happen is for a Switch compilation for some of their games to be revealed.
I agree that it'd be absolutely bonkers, but like, if it's not an indie rep, I'm genuinely not understanding what other possibility there is.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I agree that it'd be absolutely bonkers, but like, if it's not an indie rep, I'm genuinely not understanding what other possibility there is.
Lesser Western company, or, even more unexpectedly, a brand-new character from an unrevealed game IP, the absolute least expected possibility. That's pretty much the best I can come up with at this stage.

Is 2b still in it?
Yeah no, they clearly said no SE.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Lesser Western company, or, even more unexpectedly, a brand-new character from an unrevealed game IP, the absolute least expected possibility. That's pretty much the best I can come up with at this stage.
I keep telling people they're sleeping on League, but they never listen. XD

Jokes aside, even if you forego Sony and CDPR there's Riot, Valve's other IPs, Type Moon and Cygames. Still a few companies alive.

Top Bottom