• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
inb4 that Cygames character leak from ages ago turns out to be true and comes back to haunt us from the grave.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So basically leaves us with Sony, EA, Valve (sans Gordon), an indie (Hollow Knight, Cadence, Quote), Rockstar/2K, or someone on the fringes like Maxwell, Saber, or Cooking Mama.

If Verge's source holds up, then I am inclined to believe the frontrunners now could be Kratos, A Sim(Bella/Mortimer Goth), Maxwell, Cooking Mama, The Heavy/Scout, and Saber.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
TIL Cooking Mama isn't made by Nintendo lol.
I can't say I'd be mad over Cole Phelps putting his investigation skills to the test, but even after all this, I wouldn't count on either EA or Rockstar still.
Wasn't Fate an eroge or something initially? I dunno if that could prove problematic or not honestly.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Quoting the timeless Blade Runner: "It's too bad we won't live, but then again, who does?"

Hopes will be back after FP5.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Cuphead is Microsoft.
this, and with how one of the creators wanted to push Cuphead for DLC when that was well already in development, I dunno how much he could say stuff like that that under NDA. While I don't expect something that'll convince me of a purchase, I sure as hell am curious on whos this mysterious 5th character already.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
With that insane amount of disconfirmations I think my money is on Geralt from The Witcher right now.

It doesn't even seem that far out of the realm of possibility now that The Witcher has had a crossover with Daemon X Machina.

(Is there a reason people are thinking we're getting a Valve rep, or is it just because they can't think of anyone else?)

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I can't believe we reached the day when a Sony character may actually be a realistic possibilty.
I have always secretly wanted Ratchet and Clank in Smash. I guess they are the characters I'm rooting for now...

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
With that insane amount of disconfirmations I think my money is on Geralt from The Witcher right now.

It doesn't even seem that far out of the realm of possibility now that The Witcher has had a crossover with Daemon X Machina.

(Is there a reason people are thinking we're getting a Valve rep, or is it just because they can't think of anyone else?)
Doesn't Geralt originate from a series of novels? I dunno if that really matters when the Codename STEAM guy was turned into a spirit despite having the same origins but eh.
I'm gonna guess Valve is discussed as it's one of the most well known western devs despite having little to no association with Nintendo, Half Life, Portal and Team Fortress were all huge.
....Though, if Spirits can be fighters too, i'm rooting for Shantae, or maybe Geno
The post said no spirits or AT either.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, I can't even be mad or upset, considering how much of our competition also got deconfirmed by the man. It's actually kind of amusing. Is it just me?
It's not just you. This means that fighter 5 is gonna be an insane pick, no matter who it is, and I love getting blindsided by weird ****.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Doesn't Geralt originate from a series of novels? I dunno if that really matters when the Codename STEAM guy was turned into a spirit despite having the same origins but eh.
I'm gonna guess Valve is discusses as it's one of the most well known western devs despite having little to no association with Nintendo, Half, Portal and Team Fortress were all huge.
I think Geralt is definitely a grey area...

but honestly I think it's a lot easier to justify including the protagonist of a very popular videogame (The Witcher 3) that happens to originate from a book series, then a character like Goku who's far more known for his anime appearances than his video game appearances.

After all, Geralt as we know him is largely his video game version. I couldn't tell you anything about what his book form is like, though I've heard there are a lot of differences.

Bottom line is I'm not really convinced Sakurai would exclude Geralt as a possibility.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I can't believe we reached the day when a Sony character may actually be a realistic possibilty.
I have always secretly wanted Ratchet and Clank in Smash. I guess they are the characters I'm rooting for now...
I don't even bother putting Ratchet and Clank on my wishlists just to avoid getting hopes up for them lol

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

There was also a collaboration crossover between Monster Hunter World and The Witcher III. Not to mention, Geralt is a guest character in Soulcalibur VI.

I've mentioned Geralt before as the one non-video game character Sakurai would put into Smash, but I brought it up with a big fat asterisk going "if Sakurai were to make an exception to the 'no non-video game characters rule'", which I never thought was even remotely likely... yet, it's starting to look likelier and likelier as we creep closer to the reveal.

The Witcher series did start out as a series of Polish novels... but at this point in time, the CD Projekt Red video games have completely eclipsed those novels in popularity, to the point that most people think The Witcher is a video game series instead. Hence why I think Geralt would be the one potential exception to the "no non-video game characters" rule.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I care about only one Playstation character, Cole McGrath, so I hope Verge and Sabi are wrong for this one.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
I'm gonna guess Valve is discussed as it's one of the most well known western devs despite having little to no association with Nintendo, Half Life, Portal and Team Fortress were all huge.

The post said no spirits or AT either.
It doesn't
IMG_20191207_080252.jpg

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Knowing how durable Phoenix is... what if Sabi comes out and says Verge is full of BS and the character is from a company he dismissed.
That would be hilarous and scary at the time. This community is already tearing itself apart.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It's not just you. This means that fighter 5 is gonna be an insane pick, no matter who it is, and I love getting blindsided by weird ****.
Tell me about it. At this point, I'm willing to hold out for Arthur Morgan, with a nice confirmation of RDR2 coming to Switch! Lol.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Knowing how durable Phoenix is... what if Sabi comes out and says Verge is full of BS and the character is from a company he dismissed.
That would hilarous and scary at the time. This community is already tearing itself apart.
We already have Sabi acting iffy about their previous NoA insider saying Capcom was deconfirmed. Now I'm curious to see how they're gonna react to Vergeben essentially body slamming 99% of all video game characters in existence.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd eat the hat that I don't own if it's possible to port RDR2 on Switch with how ridiculous that game is.
That would hilarous and scary at the time. This community is already tearing itself apart.
Even if that meant a character I actually want could happen next, I'd rather not TBH, this whole thing is enough of a crapshow as it is, we don't need another grinch/ESRB division.
Thinking of picking up Terry in light of these news, that stage with 50 tracks is super tempting.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
After Verge's post I guess Wright will have to wait for post-pass... I hope he makes it in.
But yeah, Vergeben is putting his credibility on the line. As I said in the other thread I'm starting to think his source has some bad info or has been leakbaited in some form. I mean, it's not likely but not impossible. Last year everyone expected Metroid Prime Trilogy at the TGA which clearly seemed as leakbait from Nintendo and we finally got Joker in Smash.

Maybe something simillar is happening.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
At this point, all my money is going in on Gordon Freeman. I think he makes a bit more sense than Heavy right now.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If we're talking about possible Valve reps, what about Chell from the Portal games? Those games were a big deal and have a lot of memes (especially GLADOS) surrounding them.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So what about Tetromino? Which company does Tetris even belong to?
(I know there was a Tetris block spirit thing, but no Tetromino spirit)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'll say this once: Half-Life has not gotten a single Nintendo appearance, ever, so unless a Switch collection shows up out of the blue, Gordon's unlikely to me. This is like the Tracer incident all over again, but at least she got an OW port.

So basically leaves us with Sony, EA, Valve (sans Gordon), an indie (Hollow Knight, Cadence, Quote), Rockstar/2K, or someone on the fringes like Maxwell, Saber, or Cooking Mama.

If Verge's source holds up, then I am inclined to believe the frontrunners now could be Kratos, A Sim(Bella/Mortimer Goth), Maxwell, Cooking Mama, The Heavy/Scout, and Saber.
Seeing Sony's stance on collaborating with their competitors, I see them getting in here unlikely.

Okay, can someone recap what happened, I was asleep.

So what about Tetromino? Which company does Tetris even belong to?
(I know there was a Tetris block spirit thing, but no Tetromino spirit)
Tetris Company, and Henk Rogers has a stranglehold on it, so I wouldn't expect them at all, sadly.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Even if Tetris is owned by some unmentioned 3rd party, I'd say their spirits event is as much of a killing blow as RE. Speaking of puzzlers, who owns Bubble Bobble/Puzzle Bobble? Edit: Taito apparently, owned by SE, so nope.
Okay, can someone recap what happened, I was asleep.
Verges updated list of nos:
  • Any Nintendo character
  • Any Konami character
  • Any Sega character
  • Any Capcom character
  • Any Bandai Namco character
  • Any additional Square Enix character
  • Any additional Microsoft character
  • Any Koei Tecmo character
  • Any Arc System Works character
  • Any Spike Chunsoft character
  • Any Marvelous character